Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any ideas (Read 3607 times)
Struggling Mom
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Any ideas
Aug 27th, 2010 at 12:22pm

Hi, new to the site-my son (age 26) recently moved home-been a sufferer for a few years-his symptoms seem a little different than those I've seen listed-he doesn't seem to be awaken by them-but shortly after he wakes up he gets them-is this usual-he doen't have any health insurance so treatment is difficult-have tried aromatherapy (peppermint seems to help some)the headache buster nasal spray-worked for awhile, not so much now, tried drinking more water-gatorade etc-worked for a week-then yesterday had another bout with the beast-any suggestions greatly appreciated-hate to see him in such pain-he's very depressed, which is to be expected Cry

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Any ideas
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 1:06pm

I didn't get the wake up headaches until my 40's, until then, once I got to sleep, I was safe. Even with no insurance, he should check with any university hospitals in his area, see what's available.

Read the oxygen info link on the left and look into welders oxygen. Cheap, and after 32 years, oxygen is STILL the best abortive for me, typically less then 10 minutes.

Energy drinks, Rock Star, Red Bull, any containing the combo of caffeine and taurine. Chugged at the first sign of an attack will reduce or abort attacks for many.

Start him on the following supplemental regimen up to 4X a day.

Zinc, Magnesium, Calcium Citrate and Vitamin D, washed down with lemonade. It alters your arterial PH making you less succeptible to attacks, may reduce how often he gets hit and how severe the hits are.

Good luck Mom! Smiley

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Struggling Mom
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 1:19pm

Thanks for the help-to get oxygen from a welder supply-do you need anything or can you go in and just ask for oxygen?-He has been trying melatonin 10mg. magnesium, riboflavin, feverfew, butterbur-but will surly try your ideas-hope it works-thanks again.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 1:25pm

You need an oxygen tank, and a means of delivery. DO NOT tell the nice man at the welding shop it's for medical/personal use, he won't give it to you. For personal use it requires a prescription and a trip to a medical supply store. It's the same as medical grade oxygen though so no worries there.

So you'll need a tank,  a regulator, and a mask.

Click on the yellow, Oxygen Info tab on the left, or if you don't see that on your display go here:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It gives a detailed explanation of how the 02 works to abort attacks, and how to get set up.

What area of the world are you in??

Joe

IP Logged

Struggling Mom
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 1:44pm

We have a small pick-up truck, an suv and a car so I think we can get it home, I'll check out the oxygen info to see the mask/regulator.  Thank-oh, I live in PA

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 2:28pm

Tell them you're either learning how to weld (a buddy of yours is teaching you, and he said he'd bring his acetylene, but you had to provide your own oxygen), or you're using it to extend the life of your fathead minnows (live fishing bait).

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 2:47pm

Tell them nothing.just ask about a life time lease on the tank.  I have an M that was two hundred bucks for a life time lease.

Potter

IP Logged

Struggling Mom
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 3:03pm

Approximately how much does it cost to refill and about how long will it last. Thanks for the input

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 8:12pm

I'm able to abort 15-20 attacks with one M tank. Welder's tanks are a little bigger than that.

And yes, Potter, I should have qualified my statement with "...if they ask." Otherwise, tell them nothing. Most of those guys are interested in one thing - your money. Which is just fine.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #9 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 11:03am

Hi Mom, I'm a supporter too - Guiseppi's wife. Once you're able to get the O2, when he gets hit he needs to get right on it. breathing pure o2. I usually take Guiseppi a RedBull to chug and an ice pack too. I don't say anything - just take them to him and then go in the other room. He doesn't want to be touched or talked to at that time.

I stay in ear shot in case he needs anything else.

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #10 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 12:24pm

HI Mom and Welcome!

Here are a few other suggestions:

4-Way Nasal spray or Dristan 12 Hour Nasal Spray helps with the annoying congestion.

Taurine and Caffeine drinks (RedBull if you like it) to help prevent a hit when you feel one starting.

Melatonin or an Allergy pill at night before bed to help avoid night time hits.

The herb Kudzu has helped a few as a prevent.   

Deep breathing through the milder hits can help too.

Glad you are here to help your son and I'm sending PF vibes his way!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

Struggling Mom
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 9:49am

Thanks for everything, have armed ourselves with the supplements Joe spoke of, lemonade, energy drinks, think we'll be able to get the oxygen-brother-on-law is a farmer and I think we can use his supplier to get some for ourselves, my son doesn't like to think about, or talk about the headaches but I have printed out your ideas and am encouraging him to visit your wonderful site for help, hope and support. Thanks again for everything, it helps alot to know we're not alone

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #12 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 2:18pm

Don't be too frustrated with his not wanting to talk about it............seems to be a really common thread that CH'ers are a private lot. Most of us prefer to be alone and hidden during our attacks, and don't much care to yak about it to others. But do lovingly nudge him to get on this site. It's such a liberating feeling to discuss the beast with others who really get it.

Joe

IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #13 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:22pm

Hi Mom. I've been trying for almost a year to get my son (who's also 26, like your son) posting on these CH sites. When he doesn't have a HA, he doesn't want anything to do with anything that has anything to do with HAs. He wants it as far out of mind as possible. I think it would be a huge benefit to them and to others like them if they would get involved, but so far no luck. Maybe you'll have better. Ron

Excessive sorrow laughs. Excessive joy weeps.
  -Blake

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!