Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Dale's Black Eye Palsy, a Cause of Cluster Headach (Read 18672 times)
lifer
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com! We make
it great!

Re: Dale's Black Eye Palsy, a Cause of Cluster Headach
Reply #50 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 10:35am

Page 3

Let's try to stay on topic.

Risk Factors
  Individuals with risk taking behavior engage in activities which put them at a greater chance of head trauma.  Any head trauma resulting in injury to the orbit floor may cause this palsy, commonly occurring during youth.  Injuries resulting from a black eye are suspect, as well as, infants dropped upside down on the front of the head.  Typically unilateral, rarely, a severe or repeated trauma may result in bilateral palsy.
  Age 40+.  With age, comes the solidifying of the skull.  This hardens and ‘roughens’ the small orbit floor path.
  Specific congenital defects, affecting this pathway, may also cause or predispose this palsy.

Internal Nasal Valve / Infraorbital
  The internal nasal valve is located just inside the nose.  In mammals the resting state of the valve is closed.  It requires a signal to dilate.  In humans, the infraorbital nerve supplies a constant background signal for dilation.  Breathing thru the nose will induce an additional signal that opens the valve further.  The diving reflex may also interrupt this nerve signal.
  Constriction of the valve also disrupts the normal nasal air flow resistance, inducing a feedback loop similar to nasal cycle palsy.

Sinus / Infraorbital
  It just has to be a sinus issue!  Well, kind of.  The Infraorbital nerve supplies the sinus.  When this part of the nerve suffers compression, the cilia and mucus cells that clear and clean the sinus are weak or paralyzed.  Furthermore, the mucus cell dysfunction limits their ability to activate the limbic system.   As insulting contamination accumulates and increases, so does infection.  This is often accompanied by nasal valve collapse and tonsil palsy.  The collapsed valve reduces the ventilation of fresh air and blocks the discharge of liquid drainage, thus increasing the chance of a sinus infection even further.  Tonsil palsy may occur, slowing infection clearing.  Once an infections is established, total recovery is difficult.  The infection, inflammation, and sinus swelling increase the nerve compression and sinus palsy.  See ‘Nasal Cycle’.

« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2017 at 4:04pm by lifer »  

IP Logged

Potter
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 11:39am

lifer wrote on Jan 17th, 2017 at 10:35am:

Page 3

Risk Factors
  Individuals with risk taking behavior engage in activities which put them at a greater chance of head trauma.  Any head trauma resulting in injury to the orbit floor may cause this palsy, commonly occurring during youth.  Injuries resulting from a black eye are suspect, as well as, infants dropped upside down on the front of the head.  Typically unilateral, rarely, a severe or repeated trauma may result in bilateral palsy.
  Age 40+.  With age, comes the solidifying of the skull.  This hardens and ‘roughens’ the small orbit floor path.
  Specific congenital defects, affecting this pathway, may also cause or predispose this palsy.

Yep and you're a perfect example.  This is drivel.

Potter

IP Logged

CDog
CH.com Veteran

Rockies
Reply #52 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 2:51pm

Quote:

Page 3

Risk Factors

Potter

Perhaps you should stop reading...

IP Logged

Potter
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 2:59pm

CDog wrote on Jan 17th, 2017 at 2:51pm:
Quote:

Page 3

Risk Factors

Potter

Perhaps you should stop reading...

I wouldn't count on it as long as the op keeps posting misinformation.

Potter
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2017 at 3:18pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

lifer
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com! We make
it great!

Reply #54 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 7:15pm

Wow!  Thanks for the link Feisty.  I am surprised to read this.  This describes how we at times have a one hour heart rate rhythm delay.  It goes on to note a lack of pulse rate variability.  I at times have chest pain during and after attacks.  Often, my pulse tends to tick about the same.
  Is this something like when I feel a sense of ‘temperature delay’?  That sounds similar.
  How do we manage our heart rate rhythm an hour in the future?

Clin Auton Res. 1993 Oct;3(5):291-8.
Imbalance of heart rate regulation in cluster headache as based on continuous 24-h recordings.
Micieli G1, Cavallini A, Bosone D, Tassorelli C, Barzizza F, Rossi F, Nappi G.
Author information
Abstract
An altered autonomic balance is considered to be a pathogenetic factor in cluster headache syndrome, although there is varying data on sympathetic and/or parasympathetic activation during attacks and/or attack-free intervals. The aim of the present study was to evaluate the day/night pattern of heart rate during the active and remission phases of cluster headache. In addition, the relationship between heart rate changes and the site of pain was investigated to determine if an autonomic imbalance was related to the lateralization of pain. Thirty-nine patients (34 with primary episodic cluster headache and five with primary chronic cluster headache and 30 healthy controls underwent 24-h Holter ECG recording. Nine cluster headache patients were monitored during both phases of the disease. The data obtained confirmed the existence of a disordered chrono-organization in cluster headache (phase-shift of approximately 1 h of heart rate rhythm during the cluster period) together with a low heart rate variability and a higher occurrence of arrhythmias in cluster headache patients with right-sided pain. Differences were also observed in the cluster headache patients when headache free, excluding the pain itself as a reason for the abnormality. The chronobiological data point out a transient rhythmic dysfunction, while heart rate variability changes, mostly related either to the phase of the disease or to the site of pain, probably reflects a central, site-related, dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system in cluster headache.

Good luck out there!  Keep up the good fight.

IP Logged

Potter
Ex Member

Reply #55 - Jan 18th, 2017 at 11:10am

Maybe take a little time and get educated.

Potter

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (213 KB | 3 )

IP Logged

Potter
Ex Member

Reply #56 - Jan 18th, 2017 at 11:20am

More.

Headaches, Cluster and Otherwise: A Brief History
Headaches are one of mankind's oldest, most richly-documented diseases. The first description of headache comes by way of the Mesopotamians, in 4,000 B.C. The Mesopotamians, who occupied what is now modern-day Iraq, attributed the disease to "Tiu", an evil spirit who attacked his victims' heads [1]. Later, in 3,000 B.C., a Sumerian poet provided the first description of the "aura" associated with migraine:

The sick eyed says not 'I am sick eyed.'
     The sick-headed (says) not, 'I am sick headed.'

The famous Greek physician Hippocrates later offered a more complete description of migraine with aura:
"Most of the time he seemed to see something shining before him like a light, usually in part of the right eye, at the end of a movement, a violent pain supervened in the right temple, then in all the head and neck... vomiting when it became possible, was able to divert the pain and render it more moderate."
For Hippocrates, migraine was the result in the change of the "four humors": blood, phlegm, black bile and yellow bile. Yellow bile in particular, an excessive build-up thereof, was what he believed triggered a headache.
     Aretaeus of Cappodocia, a Greco-Roman medical scholar writing in the first century AD, created the first recorded classification system for headaches [2]. Acute, short-lasting headaches he called "cephalalgia"; longer-lasting chronic headaches he called "cephalea"; and one-sided paroxysmal headaches he called "heterocrania". About cephalalgia sufferers (migraineurs) he wrote: "They flee the light, the darkness soothes their disease; nor can they bear readily to look upon or hear anything disagreeable; their sense of smell is vitiated. Neither does anything agreeable to smell delight them, and they also have an aversion to fetid things; the patients, moreover, are weary of life, and wish to die..."
     A later Roman physician/scholar, Cladius Galen (A.D. 131 to 201), proposed that headache was the result of waste products acting on the brain. Disturbances in other areas of the body, he claimed, lead to the release of liquids or vapors that were harmful to the brain, causing headache. (This theory persisted until World War I when experiments conducted by the Germans in which soldiers were prohibited from defecating for several weeks failed to result in headache.) Galen is also credited with coining the term  "hemicrania" to describe what is now known migraine. From hemicrania, the word became "hemicranium", then later "hemigranea", and then "migranea", "migrainea", and "migrana". The French then adapted "migrana" to "migraine" [1].
     By the Middle Ages, migraine had become recognized as a discrete medical disorder. The treatments of this time were crude, involving hot irons, blood-letting, various herbal nostrums, even witchcraft [3]. However, mention of headache in literature became more common. In Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, Juliet's nurse suffers a headache, likely a migraine, on the eve of her mistress' wedding: "Lord how my head aches! What a head have I! It beats as it would fall in twenty pieces." Headache is also mentioned Othello, when the protagonist, Othello, complains to his wife, Desdemona: "I have a pain upon my forehead here."
     In 1672, English doctor Thomas Willis devised another, more modern, classification system [2]. Headaches, in his view, were divided along the following parameters: 1. within or without the skull; 2. universal or particular; 3. short, continuous, or intermittent; 4, wandering or uncertain; 5. before, behind, or the side; and 6. occasional or habitual [4]. By this time, the condition of migraine had become relatively well known. Famous migraineurs include: Mary Queen of Scotland, Julius Caesar, John Calvin, George Bernard Shaw, Charles Darwin,  Thomas Jefferson, Lewis Carroll, Mark Twain, Arthur Schopenhauer, Sigmund Freud, Anne Frank, John F. Kennedy, Vincent Van Gogh, and Elvis Presley [1, 5].
     The first detailed description of cluster headaches appeared in 1641, courtesy of Dutch physician and anatomist, Nicolas Tulp [6]. Tulp described a patient who "in the beginning of summer season was afflicted with a very severe headache occurring and disappearing daily at fixed hours." The headache was said to rarely last "longer than 2 hours without any fever or generalized symptoms," and to reoccur "until the 14th day." Tulp also noted that the patient "lost a great amount of fluid from the nose." This early description would fulfill all but one of the current International Headache Society's criteria for cluster headache.
     Not until over a hundred years later, in 1745, would another Dutch physician, Gerhard van Sweiten, provide the first description of episodic cluster headache: 

A healthy, robust man of middle age was, each day, at the same hour troubled by pain above the orbit of the left eye, where the nerve leaves through the bony frontal opening; after a short time the left eye began to redden and tears to flow; then he felt as if his eye was protruding from its orbit with so much pain that he became mad. After a few hours all this evil ceased and nothing in the eye appeared at all changed. I ordered blood to be let, gave antiphlogistic purgatives, I frequently applied cupping to the neck, vesicant adhesives, etc. but all in vain. But in order to understand this miraculous illness, I went to him at the time when he knew the pain would return, and I saw all the symptoms he remembered; in the carpal pulse however I found nothing changed. The patient reminded me, whilst I sat with him, that in the medial canthus of the eye he felt a large pulsation: I applied the apex of my little finger to the artery, which goes around the medial canthus of the eye, then with the other hand explored the carpal pulse; and thus I manifestly perceived how the artery in the canthus of the eye was pulsing more rapidly, and strongly than it naturally does. I therefore believed that there was a fever, but a tropical one; and I gave Peruvian bark and with luck cured it; and from this case I later learned to use similar remedies." [7].

The 1800s saw a series of papers written about syndromes that may or may not have been cluster headache. In 1822, British physician Benjamin Hutchinson, reviewing 28 case histories of patients with Tic Douloureux (a condition similar to cluster headache), noted that in many instances, the patients' pain was described as "periodical, recurring once in 24 hours; often remaining for several hours at a time, and then suddenly departing." Hutchinson suggested that these were instead cases of "hemicrania"; later researchers speculated that he had in fact stumbled upon some of the earliest descriptions of cluster headaches, notwithstanding the scant evidence afforded them [8]. University of Berlin Professor Moritz Heinric Romberg, in his 1840 book, A Manual of Nervous Diseases of Man, described a cluster headache-like condition known as "Ciliary Neuralgia":
Painful sensations in the eye, which are generally confined to one side, and are excited or increased by rays of light and by visual efforts, are the characteristic symptoms of this affection. In the higher degrees photophobia is present; this is therefore the term generally applied to the affection. The patient avoids solar and artificial light, as the bulb of the eye becomes painful when exposed to their influence, and the eyelids contract painfully. The pupil is contracted. The pain not unfrequently [sic] extends over the head and face. The eye generally weeps and becomes red. These symptoms occur in paroxysm, of a uniform or irregular character, and isolated or combined with facial neuralgia and hemicrania." [Ibid]
     In 1878, Albert Eulenburg, Professor of Neurology at the University of Greifswold, described painful headache-like attacks that were accompanied with tearing, eye-redness, constricted pupil, and drooping eyelid--classic cluster headache autonomic symptoms. These attacks, which he called "hemicrania angioparalytica" or "neuroparalytica", lasted anywhere from a few hours to half a day, with "alternating remissions and exacerbations." The fact that they lasted so long, however, suggests something called "hemicrania continua", a close cluster headache relative [Ibid]. 
     R. Bing in 1912 wrote of a disease that included a burning sensation in the face, autonomic features, and a recurring pattern, calling it erythroprosopalgia. (Erythro (red) + prosopon (face) + algia (pain)). And in 1925, French physicians Vallery-Radot and Blamontier described a  38-year old female with severe, recurrent right-sided headache with lacrimation (tearing) and rhinorrhea (runny nose). Neither of these, however, could be conclusively deemed cluster headache due to insufficient evidence [Ibid].
     But in 1926, London neurologist Wilfred Harris did provide such a conclusive description, in fact several of them. In one account, he describes "A young man of 25, when aged 19 began to suffer from daily attacks, for three or four weeks every year, of severe pain in the back of the right eyeball and forehead, with lachrymation [sic] and reddening of the eye; this would last for an hour or two, no nausea, but voracious appetite accompanying the neuralgia. During the last two years he had had similar attacks of pain behind the left eyeball, and they would then transfer and become severe on the right side." [9]. This account is the first to meet the current International Headache Society's criteria for cluster headache, including recurrent pattern, autonomic symptoms, and pain around/behind the eye. In another account, Harris writes: "A man, age 47, had his first attack of neuralgia in January 1917, when in the trenches in front of Beaumont Hamel. The pain struck him suddenly across the left temple and forehead, and lasted for three-quarters of an hour, like an 'electric battery', while his face became flushed and he felt faint. The neuralgia recurred thrice daily, at about eight hour intervals for six weeks, and then disappeared entirely for two years...." Harris first called these cases "periodic migrainous neuralgia" and then later "ciliary neuralgia." He is now widely-regarded as providing the first full-length description of cluster headache.
     The first American physician to report on cluster headaches was Walter Dandy of Johns Hopkins. In 1931, Dandy described a 50-year old man who since the age of 17 had experienced recurrent pain-attacks in the eye and the upper jaw area. These attacks, lasting around 30 minutes each and occurring up to 6 times daily, were accompanied by drooping eyelid, facial sweating, runny nose, and slowed heart rate. Dandy himself, however, was unaware that these were cluster headache, and instead called them migraine [8].
     It was another American neurologist, Bayard Taylor Horton, who would be the first to propose a theory of pathogenesis for cluster headache. Horton attributed the disorder to a unique form of histamine sensitivity, and used histaminic desensitization therapy to treat a number of refractory patients [10]. In a 1939 paper, he writes, "Our patients were disabled by the disorder and suffered from bouts of pain from two to twenty times a week. They had found no relief from the usual methods of treatment. Their pain was so severe that several of them had to be constantly watched for fear of suicide. Most of them were willing to submit to any operation which might bring relief." [11]. It was from this paper that the disease's nickname, "Suicide Headaches", was coined. Horton called this condition alternately "erythromelalgia of the head", "histaminic cephalgia" or simply, "cephalalgia." Later researchers would call it "Horton's headache" or "Horton's Syndrome" in his honor. Along with his associates MacLean and Craig, Horton was the first to point out that attacks can be triggered by alcoholic beverages [8].
              Dr. Charles Kunkle, writing with Pfeiffer, Wilholt, and Hamrick for the North Carolina Medical Journal in 1954, was the first to use the term "cluster headaches." A few years later, Drs Friedman and Mikropoulos from the Headache Unit of the Montefiore Hospital in New York published an article in the journal Neurology called "Cluster Headaches", after which the term was accepted by the AD HOC Committee on Classification of Headache [Ibid]. Dr. Kunkle was also one of the first to point out the periodicity of cluster headaches, their tendency to occur in regular, metronomic "clusters" [6].
     Kunkle, along with Swedish neurologist Karl-Axel Ekbom, Lee Kudrow, Ninan Mathew, Ottar Sjaastad and others, are the pioneers of the early modern cluster headache research period. Ekbom was the first to employ lithium to treat the disease [12]. He was also the first to distinguish between episodic and chronic cluster headache, and the latter from chronic cluster headache unremitting from outset and chronic cluster headache that evolves from episodic [13]. Kudrow, Mathew, Sjaastad and others made similar contributions by advancing research ideas, conducting studies, and authoring papers and books [14].
     Today, thanks to the introduction of headache journals, national and international headache societies, headache symposiums, citizen advocacy and support groups, as well as advances in imaging and testing technologies, there is a deep body of headache-related knowledge to draw from. We've come a long way from the days of invoking "evil spirits" or the "four humors" to explain headache pathology. And yet, as a distinct medical condition, cluster headache remains largely misunderstood, in some cases even by neurologists themselves. As I will show in subsequent chapters, cluster headache is often misdiagnosed and mistreated. For instance, many primary physicians and neurologists are ignorant of the benefits of oxygen therapy, notwithstanding the International Headache Society's recommendation that it be used as an abortive treatment [15]. There is also enormous resistance to alternative therapies such as LSD and psilocybin, therapies that have shown unparalleled prophylactic potential. If it is true that the ultimate purpose of medical research is the alleviation or mitigation of pain, the future of cluster headache research must be one that challenges cultural and bureaucratic stigmas. It must be one that takes an "all-of-the-above" approach, looking outside of the box, embracing alternatives, resisting the imperatives of Big Pharma. It must labor not only in the service of increasing the knowledge-base of cluster headaches, but in also in raising awareness about a disease that is far too often overlooked and underappreciated. 

IP Logged

Potter
Ex Member

Reply #57 - Jan 18th, 2017 at 11:23am

More.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (213 KB | 3 )

IP Logged

lifer
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com! We make
it great!

Reply #58 - Jan 18th, 2017 at 11:42am

I am still waiting to hear your specific idea as to the cause of our headaches.

Shout out to Potter!  Thanks for keeping me at the top of the list.  It makes it a lot easier for everyone to find my information.

Druggies go elsewhere.

Thanks Linda for calling me on that.  I spoke out of line.  I apologize to the people doing good work at ClusterBusters.  I was frustrated, and wrongly lumped everyone together.
  You are right, I have no personal experience.  Their ideas sound odd to me, just as mine must to some of you.
  I feel we need to understand the cause of our headaches to treat our headaches appropriately. 

« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2017 at 9:21pm by lifer »  

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #59 - Jan 18th, 2017 at 1:23pm

"Druggies please stay at the Clusterbusters. "

O.K. that does it!!!!!!!  Angry

Clusterbusters and the people there who work tirelessly for the CH community are NOT druggies. Have you any clue to how many people that organization have helped become pain-free???  This organization is backed and supported by Physicians and senators.

I have had a good laugh or two by reading a bunch of nonsense from you, but your ignorance regarding Clusterbusters and what they do, shows me that you don't have any idea of what you're talking about.
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2017 at 1:23pm by Linda_Howell »  

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Scorpion
CH.com Junior

lemons to lemonade

KCMO
Reply #60 - Jan 18th, 2017 at 2:26pm

dauber???

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

edit:
Also to be clear, I don't agree with OP at all.
That doesn't mean that I need to choke him out.
Or troll with him either.
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2017 at 2:40pm by Scorpion »  

Life's a garden, dig it.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #61 - Jan 18th, 2017 at 6:54pm

Smiley

To quote a certain troll...."let's stay on topic"....which "it" is unable to....bwaaaaaa....anyway

There are several types of trolls....this one is an attention whor*.....if you have wasted yur time
reading "its" drivel..... you will note several times "it" admitted as much...and to quote Maya Angelou: "When someone shows you who they are...believe them...the FIRST time".

Typically these types can't get enough...and, as time goes by, tend to ramp up incoherent word
masturbation to include insults...hence: "druggies at clusterbusters". The irony here does provide
a slight bit of amusement as "it" IS a MEMBER of clusterbusters.org...having posted the same initial
horseshit there.... at the same time as here.......

If you want this bridge basement dweller to go away...STOP FEEDING "it"!!!

Smiley Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2017 at 7:24pm by jon019 »  

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

dauber
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Jan 18th, 2017 at 11:00pm

"choke OP out?" TIL cris cyborg uses a ketogenic diet and is a Kenny Chesney wannabe. "He had a lot to say, he had a lot of nothing to say , I'm gonna miss him'

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #63 - Jan 19th, 2017 at 2:51am

I want more! I enjoy reading some science fiction to pass the time of day  Smiley

Cheers Hoppy

IP Logged

Scorpion
CH.com Junior

lemons to lemonade

KCMO
Reply #64 - Jan 19th, 2017 at 4:56am

That's a cute little video... dauber

Life's a garden, dig it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!