Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 107
Send Topic Print
123 Days PF And I Think I know Why (Read 447911 times)
Tate
CH.com Junior

Taking control of what
I can. :)

New York, NY
Re: 123 Days PF And I Think I know Why
Reply #450 - Nov 26th, 2011 at 5:11pm

I have been slowly moving towards adopting the PH Balance diet...all about acid and alkaline....what we are talking about here with the supplements. Have any of you tried this diet or the machine that balances your drinking water?

Tate Smiley

Fight...breathe......

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #451 - Nov 26th, 2011 at 8:22pm

Hey ZG,

Another great update...  Thank you for telling us more about your experience with this regimen after 150 days.  This is important information for us.  So far, I've not seen any reports of a relapse after going pain free for more than a few days.  I've been on the anti-inflammatory regimen for over 13 months and have been pain free of my CH since the second day.

I've been in contact with the folks at GrassRootsHealth regarding their D*action Project where 3667 people volunteered to have their 25(OH)D levels tested every 6 months and fill out a questionnaire with each test.  Many of these people have been participating since the project started in 2008.

As you can see from the results plotted below tracking 25(OH)D serum levels vs vitamin D3 dose, none of the participants in this project have had any tests come back even close to the lower threshold for vitamin D3 intoxication at 200 ng/mL while dosing up to and including 10,000 IU/day.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I've been in contact with Mia Ferreira, the Outreach Program Director at GrassRootsHealth, and she indicated there have been 436 individual participants who have completed at least one test/questionnaire indicating an intake of 10,000 IU/day or more. Of them, there have been 47 participants with at least two consecutive tests indicating an intake of 10,000 IU/day.  Again, none of the participants dosing on vitamin D3 at 10,000 IU/day have reported their 25(OH)D levels anywhere near the 200 ng/mL lower threshold for vitamin D3 intoxication.

I've also been in contact with Dr. Robert Heaney, MD.  He completed a study of three groups dosing on vitamin D3 at 1,000, 5,000 and 10,000 IU/day and a control group that didn't take any supplemental vitamin D3 over a five month period tracking their serum 25(OH)D levels periodically.  His results are illustrated in Figure-1 in the attachment below.  His study basically shows that 25(OH)D levels reach an equilibrium and plateau by the end of the 5th to 6th month.

Moreover, for the group dosing at 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3, the mean 25(OH)D level reached after 150 days was 90 ng/mL, (225 nmol/L).  For some of the CH'ers and their physicians who are concerned about 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 being a high dose, this should be comforting information. 

Of course the best thing to do is to see your PCP or neurologist to have this lab test done 30 to 60 days after starting this regimen to be sure where you stand.

However, you need to be aware that although the reference range for this test is fairly standard among the medical diagnostic labs, these reference ranges are not calibrated for cluster headaches and they are also listed in two different units of measure, ng/mL here in the US and nmol/L in the EU and elsewhere... 

For example, one CH'er who had been on this regimen for over thirty days without any relief, had this test done and the results are shown below:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

He figured because the lab test said his 25(OH)D level was normal, the anti-inflammatory regimen wasn't going to work for him...

From the data on 25(OH)D levels we've collected so far, it appears several CH'ers with active CH are testing at 40 to 42 ng/mL, (100 nmol/L) and that of CH'ers who have gone pain free on this regimen and had this test, none are below 60 ng/mL, (150 nmol/L).

It also appears the average response time to a significant reduction in CH frequency and severity or going pain free is near the end of the second week with some going pain free in as little as two days after starting this regimen and others taking upwards of a month for a significant response.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2011 at 3:07pm by Batch »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (134 KB | 20 )

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Zeitgeist
CH.com Alumnus

Clustery szcmustery

|Norway|
Reply #452 - Nov 27th, 2011 at 8:39am

Renee

What you tell about your CHs is terrible.  I really hope this regimen works for you!

I cannot explain all the interactions between vitamin d and magnesium, but I've understood they are many and significant.

-zg

IP Logged

MoxieGirl
CH.com Junior

Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
Reply #453 - Nov 29th, 2011 at 2:19pm

Tate wrote on Nov 26th, 2011 at 5:11pm:
I have been slowly moving towards adopting the PH Balance diet...all about acid and alkaline....what we are talking about here with the supplements. Have any of you tried this diet or the machine that balances your drinking water?

Tate Smiley

Hi Tate,

I don't know about a machine that balances your drinking water. I add Liquid Chlorophyll to my water, usually about once a day, although my nutritionist says I should probably do it more often. I did a PH test a couple months ago and I scored pretty high on the acid side of things. A result probably of the high dose of Topiramate and poor diet I was on. Have switched (mostly) to a Blood Type diet, which has helped me a lot. The Liquid Chlorophyll is designed to balance the PH, and according to my nutritionist friend, cancer and other bad things can't live in a body that has a well balanced PH level.

Renée

IP Logged

MoxieGirl
CH.com Junior

Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
Reply #454 - Nov 29th, 2011 at 2:27pm

Zeitgeist wrote on Nov 27th, 2011 at 8:39am:
Renee

What you tell about your CHs is terrible.  I really hope this regimen works for you!

I cannot explain all the interactions between vitamin d and magnesium, but I've understood they are many and significant.

Thanks zg. It is my last hope.

I'm single, and although I have many close friends, I rarely have anyone in my life around when I have clusters. And I'm really finding it to much to bear on my own. I give myself about another year if it keeps on like this and nothing changes in my circumstances.

So, not much pressure on Batch's formula or anything.

Renée

IP Logged

Tate
CH.com Junior

Taking control of what

New York, NY
Reply #455 - Nov 29th, 2011 at 2:50pm

Renee,

Writing to you from the waiting room of a new dr! I too just started the oxygen chlorophyll drops in my water. The green drops, right? We shall see what all of this does. I have completely changed my diet, as I said... Don't know know if that will have any effect. Trying to stay away from any foods on the acid side of things...

I hear your frustration and feel your pain. Please know that many are looking out for you. Smiley

Let me know how things are going!

Do you have the strips to check your ph levels??

Tate! Smiley Smiley

Fight...breathe......

IP Logged

MoxieGirl
CH.com Junior

Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
Reply #456 - Nov 29th, 2011 at 3:02pm

Tate wrote on Nov 29th, 2011 at 2:50pm:
Renee,

Writing to you from the waiting room of a new dr! I too just started the oxygen chlorophyll drops in my water. The green drops, right? We shall see what all of this does. I have completely changed my diet, as I said... Don't know know if that will have any effect. Trying to stay away from any foods on the acid side of things...

I hear your frustration and feel your pain. Please know that many are looking out for you. Smiley

Let me know how things are going!

Do you have the strips to check your ph levels??

Tate! Smiley Smiley

Thanks, and I hope the new doc works out. Always worth taking the time to find the perfect doctor.

My LC is black actually, or a very, very dark blue maybe. Has a peppermint taste. I don't have the strips, but my nutritionist is an acquaintance, and I'm ghost writing his autobiography. So getting my PH checked from time to time isn't a problem. 

xx Renée

IP Logged

SD1
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #457 - Nov 29th, 2011 at 3:19pm

Hello to all.  just a quick update.  im still taking the regime of 10k d3, 3600 omega 3 and calcium citrate/mag/d3 daily along with a tall glass of lemonade.  still getting slammed since 10/28. getting hit daily with the last few being kip 9/10's!!!  i started taking verap 400 daily about 2 weeks ago and it dosent seem to help at all. oxygen at flow rate of 25 has not been working even using the hyperventalating method.  my only savior has been imitrex injections which have worked every time.  somthing is really different about this season vs my previous.  like mentioned before, the beast has been hitting me on the right side vs the left side which has only happened one other time in my 12 years of clusters.

batch, what are your thoughts on me stoping the regime for about a week and starting it again to kind of reset things?

IP Logged

Tate
CH.com Junior

Taking control of what

New York, NY
Reply #458 - Nov 29th, 2011 at 5:33pm

Renee,

Your drops sound WAAAY better than mine. Smiley Mine are tasteless for the most part, but ya kind of have to knock it back.

So, you are a writer? Cool!

The doctor was amazing. I really liked him. I am going to post about it as soon as I can figure out the appropriate spot.

Hope you are feeling better.

Tate Smiley Smiley

Fight...breathe......

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #459 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 3:45am

SD1,

Sorry for the delay in responding...  We were on travel for Thanksgiving and didn't get home until late Tuesday evening/early Wednesday a.m.  Have been trying to catch up ever since...

Hang in there on the anti-inflammatory regimen... I've sent you a PM.  You may need to titrate up on the vitamin D3 dose...  Discuss it with your PCP/neurologist and/or shoot me a reply if you have questions. 

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

PlayDoh
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #460 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 2:47am

Day 1 of Batch's Batch of vitamins. Cool
I had a hard time finding the "right" ones to buy. The Walmart "Pharmacist" wasn't that helpful unfortunately. He told me that Calcium-Citrate and Calcium-Carbonate are essentially the same thing, and that the Citrates are 'Salts', but even sounded doubtful of that.

I'd like to do my part and list actual products available at most North American pharmacies. So that if someone with little to no knowledge of Vitamins, like myself, wants to give this a shot, they wont have to educate themselves as much, or to begin with.

I got all these at Walmart for $45.

I learned that its not so much the 1,000 mg of fish oil that is pertinent, but rather the EPA and DHA Acids. For example my bottle lists 500 mg of Omega 3 Fatty acids. Providing 300 mg of EPA and 200 of DHA. (Derived from 1,000 mg of fish oil.
Jamieson Omega Omega-3 Select 1, 000 mg 150 capsules
$19

I got these Calcium Citrate for $13.67
Calcium Citrate 300 mg/200 IU   High Absorption  180 Tablets

I also got some
One A Day Men Iron Free with More Selenium Advanced Multi Vitamin 90 Tablets
Cause I seen on this thread that someones Dr recommended Selenium in addition.

$11

I had several options, but I just got what Batch listed. For example theres Calcium from multiple sources, like Citrate, carbonate and a couple others. Also others that don't list "Vitamin D3" just Vitamin D.
Calcium Carbonate with Vitamin D, 500 mg/200 IU
or
Calcium Vitamin D3, Easy Absorption, Krebs Cycle
or see all the Calcium vitamins I had to chose from here

Even the Omega 3's were tough to chose from. Regular stregth, extra, Super, yet the mg's seem to be misleading.

I guess I'll have to get educated, and perhaps someone can help me out. Although I'll give Google a work out, and read till my eyes bleed and I get so well-read that I end up more confused then I am now. lol

Citrate, Carbonate, ferate, Omega 3, Omega 3 with fish oil, Fish oil only, 300mg/200 IU, 500 mg/200 IU, mcg, ect, ect.  Shocked

Fingers Crossed, and Thanks for all your work Batch.

As strong and tough as CH's are, I AM STRONGER!

IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Reply #461 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 7:02pm

Batch wrote on Nov 26th, 2011 at 8:22pm:
  His study basically shows that 25(OH)D levels reach an equilibrium and plateau by the end of the 5th to 6th month.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

Interesting; I started my regime of Mag/Calc/D3 on Friday 14,April 2006 but continued to get hit off & on until Monday, 2 October 2006 (Six months to the day almost).
I then had a 297 day break before I hit a high cycle again.

Hmm coincidental, I think not maybe.

Cheers
Barry

Of all the things i've lost in life the thing i miss most is my mind.
WWW http://mushys.com/kiwi  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #462 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 8:36pm

Hey PlayDoh,

Glad you're giving the anti-inflammatory regimen a try.  By tomorrow you may be doing even better.  Response times for the anti-inflammatory regimen range from two days to three weeks with a few trickling in after four weeks.  The majority go pain free by the end of the second week.

For reference, calcium citrate is the preferred salt of calcium.  It's easier on the gut than calcium carbonate which needs to be taken with food.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

PlayDoh
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #463 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 2:13pm

So I've been getting hit 4 -5 times during the night like Kip 7-9 the past 2 weeks, and the odd one during the day. I started the regiem at dinner time on the 6th. That night I got 2 kip 1-2's and 1 kip 3-4.

Tonight I got 0!

PF and I feel great. Although I have a pretty painful ear infection at the moment, but Advil does the job for that.

I swear if you were next to me Batch, I'd kiss you.  Kiss lol

I was thinking that if you told me 5 - 10 years ago that Oxygen and Vitamins would be great treatments for these "headaches" I would have laughed in your face. Yet I'm SO thankful. I have a heart condition and I can't handle the heavy drugs like Imatrex.

I'll keep everyone up to speed, and I'll be spreading the word.

For what its worth, I had success with Mushrooms the past year, but after taking some 3 weeks ago, my nightly kip 3's instantly jacked up to kip 9's. I even tried them again a week later and it didn't do anything.

Even for one day PF, Thank you Thank you Thank you Batch.
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2011 at 2:16pm by PlayDoh »  

IP Logged

Zeitgeist
CH.com Alumnus

Clustery szcmustery

|Norway|
Reply #464 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 2:53pm

Hi all!
I've had a look at my  blood values again.  Vitamin D (25-OH) is now at 271 nmol/L (). That's slightly down from 295 two months ago. But not as much as I'd believed as I reduced the intake to 7500 IU from Oct 1st.

Anyway, after having been extremely loyal to this regimen for 160 days, it seems "to much vitamin D." is among the least of my worries. In the last 50-60 days I have had no new instances of nocturnal CHs, only some lighter "reminders".

Above all I hope this regimen prove helpful for the lot of you.  It really troubles me that it obviously isn't for some +- 25%. We really do lack the scientific insights to explain this. Some day I guess we'll hear a horse coming in the distance.

-zg

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #465 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 2:53pm

Hey Playdoh,

Wonderful news!  We're all very happy for you.  The way I see it after 14 months on this regimen...  you've got two choices...  Come off the anti-inflammatory regimen when you think your cycle is over and take your chances...  or... play the odds and stay on this regimen for the rest of your life like me...  If you do this, the odds are 70% in your favor that the next cycle will never happen and you'll be PF for life...  not to mention in a lot better health. 

Check with your cardiologist for a round of tests including the lab test for 25(OH)D, the serum level metabolite of vitamin D3, after you've been on this regimen for at least a month... 

By then you'll notice you have a lot more energy and will feel the urge to be more active...  See your cardiologist before you follow that urge...  and when you've done that and start to be more active, you might experience another pleasant surprise like I did and start shedding pounds and inches from the waist line.

Take care my friend.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2011 at 2:58pm by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Eroc
CH.com Junior

CH.com helped me!

Apple Valley, Minnesota
Reply #466 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 9:31pm

Batch,

I read a post on CB's web site with a listing of the ingredients for anti inflamatory regimine.

Here is the link:

Unfortunatly I started the D3 and Fish Oil along with a 120 MG Pred Taper, 10 MG of melatonin, and lithium.  Irregardless of what is to blame for the immediate seccation of my headaches as I was beginning week 3 of the worst bout I have ever had.  3 to 4 kip 8-9s per day. 

I have been pain free for 5 days now and if continued this will be the shortest CH bout I have ever had.  The last one going strong for nearly 4 months.

This is what the list indicates I should take:  Please correct me if I am wrong. 

10000 I/U per day of D3
2500 - 3000 MG/Day Fish Oil
400 MG/Day Magnesium
Calcium Citrate 500 MG/Day
Zinc in the Calcium 10 MG/Day

The recipe also calls for Vitamin K @ 120 mcg/day.  That is the one that I am unable to find at my local pharmacy. 

Is the Vitamin K a critical piece of the puzzle and what is the best place to purchase it?  The local Wallgreens does not carry any form of vitamin K. 

Please let me know what you think.  And thanks for all you do on this board and beyond.

Eric

EHanson1980  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #467 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 11:16am

Eric,

Try swansonvitamins.com  I started with them several years ago when I was using Kudzu.  They give awesome service and will price match anything on the web.  I found their prices to normally be below anything I could find at WalMart.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #468 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 12:54pm

Hey Eric,

Thank you for passing your results after taking the anti-inflammatory regimen.  Given the typical response times and efficacy for this regimen compared to that of prednisone, I'd say the odds are 70:50 the anti-inflammatory regimen is responsible for the cessation of your CH.

I hope you find as my wife and I do...  that this is a daily regimen for life...  Lots of good health benefits and you'll feel a lot better too with more energy each day.  You'll also find you sleep a lot better too.

Regarding the more succinct list of supplements posted on ClusterBusters for the anti-inflammatory regimen, I've been remiss...  I sent them the updated list and dosing schedules but have yet to post it here at CH.com.

I've been working on an update to this regimen complete with an overall treatment protocol for CH and dosing strategies...  Unfortunately this takes time as I'm vetting the final version through several experts in vitamin D3 therapy and among neurologists who specialize in treating CH'ers.

What I can say at this point is the supplements and daily doses in your post are correct if you add Boron.  Vitamin K (actually vitamin K2) is one of the cofactors required in vitamin D3 therapy along with magnesium, zinc and boron.

If you use the Kirkland brand of calcium citrate from Costco, you get all of the macrominerals and micro minerals you need with the exception of enough magnesium.  Two of the Kirkland brand calcium citrate tablets contain the following assay:

500 mg.  Calcium
800 I.U.  Vitamin D3
  60 mg.  Magnesium
  10 mg.  Zinc
    1 mg.  Copper
    1 mg.  Manganese
    1 mg.  Boron

The Vitamin D Council suggests 500 mg. magnesium/day so if you use the Kirkland brand of calcium citrate, pick up a bottle of magnesium citrate or magnesium gluconate and take 400 mg/day.

That brings the total list of supplements and doses used in this regimen up to the following:

Anti-Inflammatory Regimen Basic Dosing Guide:

Disclaimer:  The following Anti-Inflammatory Regimen, treatment protocol and dosing guide to prevent cluster headaches are provided for information purposes only.  Discuss them with your primary care physician (PCP) or neurologist whoever is most aware of your overall medical health and other prescribed medications before starting this regimen.

If possible, have your PCP or neurologist schedule a lab test for 25-Hydroxyvitamin D, a.k.a. 25(OH)D before starting this regimen.  This is the serum level metabolite of vitamin D3.  The normal reference range for 25(OH)D in the US is 30-100 ng/mL, (50-200 nmol/L in the EU, UK and elsewhere.  However, CH'ers presenting with active CH have had test results for 25(OH)D come back as high as 43 ng/mL, (107 nmol/L).

Based on reports from CH'ers who have had a favorable response to this regimen, the optimum therapeutic target range for 25(OH)D for CH'ers to remain pain free appears to be 60 to 90 ng/mL, (150 to 225 nmol/L).  It can also take as long as three months to elevate 25(OH)D levels from 20 ng/mL to 60 ng/mL (50 to 150 nmol/L) at a daily dose of 10,000 I.U. vitamin D3.  Some CH'ers may need a higher daily dose of vitamin D3

Omega 3 Fish Oil - 2000 to 2400 mg/day (EPA 360 mg/day, DHA 240 mg/day)
Vitamin D3 *      - 10,000 IU/day
Calcium **         - 500 mg/day (calcium citrate preferred)
Magnesium         - 400 mg/day (magnesium citrate or magnesium gluconate)
Vitamin K ***     - 120 mcg/day
zinc                    -   10 mg/day
Boron                 -     1 mg/day   

This regimen can be taken any time of the day, but it's best taken in the morning with an 8-oz glass of lemonade, limeade, or any fruit juice high in citric acid sweetened with with a little honey.  Honey is a natural source of Boron, which is listed as one of the "cofactors" along with magnesium, vitamin K and zinc. 

If you miss a dose, take it asap.  It's important to keep building 25(OH)D levels and to keep them in the therapeutic range.

The list of micronutrients, macrominerals and micro minerals in this regimen are all important and each plays a role in making this CH preventative as effective as it is.

For example, the 500 mg. calcium in this regimen is essential as vitamin D3 pulls calcium from the gut and puts it into solution in the blood.  If you supplement with vitamin D3 and the total intake of calcium from all sources is not sufficient, the vitamin D3 will start leeching calcium from the bones...  Hmmm...  that's not good...

With the exception of vitamin D3 and Omega 3 Fish Oil, nearly all of the
remaining supplements are readily available in sufficient quantity in a good healthy well balanced diet of meat, fish, poltry, green veggies, cheese, oysters and honey.

For example, you can get your daily vitamin K requirements from green veggies or a slice of good Swiss cheese.   You'll get all the boron you need from a teaspoon of honey and a half dozen oysters, preferably raw on the half-shell with a dash of hot sauce... will give you a week's supply of zinc.

The Vitamin D Council indicates these cofactors help in metabolizing vitamin D3 into 25(OH)D and the calcium supplements aid in maintaining calcium homeostasis.  The calcium citrate and citric acid in the lemon juice or lime juice also combine to form a buffer in the stomach that can help elevate arterial pH which aids in stimulating vasoconstriction in and around the trigeminal nerves.  See the following link at the Vitamin D Council for an explanation of the vitamin D cofactors and their natural sources:

Notes:
(1)  Medication Interactions and Contraindications:
     * Reactions to vitamin D3 are very rare as skin exposed to the UVB in direct sunlight produces vitamin D3 naturally.  However, if you are allergic to sunlight, do not start this regimen without contacting your PCP or neurologist first.  If you experience a reaction to this regimen including and not limited to, an upset stomach for more than a day, swelling in and around the mouth or face, or an obvious allergic reaction, discontinue the entire regimen and contact your family physician.

**  If you are presently taking verapamil as a cluster headache preventative or for a heart condition, studies have shown that after repetitive dosing with verapamil, the serum half-life can be in a range from 4.5 to 12 hours.  Other studies indicated calcium supplements interfere with calcium channel blockers like verapamil.  Calcium gluconate is also used to treat reactions to oral verapamil.  Accordingly, in order to minimize a possible interaction with calcium that may limit verapamil effectiveness, separate the verapamil and calcium doses by at least 8 hours.  Again, discus this regimen with your PCP, neurologist, or cardiologist to work out an optimum dosing schedule.

*** If you are presently using blood-thinning drugs such as Warfarin or Coumadin for cluster headache or for a heart condition, vitamin K is generally contraindicated.  However, studies have found vitamin K2 to be an effective stabilizer in anticoagulant therapy, proving beneficial in situations of over-anticoagulation or when the response to therapy has been variable.  See your PCP, neurologist, and or cardiologist before starting this regimen if you are presently taking blood-thinning drugs.

(2)  Safety: This regimen is safe and well tolerated with many potential healthy benefits.  However, some physicians and CH'ers may be concerned about the apparent "high" dose of vitamin D3.  There are several studies that have clinically proven that the skin of a fair skinned adult clad in a bathing suit without sun block and exposed to the sun's UVB at midday, can generate 10,000 I.U. vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) in as little as 15 minutes.  A recent study based on data from the GrassRootsHealth project of 3667 people taking vitamin D3 at various doses concluded:  Universal intake of up to 40,000 IU vitamin D per day is unlikely to result in vitamin D toxicity.

The folks at GrassRootsHealth Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register recently published the results of their D*action Project where 3667 people have been taking vitamin D3 and having their 25(OH)D levels tested every 6 months since 2008.  Participants also fill out questionnaires with each lab test to capture the essential demographic and epidemiological information.  439 of these D*action project participants reported taking vitamin D3 at doses up to and including 10,000 IU/day.  43 participants have had two or more consecutive tests for 25(OH)D while dosing on vitamin D3 at 10,000 IU/day.

As you can see in the graph illustrated on the GrassrootsHealth home page shown below, none of the 3667 participants dosing at 10,000 IU/day or less had lab tests for 25(OH)D anywhere near the lower threshold for vitamin D3 intoxication at 200 ng/mL, (500 nmol/L).

I've attached a study titled: Vitamin D Supplement Doses and Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D in the Range Associated with Cancer Prevention by Garland et. al, that's based on the GrassRootsHealth D*action Project data as further proof that long term use of vitamin D3 at doses as high as 10,000 IU/day are very safe.

(3) Efficacy and Response Time.  70 out of the 100 CH'ers (both episodic and chronic), who have tried this regimen over the last year have had a significant reduction in the frequency and severity of their CH and better than 90% of them have gone pain free.  Typical response times to this regimen range from two days to three full weeks with the majority occurring by the end of the second week.

As this regimen has many other health benefits beyond being 70% effective as a cluster headache preventative, it's best to stay on it as long as possible if not for life...  There have been a handful of CH'ers who took over a month to respond to this regimen and several clinical studies have shown it can take upwards of three months to elevate 25(OH)D levels from 20 ng/mL to 60 ng/mL, (50 to 150 nmol/L).  Moreover, chronic CH'ers who stop taking this regimen after an extended period of use greater than six months, may experience a relapse with a resumption of CH in as little as a week...

(4) Mechanism of Action.  The precise mechanism of action of the anti-inflammatory regimen in preventing cluster headache remains to be fully determined, but it includes the following two possible mechanisms:

Omega 3 Fish Oil and vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) are well documented as having anti-inflammatory properties.  It is possible these properties counteract the neurogenic inflammation present in the cluster headache syndrome.

In addition, at least two studies have pointed to the capacity of vitamin D3 to suppress or down regulate calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) and vasoactive intestinal polypeptide (VIP), both of which are elevated during a cluster headache.

(5) Comorbidities:  Some comorbid conditions may interfere with the capacity of the anti-inflammatory regimen to prevent CH.  Some of these medical conditions include but are not limited to: cardiac, thyroid, renal, hepatic, and pancreatic insufficiencies. Sub-clinical allergic reactions and sinusitis are also suspect.  If you presently suffer from one or more of  these medical conditions, work with your PCP to resolve them as this may increase the likelihood of favorable response to the anti-inflammatory regimen.
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2011 at 12:59pm by Batch »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (160 KB | 20 )

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

PlayDoh
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #469 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 5:18pm

I swear you deserve a Nobel prize for all of this work. I think you missed your calling as a Dr.
Thanks for all of the info, should take me a week to digest it all. Cool

IP Logged

nhs
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #470 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 6:59pm

Hi

The calcium is not needed in the regimen if you are eating/drinking milk products. If your diet intake is below 500 mg it's essential to take some calcium supplement otherwise it's not. Most people (90%+) get enough.

The calcium lie:

« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2011 at 7:07pm by nhs »  

IP Logged

69Strat
CH.com Junior

Girls, Guitars, German
Shepherds

Reply #471 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 10:37pm

Two weeks in on Batch's formula. 1st week, not much. This week, distinct reduction in intensity. 8-9 down to 3-5ish. Also upped verap to 480mg and lithium to 900mg. Insurance company pays for shots, but no oxygen. They said clusters aren't a recognized condition. Why they cover shots is beyond me. I was going to argue the cost benefit of oxygen, but am afraid they'll pull the shots if they figure it out.

Chronic since 2004. I was high cycle since Oct. HA every 2-3 hours, 24/7. Worst ever. Even the daytime wasn't spared, which was unusual. Now I see some light at the end of the tunnel. Hope it's not a train.

I'm thinkin' the D3 regimen is the savior, but staying on other meds for now. If they go away completely I'll consider dropping the meds. They haven't done that in 7 years.

Thanks again Batch!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Eroc
CH.com Junior

CH.com helped me!

Apple Valley, Minnesota
Reply #472 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 10:43pm

Batch,

I first of all cant thank you enough for your help with this remedy. 

I do however still need some more clarification regarding the K2.  There are many varieties available from the Swanson Health products website that was recomended by another poster. 

Can you tell me exactly what brand of product you use?   I want to get the recipe exactly as you use right down to the brand of product.   I have every mineral covered except the K. 

Thanks again for your help and I hope you are having a nice weekend.

Eric

EHanson1980  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #473 - Dec 11th, 2011 at 12:46am

69Strat wrote on Dec 10th, 2011 at 10:37pm:
Insurance company pays for shots, but no oxygen. They said clusters aren't a recognized condition.

If it's not recognized then why are cluster headaches classified as a primary headache by the International Headache Society - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register ?

Similarly, why are there over 2500 hits for cluster headache on the US National Library of Medicine (PubMed) - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register - many of which are describing medical research refereed and published in medical journals?

Of course the insurance company knows better...

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #474 - Dec 11th, 2011 at 3:08am

69Strat,

Hang in there... and see my PM to you.  Regarding the oxygen...  It sounds like your medical insurance company is trying to bluff you...  If you have a valid Rx for oxygen therapy signed by your doctor and your insurance company is refusing to cover it, ask for the name and address of their physician in writing who decided to disregard your doctor's written orders...

While you're at it, you can send your insurance company the following link from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services National Guideline Clearinghouse.  It's the EFNS guidelines on the treatment of cluster headache and other trigeminal-autonomic cephalalgias.   This standard of care guideline lists oxygen therapy at 15 liters/minute as the first abortive of choice for the acute treatment of cluster headache.

This guideline also contains the following chart showing the standard of care treatments for cluster headache:

You can also play the code game with them... 

Diagnostic and Treatment Codes

Diagnostic Codes

ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Codes:
        Episodic Cluster Headaches – 339.01
        Chronic Cluster Headaches  – 339.02

ICHD-II Codes:
       Episodic Cluster Headaches – 3.1.1
       Chronic Cluster Headaches  – 3.1.2

ICD-10 NA Codes:
       Episodic Cluster Headaches – G44.01
       Chronic Cluster Headaches  – G44.02

The following codes for treatment and procedures are applicable to most private medical insurance guidelines are included below for informational purposes.  Inclusion or exclusion of a procedure, diagnosis or device code(s) does not constitute or imply member coverage or provider reimbursement policy.  Refer to your medical insurance contract benefits in effect at the time of service to determine coverage or non-coverage of these services as it applies to an individual member.

Playing Hard Ball When Calling Your Medical Insurance Company

The following is a modified version of an article from a 2007 OUCH Newsletter

1. Record your conversation with them about obtaining home oxygen therapy. Be upfront with them that they are being recorded. Be sure to have your policy in front of you, and know it. They may quote clauses in it that do not exist. If they quote from it let them know it is in front of you and ask exactly where in the policy they are quoting.

2. Ask for names when talking to representatives, both first and last. The insurance companies may make statements that turn out not to be true when they deny you your oxygen therapy. In my opinion this is their Achilles’ heel.  In my experience they do not want to give their full names out, if they don’t give you their name ask for their supervisor, or their supervisor’s supervisor.

3. One of the first statements that they may make is to site the fact that Medicare does not cover oxygen therapy for cluster headaches and that insurance companies are allowed to use this rule.  Unless you are on Medicare and have no secondary medical insurance, this rule may not apply to you.

4. They may also tell you that hyperbaric oxygen therapy is not covered.  While this is true, your doctor has prescribed normobaric oxygen therapy at one atmosphere barometric pressure and this method of oxygen therapy is covered.  If they quote from the FDA Legend they are making the implication that limiting oxygen therapy it is a federal regulation. This is not the case; this is where asking for the representative’s name is important. Would you want to be on the record quoting non-existing federal regulations to deny someone a lawfully prescribed medication?

5. Have your medical insurance policy/plan booklet in front of you when you call. If they tell you the limits are in your policy, tell them you have it in front of you, and ask them exactly where it is.

6. By changing or failing to honor your attending physician's orders as expressed in the prescription he/she wrote, they are practicing medicine without a license. When they tell you they have a review panel that includes a physician, the physician on their panel is committing malpractice since he's changing your attending physician's orders as expressed in the prescription when he's never examined you. Ask for that physicians name and credentials, and request to speak to him directly.

7. Another common mistake made by the insurance companies is that they are treating you as a COPD sufferer.  You may have to point out several times that you do not suffer from COPD and your blood oxygen levels are fine, but you do suffer from cluster headaches. Treating them as one and the same is a medical mistake.

9.  Remember that you are your own best advocate.  Be assertive yet polite. When given an untrue statement, tell them that it is untrue and ask from whom they are quoting and ask to speak to that person directly.  Ask them if they are sure they want to be on the record quoting that statement.  Remind them that the monthly cost of coverage for triptan injections runs from $680 to $2550 and that a month’s supply (4 M-size Oxygen cylinders) costs less than $160.  Also remind them of the cost of an ER visit, mention to them that you would have no choice but to go to the ER for the attacks. 

10. If you are still not getting any satisfaction, ask for the form and web link containing the procedures for challenge a coverage limitation.  They are required by law to provide you with this information.  Also ask for the phone number for the National Association of Insurance Commissioners covering your insurance company.  You can find this at the following link if they can’t come up with a number:

Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) Codes

Equipment:
           E0424-E0425 Stationary compressed gaseous oxygen system
           E0430-E0431 Portable gaseous oxygen system

Contents:
          E0441 Oxygen contents, gaseous, 1 month’s supply = 1 unit

Modifiers:
         QG - Prescribed amount of oxygen is greater than four liters per minute (LPM)

NHS,  You're correct about most folks getting enough calcium from milk and cheese...  It's the folks who don't that are cause for concern given the 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3.  As long as there's no reaction, the additional calcium won't hurt.

Eric, I don't take vitamin K/K2 as I chow down on lots of green veggies and we go through a lot of cheese around here... so I'm not much help on what brand of vitamin K2 to get... 

The role of this micronutrient is important, but it appears to be readily available at more than the dose required in veggies and Swiss cheese... 

see Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Vitamin K2 from any major name brand mfg. should work just fine.

Hope this helps,

Take care,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 107
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!