Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A Surge In Clusters? (Read 6908 times)
Mike_E
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Santa Monica|Noflag||0|0|CA,California
A Surge In Clusters?
Aug 16th, 2008 at 3:32pm

My  Los Angeles  neurologist who specializes in migraines and clusters, reports an uptick in cluster patients  over the past year.  The theory is this could be caused by stress due to disruption in the film/tv industry during the recent writer's strike, or it could be a stress response to the current economic melt-down.

Has anyone else noticed a cluster surge?

m

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Re: A Surge In Clusters?
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 3:57pm

Are you serious?

Or do I misread your post?
Coz of stress there are more clusterheads? Sorry, buddy, not sure of what to make of this post.

Greetings, Pascal.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy
CH.com Old Timer

Greetings from outer space

Northpole
Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 4:12pm

Your neuro is a keeper, he knows the cause of clusters. Roll Eyes  The cure can't be far away now.

Smiley

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

BrianJ
CH.com Veteran

Take It Easy

|Liverpool|England|
Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 4:25pm

So the decline in TV is what causes my CH i better improve my DVD collection as the writer's strike is really messing with my head ??

Sorry for my responce but there are children starving to death and approx 1.6 million people dieing violantly every year world wide and you think the decline in good TV shows is a cause of stress sorry but you live in a very shelterd world if thats the case

if there is a rise in CH i would say it is more down to the changing weather patterns all over the planet due to global warming.

And mabey the fact orginizations such as ouch and this wonderful site are finally getting the message out there so more GPs are diagnosing people correctly instead of people suffering for 10 years or so first

Regards
Brian
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2008 at 5:13pm by BrianJ »  

PF Wishes to all.&&We all live with this crap But it is not who we are dont let it control you!!!.

IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 5:11pm

Mike_E wrote on Aug 16th, 2008 at 3:32pm:
My  Los Angeles  neurologist who specializes in migraines and clusters, reports an uptick in cluster patients  over the past year.  The theory is this could be caused by stress due to disruption in the film/tv industry during the recent writer's strike, or it could be a stress response to the current economic melt-down.

m

Hey Mike, just my opinion, but I think your neuro's theory is just that... a theory. I find it amusing, really, and I agree with Brian. With all the things that cause us stress, a strike in the film making industry? Ueli is right, a cure can't be far behind...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 5:12pm

Probably the "disease of the week" syndrome. Which means word is getting out. This is the flip side of that. More people hear about it, they say, "Hey, that's what I have." They read the list of symptoms and then describe what they "have" to their doc. Since CH can't be diagnosed through means other than an analysis of the description of symptoms (unless it's observed by a doc), voila, more people have cluster headaches.

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 5:24pm

AlienSpaceGuy wrote on Aug 16th, 2008 at 4:12pm:
Your neuro is a keeper, he knows the cause of clusters. Roll Eyes  The cure can't be far away now.

Smiley

LMAO!

Thanx for that.
Pascal.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

washed-out
CH.com Junior

Native Engrish Speaker
:D

Poland
Reply #7 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 6:35pm

oh my...

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #8 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 6:46pm

I think your neuro's assessment of the situation is off base - but Gary's 02 supplier has seen a "very large" increase in the number of 02 scrips for clusters each year for the past five years.  I think this is due to neuros finally understanding 02 helps abort these things.  First neuro Gary saw never even mentioned it.

While stress may cause attacks some times and for some people, if stress caused clusters, everyone here would be taking valium and/or practicing yoga.

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #9 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 12:51am

I don't know about stress per se, but stress that causes sleep disruption has been a big factor for me in the past.  I am guessing that these writers/actors/cameramen/set-builders etc had a lot of stress in their lives before the strike and economic downturn.  If they became unemployed and their day/night cycles got screwed up because they didn't have to show up for work everyday at the same time, that could possibly trigger clusters in people who are predisposed.  
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2008 at 12:53am by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 10:44am

Srry and i am no actor, but your doctor putting us and them in the same boat is an insult in my mind.
I agree this site may bring closet suffers out for help and hypocondriacs something new to have. its a double edge sword.
no  i am not deminshing your pain or you but i have had it up to my neck with doctor's and the theories.
sorry doctor's are a sore point with me.
pf day's to you friend, i was just venting a little.

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 11:00am

Quote:
no  i am not deminshing your pain or you but i have had it up to my neck with doctor's and the theories.
sorry doctor's are a sore point with me.

And yet it is these same doctors who hold in their hands the golden ticket to lower levels of pain for most of us - the prescription pad.

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 11:00am

You may want to consider the logical fact that with the explosion of the internet as an instantly gratifying source of information could be the reason so many more cluster heads don’t go 10-15 years without proper diagnosis any more.

The people in LA are no doubt trying to put a class action law suit together so they can get work comp for their voluntary time off striking.

Rolo… Grin

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #13 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 11:55am

... could be caused by stress due to disruption in the film/tv industry during the recent writer's strike, or it could be a stress response to the current economic melt-down.

Neither.  It's the carrots.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #14 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 2:24pm

Why overlook the obvious...  A far more logical explanation is education on the topic of cluster headaches and a rising level of awareness.

CH.com is leading the pack in both categories thanks to DJ and Stephie

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 2:30pm

My  Los Angeles  neurologist who specializes in migraines and clusters, reports an uptick in cluster patients  over the past year.  The theory is this could be caused by stress due to disruption in the film/tv industry during the recent writer's strike, or it could be a stress response to the current economic melt-down.

m

When you say "uptick," do you mean newly diagnosed CH, or a higher number of people reporting that they are in cycle to your neuro?

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #16 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 5:04pm

Statistics is a often a subject best left in the hands of professionals....

Scott

IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #17 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 6:20pm

seasonalboomer wrote on Aug 17th, 2008 at 5:04pm:
Statistics is a often a subject best left in the hands of professionals....

Now, that is a contradiction of terms.  Wink

edited because I can't format.   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2008 at 6:21pm by purpleydog »  

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #18 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 10:21pm

Garys_Girl wrote on Aug 16th, 2008 at 6:46pm:
While stress may cause attacks some times and for some people, if stress caused clusters, everyone here would be taking valium and/or practicing yoga.

Laurie

Well, I think what we all can agree on - at least from what I've read here on the message board - is that each of us has different triggers, cycles, levels of intensity, treatments and so forth. I also live in LA and visit a local neurologist knowledgeable about our condition. He's said nothing to me about clusters of clusters, whether strike-induced or not. He did indicate that he felt that stress was definitely a factor.

Again, I can only speak personally. But after 4 cycle-free years I had my first one again this past spring. It coincided, as I've mentioned in earlier posts, with a major event in my life - my brother telling me he needed heart surgery. Certainly this may not have had anything to do with my cycle and there will never be a way to determine it unequivocally. But I'm the worrying type, he's my last immediate family member, and... well, you fill in the rest.

Now, to the strike-induced cl. of cl. issue. I agree, it sounds preposterous and perhaps - given everything else people around the world are going through and the generally coddled nature of the film industry (at least at the upper echelons) - even insulting.

But I note that the poster lives in Santa Monica, which does indeed have a sizable population of movie and TV industry types. I also note that, living here and being a writer, and therefore having kept perhaps a bit more abreast of the strike than the casual reader of these posts, it did indeed cause great financial hardship for a lot of people. Understand, I'm making no value judgment about the causes of the strike or its resolution, nor its importance or lack thereof to world events. But people lost their homes, their health insurance and so forth, certainly stressful events. Coupled with the greater knowledge (I hope!) about our condition out there in General Doctorland, and maybe even teased a bit by people trying to get in the last hurrah examinations (and having time to do so, moreover) by their GPs and so forth before their insurance flew south for the winter...

Anyway one Santa Monica neurologist might well have seen an extra CH patient or two as a result and, voila!, a theory is born.

Of course I could be full of shit about all of this.

David

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #19 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 11:36pm

Great post balachine!

IP Logged

clusterstopper
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #20 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 6:30am

Hi;
MIGRAINE SURGERY & SELFCURE VIDEO

You can see video of (doctor) who stole all my work!:

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #21 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 7:48am

Stress.... ummmmmm   Guess I'm the oddball out here -- seems when I'm under a lot of stress Mr. Demon deserts me... go figure that one.

But unfortunatly I'm a pretty laid back person and don't get stressed out real often and when I'm "relaxed" is when I get hit the worst (I'm chronic and have noticed that at my most "laid back" times is when I hit a high cycle).

Right now I'm in a "high stress" area and the headaches are pretty well holding at a mild level.... so I guess the writers strike didn't bother me too much.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 7:57am

clusterstopper wrote on Aug 18th, 2008 at 6:30am:
Hi;
MIGRAINE SURGERY & SELFCURE VIDEO

You can see video of (doctor) who stole all my work!:

You are just so darned cute when you're impersonating a doctor.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #23 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 10:23am

On the other hand...if a couple of really famous stars get diagnosed with CH...think of the opportunites for advancing our cause!

Guiseppi....

(Who is NOT wishing CH on a big star...but still Roll Eyes)

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #24 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 10:24am

BarbaraD wrote on Aug 18th, 2008 at 7:48am:
Right now I'm in a "high stress" area and the headaches are pretty well holding at a mild level.... so I guess the writers strike didn't bother me too much.

Hugs BD

Barbara, just you wait until the actors go out in a few weeks. Why, baristas in Starbucks from Brentwood to Malibu will quake! Porsche mechanics all over town will be cutting back on their Hawaiian vacations! We'll all.... we'll all... be forced to watch actual re-runs!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!