Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The New guy (Read 1766 times)
1dallis1
CH.com Newbie

Not the only one!!

Panama City, FL
The New guy
Dec 7th, 2008 at 5:26pm

Well I'm not usually into the whole blog scene, but this has definately  caught my attention.  My name is Dusty and I have been suffering with the burden that many of you suffer with.  My clusters are episodic and I'm currently in a cluster period.  I'm affecting in Fall months.   
My first expierence with the "demon" was when I was about 14 or 15.  Just one episode though.  They only lasted about a 2 weeks.  (One a day)  The doc's script was for Zomig and it worked.  After that they went into remission for about 5 years.  I was convinced it was just something associated with puberty.  I am now 25 and have gotten them for the past 5 years.  Although I didn't have a cluster period in 2006, they have been a regular occurance since.  I'm affected on the right side and just like most of you, I turn into a different person when I get hit with one.  I take Zomig (5mg) and it hasn't been very effective this period.  I have just recently started crushing mine up and taking it like a BC powder. 
During the peak of one I take hot showers with the water beating my temple and eye.  I've tried holding my breathe, pushing like trying to pop my ear drums, until on the verge of passing out.  The pressure that I exert on my nasal cavity and head is like a teaser of pain relief.  As soon as I take a breathe back in, it's back to the bullshit.  That's only a piece of some of my rituals as I call them.  I'm glad to be welcomed into this society of sufferers like me.  People can say they understand, but until you've expierenced one yourself, you have no idea.  Thanks and I look foward to talking with many of you.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: The New guy
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 5:45pm

We know only too well what you mean, mate, from the inside. Have you looked at trying Oxygen? A lot of people get a lot of relief from it.

Welcome home,

Brian.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 6:09pm

Welcome to our club Dusty.
    Ditto what Brian said about the O2.  Are you under a neuro's care at the moment?
There is alot of other stuff that works.  Keep reading.
                         Hope you get relief soon.
                                  JPC

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 2:05pm

Hey new Guy!
Welcome, read and study your condition, you will be glad you did.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
There's a good place to start
all the best
the bb

IP Logged

sleepytimetea
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 3:26am

oh man, I've totally done the shower on the temple and eye thing.  I've also done the "ear pop" thing and what a teaser that is.... immediate relief followed by a worse pain.  It's like being punched for trying!  I am new here as well.  Hopefully, we can all find some relief!!!! Good luck.

IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 7:53am

Wondering if either you (or sleepytime) have wives or partners with whom you share the beast?  If so, please send them here for support.  We're not only a community of clusterheads, but include those who love them as well.

Best of luck in your journey with the beast.

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #6 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 11:41am

Wow sounds like the way Guiseppi started with his. He uses O2 also and works with a neuro. Like Mosaicwench said, send your loved ones here for support and to learn more about what you deal with.

--another supporter.

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

RichardN
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1|Crossville|USA,Tn
Reply #7 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 5:52pm

Hi Dusty

Very glad you found us . . . you are no loner alone with the beast.

One of my favorite motto's on this board is, "Nothing works for everyone, but SOMETHING works for everyone" . . . . and here you have a very good chance of finding the "something" that works for you.

I used to use heat as well . . . either hot shower on the affected side (I'm also right-side), or totally submerging myself in very hot water.  Now, I use ice packs with the 02 if the 02 doesn't have immediate effect.  When I first started to use ice, I would get an additional shot of pain if I held it in the same place too long.  Now, I move it around .  .  . eye, side of face, upper/lower sinuses . . . usually shortens the abort time.

And YES . . . I'm another 02 pusher . . . you're going to meet a lot here . . . because it works (for most of us).

Read, read, read . . . post often and ask any questions you might have.  The answers you will get here come from people who truly know your pain.

I no longer fear the beast at the level I once did . . . because I now have some control over him, when before (I came here),  I was constantly in very real fear of "the next one" (How soon, how bad, how long will it be?)

Be Safe,    PFDANs

Richard

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
lastchantsranch  
IP Logged

1dallis1
CH.com Newbie

Not the only one!!

Panama City, FL
Reply #8 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 6:39pm

Thank all of you for the warm welcome.  I have a seen a neuro and went through the whole KT scans and MRI's.  I haven't had the opportunity to try O2 yet, but it seems like it works for the most of you.  I'm currently away from my current doc on business.  I will definately ask about the O2 treatments though.  Anything that'll help is like gold.  And you all know that!  To the question of a spouse, I'm not involved with anyone who has to deal with my demons, but I know the extra help is nice.  Although there isn't much they can physically do, the support is great.  One thing I forgot to mention was my Great grandmother and Aunt used to suffer from Migraines.  My Great grandmother used to have to take shots of Imitrex and my Aunt's eventually went away after about 20 years.  These are relatives on my fathers side too.  I don't know if any of you have information regarding family history of headaches?  

IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Stevens Point USA Wisconsin
Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 10:07pm

One thing you need to understand about 'History" is that there were many misconseptions about Ch/Horners/ Horners Neuralgia/  for a very long time. 

Most data will say that CH is primarily a Male disorder.  4/6-to-1 male to female ratio.

Trust us female sufferers that this has led to many mis-diagnosis for far too long.

I know from family accounts of my Grandmother's and Great grandmothers symptoms that they both were most likely Ch sufferers.

My Great Grandmother was said to have "hysterical headaches".  My Grandmother was determined to have "Sick headaches".

Each of my aunts and uncles (that haven't passed on now, and  before they did) have related to me the charactoristics of the ways my fore-Mothers suffered. 

The most telling of the episodes was, (and I've mentioned this before in old posts)  was that my farming great grandmother in the cheese making industry, one day was so fed up with the pain that she took the bottle of mercury they used to put down lame cows in the herd and was pouring herself a spoon full. 

Mom said she and Janet, her sister, caught her and stopped it. (this was a time when extened family still lived under the same roof, depression era).

Mom also told me of the months long boughts with headaches her mother would get. My grandmother.   Mom was the ypoungest in the family and was the one to be held home to bake the bread and do the housework while Grandma had her "sick" headaches.  Mom said she never was "sick" as in nausia or vomiting, but aggitated and paced about for hours and then slept and repeat.  Doctors orders were to lay still, but Grandma couldn't.  She needed to pace about.

By that time lame cows were euthanised by the vet, not by the owners, so the mercury wansn't handy.  I wonder what Grandma would have done.

Mom was spared the family curse.  I happen to be one who wasn't spared.

That is this family history as I can know it.

"The goal of life living in agreement with Nature."  ~Zeno
peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #10 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 6:19am

Dusty,

warm welcome to ch family! Smiley
You will always find support and advice right here.

Ch arrived into my life when I was 21, and I found out what it was at 23 and now, at 28, I trust in energy drinks as my treatment - that is just one helpful hint I've picked up right here!

You asked about headaches and family history. As far as I know, I'm pretty much the only one in my large family who suffers from regular headaches (ch and migraines); only my late grand aunt had bad headaches, which could have been ch or some sort of migraines. But believe me, ever since I got my ch diagnosis, I've been asking everyone about their experiences! Smiley

Wishing you lots of PF time,
Sanna

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!