Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Questions about episodic cycles for you... (Read 2565 times)
Conradk1
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minot, ND USA
Questions about episodic cycles for you...
Aug 13th, 2008 at 2:54am

My cycle began May 2nd.  Primary left side for the pain.  Two almost 3 months later it stops and swaps over to the right side...I'm on a steroid taper but they are busting back through...had a nice week of relief totally.  Has this particular routine ever happened for any of you before the beast finally took his claws out and you went into your normal remission period???  Normal remissions for me are between 2-3 years.  Let me know what's up...thanks for being there!   Shocked

Conrad Koerner

IP Logged

tuck
CH.com Veteran

Damn this cross is heavy
!

Gillespie , Illinois
Re: Questions about episodic cycles for you...
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 3:57am

sorry to hear your hurtin dude, I have been a lefty for over twenty years. NEVER have been hit on the right side, EVER. I am sure someone hear can offer you a bit of knowledge on the matter. The pred. always kills my cycle. Your situation sounds a bit unique, but, as others have said before me, "the only predictable thing about CH is,,, they are UNpredictable".  Good luck.    Tuck

cancer shmancer,, i get cluster headaches!

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 5:31am

Like Tuck, i've only been one sided for 15 years.  Unfortunately I don't have the pred. success like him.  I have tried that, but when I went off, they came back and worse.  The good thing about your espisodic condition is that you're remission is relatively long, but that switch sided thing sounds scary.  That bad thing is you, like all of us suffer from this annoying beast and when it strikes, it's horrible.  Good luck and I hope you're PF soon.

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 8:23am

The "switching" sides is not common, but it's not really "unusal" either (did that make sense?). We've had a lot of posts lately of this happening.

I'm chronic and have always been a lefty, but last year during a "high cycle" mine switched over to the right side. Weird. They switched back to the left and have been on the left ever since. Guess Mr. Demon just wanted to show me what he could do - I didn't even try to figure it out.

Hope you have a long remission.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

michael
CH.com Old Timer

x1|nottingham|United_Kingdom|europe|177|217|
Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 8:27am

I have always been primarily right sided. But I have had occasional episodes that have been left sided. I also have had very occasional lefts in a right sided cycle.
Once, about 25 years ago, just as you, I had a 3 month right cycle followed immediately by a three month left cycle.
I stopped trying to make sense of it many years ago.

Mike
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2008 at 8:28am by michael »  

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 10:47am

Right sided 30 years, have never gone left. Like Barbara said, not common but several have posted about switching sides. I'd still mention it to your doc and have all the usual checks. I've always worried about ignoring something wrong with me cuz I tend to lump all my maladies into the "related to CH" category!

As far as your "predictable" cycles going haywire....prior to turning 40 they were setting the atomic clock by the regularity of when my cycles started and stopped. I hit 40 and they started bouncing all over the place. Nowadays I just keep 8 E-tanks in my garage year round so I'm never caught unprepared.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Layla328
CH.com Hall of Famer

Boston
Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 12:03pm

My last cycle mine switched to the right side for one of the final hits of the cycle (go figure--it had never happened before).  And yes I did have a normal remission.  Sometimes I think the switching sides can be a last ditch effort of the beast to override the body's efforts to normalize itself out (and go back into remission).  It's kind of like it is thinking "hmmm....let's try the other side".  If you have been one-sided for a long time, I don't think it will have much luck on the other side since it is at the end of your cycle.  good luck to you!!!

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #7 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 1:07pm

Guiseppi wrote on Aug 13th, 2008 at 10:47am:
... I'd still mention it to your doc and have all the usual checks...

As good a tip as you'll get anywhere free for nothing, but the switcheroony is common for some of us and as scarey as all get-out.

I've been right-sided, left-sided, top-and-bottom sided, side-swiped, sliced, diced and pureed. Recently beat off a major port-side torpedo-attack to find the bombers coming in on my starboard bow only the following morning!

I wore 'em down and won again but (and you wouldn't read it in Rippley's) it switcheroonied again and starts coming up through the top of my hard palate, boiling the contents of my nostril, then doing its best to remove my eyeball through my ear.

Yet I've never regarded myself as "chronic", regardless the time involved.  Every invasion is a seperate war to be fought on its own merit.

Recognise your enemy, respect your enemy, and as quickly as it changes tactics so must you.

It's in your mind to do it.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 4:51pm

The only time the demon switched sides on me, it was prompted by  some "new",drug therapy. Keppra I think. I dont see that neuro any more.
thebb
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2008 at 4:52pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #9 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 7:56pm

Guiseppi wrote on Aug 13th, 2008 at 10:47am:
Right sided 30 years, have never gone left. Like Barbara said, not common but several have posted about switching sides. I'd still mention it to your doc and have all the usual checks. I've always worried about ignoring something wrong with me cuz I tend to lump all my maladies into the "related to CH" category!

As far as your "predictable" cycles going haywire....prior to turning 40 they were setting the atomic clock by the regularity of when my cycles started and stopped. I hit 40 and they started bouncing all over the place. Nowadays I just keep 8 E-tanks in my garage year round so I'm never caught unprepared.

Guiseppi

I could have written THAT, with just a couple minor changes. 26 yrs for me, atomic clock went kablooie around 47, I keep 4 tanks at ALL times.

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 9:06pm

I am lefty side ch'er, but with that being said occasionly mine has switched sides. pretty much much i figuare that the abnormal is the normal.

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 9:28pm

I despise episodic sufferers some times because I’m jealous of what it was like to have HA PF time as a 6 year chronic, but I know that pain is pain whether you have it all the time or not.

It took some time for me to be able to sympathize with the episodic announcement of a fellow sufferers cycle starting at a bad time in their life when I am always having a hard time with the crap myself.

I’m thinking out loud again so PF to all, Rolo….

By the way, I keep 5 M and 3 E tanks in my stock and always a left sider. Wink
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2008 at 9:42pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!