Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Topamax (topiramate)--side effect (Read 815 times)
Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Topamax (topiramate)--side effect
Sep 1st, 2008 at 9:29am

I assume this effect is dependent on the duration the drug is used but--suggest you print this report and give to your doc. When faced with any med side effect profile, the issue is always balancing benefits/negatives.
-------------

Profound Hypocitraturia Follows Topiramate Therapy

NEW YORK  Aug 22 - Topiramate therapy can induce profound declines in urinary citrate levels, which may lead to urinary stones, according to a report in the July issue of Urology.

Several case reports in the last decade have highlighted topiramate-associated urolithiasis, the authors explain, but prospective investigation of the phenomenon has been limited.

Dr. Brad W. Warner and colleagues from the University of Kentucky, Lexington, assessed changes in urinary citrate levels in four patients scheduled to begin topiramate therapy.

Mean urinary citrate levels declined by 65% after a 50-mg dose and by 52.9% after a 75-mg dose of topiramate, the authors report. In the two patients taking 100 mg of topiramate, urinary citrate levels declined by 74% and 62% from baseline.

"The average final citrate level was 215.5 mg/day, well below the 320 mg/day generally accepted as defining hypocitraturia," the investigators point out.

Urine volume and urine creatinine levels did not change significantly with rising doses of topiramate, the report indicates, and there were no significant changes in urinary calcium or urinary pH.

After a mean follow-up of 11.4 months, two of the four patients had developed symptomatic urolithiasis, the researchers note.

"These findings provide a basis for possible increased stone risk in patients taking topiramate," the authors conclude. "Citrate replacement therapy may be considered in these patients, but the efficacy of this therapy in the topiramate population is unknown."

"Prescribing physicians need to be made aware of the potential risk of stone formation in patients treated with topiramate," writes Dr. Margaret S. Pearle from University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, in a related editorial.

More studies with longer follow-up and serial imaging will be needed to establish the incidence of stone formation in topiramate-treated patients.

Urology 2008;72:29-33. [Medscape, 9/1/08]
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2008 at 11:08am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Sponsor

"L'Chaim"~Hebrew Toast~"To
Life"

Boothwyn, PA
Re: Topamax (topiramate)--side effect
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 1:27pm

Interesting to note they appear to have discovered the rationale behind topiramate-linked stones!  I think we have had a few members here get stones while on topamax.  Wasn't Unsolved one who got stones on it?  I might be remembering completely incorrectly.  I do remember at least one or two people reporting it!

Fortunately never had stones while on it.  My problem was the cognitive side effects.  When I first took topamax, it was reported as a "very rare" side effect.  Now they know better...!

Take care,
Carrie Smiley

~~"Don't know much about your life. Don't know much about your world, but Don't wanna be alone tonight on this planet they call Earth."~~
Lizzie2 Lizzie2 Lizzie52004 NeoNurseChic  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!