Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How I killed my CH cycle (Read 4201 times)
geosailor
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

How I killed my CH cycle
Aug 21st, 2008 at 1:43am

I took 25 mg/day of Topomax for 14 days & my CH cycle seems to be gone. This was the first time I've used it.

Side Effects: minor  bleeding in diarreha but this could have been caused by a couple Frova pills I took during the first few days of the 14 days.

Please add your successes & side effects to this thread so we can have a handy compilation of what works.

IP Logged

Jeff_M
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: How I killed my CH cycle
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 7:08am

Im just wondering as I often do,when someone states they're pain free after taking any type of med is...How long were you in your cycle BEFORE you started the meds?

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 10:17am

Topomax is a popular preventative med for CH, also referred to as "dopeymax" due to some experiencing the "dopeys" as one of its side effects. Wink Hadn't seen it used to abort a cycle before. I'm guessing you may have been near the end of a cycle, the topomax did it's job of holding them off until your cycle ended.

Either way, you're pain free and that's always cause for celebrating. May your remission last an entire lifetime!

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 11:03am

Nearly all the conventional medications I've seen discussed here at CH.com seem to be more-or-less effective at suppressing symptoms until an episodic cycle goes away.  As far as I'm aware, none of them will actually shorten or end the cycle itself.  The claim is made that some unconventional treatments will do this, however.

I'm happy to hear that your treatment regimen has been successful.  There is no better news around here.   Smiley

Best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 11:15am

Good news. Glad it worked. Be careful, what works now may not work next time. Keep the CH tool box handy.

Quote:
Please add your successes & side effects to this thread so we can have a handy compilation of what works.

RC seeds rock. Shrooms Rock. Kills the demon in his tracks. The whole episode.......side effects include: pain free time, saving money from not buying pharmacuticals.
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 9:51pm

Quote:
Good news. Glad it worked. Be careful, what works now may not work next time. Keep the CH tool box handy.

Quote:

RC seeds rock. Shrooms Rock. Kills the demon in his tracks. The whole episode.......side effects include: pain free time, saving money from not buying pharmacuticals.
all the best
thebb

never tried the rc seeds but everything else bb mentioned worked for me too. can't say that it stopped ch dead in it's tracks but it did phase out rather quickly.  Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

geosailor
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 11:15pm

Tx all for the support.
In answer to a few of the questions/comments  above:
a)I was about 6 weeks into my cycle when I started taking Topomax

b)my doctor(who is also a CH'r) prescribed Topomax as a preventative & Frova to treat specific attacks. I had 2 mild attacks when I first started taking Topomax then a few days of shadows which was followed by pain free days.

c)I'm surprised that the low dosage (25 mg/day) of Topomax worked when I read that others take over 400mg/day. Maybe its due to the fact that this was my first usage of the drug and my body wasn't yet immuned to it.

Here's to wishing you all success in ending your CH cycle!

IP Logged

hurts_so_good
CH.com Junior

Hate headaches, love Linux

Lurgan, UK
Reply #7 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 6:17pm

geosailor wrote on Aug 21st, 2008 at 11:15pm:
b)my doctor(who is also a CH'r)

It must be great to have a doctor who has CH. Would he or she mind if we all dropped by some day?
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2008 at 6:17pm by hurts_so_good »  

Help defeat cluster headaches - use Linux
imnotanaccountant  
IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 11:05pm

Some folks have been IN CYCLE for more than 30 years, what say you to them?

IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Sponsor

There is no such thing
as a stupid question.

Jamestown, NC
Reply #9 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 3:40pm

[/quote]

never tried the rc seeds but everything else bb mentioned worked for me too. can't say that it stopped ch dead in it's tracks but it did phase out rather quickly.  Smiley [/quote]

rc seeds - dead in it's tracks.

Sandy

Lean on me, when you're not strong, cause we all need somebody to lean on.

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #10 - Aug 24th, 2008 at 6:36am

geosailor wrote on Aug 21st, 2008 at 11:15pm:
a CH'r)  Frova to treat specific attacks.

I have used Frova too.  I can't use it to treat 'attacks'  because Frova usually takes 2 hours or so to kick in.  I've used it to prevent attacks along with my verapamil dosage.  I would take the Frova about mid morning  and it would keep an hit at bay til the next morning.

IP Logged

Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Reply #11 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 11:09am

Where can you get RC seeds in the US???

To accept the challenge is the destiny of leadership.
WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

angela.lambert
CH.com Veteran

Support Alaska Commercial
Fisherman

petersburg,alaska
Reply #12 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 8:28pm

me too, me too...is it the clusterbuster website i've heard about?

angela

The Beast, the Beast, the Beast is on Fire!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=15  
IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #13 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 9:20pm

The clusterbuster website has links where you can buy RC seeds in the US.

IP Logged

lennycohen
CH.com Junior

Clemmons, NC
Reply #14 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 6:02am

I killed mine off with IV depakote - in cycle for 3 months, on 1500 mgs/day oral, and 500mgs IV once a week for 4 weeks - timing of IV is 2 HA's within 36 hours, get another IV, mine worked out to about 1 per week. After 4 IV's, pain free. A fter 1 month pain free tapered off all meds (was combining depakote with lithium as well). Off all meds for 4 months, but I seem to feel like I'm going to start an episode soon - shadows, a HA woke me up last night, so I'm going to hit the depakote early, see if I can stave it off.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 10:43am

Seeds at:ethnobotanicals.com
Iamshaman.com

clusterbusters.com
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

Ernie Moss aka Wishbone
CH.com Junior

Birmingham, AL
Reply #16 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 11:14am

Also seeds at ethnogarden.com  They actually have a special going on right now buy 1 get 2 free. 5g $35 but you would get 15g for $35.  These are seeds for planting of course, not injesting.  Grin

It don't cost a nickel to be nice and by being so you might just make someone's day.&&Ernie Moss

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 11:24am

Nobody eats those seeds Ernie. Wink Flowers are too pretty.
all the best Cool
thebb

IP Logged

geosailor
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #18 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 8:03pm

Those considering RC seeds should note the following from Wikipedia:

"The seeds of many species of morning glory contain ergot alkaloids such as the hallucinogenic ergonovine and ergine (LSA). Seeds of I. tricolor and I. corymbosa (syn. R. corymbosa) are used as hallucinogens. The seeds can produce similar effect to LSD when taken in the hundreds. Though the chemical LSA is illegal to possess in pure form, the seeds are found in many gardening stores, however, the seeds from gardening stores may be coated in some form of mild poison in order to prevent ingestion or methylmercury to retard spoilage.[3] They should not be taken by people with a history of liver disorders or hepatitis. They should not be taken by pregnant women as they can cause uterine contraction which can lead to miscarriage. Individuals with a history of cardiovascular disease (Heart attack, blood clot, and stroke) or a family history of such problems, and the elderly should avoid consuming these seeds due to their vasoconstrictive effects.["

Alos more good info at: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

[edit] Gallery

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!