Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
when to stop taking verapamil (Read 20797 times)
Layla328
CH.com Hall of Famer

Boston
when to stop taking verapamil
Feb 17th, 2011 at 7:27pm

Verapamil has been a miracle drug for me and has stopped my cluster headaches.  I have been taking verapamil, dramamine and melatonin every night and this has stopped a brutal headache cycle.  But I feel like the verapamil is making me somewhat depressed.  (I am not complaining but don't particularly enjoy the feeling--but I would use it again in a heartbeat if my headaches started again but I wish I could go off it now, but I am too afraid the headaches will come back.  I have not had a headache in many weeks, but I sometimes get pressurey feelings on the left side like my head is not totally normal--but they are not twinges and they are not shadows but they are a feeling that my head is not normal if this makes sense.  Should I proceed with trying to stop taking verapamil? (This is the first cycle I have used it so any advice appreciated).  I hope everyone is doing well--you guys helped me so much maintain my sanity for a month of these brutal headaches.
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2011 at 7:28pm by Layla328 »  

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: when to stop taking verapamil
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 7:32pm

My prevent is lithium. The rule of thumb I use is 2 weeks completely pain free, I begin to slowly wean down from 1200 mg to zero. When I hit 600 mg., I find out if the beast is still there or not, as he comes knocking with a vengeance! If I start getting hit, I ramp back up to 1200 mg. and wait for another 2 weeks of pain free time.

Verapamil is a great prevent, but remember, it is also a high horse power med that isn't to be taken lightly. I'd sit down with your doc, explain your belief you may be at or near then end of a cycle, and work out a gentle down taper of the verapamil. Have the 02 at the ready! Smiley Praying you're right and the beast is done with you this go round.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

tgardpak
CH.com Newbie

Let up for a second and
thats where you'll finish

x0|Girard|USA||||OH,Ohio
Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 7:50pm

I usually stop taking it after I have been PF for 2 weeks. Fortunately for me I have no side effects from it and just stop when I feel I can.  I'm currently on 650 mg a day and still get an occasional shadow but I'm not completely ready to stop taking it. Been in therapy for 5 weeks. Hope the cycle will be busted shortly!!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 7:52pm

Do you ramp down slowly or just stop taking the verapamil one day? I was of the impression you were supposed to taper it down. I don't take it so have no personal experience! Smiley

Joe

IP Logged

tgardpak
CH.com Newbie

Let up for a second and
thats where you'll finish

x0|Girard|USA||||OH,Ohio
Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 8:54pm

I taper off right now I do 3 am 2 pm I'll go to 2 and 2 then 1 and 1 and then stop. As I stated before I was 2 years without anything then about 5 weeks ago WHAM!! they just came back went on therapy right away and they are bearable.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 8:08am

My experiment with tapering off verapamil was an epic failure. I hadn't had a full blown hit since last April so my neuro decided to phase down on the verapamil. I started by lowering it 40mgs/day for 10 days, then another 40 and then, as you said, WHAM...they came back. So...I'm going back up. I've had to use Migranal 3x now in the past 3 weeks, and I haven't had to use that for a long time. My BP is a little low making me feel tired a lot, but I'll swap that over the pain any day. God bless. lance

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 8:17am

There are no clear guidelines and most suggestions here is to taper off a "few" (2-4??) weeks after your last attack. But be prepared to get back on if attacks return--don't wait and see what develops.

In rare situations, folks with rapid cycles or very unstable patterns, may stay on Verap. 100%--but I know of only a couple of situations where that was needed.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

ImOnlyHuman
CH.com Sponsor

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 12:10pm

Good Question! When do ya stop? Thats the problem. Seems doctors dont know and are also guessing .

I have been taking Verapamil 240mgs extended for over 1 year now. When I read on Internet how high dosages of Verap were helping people, I told my doctor and he increased my dosage that I was already taking for blood pressure. BAM! Instant Prevention Relief! Just now realizing that I should have dropped down to my original blood pressure dosage after it got me over my CH cycle. Was kinda afraid to stop myself. I think that is probably normal for anyone with Cluster Headaches.
   about 3weeks ago I started another CH cycle. Havent sleept more than 2 hours pain free in 3 weeks.
   Thanks to this website and the good people on it (not doctors) I am figuring out what I should have done. Am waiting on Dr. to call me back now.
   Hope he agrees. I do have a nice full bottle and hope he says "go ahead and double the dosage".
  Will be hard not to do it myself if he dont agree, but 3 weeks with practically no sleep is rough.
GOD  BLESS  THIS  SIGHT!!!

IP Logged

Layla328
CH.com Hall of Famer

Boston
Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 12:56pm

You all,

Thanks so much for all your feedback.  It seems from reading here that it makes sense to taper off instead of just stopping abruptly.  Technically I think I have not had any head PAIN for at least 2 weeks--just weird pressurey feeling about every 3 days.  I do have a feeling of apprehension that since my cycles are usually 3 1/2 months how could I have gotten a break like this and maybe they will return but I will at least give it a try.  I really feel for those whose headaches came back when they tried to go off of it.  I am fearful mine will too but as others are saying it was a no brainer to go on the verapamil, because the headaches were way too ferocious this time starting out the cycle with 4 per night--one and a half hours of sleep--don't want to go back to that but my fingers are crossed and will try to taper off soon and let you guys know how it goes.  Good luck to all of you--I'monlyhuman, don't know if this helps but I did find that 12 mg melatonin and 4 dramamine per night along with 360 verpamil seemed to be a magic combination.  I tried benadryl also but found that although benadryl seemed to be working better intially it's positive effect was not long lasting over the course of weeks and it was the dramamine that seemed to really get me sleeping in combination with the melatonin (which I am really not sure how much if any positive affect melatonin had this time I would say very little) and verap that helped.  So I credit the dramamine and verap.  Hope this can help at all.

IP Logged

Layla328
CH.com Hall of Famer

Boston
Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 1:01pm

Wimsey I am so sorry yours came back Sad  I hope that in the future you will have a different outcome when trying to taper--maybe at some time in the near future something will click and the headaches will be truly gone when you try to taper.  I'll post again to see if it works for me and if I can think of anything useful about what ends up happening.
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2011 at 1:04pm by Layla328 »  

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #10 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 9:48pm

Quote:
I usually stop taking it after I have been PF for 2 weeks. Fortunately for me I have no side effects from it and just stop when I feel I can.

Ditto

IP Logged

37-41withrestrictions
CH.com Veteran

NOT SO PF AT THE MOMENT

Chester UK
Reply #11 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 4:49am

Im so glad I found this thread as it has answered my question I was about to post!

I have only been on the verapamil since June last year and had it increased to 120mg Bd (240mg a day)in Jan this year, I have had a couple of breakthroughs but on the whole nothing compared to pre verapamil and life is becoming 'normal' and I've nearly stopped fearing going to sleep.

I stopped taking the verapamil a couple of weeks ago and got a hit 2 nights later! started straight back on it at the increased dose (240mg) but I am struggling with how it makes me feel, I too feel depressed ( I don't use that team lightly as a psychiatric nurse) I am lethargic, unmotivated and irritable....Not me at all
So I've stopped the tablets again... no taper and no consultation with a doc, 5 days without and no side effects from stopping the meds.
I don't advocate this its just my experience and in my job I would always advise seeking medical input however it is difficult when Dr's don't have the knowledge or experience of this condition 

Sue:)

If you see something you want.. reach out and grab it with both hands.....just watch out you dont get a smack in the chops for grabbing the wrong thing!!!
suzieq6343  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #12 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 9:25am

Souns like beasty may be done with you this go round, hoping that's the case Sue. You might consider lithium as your prevent next go round. I'm male, 51, about 190 lbs, my effective dosing is currently 1200 mg a day when on cycle. Blocks 60-70% of my attacks. Used to block close to 90% at dosing as low as 900 mg a day, but like with everything else, beasty seems to find a way around it! Wink

Only side effects are you pee a LOT the first couple of weeks..it is a salt...and you get a little lethargy, nothing a cup or two of coffee doesn't take care of.

Joe

IP Logged

37-41withrestrictions
CH.com Veteran

NOT SO PF AT THE MOMENT

Chester UK
Reply #13 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 8:18am

Massive lesson learned!
Guess who can to visit last night!
I have started back on the verapamil straight away, think I tried to run before I could walk,
gutted  Sad Cry

Sue

If you see something you want.. reach out and grab it with both hands.....just watch out you dont get a smack in the chops for grabbing the wrong thing!!!
suzieq6343  
IP Logged

Batty
CH.com Veteran

I thought it was CH...but
my helmet is too tight!

E'Port Cheshire UK
Reply #14 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 9:12am

If you don't try Sue, you will never succeed!

Respect

Gary

"An old Wolf may lose his teeth, but never his nature.."
paskahomma  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #15 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 9:53am

A temporary set back Sue. Smiley

Joe

IP Logged

37-41withrestrictions
CH.com Veteran

NOT SO PF AT THE MOMENT

Chester UK
Reply #16 - Feb 21st, 2011 at 4:53am

Thanks Joe & Gary
Back on the meds
Had a little dance last night but 'he' aint going to get the better of me!!!
Sue

suzieq6343  
IP Logged

Graemel
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Taupo NZ
Reply #17 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 4:55am

I have had CH almost permanently for the last 5 years. Prior to that they came in cycles of a few months and years apart. I was on cafergot for a long time until the docs told me I could not continue because of possible sideeffects. Cafergot is taken after first signs of CH appearing but it worked quite well. It just meant I had to go through an abbreviated CHbefore the muti kicked in. I am now taking 120mg verapamil daily and twice a week I take an extra 120mg. It has almost completely removed my CH and now I take approx 1 cafergot a week. I still get the odd weird feeling in my head but it has changed my life. However I do get a bit irritable so this thread is helping me. The doc never said that could be a side effect. But then what is the alternative? I would also like to reduce or stop taking it but for now I will stay on the daily dose.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #18 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 9:42am

I used to use the oral cafergot too. In the earlier stages of CH, they built relatively slow, and the oral cafergot worked okay. Others have used the suppository form of cafergot as it gets in the system quicker. It's fallen out of favor as there are many more efficient treatments, without all the potential side effects!

Glad to hear the verapamil is giving you some peace, there's a reason it's the front line prevent as it works so well for so many. Have you had a chance to try 02 yet?

Joe

IP Logged

Graemel
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Taupo NZ
Reply #19 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 2:09am

I tried O2 once at the doctors but it did not seem to help. I am still getting the odd CH and have increased my verapamil dosage = 2 tablets a day total 240mg. Will see how it goes.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #20 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 11:28am

240mg of Verapamil is still a pretty low dose with 360-480mg being what is commonly needed to be effective with some people taking up to 1000mg.

When you tried oxygen at the doctors was it at a high flow rate (15lpm or higher)? Was it using a non-rebreather mask? Did you start it within a few minutes of the CH starting? If the answer to any of these was a no then that probably explains why it wasn't too effective.

IP Logged

lirrgirl14
CH.com Newbie

long island new york
Reply #21 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 5:45pm

i my self have been taking 240mg of vermapimil for 2 yrs straight every night before bed. and have been ch free for 2yrs.

catherine
lirrgirl14 lirrgirl224  
IP Logged

JermCool
CH.com Newbie

Not stupid, just crazy.

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #22 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 6:52pm

I'm currently on 80mg Verapamil x3/day and it seems to be fairly effective, but the doc says I'm going to be on it for the rest of my life - even when I'm out of cycle.

Now I just need this cycle to end!  I haven't had a decent night of getting sloshed in over a month!   Angry

JermCool  
IP Logged

ClusterFied
CH.com Newbie

Monroe, Ohio
Reply #23 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 5:46pm

Hello. A new person here.
The Dr. just put me back on a low dose of Verapamil Friday, as in the past week my Clusters have taken a real significant change. Its nice to see all the comments and knowledge on it from actual users. (This stuff even low dose makes me LOOPY)
I will post more in other places describing these changes I speak of probably tomorrow as I have to go have 2 MRI's here in a bit to see if something has changed to cause the drastic changes.

Spes mea in Deo est

IP Logged

Layla328
CH.com Hall of Famer

Boston
Reply #24 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 6:33pm

Hey guys, I have not been on here for a while and did not know people were still posting on this thread.  Glad to see that it was a useful topic to bring up!
For an update, I am still on verapamil.  The weird pressurey feeling every couple of days never went away and I was too nervous to go off the verapamil.  Unfortunately about a week ago I began having more ominous twinges--some that would wake me up right after I fell asleep--weird--but no headaches.  Anyway I am taking my doctor VERY seriously when he said to wait 2 full weeks with no head pain/twinges/pressure.
Needless to say I am scared of the alternative which is going back to basically nonstop CHs at night.  BUT I will say when this bottle of verapamil runs out I will probably give it a try to see if I can get through the night.  I have turned into a wimp!  Maybe I will try sooner to stop taking it.  Anyway, very interesting to read what people have written.  Verapamil has helped me tremendously but no doubt it has extended my cycle--doesn't matter to me though as the alternative was horrendous.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!