Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Second worst pain imaginable? (Read 15127 times)
DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Re: Second worst pain imaginable?
Reply #25 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 9:40pm

Linda_Howell wrote on Jul 27th, 2008 at 9:33pm:
It counts for a lot Potter.

Especially since that happened to you while defending our country.

Linda

I couldn't have said it better myself. Smiley

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #26 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 10:45pm

Not sure one can really rate pain as it varies so much from person to person. But for now, my vote goes to Potter too.  Wink

And all of you stop being grumpy with each other or I'll........I'll do something really really bad to you! Grin

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #27 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 10:50pm

Guiseppi wrote on Jul 27th, 2008 at 10:45pm:
And all of you stop being grumpy with each other or I'll........I'll do something really really bad to you! Grin

Guiseppi

Do you use that line on the job?   Wink

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #28 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 11:04pm

Potter,
It does count for a lot. Most of us, myself included have been fortunate enough to never have experienced anything so traumatic or anything else nearly as painful as CH. So, we have nothing to compare it to. Your opinion and perspective is rare and valuable. Thank you very much for sharing.

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #29 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 11:13pm

I have had gall stones, herniated disks, torn rotator cuff, blown out a knee, and also the last thing which I thought was of equal level with a kip 10 was when my fellopian tubes twisted around 3x killing my ovary.  It knocked me to my knees and the dr carried me into the er.  He couldn't figure why I didn't come in sooner and I said the pain wasn't as bad as a cluster headache and he just looked at me in disbelief and then after surgery he became my best advocate for dealing with my ch and not belitteling it.  I read several years ago on the net here I believe that amputation without anastesia was suppose to be the only thing worse than ch.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #30 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 2:08am

If you get hit by level 10+ clusters then that is the worst pain known.

Pain is highly subjective and interpreted differently by other afflictions in the brain and individually by each of us.

An impacted tooth affects the same nerves and is close after dealing with one for a week and the pain building.

Like potters amputation most of us will never be able to understand the pain he was subjected to. I'm sure it was more than memorable. If he says clusters are worse I believe him. I bet that wasnt the first thought at the time though.

Same for a lot of other pain issues. Its comforting to suggest CH may be the 2nd worse pain though.

MJ

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #31 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 8:42am

Kip-10s are without question the most pain I've suffered, but surely more painful must be the suffering of those who see us go through it and are powerless to help.

My heart goes out to our supporters.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #32 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 10:26am

Exactly Brian, our supporters go through hell with us. Imagine what it must be like to see your beloved ones in an immense state of pain, while being unable to take the pain away.
My parents were great supporters back then (I've had them since my final year in high school...the CH that is, not my parents  Wink). My dad still races from the other side of the city when I call him.

My gf Sonja (pronounce Sonya) has seen me go through 3 episodes now, and I know it scares her to death. Still she does anything to offer some relief, bringing me water, energy drink, something frozen. I do not even have to ask, she just knows what to do.
I remember one particular nasty one last episode. Had a 10 from about 23:30 hours to just before 3 in the morning (for some reason I keep track), going through each room, groaning moaning screaming begging to any God who would listen, throwing myself to the floor or on the sofa, and she stayed by my side the whole time. Unfortunately, about 30 minutes after that another really heavy one started. I had to ORDER her to go to bed lol, or she would've stayed up with me all night.

Funny thing though. Whenever I'd wake up and as soon as I got out of bed, she was awake too. No matter how hard I tried not to wake her up, it won't work. Seems as if she is on red alert as soon as I get into cycle.

Sorry for going on and on, just had to say it.

PF vibes to all.
Pascal.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2008 at 10:27am by maalstroom »  

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Sandra von der Laage
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 10:42am

You are a lucky man, Pascal, to have such a wonderful girlfriend.  The power of love can work wonders.
Love,
Sandra

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 12:25pm

It is the worst pain known to man. At least this man. Heartache ranks a big second. All the rest they have dope for.

POTTER...YOU DA MAN!!!!!
Killem all and let God sort em out.
Thank you for giving your all....and more.
thebb

IP Logged

irishsully
CH.com Newbie

call you congressman

Shelby Twp, MI
Reply #35 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 2:58pm

I dont know about the second but i have had a two story 2x 8 wall fall on me, full sheeted with windows and ill take that, over a bad 3 hour CH, I had a bad military accident where my arm was violently ripped out of the socket, (fully recovered, kinda, with alot of surgerys) and ill still take that over CH. So I Imagine that alot of things written about what is or is not worse are written by those who have not suffered a 3 hour battle with the beast only for it to return 2 hours later to laugh at you and tell you im back ***** you ready? I know your all out of Imitrex and that O2 dont work with me. feel me? Im commin? thats the differnce with accidental amputation, amputation is usually quick, immagine if it were done with a dull butter knife, and you had to make an appointment, say everynight about 2 hours afer you feel asleep for weeks, months. Something about knowing the pain is coming makes it so much worse.
Sorry if i sound bitter, am going through a bad bad cycle.

irish
irishsully05  
IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #36 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 3:14pm

I have never had any pain even remotely comparable to a Kip 10.  CH to me, is THE most painful experience I have ever had.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 3:37pm

I don't think anything would top the loss of a loved one.  I have not ever personally lost anyone, but have beared witness to the pain of many that have.  If I never have to go through that I will be happy to hang on to CH for my lifetime.

Thomas

IP Logged

midwestbeth
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 8:44pm

Quote:
I don't think anything would top the loss of a loved one.  I have not ever personally lost anyone, but have beared witness to the pain of many that have.  If I never have to go through that I will be happy to hang on to CH for my lifetime.

Thomas

Physical pain of ch and the emotional pain of losing a loved one are apples and oranges........not the same thing.  That being said, I would choose ch over the loss of a loved one any day.

Beth

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 9:30pm

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think anything would top the loss of a loved one.  I have not ever personally lost anyone, but have beared witness to the pain of many that have.  If I never have to go through that I will be happy to hang on to CH for my lifetime.

Thomas

Physical pain of ch and the emotional pain of losing a loved one are apples and oranges........not the same thing.  That being said, I would choose ch over the loss of a loved one any day.

Beth

I prefer to call it comparing headache to heartache.  Pain is pain, they both affect body, mind and spirit.  So, in the spirit of the posted question, I would have to place the pain of CH second to the pain of the unimaginable...

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #40 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 9:30am

Linda_Howell wrote on Jul 27th, 2008 at 9:33pm:
It counts for a lot Potter.

Especially since that happened to you while defending our country.

Linda

These words will surely be inadequate but thank you Potter, for the service and sacrifice you made for me and my family.  You and all of the  other brave men and women that have fought for our country are the reason that we can live the lives we live! 

It should be called "Sacrificedom" instead of Freedom.  Maybe people would appreciate it more!

Blessings,

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #41 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 2:29pm

Potter, I second Linda and Jean's comments, and everyone else who's chimed in to thank you.

As for rating pain... hmm... when civilians ask me about these "headaches" I get, I try and describe them, but I doubt it really hits home. To be expected I suppose. One thing I've hit on recently is to compare it to the familiar "brain freeze" of eating something cold too fast - the very extreme and most debilitating first few moments, that hard quick searing shot - and then tell the person to try that on for an hour or so, a few times every day for a few months. And then I add that this is still inadequate. Which tends to quiet them down.

I can't of speak for things like cancer, limb amputation or of course childbirth, but for men, a hard shot to the jewels is a pretty tough row to hoe...

David

IP Logged

midwestbeth
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 4:02pm

A recent experience has me explaining it this way.

Have you ever stubbed your toe really hard on a sharp edge?  You remember that initial searing &%$!# pain that eases off to a dull throb? Well, keep that searing pain constant and stick it in your eye....for kicks put it in your jaw, then your sinuses and leave it there for an hour or so.  That is how I have described the pain.  On top of the pain there is there non-stop sinus draining, eye tearing and forehead sweating.  All of this causes us to pace scream and cry and hide..........

Beth

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #43 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 10:09pm

I don't know...  I would think that 3rd degree burns over 70% of your body would be more painful than my CH's.  Just happened to a guy yesterday who works at the paper mill with hubbys Uncle.  It'll take at least 7 months to recoop, but we'll see...

I don't usually compare my pain with others.  Thresholds are all different. Undecided

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

cash5542
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|Ocean Pines|USA|usa|498|141|MD,Maryland
Reply #44 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 8:44pm

I am a supporter so I can't begin to speak for the pain. It is all so different that it seems futile to compare. A kip 10 hit appears to be awful, horribe and any other bad word but when the o2 sets in it's over until the next round. I am with Melissa and would vote for a burn patient. Several years ago one of my students was severaly burned inside her lungs and 90% of her body. Eventually the pain left her body but she spent 6 months ina burn unit. She came back to us scarred and miserable, unable to run and play. She wore guards across her face and hands to protect the tender new skin. This went on for the 2 years I had her until she went onto middle school. I've lost track of Melanie over time. I'm sure Potter's injuries in those early days were as miserable. Hopefully Melanie has learned to adjust as well as Potter has.

Charlotte

cash5542  
IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #45 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 9:06pm

Charlotte, nothing will touch a kip 10 for me.  I can only wish there was something that did...

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

cash5542
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|Ocean Pines|USA|usa|498|141|MD,Maryland
Reply #46 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 9:13pm

Melissa wrote on Aug 5th, 2008 at 9:06pm:
Charlotte, nothing will touch a kip 10 for me.  I can only wish there was something that did...

I'm sorry Melissa. I remember the first months with Lisa how hard it was until she got o2. I can't imagine going through that again.

Charlotte

cash5542  
IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #47 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 1:53am

Hi all,

This question wasn't meant as a ''rating my pain'' thingy. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.
I'm just very interested which pain syndrom is worse. Anyone knows this? Still can't find it back, have been back and forth searching.

What is so horrible about CH to me is, that the pain is so constant throughout a hit. If you burn your hand while cooking or putting something in the oven, it hurts like hell for a few moments, but then subsides. CH doesn't have that. A kip10 means to me, being tortured up to 3 hours with knitting needles being jammed into my eye, temple, on the top of my skull, seering pain in my cheekbone and eyesocket and so forth. So to me, that is the worst pain I know.

But which pain is objectively even worse? Any ideas?

Thanx, Pascal.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #48 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 8:40am

maalstroom wrote on Aug 13th, 2008 at 1:53am:
But which pain is objectively even worse? Any ideas?

Thanx, Pascal.

I've always thought that CH was the worse pain.  Don't know where you got the "second worse pain" information from.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

StressFree
CH.com Veteran

James4:8 I'm a moral failure,
but there is hope...

Ridgecrest, California
Reply #49 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 1:01pm

Some good points here regarding different types of pain, even emotional pain. Also, how pain is perceived and thresholds, etc. I often have taken the view that I am aflicted with CHA  to humble me (and how!). Also, I've come to believe that God is real, and suffers the pain of each of us alive in this physical world - and all at the same time! Considering the number of people starving, dying slow deaths from so many diseases, and so much hopelessness in the world - I view the full impact, of all of this, as immense pain for the Creator looking on, as well as feeling with, each of us that he has created. Fortunately He is strong and able to keep going. He also will help us through our agonizing attacks, as hard as it is to understand why we have to suffer like this. I try to realize there is more pain, than I will ever experience - even with multiple-dailly hits. I have been in remission for several years at this point. So easy for me to say - but I did think this way even when in a long cycle. Please forgive me if you can't relate to this point of view. I'm going to post a poem that in part expresses this. I wrote it early on in my dealing with Clusters. I think there is a forum for this - going to look now.
Hoping PFDAN's for you all, Rich

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!