Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 107
Send Topic Print
123 Days PF And I Think I know Why (Read 446276 times)
Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: 123 Days PF And I Think I know Why
Reply #175 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 10:38pm

Matty,

I wouldn't worry about spices...  I used a liberal dusting of "Texas Gun Powder" (ground smoked jalapeño pepper, a.k.a. chipotle) Smiley and lots of garlic on my Peruvian style roasted chicken when I was in cycle and had no problems...  but then I go through a pound of fresh jalapeño peppers a week... some puréed fresh with garlic as a dip for the chicken and the rest stuffed with sharp cheddar cheese as "poppers."    Smiley Go figure.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Glassman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Ohio
Reply #176 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 1:29pm

Was talking with a friend of mine two days ago. She's been on anti-depressants for quite a few years and noticed a decline in their effectiveness.  Her M.D. put her on a therapeutic dose of vitamin D3 at 100,000 IU per week.  After several weeks she noticed a considerable improvement. 
Interesting thing is that after three months at this dose her D3 levels were no higher than at the low end of the normal range.
It does seem to take some time to for some people to get the levels up to normal.
-Gary

Maine Coon Cat Crazy

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #177 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 1:51pm

Gary,

Ask her if her doctor also prescribed supplemental calcium...  The Vitamin D Council recommends supplemental calcium be taken when treating vitamin D deficiency.  Without the calcium supplements, high doses of vitamin D3 can actually start removing calcium from bones...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Glassman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Ohio
Reply #178 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 5:01pm

Thanks Batch,
Yes, I remembered your earlier post about that. I did ask and she said that she has been taking Calcium all along.
-Cheers!

Maine Coon Cat Crazy

IP Logged

MoxieGirl
CH.com Junior

Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
Reply #179 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 4:26pm

Hi,

Have just joined this site, and have just read (most of) this thread. One of my best friends is involved with a company in the UK that lead the production of Omega3, and they make a very good product. When he gets back from the States next week, I'm going to be hitting him up for a few bottles!

I'm a chronic sufferer, so will know pretty quickly if this regime is working or not. It sounds really interesting. Thanks for posting, will let you know I discover.

xx Renée

IP Logged

ClosetCHer
CH.com Junior

United States
Reply #180 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 6:02pm

ReneeM,
Glad that you found us! As you read in the thread, the D3/Omega 3 has worked in various ways for me and many other Ch sufferers. From my experience, I would recommend that you try the regime for at least a week or two before making a verdict. I have noticed more improvements week after week and I worry that some people expect it to work overnight. Just my opinion! Good luck and I hope that it works for you!

IP Logged

Heather Elise
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #181 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 6:24pm

Hi,
I have been reading everything I can on this site and trying everything too...... SO happy that I found it!!! I'm an unemployed welder and only had 9 imitrex pills so I have really been hating life, been in cycle now for a month and a half. Started the D3 cocktail, 4 days ago and I'm feeling much better. I hope everyone has pfd. Thanks, for all the info.
Heather

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #182 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 11:12pm

Hey Heather,

Thanks for the update on your response to this regimen...  It never hurts to hear from someone capable of pouring heavy metal rods in a very bright arc lite...

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

MoxieGirl
CH.com Junior

Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
Reply #183 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 5:35am

Hi again,

Right, I've had a chance to read more of this wonderful and amazing thread! Thank you, each and everyone who has posted and tired this regimen, and especially Batch. Thank you for giving me hope.

I'm not an expert on Omega3, but I have a very good friend who pretty much is. He's involved with a company that makes it. He's in the States at the moment (I'm in the UK). He'll be back in a couple weeks, and can answer any questions anyone has. I know he takes it twice a day, and he takes quite a lot. He says it increases his sex drive, among other things. He's 66, although you wouldn't know it, you'd think he was 48. Also, taking it in two smaller doses might help with the upset stomachs some people mentioned.

Interesting the comments about sunlight and Vitamin D. In England, the winters are very dark, and the days VERY short. My clusters are always at their worse Nov-Feb, and this year they were horrendous. I put it down to Topiramate not working, but it could have been lack of sun, and lack of Vitamin D. My mood droped, I was tired ALL THE TIME. I started taking Vitamin D a few months ago, which helped with my energy, but on its own didn't really make a change to my clusters.

I don't have the bottle in front of me to know if it was D3, or just D, not sure if there is a difference???? Or how much the difference is.

Anyway, I'm heading to the chemist now to buy some Omega3 and Vitamin D3.

My clusters are Chronic at the moment. So far this year, bad clusters have been a max of 9 days a part, more often 4-5 days a part. Today is day 10 since my last bad cluster. So I'm expecting one at any moment. I've had a few minor ones recently, the demon is flexing his muscles, getting ready. So maybe I can kill him before he gets a chance. That would be a nice trick.

I have a spreadsheet that I've kept since 1 Jan 2010. It tracks every headache, ice-picks, shadows, cluster and migraine, along with every medication I've taken, abortive, sleep patterns etc, etc, etc. All of that is then graphed and plotted over time. I will add this regimen to the charts and see what happens. Would be nice to flatline the demon.

Two months ago I had no hope and was planning my end. I have hope now. Thank you.

Renée

IP Logged

Radar63
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

UK
Reply #184 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 4:04pm

Hi all

Started the regimen a week or so ago, it cut back my attacks night after night, am now about a week into PF nights.  Shadows largely stopped at the weekend, but I know I am still in a period of attacks because yesterday morning I had to collect my daughter early and didnt take my morning dose until 10 when I got breakfast with her.  I had a shadow just as I was preparing the meal.
I feel so much more alive than I have done for so long, I feel so much more energy.
Have some really good Omega 3 oil (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register) am taking about 4000 mg a day with the combination horse softgels and D3.
Thank you so much to Batch for his advice and guidance I just so hope this works for others as well.  Many PF days to you all.
Ian Grin

IP Logged

Roxi
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #185 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 6:09pm

In a cluster cycle now.   It has been 3 1/2 years.  Longest I have every went in past 30 years.  Though I was done with it.  Just some suggestions on treatment.  Of course you have probably all tried predisone.  It helps me at the start of cycle.  I stay on Verapramil all the time.  What really helps me is Keppra.  It is an antiseizure medication.   Dont have any side effects from it.   It is in generic now so not to expensive.  500 mg AM and PM.  If you can get your doctor or neurologist to prescribe it, it is really worth trying.  My neurologist started prescribing it about 5 years ago to her cluster patients, acute and chronic forms and has gotten great feedback from it.

IP Logged

wishbone
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Birmingham, AL
Reply #186 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 7:58pm

Well I thought I was going to be able to report something really positive until last night and I got hit with a 9K that I could not abort with O2 and had to resort to zomig and O2 which did abort finally.  Up until then my attacks (although still not less frequently) had been reduced to 4-5K and I was able to abort rather quickly with O2.  Our weather here in Birmingham, AL has been crazy (tornados everywhere around) and maybe the changes in barometric pressures had something to do with last night's hit.

I am keeping faith that this regime will work and still think it has been positive on reducing the level of hit.

Take care all and I pray this regime is working for most to provide some PF time, Wishbone.

Just as I try daily to grow my Faith in God I try daily to learn how to cope with Cluster Headaches

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #187 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 5:00am

I've been following this myself too (not just suggesting others try it).

For the last two weeks I've been taking 3000IU of vitamin D (plus getting plenty more from the sun here in NZ), 4500mg of fish oil, 266mg of magnesium, 133mg of calcium and 5mg of zinc (last 3 are combined in a tablet) each day.

Although I started reducing my verapamil at the same time I started this, down to 360mg from 480mg, I've continued to be CH free (33 days now after 11 months of CHs). I've had the number of ice pick headaches I get drop off to virtually nothing (1 a week?).

I'm now feeling pretty good, am looking to reduce my verapamil again and am no longer quite joined at the hip to my oxygen cylinder.

Whilst I can't put 100% of the credit on this method, it certainly seems to be helping.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #188 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 8:36am

Hey Renée,

I like your style...  Flatlining the beast is clearly a goal we all share... And all of us who have suffered from CH for any length of time without benefit of a meaningful method of intervention have looked over the edge at one time or another...

What I find most amazing is that when you finally do come across something that works well enough to not only control the beast, but give you back a quality of life you didn't think possible with CH...  Everything changes for the better...  and you enjoy life so much more than ever... 

It's like having an Angel flying cover for you...  to assassinate the beast...  making all the fear and anxiety associated with the next CH a thing of the past...  And if the beast does manage an appearance...  no biggie... Just blow it away with oxygen therapy at flow rates that support hyperventilation.

As far as reports on the efficacy of this regimen go...  the numbers just keep getting better.  Ian, with your report, we're pushing 80% efficacy with no real side effects or adverse events reported.  That's a heck of a lot better than verapamil at 50% efficacy and all kinds of side effects!

I know we still have a few folks who also suffer from comorbid disorders that can prevent the full response so many others are experiencing so I'll continue to look for other possible solutions.

In the mean time for others thinking about trying this regimen for the first time... please discuss it with your PCP or neurologist...  I'm not a doctor...  or a snake oil salesman...  just another CH'er like you.

For those of you who find this regimen is making a difference, be sure to discuss it with your PCP or neurologist as well...  they might just learn something new...  and be better prepared to help the next CH'er who walks in to the office with a red eye, drooping eyelid and saline gush complaining about a screwdriver lodged behind the eye...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

MoxieGirl
CH.com Junior

Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
Reply #189 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 8:53am

Batch,

Is someone keeping a record (a detailed record) of how many people are trying this regimen, what doses they are taking, how long for, how effective it has been, what other preventatives they are taking it with, success/faulure/PF days, etc.? You mention 80% success in your last post. Is that an accurate figure or a WAG? (wild arse guess).

Have an appointment with my GP on tuesday to get a higher prescrip of Vitamin D3 and see about Oxygen. She's really helpful, so the D3 shouldn't be a problem, not sure what she'll say about the Oxygen.

Renée

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #190 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 11:32am

Renée,

"Pushing 80% efficacy" with this regimen is better than a SWAG...  The raw numbers for folks trying this regimen who have either posted here on CH.com or directly to me via PMs, Skype, or Email with positive results of either a significant reduction in the frequency and intensity of their CH or gone into a CH PF remission is 23 out of 29 or 79.3%...

The most common comment is PF sleep...  followed second by an uplift in energy...

I've not kept track of how closely folks are following the regimen I use, but it appears the vitamin D3 dosing is between 5,000 and 15,000 I.U.

Until we can get a formal, gold standard (randomized, crossover, double blind, placebo controlled) study funded, started, and completed with published results, all we're doing at this point is collate anecdotal information. 

Having said that, what's significant at this point even as an informal survey is the efficacy is far greater than what might be expected from the highest possible placebo effect, and that there have not been any adverse events reported...

That makes this is a very positive first step as it provides me with the kind of data I need to go out dialing for dollars to fund such a study.

I hope you had good luck with your doctor today.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

primetime
CH.com Junior

Still standing....barely

Baltimore, MD
Reply #191 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 2:21pm

Another update....

I settled in at 7000 IUs Vitamin D, 3400 mg's Omega-3 and 2 Calcium Citrate tablets (Magnesium and Zinc included). In the span of about 2 weeks, I had one hit worth mentioning and no shadows. This was down from 4-7 hits a day since last August.

Things changed on Tuesday. I woke up at 7am with a kip 5 and then fell right back into my usual pattern, 5 hits total. Same thing on Wednesday and I've had 3 hits today.

I'm on the last of my vitamin D and Omega 3, so I'll restock today but I think I'm going to increase my vitamin D to 10,000 IUs to see if can corral the beast again.

Cross your fingers for me because the pain free days were unbelievably awesome and I want them back!!

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

IP Logged

MoxieGirl
CH.com Junior

Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
Reply #192 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 8:19am

I'm at 4,000mg Omega3 and 8,000 IU Vitamin D3, and am still getting attacks, albeit more mild than before. And shorter, probably half strength and half duration. Seeing my GP on Tuesday (tomorrow) to see about getting prescribed 10,000 IU Vitamin D3 as it is difficult to get over the counter without taking a handful of tablets each day. The strongest dose I can find is 1,000 IU tablets - yeah, 10 a day!

So, my hope now has a dent in it and my optimism is not is not so high. But will get on 10,000 IU and see how that goes after a few days. At least I'm chronic, so if this works, I'll know for sure before long.

Taking one day at a time at the moment.

Renée

IP Logged

wishbone
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Birmingham, AL
Reply #193 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 8:28am

As always confusion exists regarding the Demon.  I have been on the regime for about 3 1/2 weeks now and had been getting anywhere from 10-18 hits a day.  This past Monday night I got hit with a 9-10, so bad I could not abort as usual with O2 and resorted to a zomig nasal spray.  The HA broke after taking and continuing O2.  I only had 2-3 hits the next 3 days and then Fri, Sat & Sun no hits.

So here in the big confusion for me.  I am eposodic and my cycles usually run for 3 months.  This is the end of the third month, so now I have no idea if the regime worked or if my cycle is ending on its own.  Regardless if my PF days continue I am going to continue the regime but reduce the D3 down from 20,000 IU to 5,000 and take only 2 Calcium Nitrates.  I will continue with 3,600 mg of Fish Oil.

For those of you in doubt I would encourage you to try because everything about me medically, I am also in the only 2% or 5% that something does not work.  I state again, however the regime may have worked because 2 cycles ago my cycle lasted 6 months.  I also recognize that the Demon may have just taken Easter off and will attack again with vengeance, but with what I have been going through the 3 day respite is so enjoyable.

I wish all PF days and only pray this cycle truly is ending. 

Wishbone.

Just as I try daily to grow my Faith in God I try daily to learn how to cope with Cluster Headaches

IP Logged

MoxieGirl
CH.com Junior

Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
Reply #194 - Apr 26th, 2011 at 8:08am

I saw my GP this morning, in hopes she could prescribe a higher single dose of Vit D3. The highest I could find on the shelf was 1,000 IU tablets, and was getting fed up taking a handfull each day. But alas, she couldn't even prescribe that! The highest in her books was around 400 IU.

So, I did what I should've done to start with and turned to the Internet. I found this site, and placed and order: (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

5,000 IU tablets, 180 each in a bottle for less than £10. They also have a US and Euro currancy site. So, problem solved.

I shall be fully on the regimen by the end of the week.

Lots of fingers crossed.

Renée

IP Logged

Knuckles
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #195 - Apr 27th, 2011 at 9:33am

Thank you! 

This has made a huge impact on me as well.  I've been using D3 and Omega 3's for almost a week and have fewer and less intense headaches than when I started.

In fact, I actually went all day yesterday without an attack. I did have a few minors through the night (when they are usually the worst).

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #196 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 8:38am

Hey Batch, one of your heavy hitters reporting in...I've been on 10KIU's of D3, 3600 for Fish Oil, and 1000mgs Calcium daily for over a month. My reason for posting is this: at first, I was looking for the magic bullet that would end the daily hits. But I've changed my criteria, and I'm wondering about other chronics as well. Once I upped my verapamil to 560mg/day, and added this regime, I've noticed I'm back to 2-3 hits/day instead of 4-6 +nighttime hits, and abortable after 2-3 minutes of O2. This is so much better than just one month ago. Of course I'd rather have no pain, no interruptions, no hits...but something is working here and I'll keep it going. Seems to me pain free might not oughta be your only criteria for success...moderating hits for chronic at least is quite helpful as well. So again, thanks for all you do, Pete and keep the stats comin'! Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #197 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 9:00am

Knuckles,

That's great news.  Thanks for sharing it with us. 

There are two goals of this regimen, lowering inflammation and elevating arterial pH to the high end of the normal range.  As diet can affect arterial pH, switching to a more alkaline forming diet may help this regimen to be even more effective.

Barry_T_Coles commented on this thread with the following link to food types you can eat to help elevate systemic/arterial pH:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Hope the suggested food types shown at this link help improve your response to this regimen.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #198 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 9:48am

Hey Lance,

Thanks for the update.  As a chronic type with heavy hitting cycles that caused my abort times with oxygen therapy to jump from 3 to 4 minutes up to 12 to 14 minutes, my initial motivation for using this regimen was to make my CH more manageable with oxygen therapy at flow rates that support hyperventilation, lower the abort times and cut down on the number of hits while sleeping.  Going PF was a total surprise.  I went from a consistent 4 hits a night to PF in 48 hours..

You do bring up another good point that I commented on in the thread on warfarin that may be worth repeating.  Essentially, there is no silver bullet...  Having said that, there appear to be a number of things we can do to make our CH more manageable if we take a more holistic approach.

The first is not to treat our CH in isolation.  In other words, it's becoming clear that diet can play a role.  A diet high in acid forming foods can bias our systemic/arterial pH to the lower end of the normal range and that may be all it takes to push us into a heavy hitting high cycle.

Accordingly, a change in diet to eat more alkaline forming food types listed in a link in my post above to Knuckles might be all it takes to make this regimen even more effective.

Comorbid disorders can also impact CH medications including oxygen therapy making them less effective.  In working with the heavy hitting CH'ers who have not had a significant improvement with this anti-inflammatory regimen after more than a week, we found they all share one or more of the same comorbidities.

These comorbid disorders include cardiac, renal, and thyroid insufficiencies as well as COPD and diabetes.  Moreover, these same CH'ers also tend to be refractory to other CH preventatives and abortives.

There appears to be concurrence on at least some of the comorbid disorders we noted as a multivariate analysis conducted by Zidverc–Trajkovi JJ et al. and reported in an article titled: Comorbidities in cluster headache and migraine, Acta Neurologica Belgica, 04/18/2011, that chronic sinusitis and diabetes mellitus, adjusted by gender, age and duration of headache, are more frequently associated with cluster headache(CH) than with migraine.

The interesting thing about the comorbid disorders we've noted with respect to the anti-inflammatory regimen is they all have the potential to lower arterial pH.

The sinusitis reported by Zidverc–Trajkovi JJ et al. is also of interest as it may be an indication of an inflammatory reaction that could easily encompass the sphenopalatine ganglion located in the back of the nasal passage and possibly spread to the trigeminal ganglion as the two nerve bundles are directly connected to each other by a branch of the trigeminal nerve.

What all this points out to me, is that as cluster headache sufferers, we need to make sure our PCPs and neurologists take a more holistic approach in treating our disorder to include looking for other comorbid disorders that can easily prevent CH medications from working effectively. 

In short, if we have one of these comorbid disorders, they need to be treated at the same time as our CH or it's entirely possible the medications prescribed for our CH will not have the desired therapeutic effect.  Some food for thought...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

nhs
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #199 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 4:23pm

Hi

It seems that vitamin-D3 supplementation might increase testosterone levels.

Best Niels

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 107
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!