Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cant sleep ?? (Read 3553 times)
BrianJ
CH.com Veteran

Take It Easy

|Liverpool|England|
cant sleep ??
Sep 15th, 2008 at 2:12pm

Hi all anyone else experianced this, since my cycle ended i cant sleep im awake till 3 or 4 am then im up for work at 7am i have try taking the melatonin to help me sleep but i just cant switch off anyone else experianced this and any advice would be greatfully recieved thanks

Brian

PF Wishes to all.&&We all live with this crap But it is not who we are dont let it control you!!!.

IP Logged

midwestbeth
Ex Member

Re: cant sleep ??
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 3:15pm

Hi Brian,

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time sleeping.  I go through periods of insomnia and I can relate.  Unfortunatly, I don't have any advice other than the common sense things like avoiding caffeine and waking at the same time every morning.  If it becomes a problem that does not go away, you may want to give your Dr. a call.

Beth

IP Logged

BrianJ
CH.com Veteran

Take It Easy

|Liverpool|England|
Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 4:54pm

thanks beth i think thats what ima have to do its effecting work they reluctantly accept my cycles but not sure if they will accept this it would not be that much of a problem but i have to drive for a living

thanks for your support beth PF wishes to you
Brian

PF Wishes to all.&&We all live with this crap But it is not who we are dont let it control you!!!.

IP Logged

tuck
CH.com Veteran

Damn this cross is heavy
!

Gillespie , Illinois
Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 5:15pm

brian, sorry to hear you are having troubles. I have worked shift work my entire life,(well, since 1984 anyway), talk about crazy sleep paterns!!! there is NO way I could EVER regulate my paterns, which everyone says is a key factor in controling your CH. I have found in the past during shift changes that the only way to "bust" a goofy patern, such as insomnia, is to just bite the bullet and DONT sleep. For example, pick say, a thursday, assuming you work friday and are off sat. Thursday night dont even TRY to sleep. Rent yourself a handful of movies, buy a bunch of munchies and simply commit yourself to staying up all night! Yes,, Friday you will be in shitty shape, but,,, Friday night you should sleep like a log. DONT over sleep saturday! get up at  a decent time, and maybe that will "bust" your insomnia. This remedy has worked for me. Well,,, just a suggestion.    Good luck,,,Tuck

cancer shmancer,, i get cluster headaches!

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 5:38pm

How long before you go to bed, do you take the melatonin?  Sometimes you have to take it 1.5 - 2 hours before you go to bed.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

BrianJ
CH.com Veteran

Take It Easy

|Liverpool|England|
Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 2:45am

thanks tuck i will try that if nothing else works its a little hard with me having to drive for work to stay awake for 24 hours but i will try

Agostino Leyre i tke it about 1.5 befor bed it makes me sleepy just does not make me sleep i just cant switch off for some reason gonna go the doctors today see what he says

thanks guys
Brian

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 3:27am

Sounds like you have a bit of what happens to me going on, Brian.  A cycle really disrupts my sleep cycle, and it always takes a few months after the thing has ended to re-enter a "normal" pattern.  For me.  Which doesn't involve a lot of sleep, true...   Roll Eyes

It's not so much that I'm insomniac.  It's more like I'm gunshy about sleeping for a while after I go out of cycle.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

darknight
CH.com Veteran

Ever danced with the devil
by the pale moonlight?

x0|Manchester|Great_Britain||0|0|
Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 8:49am

Hi Brian,

Sorry to hear that ur not sleeping well.
One of my favourite past times is sleeping but since being diagnosed i find it hard to sleep.
My only help has been via my doctor who gave me some sleeping tablets that i use sparringly to catch up or just to knock me out after an attack, please be aware i am given 1 months perscription that i use over a period of 5-6 months.

May help but sorry to hear!!!

PFD TO ALL

This is My Gift My Curse!!

IP Logged

BrianJ
CH.com Veteran

Take It Easy

|Liverpool|England|
Reply #8 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 11:46am

Hi guys mabey that is it George i dont know i just cant switch off i hope it dont take a few months to get backto normal  2 cycles a year lasting 6 weeks each dont leave me that many months between cycles Smiley fingers crossed for 10 year remission but wont hold my breath Sad

the doc said he can and would give me some heavy sleeping pills but i cant take em, drive all week and on 24 hour call the week end

i think i will try upping my melatonin dose tonight from 6mg to 12mg see if that knocks me out lol

thanks for the support guys just knowing you guys are here helps me relax

PF wishes to all
Brian

IP Logged

darknight
CH.com Veteran

by the pale moonlight?

Reply #9 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 12:42pm

Why dont you ask the doctor for a mild sleeping tablet (effects last up to 4hrs). They are used as a sleeping aid to stop your mind from racing and relax you into a natural sleep!!

It should not effect your driving provided you take them at a reasonable hour!!

Good luck
SI
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2008 at 12:43pm by darknight »  

IP Logged

BrianJ
CH.com Veteran

Take It Easy

|Liverpool|England|
Reply #10 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 2:35pm

thanks darknight if the melatonin at a higher dose dont work i will speak to the doctor again my doctor is the type that gives you anything you ask for but will not suggest anything its like he does not listen he just says yes he is good in that i dont have to argue but he really cant be arsed otherwise

Brian

IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy
CH.com Old Timer

Greetings from outer space

Northpole
Reply #11 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 5:22pm

Try this:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Smiley

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #12 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 5:26pm

Hot, kinky, adventurous, and energetic sex, before going to sleep used to work ... (If I am remembering correctly, all those years ago)

Chuck

P.S. Try using both hands at once, and see if that helps.

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

darknight
CH.com Veteran

by the pale moonlight?

Reply #13 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 4:44am

I do think Alien spaceguy is onto summit lol!!!

My Doc is quite similar if i ask for something i will useually get it. knowing more about the condition than them he is probably more willing just to accept what you say, maybe thats a good thing and you may not be understanding his actions!!

CLuster chuck you got the wrong site u want clustersexheads.com!! lol

IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 9:51am

i am thinking of you buddy, please be careful driving if sleep deprived i wouldnt want anything bad to happen.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #15 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 11:31pm

I guess I'm lucky, the cafergot will keep me awake a day or two but once the cycle ends I'm good. Probably time to see the doc and see if he can do something to reset the old clock. Good luck, sleep deprivation sucks!

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

BrianJ
CH.com Veteran

Take It Easy

|Liverpool|England|
Reply #16 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 3:27pm

Thanks Guys

You are all wonderful i think im finally cracking it 9mg of melatonin and cut out the cafine and im geting 5 hours or so, i can defo live with 5 hours a night.

A special thanks to chuck i can always cound on your for the best advice lol

PF wishes to all
Brian

IP Logged

Kilowatt3
CH.com Old Timer

1952 Jag

Lake Charles, Louisiana - USA
Reply #17 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 12:16pm

BrianJ wrote on Sep 16th, 2008 at 11:46am:
i think i will try upping my melatonin dose tonight from 6mg to 12mg see if that knocks me out lol
thanks for the support guys just knowing you guys are here helps me relax

Brian,

Instead of increasing your melatonin dose, try REDUCING it!  Believe it or not, with melatonin a smaller dose is usually more effective at helping you sleep than a larger dose.  One study showed the optimum to be about 300 mcg (that's 0.3 mg), and a side effect of too much melatonin is insomnia!  Go figure!

Hope this helps,
Jim

Regards,
Jim
SW Louisiana

If "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger", then how come I always feel like $hit after every near-death experience?
WWW kilowatt3  
IP Logged

BrianJ
CH.com Veteran

Take It Easy

|Liverpool|England|
Reply #18 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 5:00pm

Thanks kilowatt3 i will try that Smiley

Brian

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 6:59pm

Hi everyone has given great advise I think most of use with ch have had this happen before,  broken biological clocks.  I know I cant get to sleep 90% of the time and it gets frustraighting I dont know if Im scared to go to sleep or what but even if I only slept two hours the night before I still seem to have a hard time getting to sleep.  I dont know if any one had recommended benidryl (Diphenhydramine hydrochloride) not sure if thats spelled right. Its an otc antihistamine.  Im sure others here are more educated than I am on this med but it doesn't seem to interact with my other meds and it helps me get to sleep,  I dont recommend talking it daily but once in awhile just to get caught up on your sleep.  Good luck    Phil

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!