Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 107
Send Topic Print
123 Days PF And I Think I know Why (Read 446421 times)
Rumeke
CH.com Veteran

Westfield, NC
Re: 123 Days PF And I Think I know Why
Reply #675 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 6:41am

I have been PF for 2 years..seems to be my cycle, every 2 years in Feb or March and lasting 6-8 weeks. This past 2 weeks I was getting hit every 45 min at night with 8 or 9's lasting 30 min. I came back to this site to see what was new and read the information on D3. My daughter is a Chronic Lyme sufferer and has low D. She gave me some of her D3 5,000 and I started taking just one 3 days ago.

I am now getting hit every 1 1/2 hrs and the intensity has greatly decreased to either just shadows or 3 or 4's! I did have an 8 this am but it only lasted 10 minutes! I already take 2000u fish oil and calcium citrate. I'm going to hit her Magnesium Citrate powder tomorrow and see what that does plus increase my D3 to 10,000u.

I am still up for a few every 1 1/2 hrs but this is such a huge improvement!! Waiting for the day I am PF again or at least can get some longer sleep!

IP Logged

Zeitgeist
CH.com Alumnus

Clustery szcmustery

|Norway|
Reply #676 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 5:45pm

ClosetCHer wrote on Mar 24th, 2012 at 7:03pm:
Batch,

Any suggestions?

The calcium combo pill do include magnesium?

-zg

IP Logged

Edenmtclusterhead
CH.com Newbie

I'm a supporter

Eden Mills,Vermont
Reply #677 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 10:08am

Hi everyone! I am a supporter to  my boyfriend and I am very interested in this vit D and fish oil supplementation. I am just wondering if you have a supplement you recommend? Do you have a manufacturerer that carries everything you need in one tablet?
Thank you!

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #678 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 2:26pm

Edenmtclusterhead wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 10:08am:
Do you have a manufacturerer that carries everything you need in one tablet?

Not that I've ever heard of.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #679 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 10:42am

ClosetCHer, Randy, DVB.

Sorry for the delay in responding...  We've had a house full of grand kids for the last two weeks...

I'll tackle your posts with a last in first out order... 

ClosetCHer...  First question... Why did you stop taking this regimen?  I suspect had you continued taking 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 and the other micronutrients in this regimen after your last episodic cycle ended, you wouldn't have experienced this year's CH cycle.

As to what to do...  See your doctor for a lab test of your serum 25(OH)D concentration.  My guess it will come back < 42 ng/mL if not lower.

I'm not sure why you haven't responded to this regimen as fast as you did last year.  We're still in a learning process with respect to the mechanism of action in how vitamin D3 prevents cluster headache. 

Having said that, there is more than sufficient information available on the pharmacokinetics of vitamin D3, (what the body does to vitamin D3), thanks to experts like Dr. Robert Hearney, MD.   We know the metabolism of vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol), to 25(OH)D (25-hydroxycholecalciferol), and on to the final biologically active metabolite, 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol can take place fairly rapidly if serum levels of 25(OH)D are not too low.  There is also sufficient medical evidence to suggest comorbid conditions that affect the thyroid, parathyroid, liver and kidneys can impact vitamin D3 metabolism.

From the empirical data collected so far here at CH.com, it appears we need a serum concentration of 25(OH)D between 60 and 90 ng/mL in order to enjoy pain free or relatively pain free relief from cluster headache. 

That means we need to load our systems with enough vitamin D3 from oral supplements and/or dermal generation by exposure to the UVB in direct sunlight to keep our 25(OH)D in this range.

Accordingly, I again suggest you see your doctor for the 25(OH)D lab test.  I would also continue the present regimen and up the dose of vitamin D3 from 10,000 IU/day to 15,000 IU/day for a week and if you don't experience a favorable response by the end of that week, up the dose of vitamin D3 to 20,000 IU/day for another week.

If there's still no symptomatic relief from your CH after a week of vitamin D3 at 20,000 IU/day, a trip back to your doctor for more lab tests may be in order...  Only this time check for the possible comorbid conditions listed above.

Randy,  Outstanding news!  Thank you for sharing your experience with this regimen.  It's always a hoot to hear another CH'er has found relief using vitamin D3.  Stick with it along with the calcium and the other cofactor micronutrients.  You'll be pleasantly surprised at the other results.

DVB,  Please keep us posted on the results of your father's visit with his neurologists.   The more I learn about the health benefits of this regimen, the more I think the entire family should be taking it.

As Joe indicated, I'm not particularly concerned about any lobbyists for the big pharma that might come calling because this regimen is starting to cut into their sales margin... 

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The house is nearly a thousand feet off the main road located near the center of a 20 acre parcel of densely wooded land. Our gravel driveway is over 900' long and looks like a logging road...  It's also very narrow and crooked as a dog's hind leg as it winds through the woods... 

The nearest neighbor, a 100 yds to the North through some tall timber and heavy underbrush, is a retired county mounty.  The next closest neighbor is 150 yds to the South through even heavier woods just off our driveway..  He's an old sourdough, retired guide and outfitter from Alaska.  He's also got four Alaskan Malamute-Siberian Husky mix sled dogs that are bigger than most wolves...  meaner too if they don't know you... 

I figure between the three of us we've got enough whoopass to handle any city slickers from "K Street" in DC.  And if we run low on conventional whoopass, I can always send Joyce up the driveway with the chainsaw... 

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

She's been on the same anti-inflammatory regimen with vitamin D3 for well over a year and doesn't know her own strength...  Crossing this charming little green-eyed septuagenarian is bad news...  Even more so if she cops a post menopausal bad attitude that's been known to cause grown men to run for cover...  Even the malamutes give her a wide berth if she's upset...

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

-dvb-
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

New Jersey
Reply #680 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 9:19pm

Note to self...Do not mess with Batch.

It's been 2 years since my Dad's last cluster, he had a regularly scheduled visit with the Neuro on Fri. He presented him with some of the info about the D3 regimen. Doc said he'd like to research it further and would get back to my Dad with his thoughts in a few weeks. I'll let you know when he here's back.

Thanks again for your (and everyone's) contributions here.
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2012 at 9:25pm by -dvb- »  

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #681 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 11:23pm

Hi Pete,

I discussed your regimen with my new dentist yesterday after getting hit from a shot of Novacaine.  I had a light shadow going in, but thought I was OK.  WRONG!  Anyway, she is a migraineur and knows others with CH.  I was recommending she look into the therapy for her migraines. 

Keep up the great work.  I can't claim success yet.  I think some days it is working, but they are not gone yet.  Missed a couple of doses and had a rough day the next day, so I really think it is doing some good.  Might bump it up to 20,000IU soon.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

PittsburghJoe
CH.com Old Timer

Go away pain!

Irving, TX
Reply #682 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 7:28am

Back again after two years PF... Batch, you are THE MAN! I started getting shadows a couple weeks ago, and went into my usual denial, then had to snap out of it once the hits started. Before I even thought to call the doc, I thought to come here. Reading about your regimen just made some sense to me, and I got me some D3 and Fish Oil (I need to get my cholesterol down, so there's a nice side benefit). I started taking 2,000 mg of the Omega-3 fish oil and 10,000 IU D3 daily. I'm sure my body is crying for the D3 since, even though I live in beautiful, sunny Texas these days, I work overnight and sleep all day, so I don't see the sun that often.

Anyway, after starting the regimen with just these two, I have only been getting hit sporadically. It seems to me only suring the day when I'm trying to sleep that I'm getting hit, and the first is the worst, usuall after about an hour of falling asleep. I'm ranging between 0-4 hits per day, but they really aren't lasting very long, and they only hit maybe a K7 max. A few gulps of an energy drink (I highly recommend the new Mio energy drink mix. A few drops in a glass of water, and you're good to go. Tasty, and much less expensive than red bull or monster), plus I force myself to hyperventilate, and the pain is generally gone within 10 minutes. I'm sure if/when I can get an O2 script from my new doctor, I'll be able to blast the beast away even faster.

I haven't really been hit much at all the last couple days, and this is usually the point in my cycle where it really starts ramping up. I did add a calcium/magnesium/zinc combination supplement to the regimen, plus I take 6mg of melatonin now before bed. I'm at the point now where I'm thinking I may skip the doctor and the O2 and see if this breaks my cycle before it's able to really take hold. I really don't want to be on meds again. Prednisone makes me feel angry, bloated and just off, and verapamil gives me such insane constipation that I never want to touch the stuff again.

I'd try the CB route, but I don't know that I'm in the mental state to handle it right now. Having played with some of that stuff recreationally in the past (never shrooms, I was just an occasional LSD user), I know it can cause me some anxiety. I've been treated for an anxiety/panic disorder for the last couple of years, now taking 10mg of valium a day to keep my attacks of that away. So I know I'm not in the proper mindframe for the busting route.

Anyway, a really meandering and long-winded way of saying thanks to Batch and the other D3 champions out there. I'm hoping this keeps working. If it doesn't, I'll be right over to the doc asking for some O2. I just like the idea that right now I'm just giving my body what it needs anyway, and if it keeps the beast at bay, so much the better.

Great to be here and see old familiar names and faces, just bummed that I'm back for the bad reason.

Take care all!

Joe

Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight. Gotta kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight. - Bruce Cockburn, "Lovers in a Dangerous Time"
http://www.facebook.com/joe.pauley joepauley  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #683 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 10:00am

That's GREAT news. Way too many stories like yours floating around to be considering this as anything but a serious treatment. Hoping it keeps beasty in the box.

ANOTHER Joe! Wink

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #684 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 12:03pm

Hey Jerry,

Thanks for the update.  Missing the daily dose of vitamin D3 during the first month or two is a sure way to invite a hit...  After that, when you've built up enough 25(OH)D reserves, missing a dose isn't as critical. 

Bumping the daily dose of vitamin D3 up to 20,000 IU/day should speed up the process.  I don't have your actual start date but knowing your 25(OH)D concentration was 73 ng/mL on 5 March, if you test again by mid April, your 25(OH)D should be somewhere North of 90 ng/mL.

I wouldn't worry about going over the upper value for the normal reference range at 100 ng/mL.  From the studies and literature it appears this range was developed by testing thousands of people for 25(OH)D then use a gaussian distribution to determine the lower and upper range.  The problem in doing this is most of the people in this distribution are deficient in vitamin D3...  which means the reference range is shifted lower.

The real limit is the lower threshold for vitamin D3 intoxication at a 25(OH)D concentration of 200 ng/mL.  That would take a vitamin D3 dose > 40,000 IU/day for at least three months.  As long as you get tested regularly until you reach a 25(OH)D equilibrium, and hopefully get your CH under control, you should be in good shape.

Finding the 25(OH)D concentration and the corresponding vitamin D3 dose required to keep you PF or at least that provides a good quality of life is the goal now.  Once you reach that level and stabilize it, the bacon test should yield pleasant results.

As far as migraineurs go...  the data is still very anecdotal.  I know many migraineurs may be trying the anti-inflammatory regimen, but I've only had contact with five of them.  All five have gone in for the 25(OH)D lab test and all five were deficient <30 ng/mL. 

These five are also reporting a marked improvement in their migraine patterns.  Two have been completely PF.  One for over a year and the other for over two months. I've asked for another round of lab tests for 25(OH)D, but I'm not holding my breath.

Hey PittsburghJoe,  Thanks for the kind words... and the SITREP... I like your attitude.  Giving our bodies the nutrients they need to make us healthy is a lot different (and better) than taking a bunch of pharmaceuticals for symptomatic relief.

It sounds like you're on your way to full control over your CH.  The important thing to understand when that happens is you really need to stay on this regimen to build and maintain 25(OH)D levels.  That way when the biological schedule calls for another cycle of episodic CH attacks, nothing will happen and you'll stay PF.

There are a lot of other healthy benefits from taking this regimen as you've already pointed out.  I'm on it for life and so is Joyce, my wife.  Staying healthy for 20 cents a day beats the heck out of the alternatives...

Please keep us posted.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

ClosetCHer
CH.com Junior

United States
Reply #685 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 9:16am

Batch,
Thanks for the help and the detailed explination. I haven't had the time to log back in until today, but I've gone over a week now without a CH (knock on wood). I've had some heavy shadows but that's all. I didn't increase my D3 but I will anyways just to be safe. I'll let you know how it goes.

I stopped taking the regiment because at the end of my last cycke the CHs came through for about two weeks and then stopped. I figured I would just start the regime back up when the cycle started. I didn't think the regime would prevent the cycle from starting. That was my thought behind stoppping.

IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Reply #686 - Apr 1st, 2012 at 1:51am

Guiseppi wrote on Mar 30th, 2012 at 10:00am:
Way too many stories like yours floating around to be considering this as anything but a serious treatment.

Pete,

I will see P. Sandor on Friday.... 
(on flight related issue)
see what he has to say..... 
Michael

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #687 - Apr 1st, 2012 at 12:32pm

ClosetCHer,

Thanks for a most excellent SITREP...  "a week now without a CH"  Woo Hoo!  It's a great feeling isn't it...  Perhaps it's time to come out of the closet...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

ClosetCHer
CH.com Junior

United States
Reply #688 - Apr 1st, 2012 at 7:04pm

Batch,
SITREP?? I don't know you're background (haven't been on here long enough), but that is a military term and also used in law enforcement. I would've passed along the 5Ws but I didn't realize their are fellow acroheads (those who like acronyms) here!

P.S. I've got many years until I come out of the closet!
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2012 at 7:05pm by ClosetCHer »  

IP Logged

Mandarb
CH.com Newbie

x0|Hutto|USA||0|0|TX,Texas
Reply #689 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 3:02pm

Hey Everyone,

I've been on these boards on and off for awhile now but rarely post.  I ran across this thread yesterday and wanted to throw my hat in the ring.  I've been chronic for 11 years now and have tried all kinds of different things.  I get my best results from verapamil and cafergot but even they aren't as effective as they used to be.

What really caught my attention was the 25(OH)D levels.  Just by chance, I had some bloodwork done by a holistic doctor I was seeing.  My wife convinced me to try something new to try and get another opinion about the clusters.  As I was reading all the information, I remembered something the doc told me as she was going over the results of my bloodwork.  I am deficient in vitamin D.  She just mentioned it in passing but I jumped up, grabbed my test results and sure enough....Vitamin D, 250OH - 30. 

Went out yesterday and now taking 10,000 IU of vitamin D, 3000mg of Omega 3 fish oil plus the Calcium / Zinc / Magnesium suplements as of this morning.  Crossing my fingers and I really hope this works!

Thank you guys for compiling all this information.  You may have just saved my butt!

IP Logged

B.Baer
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Northeast Pennsylvania
Reply #690 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 6:10pm

Batch,
Baer here, I'm all in, just went back into cycle with the recent time change.

What are the calcium and the other cofactor micronutrients of which you speak? I am going to log my usage, starting tomorrow.

I must admit, I've toyed with D-3 but not seriously till this past week, I'm taking 12,000 iu of D-3, 1000 mg fish oil, and 1000 mg calcium, 400mg magnesium and 15mg Zinc. On this for about a week.

Seemed manageable and quite light of a cycle, THEN, oddly enough, had bacon for the first time in a long time and the hits are more frequent and much worse. I've read of this in this thread and it could have caused the increase.

I await your response, again, I'm all in. My neuro is Dr. Rozen, and I've already sent him an e-mail asking about having blood levels done.

Thanks for all you do, and I'll keep you posted. I await your response.

All the best,

Baer

Barry Baer  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #691 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 5:55pm

ClosetCHer, Seed, B.Bear,

Thanks for the comments.

ClosetCHer, We used the 5 Ws all the time in order to maintain situational awareness...

I spent nearly 25 wonderful years in the Navy and most of that in the cockpit of fighters... F-9 Cougars, F-8 Crusaders and F-4 Phantoms... so an occasional acronym is unavoidable... 

Two of my favorite fighter pilot speak calls are "BUGOUT" and "YOYO"...   When you get in a fur ball, a dog fight with a bunch of BANDITS (bad guy jets) and you're running low on fuel...  it's time to depart the area and head back to the ship or an airborne tanker for HAPPY HOUR (inflight refueling)... 

Under these conditions you call BUGOUT! over the radio... That lets your wingman know it's time to depart - Let's get out of here while we're still in one piece and no holes... 

If your wingman calls back he wants to stay and play (continue fighting the bad guys)...  you tell him YOYO!  If you don't come with me now... You're-On-Your-Own...

Seed,

Welcome to the club, I know you're going to find this regimen to your liking...  You've made a wise decision starting this regimen and the odds are high you'll have a favorable response if you stick with it.   

Your wife also made a wise decision to have you see a holistic doctor.  Holistic/Naturopathic physicians believe that the human body has an innate healing ability...  if you give it what it needs...  As such they look at the whole body including the status of all it's functions and any deficiencies as they relate to a given medical condition.

Unfortunately, too many neurologists are narrowly focused on the brain and pain so looking for other medical conditions that may relate to or aggravate CH is simply not on their checklist of things to do or med's to try.

I'm beginning to think most CH'ers would be better served if they see a neurologist for the diagnosis then see a holistic/naturopathic physician or an endocrinologist for treatment of their CH... 

I know that may sound like heresy in some CH circles... but the though is intriguing.

From the data I've collected so far, CCH'ers tend to take a bit longer to respond to this regimen than ECH'ers so stick with it.  It only took two days for me to go completely pain free on this regimen while other CCH'ers have taken 20 - 45 days for favorable response so don't get impatient...

Please keep us posted.

B.Bear,

Glad to hear you're "all in" on the use of this regimen to prevent your CH...  As I said earlier, I think you're going to like the results, just stick with it.

The vitamin D3 cofactors are magnesium, vitamin K (K1 & K2), zinc and boron. 

"Which vitamin K should I use?

While research indicates both vitamin K1 and K2 have beneficial actions in the body, it is vitamin K2 that is indicated as a necessary co-factor for vitamin D. However, the jury is still out as to the various actions by MK-4 and MK-7 in the body, and which one, if either, is more essential to health."

There's a complete explanation of vitamin D3 cofactors and their natural sources at the following link:

Basically, these cofactors aid in the absorption and metabolism of vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol).  It's always a good idea to take the calcium supplements.  We need a total intake of calcium of 1,000 to 1,500 mg/day from all sources...  1,500 for the folks 50 and over like me.

Dr. Todd Rozen, M.D. is one of the top neurologists in the US specializing in treating patients with CH.  He's also a migraineur so knows what headache pain can do to us. 

I've been working with Todd since 2007 primarily on the use of oxygen flow rates that support hyperventilation as the safest and most effective CH abortive available to us.  I've also been sending him data on the effectiveness of the anti-inflammatory regimen with 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 since December 2011. 

So far it appears he is still a bit skeptical on the benefits of this regimen so it will be interesting to hear how he responds to your request for the 25(OH)D lab test.

Please keep us posted on your progress with this regimen and let me know how Dr. Rozen responds.

Take care All and thanks again for the comments.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

B.Baer
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Northeast Pennsylvania
Reply #692 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 6:40pm

Batch,

Thanks again, I'm off to find K-1 and K-2. I did ramp up the D-3 yesterday. Oddly, and I find this fascinating, I had one very mild hit around 10:00 PM  before I went to bed.

Slept through the night and did not awaken till 6:30 am, first that's happened in over a week.

More interesting however, was I had one very mild hit today, easily knocked down with O2..... BUT... I called my wife to explain a phenomenon that had occurred.

I stopped at an ATM to get some cash, and looked down to check the checking balance. I COULD READ IT. I've not been able to do that in years, without my reading glasses.

Years ago, I took medically prescribed Sansert, and took the doses too close together. I called her that day to tell her my hearing had improved, it hadn't, Sanserts very close to LSD in properties, and can get you a little trippy if taken too close together. That wore off.... Shocked

I in no way recommend Sansert, it can help, but can't be taken for long periods of time and can have some nasty short and long term side effects. I just ref this, as I've been around the block with many meds over the years and the experience was relevent to this post. Should you chose to Google this, you'll find it's only available in Canada and then only with a script. Consult your Neurologist and Primary Physician before any medications are attempted. I truly DON'T recommend this drug.

Back to Deb, I told her I was NOT having a Sansert moment, but asked her to look up something on line. She found some indication that D-3 increase can improve vision in "Older" patients. I am 56 and I guess I qualify. I just thought I'd throw it out there, because it most def. increased my visual clarity.

Anyone else have these results??? I went up to 20,000 IU's yesterday while I was doing 10,000 for the past week. I'm now going to back it down to 10 or possibly 12,000 and see what happens.

I will def. let you know what Dr. Rozen's response is, as you know he's a great guy, and dedicated Neurologist, he's also gonna' question me down, I'm sure. I'm interested as well, as to his response.

Batch, I'm very fair skinned, used to be a red head when I had hair color. I still have hair, just well... it's not red anymore. I saw a post you had responded to and felt, perhaps I needed a bit of a push to get my levels up. By all indications it just may have helped.

I hope this continues and will keep you updated.

This is exactly what makes this forum so helpful and useful. Education and sharing of information.

Good on you my friend.

All the best,

Baer

Barry Baer  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #693 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 9:09pm

I've been on this regimen for a month now, the first two weeks at 10,000 i.u.'s of vitamin D3, the last two weeks having upped the dosage to 20,000 i.u.'s per day (along with the minerals and fish oil). Due to new responsibilities at work, I have had to take imitrex to control the hits I've been getting (5-6 per day). Some reach K7, and most respond reasonably well to O2.

The question I have for anyone who might venture a guess is this: I suspect that the hits I've been getting are rebound in nature from the trex. I will not have a chance to stop the trex until this weekend as I'll be on vacation next week. Any ideas as to how long these rebounds might continue before I'm detoxed from it enough to see if the D3 regimen is actually benefiting me?

I'm preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Jacey
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Yorkshire, England
Reply #694 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 12:25pm

Hi guys.  Wondering if you can help.  I've been on the vit d and fish oil regime for a couple of weeks now.  Still waiting for serum results but I'm a pasty faced Brit so not expecting it to be high.  After first week the hits reduced in both number and strength which was great, unfortunately they are now back! Hitting around a 5/6 each time and getting up to 5 a day. I'm still on 240mg of verapamil a day and just to add insult to it have got several huge patches of excema!  I've been taking 15,000 iu of the D3 and wonder if I should up it to 20,000 even without the test results? Partly wondering if I'm just having a reaction to trying to "clean " things up a bit. I'm trying to cut out processed food and use less chemicals in everyday stuff.  Can't do any harm!  I'm also drinking loads of water too.  Any suggestions?

IP Logged

Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Reply #695 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 1:13pm

Hello just adding to this rather than replying to one post. Apologies if this has already been mentioned as I have not been back through all the posts.
It struck me that some of what is contained in these posts relates to what many herbalists have been saying since the 1920s. They felt that most illness stemmed from high levels of acidity and a low PH balance is healthy. An alkaline diet is the way to achieve this. D3 reduces acidity and increases alkaline.
There also seems to be a link between mushrooms and vitamin D. I was taking D3 this year but still went into cycle although to be fair it was not a high dose and I wasn't taking it for CH prevention as I did not know anything about it until I read these post.
I will certainly look into this and try it to see if I come into remission. Saying this I am in the 5% and last year no CH at all. ET.

ET

IP Logged

Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Reply #696 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 1:26pm

Sorry need to correct a sentence. Should read high levels of acidity and a high PH balance.
ET

ET

IP Logged

Zahava
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #697 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 4:36pm

Hi-
I'm new to this site & somewhat overwhelmed with the amount of information. My recent headaches started 11/11. At first diagnosed as migraine (since I've had them before) Smiley & now a CH. I'm 65, female, weight, about 112. I've searched for "the regiment" & can't find exactly the ingredients/dosage and if it's different for women etc. My "headache specialist" has tried everythig & is now prescribing topomax, lithium & O2 when needed. I want to start the D3 regiment etc. & not sure exactly what to buy, when to take, best brands, etc. Any help getting started will be GREATLY appreciated.
Thx,
Z

IP Logged

Zahava
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #698 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 7:58pm

Being new to this VERY informative site, I have a zillion questions. The first being: Do I, a 65 year old female weighing 112 lbs, take the 10,000 IU of D3 & fish oil all at one time or spread it out etc ? My headache statrted in Nov. '11 & still going strong. I'm taking topamax, lithium, & O2. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thx,
Z

IP Logged

Zeitgeist
CH.com Alumnus

Clustery szcmustery

|Norway|
Reply #699 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 9:17pm

Hi Zahava
You should get your blood tested for Vit. D. And generally it is a good idea to involve your doctor (though some of the are kind of skeptical to  remedies that doesn't originate from a factory, carries a brand and a price tag.)

First, make sure you take vitamin d with food, preferably some fatty food.  I my self take vit d, calcium, magnesium and zinc for breakfast. But especially the magnesium can be split in one morning and one evening dose, as it is quicly "burnt" in the body.

The standard daily regimen is
2-3000 mg Omega 3 Fish Oil
10.000 I.U. D3
500 mg Magnesium (avoid magnesium oxide)
500 mg Calcium
10 mg Zinc

Many add K1 og K2, mainly to help the body optimise the use usage of calcium.

Most of us have individual variants of this, but it is a good starting point.  If you eat much milk/diary products, the amount of Calcium can be reduced. Dark green vegetables - for instance broccoli - is high on vit K.  Bananas are a good magnesium source. Etc.

All the ingredients in the regimen is found in various foods, except for vitamin D which is hard to get from food - that is - in the amounts we deal.

I myself begun late june. It's been 9 months now, and the results have been great, just great.

Good luck!  I really hope it proves as effective for you as for numerous others!

-zg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 107
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!