Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First ER trip (Read 2083 times)
owk
CH.com Junior

Seattle, WA
First ER trip
Dec 10th, 2016 at 5:49pm

So depressing and embarrassing. They gave me O2 at 15lpm (max it goes to) and compazine (sp?) and now, hours later, I'm pain free but in a weeeeird fog.

Hope you are all ok out there.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: First ER trip
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 6:59pm

Hey Owk,

Sorry you had such a rough time you needed to go to the ER.  Regarding oxygen therapy at the ER... if it's a wall mounted oxygen regulator with a clear vertical plastic tube calibrated to a maximum flow rate of 15 liters/minute like the one shown below...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The flow valve, (black nob) can be opened up for much higher flow rates as high as 60 liters/minute.

Compazine is indicated for Schizophrenia, Anxiety without Psychosis, Nausea and Vomiting.  It won't do much for CH, but it will give you a case of the buzzy fuzzies...

At least the ER team got the use of oxygen therapy at 15 liters/minute as a CH abortive right...

Check your PM InBox, I live 20 miles West of Seattle, cross sound, a few miles North of Bremerton.

Take care,

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2016 at 7:05pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 9:18pm

You're not alone in having needed to go to ER for a "headache", although you did well in getting oxygen provided as so often the doctors there just don't have a clue about how to handle CH.

If you can catch up with Batch do so. He really is a guru on vitamin D3 which works so well as a preventive plus also is an expert on using oxygen to abort CHs. Plus meeting up with another CHer is an amazing experience if you can make it happen.

Are you using a preventive? And do you have any abortives? It's much easier to handle things yourself when you can to avoid the ER lottery.

IP Logged

owk
CH.com Junior

Seattle, WA
Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 10:00pm

Thanks batch, Mike. I have read about the D3 regimen before,  but I had (so far) been extremely lucky. My cycles were 2 months tops, 1 hit a day max, and 240mg verapamil worked great except for the occasional sumavel aborted breakthrough hit.

One cycle ago I had to up it to 360mg verapamil, otherwise same.

Fast forward to now, I moved to Seattle and dropped the ball with finding a neurologist, since I had a stash of meds anyway. Now I have a January appointment, but meds are NOT working, even at 480mg.

The hit I got last night was the third that day, so I didn't dare use more imitrex. I figure I have been using it too much so I'm probably getting rebounds.

O2 is being delivered Monday, can't wait. I already own a 25 lpm regulator.

Thanks for listening, it helps a lot. Smiley

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 7:25am

Hey Owk,

There's really no need in waiting to start the anti-inflammatory regimen.  It's a simple regimen of vitamin D3 and the vitamin D3 cofactors costing ~ 50 cents a day...  No adverse side effects and lots of health benefits above preventing CH...

It will even make your oxygen therapy more effective with shorter abort times... until the CH stop completely...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

jordan7815
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 10:00am

owk wrote on Dec 10th, 2016 at 5:49pm:
So depressing and embarrassing. They gave me O2 at 15lpm (max it goes to) and compazine (sp?) and now, hours later, I'm pain free but in a weeeeird fog.

Hope you are all ok out there.

I feel the same "depressing and embarrassing". When the pain is 9 or 10, I scream and scream, and then during the day, I look completely normal and my family thinks I cried wolf. The psychological pain does build out over days and weeks. I don't wake anyone up at 3am and I suffer alone for their sake, but because I suffer alone, they don't understand why I can't just take Advil. I am not sure if anyone here has the same issue.

The fastest way for me to explain it is that I have the same pain as pregnancy contractions. You can't take Opiates, and the doctor sometimes prescribes steroids or magnesium. But when the contractions only come at night, and every night.

I have sent them youtube videos to explain, but it largely goes unopened. But I did them same thing when someone I knew had cancer -- now it is just pay back for me. In Asian culture, we just don't talk about pain, and if it mental conditions, it is all the more taboo because no one is allowed to be mentally insane. I am so grateful to have found this forum to keep me company. It really touches my heart.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!