Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
walking a fine line (Read 26600 times)
feisty
CH.com Veteran

west coast, BC, Canada
Re: walking a fine line
Reply #25 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 3:01pm

An interesting thing happened yesterday. I was dreading the boat cruise that we went on for 3.5 hours between 530-9 PM - because he usually uses oxygen during that time to ward off a shadow/cluster attack. But...nothing  Smiley . He got the shadow soon after getting home though (late) and the full attack in the night.

Just 2 weeks ago, a similar thing happened. An important work party 5-10 PM - the attack was just starting at the end and we called a cab right away.

We otherwise we have avoiding going out during this cycle due to dh being tired all the time, and wanting to be close to O2.

It's making us wonder about the timing/triggers.

Is the home a trigger somehow? Indoor allergies? There are allergens - probably dust mite issues in the bedroom due to old carpet, and there are 2 guinea pigs with hay in the lining room (probably some mold associated with wet hay).

Or is dh getting stressed at home? There are stressors too - talking about CH, rowdy kids, etc.

Smiley wife of 48 year old husband who suffers from episodic CH ~ Batch's Anti-Inflammatory Regimen works!

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #26 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 3:26pm

There is no point trying to take the 02 calmly. He should have the highest flow he can, and huff it up as fast as he can. It's the hyperventilation that constricts the blood vessel which is causing the trouble. The pain would be gone in a few minutes and he could go back to sleep.

Your husband is not really being fair to you (sorry, I don't mean to criticize). You are going to so much trouble to help him, not to mention the worry, yet he is resisting at every turn. He wouldn't be sleep deprived if he followed the advice from us. We are experts at this and have learned over time how to handle it. And most importantly, we learned from each other.

You say you don't know how he would manage on his own, but perhaps it's time to let him try. Then he may appreciate the help that's being offered. Don't abandon him of course, just let him get on with it for a while. Tough love.

I'm so sorry if this sounds harsh. I wouldn't want to hurt your feelings for the world, or his, but I just don't understand why someone would rather suffer such hell, than do it the easy way. But as I've said before, it's his pain.

I hope I haven't offended you, that wasn't my intention at all. I hope his cycle ends soon, maybe he will listen to reason when he's not in so much pain and stress.
Please stay in touch here. You need us even if he thinks he doesn't.
Maz.

IP Logged

feisty
CH.com Veteran

west coast, BC, Canada
Reply #27 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 4:40pm

I'm not offended at all maz. Thanks for being honest.

Quote:
There is no point trying to take the 02 calmly. He should have the highest flow he can, and huff it up as fast as he can. It's the hyperventilation that constricts the blood vessel which is causing the trouble. The pain would be gone in a few minutes and he could go back to sleep.
That makes sense to me. I really appreciate the information and experience that is shared here.

He insisted that cold packs wouldn't help him but when he actually tried it, they helped!

Quote:
Please stay in touch here. You need us even if he thinks he doesn't.
Thank you, I appreciate the support and understanding very much.

Smiley wife of 48 year old husband who suffers from episodic CH ~ Batch's Anti-Inflammatory Regimen works!

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #28 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 8:22pm

And to offer a different perspective for a bit of balance. I can also see why your husband is thinking the way he is. CH, especially when initially untreated, does get to you. It has a way of grinding you down and just normal life stuff can get too hard. This should be no surprise when you consider what is happening. So trying to do too much all at once, no matter how valid the suggestions are, can get too much, so it can be a matter of taking small steps, with each improvement helping to put a slide to the downward spiral.

Or to put it another way, huge mountains like Everest are not climbed by giving someone a pile of mountaineering books written by experts, a backpack of equipment from the best climbing shop, etc... They are climbed by learning to climb small hills, then slightly larger ones and finally the biggest ones.

IP Logged

feisty
CH.com Veteran

west coast, BC, Canada
Reply #29 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 11:00pm

Mike NZ wrote on Jul 25th, 2014 at 8:22pm:
CH, especially when initially untreated, does get to you. It has a way of grinding you down and just normal life stuff can get too hard.
Yup. He's there  Sad . I think that's why he is having trouble problem solving here - something he's normally great at.

Today he actually had an attack during a meeting at work. It's been rare that he's had attacks during work hours this cycle and in the past. He had to leave an walk around until it subsided. When he told me about it he just looked so hopeless. After dinner he had a shower and went straight to bed.

Five days into the supplement regimen and it feels like things are getting worse, not better Sad .
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2014 at 11:01pm by feisty »  

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #30 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 9:06am

I'm only a ClusterHead and would never last seconds as a Supporter (don't know how you do it) but I can understand how hubby might be feeling just now.

When the fight is on I can't stand anyone near me and the only thing worse is someone 'trying to help'. They don't understand, they can't understand, and it's impossible for me to wrestle a monster while trying to explain.

I truly dips me lid to anyone so considerate toward us as you've been, Feisty, but I beg you take just one step back and give him a bit of fighting room.

You are truly to be admired for your efforts in learning about this dread disease, and all your knowledge will matter down the track. I just ask you allow him a little space in the meantime.

The work you've put in and what you've learned will matter.

Please, just give it time, and leave him room to move.

We truly care for our supporters,

Brian down under.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

feisty
CH.com Veteran

west coast, BC, Canada
Reply #31 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 12:52pm

Very useful perspective Brian. Of course, I never talk to dh during an attack. But...it feels like this cycle has taken over our lives in a way that I never experienced before. I am recognizing more and more that dh is coping with this 24/7, not just during attacks. I don't think he was prepared for how the pattern has changed for him. There's nothing he hates more than feeling out of control. He is not a fan of needing others either.

I'll hand him supplements and try to give him more space.

IP Logged

feisty
CH.com Veteran

west coast, BC, Canada
Reply #32 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 12:54pm

I think dh is having that thing where REM sleep triggers an attack. His typical pattern these days is an evening shadow, with a full attack about an hour or so after he falls asleep - that one is a doozy because he doesn't wake up until it's full-on. If he goes to sleep early, like last night, the attack hits early.

IP Logged

feisty
CH.com Veteran

west coast, BC, Canada
Reply #33 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 1:05am

I think there's still a lot of denial for dh. Today he seemed so happy after dinner because he hadn't had an attack all day. He settled down and started watching a music concert DVD. The attack started at 9:30 PM. He said he was hoping it wouldn't come, that he was just trying to enjoy himself. He sat there clutching his head, not heading for the O2 until it got really bad. Then he had tough time settling it down - sometimes sobbing with the pain.

His whole day is work, and pain management. There is no time or energy left for enjoyment, relaxation - even today he was working an extra contract.

Hard to watch.

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #34 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 2:51am

Next time get him on to the O2 much earlier, at the first sign of an attack. The faster you start it the quicker it works. Huff it down fast and after 10 minutes - gone. Stay on the O2 for another 10 minutes to be sure. I am a few days into a cycle now and with the O2 I've not had an attack worse than kip 4. See tab on left of your screen titled "kip scale".  If he doesn't go to the O2 immediately, bring it to him.

I remember well how hard it was to cope when I was working (retired now) but with the correct pain management his life need not be so disrupted. O2 at home, injections for when he's out and the attacks will stay relatively short, and mild. Only minimal tiredness, much less fear and stress waiting for the next one, no more sobbing with pain, and plenty of energy left for the good things in life. I am a few days into my cycle right now, and yesterday, I had 5 attacks through the night and another 3 during the day. I jumped on the O2 quickly, and got back to sleep soon, so although I had a disturbed night I did manage to get some sleep. During the day I went shopping (injection in my bag) did some house cleaning, made 7 pounds of jam, had a visit from my grand daughter, and enjoyed an evening of TV. Yes, I was tired, but not so much that I couldn't cope. There is life between the attacks. 

There are triggers for this thing. Alcohol is typical for many whilst in cycle, but OK at other times. Excessive heat is often another. But the problem is the triggers are different for all of us. If you can figure out what your husbands are it would be great but don't get too hopefull. In seven years I still don't know what causes mine as they seem totally random. Hot, cold, summer, winter, working, relaxing, sleeping, awake - doesn't seem to make much difference to me. Finding his triggers won't stop the thing, it just helps to avoid some of the attacks.

Waking up in pain about an hour after you go to sleep is very typical of CH. As your husband only had one attack yesterday maybe his cycle is slowing down and coming to an end. I hope so. When it does, don't get complacent. BE READY FOR NEXT TIME.

Good luck - keep us informed.
Maz.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2014 at 3:03am by maz »  

IP Logged

feisty
CH.com Veteran

west coast, BC, Canada
Reply #35 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 3:12pm

Thanks Maz. You truly are the voice of experience. I'm sorry you're going through a cycle Sad . It sounds like you really have found ways to manage it though - it sounds like managing is the key here.

Dh's stressful work life really is a big part of the problem here. He's an associate in his firm now and the buck stops with him when clients have needs. A key employee quit and dh needs to clone himself several times over.

He ended up having two attacks yesterday - one hit at 9:30 PM, then he went to sleep when it settled down, then another hit a while after he fell asleep. Then he had an allergy attack in the middle of the night and "couldn't breathe" (nose issues) and woke up with a sinus headache.

Triggers are hard to identify. Hot baths seem to be a problem - but he hasn't been doing this cycle that as it's summer. He drinks a lot of beer, but he tried doing without in previous cycles and it didn't seem to make a difference. And he's had attacks before having a beer during this cycle as well. You can drive yourself crazy trying to figure out it. This morning he says that relaxing might be a trigger  Roll Eyes .

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #36 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 5:45pm

feisty wrote on Jul 27th, 2014 at 3:12pm:
Dh's stressful work life really is a big part of the problem here. He's an associate in his firm now and the buck stops with him when clients have needs. A key employee quit and dh needs to clone himself several times over.

Stress is a trigger for many people with CH, although quite how it affects us varies. For some it is times of high stress, for others it is low stress and for others it is the transition between the two.

Ask Dh if he was managing someone going through what he is doing if he'd be expecting him to do all that you're suggesting or would he go with what he is doing? Maybe that might be a way to get him to see things differently?

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #37 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 6:08pm

Yes you will drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out. I don't try any more - I just roll with the punches.

In the early days I didn't have the correct meds and when I was in cycle I was 24/7 either in pain or afraid of the next one, or worring about the cause, or panicking to get important things done between attacks. I would wait for an attack, get through it, and go shopping the minute it had finished in the hope I could get home again before the next one. I was scared to go out, scared to meet up with friends - so no social life, not even a coffee,I didn't see my only grandchild for weeks because I didn't want to frighten her but she thought I stopped loving her and didn't want to see her any more.I was scared to go to bed and even more scared of getting up the next morning and facing another day of misery. FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.  I was in a very dark place and I will admit I contemplated the unthinkable on more than one occasion.

It affected every one, not just me. During one particularly bad attack which lasted 16 hours I took every pill and potion I could find, to the point where I was overdosed on several different meds at once. I watched my husband throw away all his own (much needed) medicine so I couldn't take it, while my 40 year old son sat on my bed and cried like a baby. As I've said on these threads before, While my head exploded, my heart broke.

But then, I got sumatriptan (imitrex) and that made a big difference, although you can only have 2 injections a day and I was having up to 8 attacks. All the same, it was a big help. Then in february this year I got the 02. You can use that as often as you need to so it has transformed my life. I've used it 4 times today (10.30 pm now) and no doubt I will hugging the tank a few more times during the night, but now I look upon it as a recurring  inconvenience rather than a reason to do something terrible. I won't say it never gets me down because it does, but I pull myself together and don't let it consume me any more.

So, I have accepted that this thing in my head will never go away but I have weapons now. So far, since february I have won every battle. I don't worry and stress over it any more, and I don't try to figure it out, because all that stuff consumes your life. I just DO it, 20 minutes at a time, instead of all day every day. I deal with it when it comes and when it's over I go right back to what I was doing before, and try not to even think about it till next time. If I'm out I just go to the nearest ladies room with my injection, and if I'm home I listen to Meatloaf full blast while the O2 does the rest.

Yes management is the key and your husband doesn't need the stresses of CH on top of his job. He may not be able to control the stresses of work but he can control the CH with the correct management. I expect he feels sorry for himself - I know I did big time, but once he accepts that he can control it he will learn to live with it and he will get his life back. And you'll get yours.

Keep fighting and stay strong. You can beat it.
Maz.

IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 1:06am

I feisty,
             Been following your despair in your threads !
I was one of those stubborn males that wouldn't accept my condition !!!!   Wink
Just wanted to say,  be strong, your doing a great job !
supporters like you are what helps us get thru this demon !
he may not appreciate everything your doing now, but he will.  And until that time, " we all appreciate your efforts in all your doing for him"  your a champion !
and as you've seen, we are all here for you in what ever advise or re assurance you need !!
kindest regards
col

IP Logged

shortstraw
CH.com Junior

02 blows - thankfully

Perth Western Australia
Reply #39 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 6:19am

Hi Feisty
I found this site and treatment because of someone like you, my wife.
I was stubborn and endured months of pain because of it.
She researched relentlessly and then put a firecracker under me.
I thank her for what she did and I thank you for what you are doing.
Stay strong, you are in the right place.
Alan

There are things worse than clusters .... just

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #40 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 10:53am

" you truly are the voice of experience"

I learned what I know from others here with far more experience and knowledge than me. Any credit due should go to them.

IP Logged

feisty
CH.com Veteran

west coast, BC, Canada
Reply #41 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 1:13pm

Thanks Mike, maz, shortstraw, blacklab Smiley . What some of you have endured  Shocked . Many CH sufferers have it MUCH worse than dh. That has been an eye opener for me - and scary that it could get worse.

Mike NZ wrote on Jul 27th, 2014 at 5:45pm:
[quote author=35363A20272A530 link=1405923272/35#35 date=1406488353]Stress is a trigger for many people with CH, although quite how it affects us varies. For some it is times of high stress, for others it is low stress and for others it is the transition between the two.
Yes, I wonder about that, although it seems like things have been high stress for a long time.

Mike NZ wrote on Jul 27th, 2014 at 5:45pm:
[quote author=35363A20272A530 link=1405923272/35#35 date=1406488353]Ask Dh if he was managing someone going through what he is doing if he'd be expecting him to do all that you're suggesting or would he go with what he is doing? Maybe that might be a way to get him to see things differently?
That would be a good way to get my head bit off Wink .

maz wrote on Jul 27th, 2014 at 6:08pm:
I was in a very dark place and I will admit I contemplated the unthinkable on more than one occasion.
Thank you for sharing your story. I can truly understand how a person could get there Sad . I am so glad you have O2 now. It's not a cure but this cycle I don't see how dh could have gone without O2 and toughed it out without going to a very very dark place.

Quote:
I was one of those stubborn males that wouldn't accept my condition !!!!   Wink
Col, stubborn males have some good points too Smiley . I see you are working really hard on the supplement solution - that is awesome.

shortstraw wrote on Jul 28th, 2014 at 6:19am:
She researched relentlessly and then put a firecracker under me. I thank her for what she did and I thank you for what you are doing.
Alan, I'm sure you're like my husband - you have earned the firecracker...and the loyalty from your wife.

I feel like I'm taking a lot of "air time" here on the forum  Embarrassed . I appreciate replies, but I don't expect replies every time I post. I just find it comforting to have somewhere to express my thoughts and feelings about this.

IP Logged

feisty
CH.com Veteran

west coast, BC, Canada
Reply #42 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 12:17pm

Last night was rough. Attacks at 9:30 PM, 11:30 PM, and 1:40 AM - the last two woke him up. Seems like what Batch describes here is happening:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Dh started oxygen almost 4 weeks ago so I'm hoping that these re-attacks start tapering off. He is not using the oxygen properly though - he just breathes normally at 12/15, not hyperventilating at higher flow (he has the information on how to do it properly). He is doing the taper off at lower flow though.

Last night he messaged me from the other room:
"I feel like you married a broken man. I did not know I was so broken."
Sad

Of course I don't see him that way and told him so. I asked him if he would be there for me if I had a health crisis - would he help me and still see me as the person he fell in love with? He said yes.

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #43 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 1:34pm

I use 15 lts per minute, but I don't hyperventilate.  It still works for me though. For what it's worth I do believe 15 is the lowest to get the desired effect.

Turn the dial up when he's not looking.  Wink

IP Logged

feisty
CH.com Veteran

west coast, BC, Canada
Reply #44 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 2:46pm

maz wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 1:34pm:
Smiley

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #45 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 7:07pm

maz wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 1:34pm:

Just one step at a time, so there is a gradual transition?

IP Logged

feisty
CH.com Veteran

west coast, BC, Canada
Reply #46 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 11:08pm

He doesn't like the feeling of the bag filling up faster than he normally breathes.

Based on Batch's advice, I am upping the D3 loading sched. So far:

day 1-5 - 20000 IU
day 6 - 50000 IU
day 7 - 20000 IU
day 8-9 - 50000 IU

IP Logged

feisty
CH.com Veteran

west coast, BC, Canada
Reply #47 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 1:24pm

Another awful night. Attack at 9:30 which was easily aborted with O2. Dh was dreading the next expected one, and stayed up late and refused to relax. Did that ward off one of attacks? Went to bed at 12:30 AM, and woke up with a really bad attack at 2:10 AM that he was not able to fully abort with O2. Stayed up until 4 AM  Sad

This IS getting worse.

IP Logged

feisty
CH.com Veteran

west coast, BC, Canada
Reply #48 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 12:19pm

last night:

one at 7:30 PM
a small one at 9:30 PM
the big one at 11:30 PM

This is getting worse. The cycle started just over a month ago, with 1-2 per day. Now it's 2-3 per day. I'm disappointed that dh is not responding to the anti-inflammatory regimen quickly, but really hoping that he's one of the folks whose response kicks in by the end of the second week.

He's gone through two M tanks and one E tank in the last week. He is starting to tweak is his breathing technique a bit and that does seem to help.

We were supposed to go for our first camping trip of the year in 9 days, and it looks like we'll either cancel or he won't join us Sad . First, if his CH continues he can't really do without O2 and that wouldn't work with camping. Also, he had tonnes of holiday time coming to him, but he can't take the two days off that he'd have to due to his role in the company. And...he's just burned out.

I really hate that this CH hit in the summer (it's ALWAYS been in October before). Our summers are so short here and I was really hoping we'd have a chance to more as a family this year. Sorry to whine  Embarrassed

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #49 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 1:50pm

It's OK to whine. You should have heard me last night. We all whine sometimes and we  will always listen cos we know how it is.

I had several hits last night, one of them lasting an hour and a half but I've been pain free all day thank god, but I dread going to sleep tonight. I have just made an appointment to see my Dr (usual 2 week wait) to get my O2 supply increased because what they give me barely lasts. I sucked up a whole tank full last night and STILL had to have an injection. I'm going to ask if I can get a higher flow too, but I don't think it's available here.

Where in Canada are you. South of England here, and we're having a heat wave which doesn't help when you feel like s**t.

Keep fighting one day at a time, and telling yourself it will end eventually. I do hope your poor husband gets his camping trip. Sounds like you could both do with a break.
Maz.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!