Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Neck pain with knots before and during CH. (Read 10492 times)
Darryl York
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Neck pain with knots before and during CH.
Nov 20th, 2010 at 12:26am

Has anyone else had this? Sometimes right before I get a bad hit my neck will tighten up and I get terrible knot feeling in the neck muscles. The pain from neck feels like it is going up into my head. My wife puts ice on my neck during an attack and it feels good. After my CH has passed my neck is very sore and feels bruised. I can understand that my muscles in my neck are getting tight during a bad CH but I start having this feeling before the headache hits sometimes. I don't if this is related to the tingling and numbness I get on the side of my face.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Neck pain with knots before and during CH.
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2010 at 12:55am

A lot of peeople get the "CH lump' on the back of their neck and in the shoulder area. for me, it feels good to knead it, I never liked the ice on it! Another personal prefernce thing!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2010 at 1:14am

Yep, the "cluster lump".  Very common.  Not all of us get it, but quite a few do.

I've seen it explained as inflamed nerve ganglia, and surrounding tissue.  It seems to be most prominent during a hit.  Some get one at the base of the skull.  Others get one at around C-5 on the CH side of the spine.  A few get one on the cheek, or on the roof of the mouth.  Mine tends to show up near C-7/T-1 on the left side, where the shoulder meets the neck.

Wherever it occurs, although it doesn't compare to the focal point behind the eye, it's damned uncomfortable.  Tongue

Putting ice (or better yet, ice wrapped in a sopping wet cloth) seems to help to some extent.  I've found it's best (at least for me) to remove the ice gradually, finishing with a wet cloth.  Withdrawing the ice all at once can result in a nasty rebound.

It's probably natural to think about getting a deep-tissue massage to "loosen it up".  Only thing I can say is....don't.   Smiley Smiley  It doesn't work, and it hurts like all get out.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2010 at 11:22am

For me, tilting my head back as far as I can relieves some stress on the back of the neck, and helps ease some of the pain.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

Shuli
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

New York, NY
Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2010 at 1:08pm

Good point about neck pain leading up to an attack.  I pulled my shoulder muscle very badly on Monday - had a stiff neck and back all week, along with shadow headaches.  It all lead to a CH yesterday and needless to say, neck, shoulders and back were all tight before and definitely during attack.  Plus, for the first time last night, during a hit, my jaw locked on the right side and I couldn't open my mouth all the way.

As soon as its over, the muscles release and tingle.  My jaw unlocked, too.
wild.

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2010 at 1:48pm

Knots and neck pain that goes down into my shoulders are one of my worst side effects before, during and after a cluster series.  Keeping the knots worked out as much as possible really helps, but yes it is painful as well, but a different kind of pain...likes it is needing to be kneaded.  Massage is wonderful for this.  Heat is good prior to the massage.  I also stretch my neck in all four directions and hold for 30 seconds several times a day during this time.  Drink lots of water.  I take Flexeril at night.  I go to a wonderful Chiropractor for this as well.  It really helps, but Chiropractors vary so much in their techniques that I cannot recommend this treatment in general.  I am lucky that mine is wonderful.  Good luck to you!

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Jamiekins82
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

California
Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2010 at 2:03pm

I put a menthol patch on the area or rub on some bengay for the neck pain.  And I use a temperpedic pillow for neck support at night when I am in my cycle.  I notice that it will help to provide relief to my neck and ward off shadow headaches.  But obviously does not do much for the "big ones".

IP Logged

bluenz
CH.com Junior

Do what you love, Love
what you do...

x0|auckland|New_Zealand||0|0|
Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2010 at 2:34pm

sometimes but not always    i get a predominately hot or cold spot around C2-3   

but then again im weird  ; )

WWW rhartdolls  
IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #8 - Nov 21st, 2010 at 3:20pm

I get the stiff lumpy painful neck as well.  My son was the 1st to note that sometimes just before I get a hit I start rubbing my neck on the same side as the CH hits.  I must have been doing it unconsciously since I didn't correlate it until he pointed it out.  Gotta Love our Supporters!!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #9 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 12:31am

Jamiekins82 wrote on Nov 21st, 2010 at 2:03pm:
I put a menthol patch on the area or rub on some bengay for the neck pain. 

Oh, yea...I do that, too.  I forgot.  BTW...isn't it nice to forget?!

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Jamiekins82
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

California
Reply #10 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 2:35am

Joni wrote on Nov 22nd, 2010 at 12:31am:
Jamiekins82 wrote on Nov 21st, 2010 at 2:03pm:
I put a menthol patch on the area or rub on some bengay for the neck pain. 

Oh, yea...I do that, too.  I forgot.  BTW...isn't it nice to forget?!

Yes, thank the lord I go into remission with these headaches.  My heart goes out to those that are chronic.  When I am in remission I forget how bad the pain is until I am back in the peak of the cycle again.  I guess that is a good thing.

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #11 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 7:12am

C2 occipital nerve ganglion

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

mikstudie
CH.com Old Timer

Beastmaster

Westland Mi.
Reply #12 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 1:11pm

I always get the neck pain before a hard hit,so when I get the neck pain I reach for my abortives. But during an attack it's just a pain in the ass. Smiley  NO SMART REMARKS PLEASE!!!

IT'S JUST A HEADACHE,TAKE TWO ASPRIN AND GO TO BED!!!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #13 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 1:38pm

mikstudie wrote on Nov 22nd, 2010 at 1:11pm:
I always get the neck pain before a hard hit,so when I get the neck pain I reach for my abortives. But during an attack it's just a pain in the ass. Smiley  NO SMART REMARKS PLEASE!!!

Smart ass comments??? us??? Lips Sealed

Joe Grin

IP Logged

maryo
CH.com Veteran

Johnny & Roy puzzle where
to apply the O2 mask

x1|Little Deer Isle|USA|usa|536|53|ME,Maine
Reply #14 - Nov 27th, 2010 at 9:23am

Yeah, me too. I feel my clusters primarily in the occiputal region. I've had them reach right down to the middle of my back. The trapezius muscle goes wild. Cold application helps. Neuro once told me it was "referred pain." Whatever.

IP Logged

Jamiekins82
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

California
Reply #15 - Nov 27th, 2010 at 12:56pm

maryo wrote on Nov 27th, 2010 at 9:23am:
Neuro once told me it was "referred pain." Whatever.

I have pain in the bones in my face.  My cheek bone especially.  It feels like they have been injected with napalm and are about to explode.  The neuro also told me it was "referred pain."...whatever!

Someone came by my work passing out samples of this new product "Salonpas" ( Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register They are FDA approved non prescription pain relieving patches manufactured in Japan.  Active ingredients menthol, and methyl salicylate.  I use them when I feel the neck pain come on before a hit.  I have noticed that keeping the neck pain under control has really helped me avoid some hits....especially the upper trapezius muscle on my right side.  The salonpas patch + oxygen therapy + bottles upon bottles of cold water, and maybe a red bull every now and then, have really helped keep my headches this cycle below a 5 on the KIP cycle, by aborting them quickly.

IP Logged

Darryl York
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #16 - Nov 29th, 2010 at 9:14am

I had a nerve block last Monday and for 3 days I was pain free.  Friday I started having headaches. As the weekend went on the headaches increased in the afternoons. These headaches don't feel like clusters but just bad headaches on the back and side of my head and runs down into my neck and traps.  What is this?

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Re: Chiropractor Lawrenceville GA
Reply #17 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 10:34am

Quote:
Regular exercise relieves back pain by strengthening and stretching the muscles that support the spine and helps to prevent future injury Studies have shown that yoga is the number one most effective exercise for relieving back pain.
It is best to do these exercises under the supervision of a certified yoga instructor,However, not all yoga poses relieve back pain, and some can in fact aggravate existing pain, so it is important to know which poses will be most helpful in relieving back pain.

if you encounter any problems with these poses, you should consult an expert.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Just guessin you have a connection with these folks.

Potter

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #18 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 6:40am

Quote:
Regular exercise relieves back pain by strengthening and stretching the muscles that support the spine and helps to prevent future injury Studies have shown that yoga is the number one most effective exercise for relieving back pain.
It is best to do these exercises under the supervision of a certified yoga instructor,However, not all yoga poses relieve back pain, and some can in fact aggravate existing pain, so it is important to know which poses will be most helpful in relieving back pain.

Chiropractics have little no affect on CH since it's an internal Hypothalamus issue. 
But thanks for the commercial break.
Now back to your regular scheduled programming....

Probably should have Lips Sealed  but couldn't resist.  Going back to my corner now.  Undecided

An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

Emma_s
CH.com Junior

Wishing PF time for everyone
x

United Kingdom
Reply #19 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 7:56am

JustNotRight wrote on Dec 27th, 2010 at 6:40am:
Quote:

Chiropractics have little no affect on CH since it's an internal Hypothalamus issue. 
But thanks for the commercial break.
Now back to your regular scheduled programming....

Probably should have Lips Sealed  but couldn't resist.  Going back to my corner now.  Undecided

I ALWAYS get told to go to a Chiropractor...despite the fact I say Clusters are thought to be caused by the Hypothalamus and I also possibly have problems with other nerves (possibly the trigeminal nerve) because I have facial pain. But, it doesn't matter what I say, Chiropractics can cure everything right? Ahh sorry, a huge problem I have to deal with and I dislike that people think I am negative when I don't go for their advice. 

I often get a sore neck and shoulders too and I either put something warm or cold on to help soothe the area!

PFDAN all x
« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2010 at 7:57am by Emma_s »  

IP Logged

MattB
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

St Louis, MO
Reply #20 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 11:33am

i get the knot too - base of the skull - feels like a golf ball.   I found out if i fatigue the muscle during an attack it helps the neck pain and it takes the edge off the CH (barely - but every little bit helps, yeah?)  I do this with a little 5 lb weight that i hold out straight away from my body (either forward or to the side) til i can't hold it anymore.

Bad thing is that once the attack is over you are pretty sore....it does help the post attack nap, though Wink

you ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?  - the joker

IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #21 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 3:30pm

Hi Shuli,

You're the 1st person I've come across besides my son who's had their jaw lock up when the pain was peaking. It's been a long time since his CH has been that bad and for him, the jaw locking up was an indication that he was going to black out.

I've had 5 vertebrae in my neck fused into a block and have found the most relief from light-medium traction using a cervical harness. Anyone considering that approach please PM me - I've been doing it for 40 years.

Ron

Excessive sorrow laughs. Excessive joy weeps.
  -Blake

IP Logged

TheVerbalArchitect
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Madison, WI
Reply #22 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 3:13am

Two indents at right and left base of skull, press and knead gently,these are pressure points for headaches.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #23 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 7:32am

TheVerbalArchitect wrote on Jan 5th, 2011 at 3:13am:
Two indents at right and left base of skull, press and knead gently,these are pressure points for headaches.

Thanks for that.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #24 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 9:11am

If you look at the path of the trigeminal nerve, that's 2 spots where it comes to the surface, Makes sense you could get a small amount of relief rubbing there.

Since discovering oxygen, I don't need the massage anymore.  Smiley If you haven't used 02 yet, do check it out, it's good stuff for CH'ers!

Joe

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!