Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
long time lurker... (Read 1746 times)
bsic
CH.com Junior

long time lurker...
Dec 7th, 2008 at 3:00pm

Hi everyone, just a quick hello from a long time lurker, first time poster.  Im a 34 year old male in Dallas suffering from CH.  Ive had episodic CH since '01.

Last year I "got lucky" and had a "year off" ... my typical fall season for CH just missed me and I thought I might have kicked the beast.  About 7 days ago they are back, and killing me.  Im in a very depressed and sad mood, knowing i will have 3 a day for the next few weeks... and then next year,  and the year after... they seem to get worse and worse every year they come knocking.  This time, oddly enough, the times of day are different every day.  No regularity as I have had in the past.  Sometimes only 1 a day, sometimes 4.  All random times.

Ive tried several triptans, topamax, and O2.  O2 worked for one period and then just didnt cut it.  After reading here i may try it again, i was not using a non-rebreathable mask and usually didnt throw the O2 on until after i was sure it was not a shadow... which may just be too late.   Right now im using nasal zomig, which is mediocre at best.  Imitrex sub-q worked wonders but Im too worried about the heart impacts due to family history.

Well, im glad to read through these boards and see all of you.  As im sure you all agree, just knowing there are others out there with this beast makes it just a little more tolerable.   I have given up bringing these up to anyone, no one "gets it" and just seems to think its a migraine or "normal" headache.   Makes for a very isolated feeling.

Cheers-
Bill

My hypothalamus is bigger than yours.
bsicaras  
IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Re: long time lurker...
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 3:35pm

Welcome to the family Bill.
The "worse year after year" has been my experience over the years, so finding coping preventers and abortives are important.

Try the O2 again as you say you have been using it improperly. Get the correct mask and a regulator to give you 15 litres per minute and get on it at the first sign of the onset of a cluster attack.

Secondly you need to get a preventer that will lower the intensity and possibly the frequency of the attacks. Many have sucess with Verapamil.  If you have  pre-existing heart conditions as you eluded to, this may not be a good choice. Talk to your Dr.

You said you tried Topamax which can be effective, but during the ramping up to the required dose, (which can take several weeks) you may feel somewhat disoriented or dopey and forgetful and depending on your type of employment, this may present a problem.  Should you and your Dr. wish to try this one again send me a private message and i could help you with some first hand tips to make it easier to handle.

Do not worry what "other" people think...come here where we all know what you are dealing with and we will give you the support and understanding that the "others" cannot. Isolation and depression will make the headaches even worse so please stay tuned into the forum here.

Good luck and i hope remission comes soon.

Paul
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2008 at 3:36pm by MITYRARE »  

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 4:31pm

Welcome Bill,
     Ditto on the O2.   Just make sure you get a non-rebreather mask
                               PFD's On Ya
                                    JPC

IP Logged

bsic
CH.com Junior

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 7:47pm

Thanks all- its so refreshing to see others here to help.

question on the non-reb mask.  is this something typically carried in medical supply stores?  I got my O2 in the past from Apria, and they always gave nasal canula with it.  Just wondering if this is something I need to get from elsewhere.

Bill

bsicaras  
IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 8:30pm

read the oxygen thread in the medical section
   Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
      Not sure this link will work  (I'm not real swift with computer stuff)

The best mask is from Lifegas.  click on the oxygen info section to the left of this post.

Good Luck
                                                 JPC

IP Logged

bsic
CH.com Junior

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 8:43pm

Excellent, thanks JPC!  Have an appt with my neurologist tuesday and will get a new script written for the O2 and i will keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks!
Bill

bsicaras  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 11:46pm

The Non-rebreather mask is a MUST, as the nasal canula are worthless for CH. Be sure your new script states Non-rebreather mask and 10-15lpm flow rate, higher is even better if you can get it from the O2 supplier.

Like JPC said the O2PTIMASK from Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register is the best mask around. It cost's $25 for the standard setup. I suggest getting it with the 3 liter bag for another $12.76.

Be assured you need at least the non-rebreather for good aborts with Oxygen.

Good Luck, Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 7:32am

Ditto what the others said about the O2. The nosey thing doesn't work and you need the flow rate to be at LEAST 15 liters per minute (25 is even better). Hit the O2 at the FIRST sign of a shadow (or headache).

I've been on topamax since 99 (I'm chronic) and take the WHOLE dose at night before bedtime, so I've not experienced the dopey feelings that some do (maybe it's just me or maybe it's taking it at night - don't know but it works for me).

Another abort you might try is Red Bull (energy drink) at the first sign of CH. If I get a hit that's above a 5-6 to start I usually chug a can along with the O2 and it works for me.

Ergotomine (Cafergot) has worked for me better than Imitrex and doesn't seem to have the side effects of the trex. It's an old drug and most docs don't prescribe it unless you ASK for it. It's cheap (guess that's why they don't order it up any more). I personally think it works better than trex, but that's just me.

Hope this is a short cycle for you and you'll be PF soon.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

bsic
CH.com Junior

Reply #8 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 5:25pm

Thanks everyone for the great info and support.  I bumped my neurologist appt to today and just got a new Rx for the O2 and Zomig.  Apria healthcare knew exactly what CH was and what to send, including the nonrebreather... excellent!

bsicaras  
IP Logged

bsic
CH.com Junior

Reply #9 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 9:20pm

O2 is here-- praying for success tonight for my 11pm/4am/6am visits.  One last question- should i inhale thru my nose, mouth, or both?  Or does it make no difference?

bsicaras  
IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 10:01pm

Inhale with your mouth hold for a second and let it out slowly through your nose.

Deep clensing breaths.

Good HA hunting!

Roland. Wink
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2008 at 10:07pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

RichardN
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1|Crossville|USA,Tn
Reply #11 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 12:09am

Hi Bill and Welcome

I will assume you got the standard non-rebreather mask from your supplier.  First, one side will have a little round rubber valve covering the exhalation holes, and the other side will be open.  Remove the one rubber valve and save it if it's the same size as the inlet valve.  Then tape up the holes on both sides.  You want to get 100% 02.

With the mask set up this way, you hold the mask tight enough to your face for a good seal, and inhale, squeezing the bag as you do . . . NOT to force 02 into your lungs, but to know when the bag is flat.  For instance . . . if I wake with a Kip 5-6, the first inhales are quick 1 1/2 seconds.  At 15 lpm, your regulator will fill the bag in about 4.5 seconds.   So . . . I'll hit it fast at first on the inhale, and exhale 4-5 seconds to let the bag fill, then repeat.  After a few minutes, I'll start long inhales (3-5 seconds) . . . which means you're getting all the 02 in the bag, plus the 15 lpm it's delivering during that inhale.

If daytime and caught early-on in the attack, I'll usually start at 12 lpm and breathe regularly and deeply.

Oh . . . almost forgot . .  when you exhale (since you've taped the exhalation valves, you just crack the bottom of the mask enough to do so.

The masks that are now available are much more effective.  I have two Clustermasx (no longer available) which were (and are) much more efficient than the standard non-rebreather . . . there are others now (see link above) far superior to the models the med supply stores supply.

I've also found that an ice pack moved around the affected side tends to help me get a faster abort.

Be Safe,   PFDANs

Richard

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
lastchantsranch  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!