Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Meditation and pain management (Read 10913 times)
Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Re: Meditation and pain management
Reply #25 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 8:33am

Marc wrote on Sep 8th, 2010 at 7:59am:
I've been "driven" to places like that a few times by reaching point that I just couldn't take any more. It did indeed almost feel like I was able to step outside of the loop and look back in a more detached manner. An interesting experience to say the least.

I didn't have any trouble with interruptions because there was nothing but me and the exquisite pain to focus on. Sitting here now trying to describe it makes it sound strange, but it was darn powerful at the time.

I can pretty much identify, Marc and MJ.  The experience has happened so many times, a second-by-second coping to endure eventually prevails somehow, and considering the intensity, could be considered sort of composed by some standards.  There can be momentary inexplicable easing from the worst, but no where near holding an entire hit at bay by constant meditation. 

Both were better than my description - kind of like trying to meditate diarrhea away.

IP Logged

kika
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #26 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 10:03am

MJ wrote on Sep 8th, 2010 at 1:14am:
bonkers wrote on May 29th, 2010 at 5:49pm:
No doubt that meditation could be very beneficial to cluster patients or to anyone suffering severe pain. The problem is, the only way for it to be truly effective is for the one meditating to focus on his pain; not the psycho-emotional reactions surrounding the pain but the actual, physical sensations of the pain itself. Nobody wants to do that.

Ron

This is the method I use when in the depths of all too frequent 10s.
My entire focus goes into the pain and it becomes allmost like a separation from the body. The pain converts to a different feeling but too often the interuption of reality slams it back front and center.

We all have our own special way of dealing with extreme pain and each is different.

I sometimes feel guilty for needing recovery time from the hits, but they are so draning in every way possible that even when the pain is gone, I am still a bit shaken from the whole experience. I feel like once it's all over, I should snap back into the daily grind, but it's kinda like having come through a hurricane and acting as if nothing happened.

Not sure if this makes sense.

I often think that CHs would be the ultimate interrogation weapon.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2010 at 10:05am by kika »  

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #27 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 10:31am

Quote:
...but it's kinda like having come through a hurricane and acting as if nothing happened.

Or having just gotten off the phone with your health insurance customer service department....

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!