Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
when to stop taking verapamil (Read 20799 times)
ViolinVixen
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: when to stop taking verapamil
Reply #25 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 10:41pm

Hi, I'm new here and have a similar question. I was recently diagnosed with cluster headaches and have been taking 120 mg verapamil for about 6 weeks. After taking it for a little over 2 weeks, I stopped having attacks (!) 5 days ago, I forgot to take the medicine for 2 days. The past 3 days I have had attacks again at night. They are very severe, but these are only lasting about 15- 30 minutes total. Previously they would last about 2 hours. Is it possible that skipping those 2 doses made the headaches start again? How does verapamil effect the headaches? Is it possibly just making them shorter? Also, is it helpful to take it in the evening instead of the morning? I've been doing mornings because of insomnia but I only get attacks at night... Sorry for the long post and thanks for any advice!

IP Logged

chopmyheadoff
CH.com Hall of Famer

Its only a headache, deal
with it - SMACK

x1|warrington|United_Kingdom|europe|158|187|
Reply #26 - Apr 13th, 2011 at 11:59am

Layla328 wrote on Apr 12th, 2011 at 6:33pm:
.  I have turned into a wimp! 

dood i think ch'ers are some of the bravest people on the planet. What is wimpy about being apprehensive of unimaginable pain ?? lol

id like to see someone call me a wimp to my face dealing with this sh1t  Angry

for the record, i havent had much luck with verapamil in the past but have just started a pred taper (godsend) and have been convinced by dr silver to try verap at a really high dose one last time.

so now im on 960ed - going for an ecg this week and he is going to increade it again to around the 1200 mark.

should see the looks i get in the chemist when i go to dispense my prescription lol

but i just slap them out of the way with a personal letter that he has written for me telling "to whom it may concern" to just shut up and dispense my meds tee hee.

i also have them giving me 15 boxes of imigran at a time on demand now  Cheesy

little letter goes a long way (if its from a man with more letters after his name than letters in his name)

pfd
chops

IP Logged

Layla328
CH.com Hall of Famer

Boston
Reply #27 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 12:08pm

Chops,

Oh my gosh I need to clarify what I meant--first let me say I agree with you 100% that CHers are some of the bravest people in the world!!!  I have been episodic CH since I was 14, and all I meant was that I am afraid to stop the verapamil even though I have O2 available if the headaches were to come back at night--in my younger days I had a thicker skin (for whatever reason) and would have been able to deal with just seeing for one night if they came back if I had O2 available.  I shouldn't have called myself a wimp though!  It is surprising to me that I am so fearful of them returning I guess, because I feel that I have been dealing with episodes for so long it would seem one night should not make me so afraid.  But please accept my apology I feel that CHers are unbelievably brave and also since people who don't have CH don't really understand what we are going through it is not like others are able to recognize how brave we are and that makes it all the more courageous that we deal with these horrible headaches.
ViolinVixen, yes it is possible that because you stopped taking the medicine that is why the headaches came back, and also yes it is possible that the medicine is making them shorter when they came back.  My doctor told me that the way the verapamil works is that it bonds with something in the hypothalamus.  He also told me that the frequency of my headaches during cycle was a result of not having been on verapamil in the past.
As far as taking it in the morning or before bed, I am a nighttime sufferer so I take it at night.  You wrote that because of insomnia you take it in the morning, but it might make more sense to take it at night because it can help you sleep (doctor said that) and also it makes sense to take it before the time when your headaches normally strike.  My doctor told me to wait 2 full weeks without any head pain (twinges, shadows, etc.) before stopping taking the medicine.  He really stressed that point, because he said, if I don't wait the full 2 weeks that the headaches could resurface and come back at that point.  I hope some of this was helpful.  I also take 12 mg melatonin and 4 dramamine at night along with the verapamil.  I was experiencing very frequent nighttime headaches and so far this combo is working and has suppressed any attacks.  I hope that you can also go back to being painfree!!!

IP Logged

musophil
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

West Midlands, (olde) England
Reply #28 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 10:31am

Well, I've been taking 960mg per day for about 4 weeks after ramping up slowly from 120mg. 

Pain levels and attack frequency had both tailed off to well within tolerance for me.  I can deal with one mild attack every few days rather than 4-7 full-blown nasties per day, as I can just stick myself with a sumatriptan pen and breeze it away, whereas with any more than 2 attacks per day I obviously can't "waste" pens on mild attacks.

It's now been over a week since I've had any sort of attack,  at all, and the last few barely hit kip 5, so I came looking for information on when and how to cut down on the Verapamil.

My CH period has been three times longer this time around than my previous bout (3 months compared with 1 month), so I'm fairly confident that the bout is coming to an end anyway, if it hasn't ended already.

I'm just sick of spending money I don't have on taxis to the doctor's, taxis to the pharmacist, taxis home again, and having to deal with being out and about while suffering from depression, general anxiety and social anxiety, so I'm eager to stop needing more Verapamil.

I'm also sick of taking so many meds in the morning that I feel like I've already eaten a snack before I even start my breakfast.

Tempted to just skip today's dose and see what happens.

Has anyone gone cold-turkey on Verapamil before, from 960mg or thereabouts? 

Are there any dangers of just stopping, does anyone know?

I see people are recommending a slow ramp-down, but if I do it that way, then I'm going to need at least one more if not two more trips to the doctor/pharmacy.

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2016 at 10:31am by musophil »  
IP Logged

RRavik
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Gresham Oregon
Reply #29 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 12:20pm

Something I haven't seen published anywhere is the use of Nortriptyline. I was offered Verapamil when my CH was first diagnosed. I was also offered Nortriptyline. I was told Nortriptyline is easier on the body. What I found was that it takes awhile to build up enough to do any good. My prescription was for 10mgs caps. I started with one for 3 days then two for 3 days then three for 3 days and so on. I now take six everyday while I think I am in season. When I think my season is ended I start to reduce in the same way as I started. It works for me. I have never seen a posting for this before so, I thought it might help.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #30 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 4:40pm

RRavik wrote on Aug 3rd, 2016 at 12:20pm:
Something I haven't seen published anywhere is the use of Nortriptyline. I was offered Verapamil when my CH was first diagnosed. I was also offered Nortriptyline. I was told Nortriptyline is easier on the body. What I found was that it takes awhile to build up enough to do any good. My prescription was for 10mgs caps. I started with one for 3 days then two for 3 days then three for 3 days and so on. I now take six everyday while I think I am in season. When I think my season is ended I start to reduce in the same way as I started. It works for me. I have never seen a posting for this before so, I thought it might help.

...like amitriptyline is an anti-depressant with reported success treating migraine....many docs like to try for ch.  Poor results reported here for ami and is old line. I tried 15-20 yrs ago and the only effect I got was an inability to get out of bed in the morning.

Nori supposedly has fewer side effects...but ami metabolizes to nori...so go figure. If it works for you...GREAT...

best

jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #31 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 5:33pm

For those of you that are on verapamil. The vitamin D regimen is worth a try as a preventative, it Has a good record of becoming pain free and is a safer option.

Hoppy
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2016 at 7:25pm by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #32 - Aug 5th, 2016 at 1:25am

musophil wrote on Aug 3rd, 2016 at 10:31am:
Tempted to just skip today's dose and see what happens.

Has anyone gone cold-turkey on Verapamil before, from 960mg or thereabouts? 

Are there any dangers of just stopping, does anyone know?

I see people are recommending a slow ramp-down, but if I do it that way, then I'm going to need at least one more if not two more trips to the doctor/pharmacy.

Skipping one dose probably won't have too much of an effect since dose changes normally take 7-10 days to become effective. So don't base anything on a single day test.

I'd strongly suggest you talk to your doctor about how to ramp down since you're on a pretty high dose and a sudden stop may impact how your body is regulating blood pressure.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #33 - Aug 5th, 2016 at 1:28am

RRavik wrote on Aug 3rd, 2016 at 12:20pm:
Something I haven't seen published anywhere is the use of Nortriptyline.

Nortriptyline is the first preventive I used and it was reasonably effective, but I found that verapamil did a much better job at preventing CHs and later I moved to D3 which was even more effective.

As to how well each will work for you, you'll need to try them to compare how effective they are, what the side effects are for you, etc.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!