Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Who's been a Beast Warrior the longest? (Read 6003 times)
jjslugdog
CH.com Junior

Dance all night!

Alabama
Who's been a Beast Warrior the longest?
Sep 1st, 2008 at 11:01am

This has probably been done several times before, but as I'm infrequent, I was wondering.  Who's been diagnosed and battling the Beast the longest?  After a few months of remission, day before yesterday I ate breakfast, 30 minutes later, was in the midst of a 9-1/2.  Fortunately,  I still had a nearly full "C" bottle of O2 in my office {I work at home}.  Didn't help that one, but has been mostly God sent since.  I was diagnosed in 1980, and have tried just about everything under the sun.  After 3 heart attacks, the good stuff is out of the question.  Used to use it, though.   Smiley

Timeslowing, forever, exquisite pain is like the Marine Corps. The few, the proud, the brave.

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Re: Who's been a Beast Warrior the longest?
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 11:08am

With all due respect, what difference does it make?

IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus

Clusterbusters

Los Lunas NM USA
Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 11:17am

First cycle 1973

Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea. We three are one in loneliness, and the love that binds us together is deep and strong and strange.~Kahlil Gibran
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 11:43am

jj, I"m with Brew on this one. We've never had an occasion to worry about who's had CH the longest or who hurts the worst. Some have been MISdiagnosed for 20 years or more and some have been diagnosed right away (thanks to this website), but one hit is ENOUGH...

If you've got CH - you've got CH -- we just accept...

Hugs BD
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2008 at 11:44am by BarbaraD »  

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 1:04pm

But then again, there are those, Like BarbaraD who is so old that she was one of the first cases ever in history to get them...  I think it was around the time of Noah's lil boat incident ...

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 1:09pm

jjslugdog wrote on Sep 1st, 2008 at 11:01am:
have tried just about everything under the sun.  After 3 heart attacks, the good stuff is out of the question.  Used to use it, though.

YUP!  Know the "everything under the sun" routine VERY well!

And I know the heart attack problems too, my first heart attack was in 2002, and several since then ...  My neuro will not prescribe trex for me due to that, but she also knows that I get it through various means, and take it.

I think, even though I am doing it illegally, both my cardio and neuro need to know what I am taking.

Chuck, the 29 year host of the beast

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

tuck
CH.com Veteran

Damn this cross is heavy
!

Gillespie , Illinois
Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 1:24pm

I am pushing 24 years . But, the more I think about it, well,, us long time sufferers know what to expect, and normally when to expect it, and have a pretty good arsenal to fight it. Newbies have it rough, its scary, your confused, in pain, and ignorant to fighting methods. But, no matter how you slice or dice it,,,,, it sucks!!!!!!!!!!!! I wont get into a long dissertation "why I think CH has made me a better person", but in all honesty,,, I think it has!            Tuck

cancer shmancer,, i get cluster headaches!

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 1:31pm

tuck wrote on Sep 1st, 2008 at 1:24pm:
I wont get into a long dissertation "why I think CH has made me a better person", but in all honesty,,, I think it has!      

I am glad that it has done that to/for you, Tuck, but unfortunately, it apparently has not done that to me.

They said I was an a$$hole back BC (before clusters) and they still say I am an a$$hole ...  Oh well ...

Chuck

ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #8 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 1:38pm

ClusterChuck wrote on Sep 1st, 2008 at 1:31pm:
tuck wrote on Sep 1st, 2008 at 1:24pm:
I wont get into a long dissertation "why I think CH has made me a better person", but in all honesty,,, I think it has!      

I am glad that it has done that to/for you, Tuck, but unfortunately, it apparently has not done that to me.

They said I was an a$$hole back BC  and they still say I am an a$$hole ...  Oh well ...

Chuck

There, I FIXED it for ya....  Wink  And we've tried SO hard to make you into a NICE person, but you work so hard at being an A-hole...

And that little "boat ride" was supposed to be a 3-hour cruise - Noah lied to me!! The damn barometer dropped and that's HOW CH started kiddies.... Now you know the REAL story!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Hugs BD

IP Logged

jjslugdog
CH.com Junior

Dance all night!

Alabama
Reply #9 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 3:33pm

Brew & Barb...
I wasn't trying to say anything, which maybe y'all thought.  I'm on other boards of interest, like a couple of Marine boards, and every now and then we see who is the saltiest.  Just wondering.  That's all.  If you don't want to tell, don't freakin' tell.  Why even spend the time to answer the thread?  Who hurts the worse???  Geeeezzzzzz.
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2008 at 3:35pm by jjslugdog »  

Timeslowing, forever, exquisite pain is like the Marine Corps. The few, the proud, the brave.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 4:29pm

jj - honey don't take offense at our jibes -- it's just never been brought up and we've never thought about it...

That would be a hard one to figure out cause some have been misdiagnosed since they were children and some for years and years. I really can't figure out when mine actually started. I know when they got bad and when I got diagnosed, but to actually say when they started, the more I think about it -- the further back I can go, so it's really a mystery to me. I just feel like it might be the same for others as well.

Guess that's just one of those questions that most of us won't be able to answer. Sorry...

Hugs BD

IP Logged

pubgirl
CH.com Hall of Famer

The next person who calls
it a migraine eats teeth

x0|London|United_Kingdom||0|0|
Reply #11 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 4:38pm

jjslug

MUCH easier to ask who is the oldest sufferer, then Mean Old Charlie will claim he is and all the women will lie about their age Wink

W the B

Calling all Brits (and anyone else- all welcome) Join OUCH UK and help us fight CH together

IP Logged

gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Reply #12 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 4:41pm

pubgirl wrote on Sep 1st, 2008 at 4:38pm:
MUCH easier to ask who is the oldest sufferer, then Mean Old Charlie will claim he is and all the women will lie about their age Wink

LOL - you made my day!

IP Logged

gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Reply #13 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 4:46pm

As Barb already said.
I could tell you when I was diagnosed but I can't tell you when I got them.
Only thing I know: I was a kid back then

Oliver
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2008 at 4:47pm by gizmo »  

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 5:10pm

First headache was in 1972 and I was chronic for the next 31 years.

I believe George is up to 40 years, but I could be wrong.

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #15 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 7:58pm

Quote:
I believe George is up to 40 years, but I could be wrong.

You're right, Jonny.  First one I got it was in 1966.  I was very lucky to be diagnosed the first time in 1969, so I never had the years of misdiagnosis that others had.  I've been episodic the whole time, though.

I think there's a couple people around who've had it longer than me.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Kirk
CH.com Alumnus

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

Harts Lake, WA
Reply #16 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 12:43am

The first CH I can recall was in May of 69. Since you are on Marine boards. I passed the boards for my first Masters ticket (150 tons) June 1968. Its been real and its been fun. But it hasn't always been real fun.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
kirkevrrt 161860987 kirk_jones511 2607+395th+St+CT+S  
IP Logged

itotka
CH.com Old Timer

Oxygen

Budapest|Solar System
Reply #17 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 2:05pm

Only 26 years here. But 14 yrs mis/undiagnosed from that. Smiley

WWW itotka  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 2:12pm

CHenz lying about their age? Tell me it's not true. Grin
I do remember the day's before Imitrex. That's scary.
thebb
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2008 at 2:14pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Reply #19 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 9:26pm

22 years all up - ok I'm done, I lose, I don't want to play anymore  Wink  If only it was that easy.   Diagnosed about 7 years ago.

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 11:07pm

jjslugdog wrote on Sep 1st, 2008 at 3:33pm:
If you don't want to tell, don't freakin' tell.

I didn't.

Quote:
Why even spend the time to answer the thread?

Because I thought it was an inane question, and I wanted to point that out. That's all.

IP Logged

Geewilly
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 11:35pm

With all due respect Brew, I will point out that you do like to troll yourself...eh?

Ofcourse, you get kuduo's!

P.S.  I just bumped Brew with a plus to rep!

IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Reply #22 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 12:50am

I know a guy through the grapevine named Tony Paap.  He was the CEO at the Oakland Childrens Hospital until he retired a few years ago.
He said he has been suffering since the early 60s.  Back then, doctors did surgery to have the nasal septa resected, thinking the pain was due to broken noses,etc., so he had at least one surgery on his nose/sinus area.  He was diagnosed in 1976.
He is lucky to have known Neil Raskin of UCSF for a long time and has had him as his primary neuro.  He never did find any preventative to help him, but took all the ones that we talk about.  Triptans seemed to make his Ch worse, so he is not able to use those.

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #23 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 9:52am

I wasn't even alive in the 60's so I lose.  But I am at about 13 years almost to the date of my first real CH pain. But I can now recall symptoms back in highschool, junior year.   That strange eyeball pain where I thought I needed glasses and asked my geometry teacher if I could sit in the back of the class.  That would be 18 years.  But I count 13 and have been diagnosed for 8 years now.  And yes I fear it everyday to some degree.  I live my life as full as I can but I know at any minute, the SOB can start to dominate my life again.  And I think its about to make an early return.

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Reply #24 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 11:37am

13 years almost to the date of my first real CH pain
22 years all up
Only 26 years here
May of 69
chronic for the next 31 years

A very depressing thread considering I am only 3 years into the club.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!