Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Update and Seasons Greetings (Read 1896 times)
Graemel
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Taupo NZ
Update and Seasons Greetings
Dec 9th, 2021 at 6:38pm

Hi guys, I just want to thank all the people here who have supported me in one way or another over the years. I wish you all a great festive season and all the best for 2022. I am currently controlling my CH with verapamil 120mg per day plus one x 800mg ibuprofen. I now have a near normal life despite still getting shadows from time to time. Salvation for me was taking a very high dose of verapamil for a short period and then tapering down over a period. Side effects were bad but CH stopped. Doctors were unable to help me through the nightmare and it was a nightmare. I urge all sufferers to do your own research. Once again thank you all and a special thanks to Aussie Brian.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Update and Seasons Greetings
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2021 at 10:08pm

Always good to hear that a ClustMate is in control of the monster and passing on what works for you can often be a great help to another mate who's battling.

All the best for the silly season,

Brian in Oz.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Ant
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Utah
Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2022 at 12:02am

I’m kinda new here but not. My headaches have started. I’ve had them for 23 years. I haven’t had an episode for 3 years but I let my guard down. Now just trying to recover.  Sorry I just needed to say something to people who understand.

IP Logged

Ant
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Utah
Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2022 at 12:05am

I hope I can come back here. Im so lost when it. Gets this bad. My wife doesn’t know she doesn’t need to deal with my issues. Gn

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2022 at 3:04am

G'day,  Ant,  and we were all hoping the monster had lost your address forever!  Rotten luck you're getting hit again but if you want to yell, scream and curse then I promise you're in exactly the right place.

We understand.

Happily there's a bit of good news come out over the past three years since your last match with the beast.  The famous Vit D regimen has had a couple of touch-ups and people continue to report great results.

Oxygen therapy at much higher pressures has the tick of approval and 15lpm is now considered a minimum rather than a maximum.  Many CHeads are going to 25lpm and the science seems to be there to back them up. 

The ClusterMask continues be a godsend.

The various medications remain about the same.  Pred tapers, verapamil and that sort of thing,  under doctor supervision, of course. 

Red Bull still tastes awful but many guzzle it down at the first hint of a hit and reckon it helps.  The Keto diet,  of all things,  is also getting some press time.

Please let us know how you're getting on because we care,

Brian down under.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Ant
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Utah
Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2022 at 6:55pm

Thank you sir for your kind response.  I currently use 15lpm and Redbulls. I try to stay away from prescription meds if possible too many side effects.  I do use alternative herbal therapy as well but things were going so well I wasn’t taking the medicine like I should have. Plus these have hit me about 2 months early. It happens every now and then. Thank you for your support.

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2022 at 5:29am

Ant,

It really is worth looking in to the Vitamin D Regimen. It has been a life changer for quite a few of us.

You will find lots of reading in the Medications and Treatment section, under Anti-inflammatory Regimen.

Come back with questions.

Best wishes,

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Ant
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Utah
Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2022 at 2:28pm

Thank you for your response. I forgot to say I started taking  50mcg of D3 5 days ago. Hasn’t done much yet I don’t think. I will read and get back with you. Thank you again.  Smiley

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2022 at 10:33pm

G'day Ant, I know where you're coming from! Because I spent a couple of months during our Spring of 2021 here down under dealing with the beast, and also being on the vitamin D regimen for the past 10yrs, with an encounter with the beast in the Spring of 2018. I found oxygen was my best friend to abort the beast within 5-10mins, and then I took 25ml of Benadryl before going to bed which finally broke the cycle. Hope this helps.

Cheers Hoppy
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2022 at 10:49pm by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Ant
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Utah
Reply #9 - Jan 27th, 2022 at 10:41pm

Thank you for your response. Everything helps. You are all so nice and I thank you for that. You have all been through the same. People telling you it’s just a migraine or even doctors telling you to go find another thinking you just want meds. 

I appreciate you all for your support.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Ant
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Utah
Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2022 at 9:54pm

So received my cluster headache masks Tuesday. I was like a child! My headache that’d evening wasn’t too bad and I felt the mask helped. Last night I woke up with a Kip 10 no build up. Drank red bull and 1.5 tanks of O2 at 15lpm. Nothing! I finally fell asleep from exhaustion. I’m not in a good mood.  Cry

I did eat a lot of candy before bed. Could that cause the fast onset?

IP Logged

Ant
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Utah
Reply #11 - Feb 3rd, 2022 at 10:30pm

Freddy Krueger does exist….

IP Logged

MDR
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Elysburg Pa.
Reply #12 - Feb 3rd, 2022 at 11:06pm

Ant,

Oxygen never helped me when it was full blown I would just ride them out and yes Freddy does exist you are right on that one.

Mark.

IP Logged

Ant
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Utah
Reply #13 - Feb 3rd, 2022 at 11:28pm

I knew last night once I woke up, it was so bad that O2 wasn’t gonna do anything.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Ant
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Utah
Reply #14 - Feb 3rd, 2022 at 11:32pm

What r some tips on riding the bad one out when O2 is out of the question? I’ll take any tips. I try hitting myself or slamming but that just makes things worse in other ways.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #15 - Feb 3rd, 2022 at 11:40pm

Seems a million years ago now but when I got hit with the bad one and too late to do anything else I'd switch my O2 to about 4lpm and concentrate like never before on breathing in slowly,  remove mask,  breath out slowly,  repeat.

Whether the oxygen had any effect I can't say.  Perhaps the little recital was simply taking my mind off the blindingly obvious and giving me something to look forward to,  but it saw me successfully through many a monster.

It sure beat dancing naked in the street which certainly had a similar effect but tended to disturb the neighbours.

IP Logged

Ant
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Utah
Reply #16 - Feb 4th, 2022 at 12:11am

Thank you all for your help. Just preparing for my dance and hope I don’t bother the wife. Gn thanks.

IP Logged

MDR
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Elysburg Pa.
Reply #17 - Feb 4th, 2022 at 12:43am

Ant,
I would jump in the shower and do hot as I can to cold back and forth and another thing that helped was i would grab at the base of my hair and pull for a few seconds then go to a different part of my head and repeat.

Mark.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #18 - Feb 4th, 2022 at 2:53am

MDR wrote on Feb 4th, 2022 at 12:43am:
I would jump in the shower and do hot as I can to cold back and forth...

Hey,  Mark,  I swore by that little trick and still do.  I don't know whether it beats the beast or just confuses it long enough to make it let go and slither off down the plug hole where it belongs.

Got it terribly wrong one night and managed to scald my entire scalp.  Didn't even realise until I woke up next morning with my head stuck to the pillow and hair everywhere. 

I can promise it wasn't it a pretty sight,  but it worked!

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #19 - Feb 4th, 2022 at 2:59am

AussieBrian wrote on Feb 3rd, 2022 at 11:40pm:
Seems a million years ago now but when I got hit with the bad one and too late to do anything else I'd switch my O2 to about 4lpm and concentrate like never before on breathing in slowly,  remove mask,  breath out slowly,  repeat.

Whether the oxygen had any effect I can't say.  Perhaps the little recital was simply taking my mind off the blindingly obvious and giving me something to look forward to,  but it saw me successfully through many a monster.

It sure beat dancing naked in the street which certainly had a similar effect but tended to disturb the neighbours.

...have always wondered if i was the only one....this is good to hear. it took me years to come to the same conclusion.....used to get incredibly angry, agitated, adrenalized, sweaty, and loud during a hit...only made it worse. when i slowed down, eyes close, forward sitting lean, and only thought about the breathing  (opimask for sure)... at4-6 lpm... i was able to abort almost all but the worst hits or the ones i got to too late. it's almost a meditation where you take your mind "somewhere else".  actually saves O2 also. very DEEP  breaths were important.

...important to note that there are multiple breathing techniques, and it is a good to try them ALL to find YOUR bliss...i used to switch among various, even during same hit. hyperventilation is reported as most successful, but breath and hold worked almost as well for me as the slow breathing (unable to physically hyperventilate for long)...

...downing a 2 oz 5-hr energy drink on the way to the O2 tank increased effectiveness of O2 dramatically...sometimes all on its own. minimal gack taste, nunna the ridiculous amounts of sugar, fast and VERY portable...even TSA ok...

....picturing Brian running around naked may also help...perhaps you could provide a video Bri?...you know, for the sake of science!
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2022 at 3:01am by jon019 »  

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Ant
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Utah
Reply #20 - Feb 5th, 2022 at 3:38am

I have done this same thing but I felt mine was from exhaustion. I couldn’t handle the O2 at such the high level any longer so I turned it down. It did help I guess, the meditation part it hard for me.

IP Logged

Ant
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Utah
Reply #21 - Feb 9th, 2022 at 11:08pm

When the M tank shows up, but you know it probably won’t help.  Angry

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #22 - Feb 10th, 2022 at 3:06am

It's been well documented that the #1 go to in treating your  typical CH is O2 at 12-15lpm thru a non-rebreather mask, preferably an Opti-Mask.

Cheers Hoppy
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2022 at 3:15am by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!