Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
amitryptaline side effects (Read 1966 times)
worst pain ever
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

amitryptaline side effects
Sep 27th, 2008 at 10:42am

Hi

I am taking 50mgs of amitryptaline before bedtime each night. Lately I have been noticing some strange things in my behavior and I would like to know if anyone else taking this drug has noticed the same things. Lately it seems that I have lost all drive to do anything but the most necessary tasks such as work and school. I don't want to do any of the leisure activities I used to such as paint,play guitar,or ride my motorcycle.I am also experiencing trouble urinating.I am/was a very creative person I paint all the time and practice guitar religiously, I also like to ride my bike all the time. But lately it's as if I have lost all desire to do any of these things Cry.Has anyone else experienced this?
wishing PF days and nights for all.

Thanks

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: amitryptaline side effects
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 11:32am

Suggest you explore buttons (left) for a site with drug information. Try, PDR.com.

Memory says all these effects can come from several of the drugs in this class.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

on my knees
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 1:18pm

try taking your bedtime dose much earlier (hours). it lets the down time coincide with sleep time more.
if this is a new med for you lots of time it improves as the body adjust.
always get medical advice or at least advice from a pharmacist.
like bob said many meds cause different things also they interact with each other. and new medical issues that coincide.

IP Logged

ninja mom
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 3:14pm

Dear Worst Pain,
Could be a side effect of the elavil (amitryptaline) although it sounds like depression.  And elavil is a tricyclic antidepressant.  I take 25 mg at night to help me sleep-and have not noticed those side effects-but I'm no doctor and you may want to talk to yours about this.
(Just a note here: my sleep meds-which have helped with nighttime hits are: 25 mg elavil, 9-12 mg melatonin, 20 mg citalopram, and 25 mg benedryl.  Seems to keep the beast at bay during sleep, which makes day time hits more easily dealt with as I'm not as exhausted.)

PFDAN,
kathy
edited because I'm mariginally smarter than a 5th grader  Cheesy
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2008 at 3:15pm by ninja mom »  

Words count, chose carefully.

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 5:40pm

Hi Worst Pain,   I took amitriptyline in 2002 and remember all the side affects plus an increased appeitie and I was only taking 20mg at bedtime but they all went away after a month or so.  I am now taking 100mg of nortriptyline witch really has a knock punch when I first started taking it I would be sleeping with in 15 minutes and I was only taking 25mg back then.  My point being I dont seem to have the fatige during the day from nortrip. as I did with the amitrip. but atleast give the amitrip a month before trying alternatives.  Although I do agree with Kathy these are anti depressant witch can actually trigger depression in people so you sould call your doctor to get his opinion.  Good luck and hopfully its atleast helping the CH's.       Phil

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #5 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 12:43am

I agree with everyone, it sounds like depression.... I'm on it, myself, and it hasn't triggered worse depression in me, but I've had plenty of other anti-depressants cause it.

I would definately speak with your doctor about it. There may be things that they can do to help you with this, if it's helping your CH.

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 8:20am

Please talk to your dr.  It sounds like the antidepressant that you are on has triggered a severe case of depression in you.  Some times they can even cause people to commit suicide.  Please I am no dr but I think you should consult with one as soon as possible.  Maybe even call the clinic and talk to drs nurse so she can relay message to dr and see what he wants you to do such as stay on meds or off of meds.  Good luck.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #7 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 10:30am

I was on 10mg of that stuff and couldn't get out of bed in the mornings. Got on 5mg and still couldn't get up in the mornings. I just couldn't handle it. Made a zombie out of me. Could be you just can't handle that large a dose or you can't take it. You need to talk to your doc about the side effects you're having.

There are other antidepresents out there. Took me a few to find something that "worked" for me. We all have a different chemistry and what works for one of us doesn't necessarily work for another. Sometimes it takes trial and error to find what works for YOU.

Let us know what happens.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #8 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 10:58pm

I have taken that high of dose before and it will slow you down to the point of doing nothing. The urinary thing is also known...often prescribed in low dose for children to prevent bed wetting. I would think something is wrong if you were active and wanting to do anything more than laze around the house with that dosage.
If it keeps the headaches away ...great.....but quality of life suffers a different way.
I take 20-30 mg at night plus a daily split dose of 75 mg Topamax...dopey grogy, not full of energy, some memory issues, but I am coping and enjoying diminished pain during cluster.
Speak with your doc.

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!