Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 9:34pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Whats all the Kudzuuuuuuuu about??? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Whats all the Kudzuuuuuuuu about???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Whats all the Kudzuuuuuuuu about???  (Read 65691 times)
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Whats all the Kudzuuuuuuuu about???
« Reply #25 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 10:34am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Anybody tries to shoot you, Ree...they'll have to go through me first!  Angry

Yes...kudzu can help you with your migraines. My sister has ECH and migraines and my daughter has migraines. It helps both of them. My sister will take them when she first feels the onset (I don't know a lot about them...so I'm not sure what that means). My daughter takes them almost everyday, just to keep the HA from starting.  
hugs, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #26 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 12:19pm »

so I have looked at all the links.... I need the recipe... how many of these pills do you take per day.... for CH.  I will try it for Migraine and letcha know..... and it CAN be used as a preventative.... for how long.....or is it forever....?   ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #27 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 12:40pm »

It's only forever if you're chronic. I will give you feedback based only on what i know from experience and have read from other testers. MANDATORY DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor, or even a kudzu expert.  

The brands I've seen the most success with so far are Planetary Formulas Kudzu Recovery and Nature's Way Kudzu. I believe that both say you can take 6 tablets a day. Don't start that high. Dave should start paying attention to the times of day when there is the most CH activity and take his biggest dose at least 2 hours before that time. So, let's say he gets hit during the night, but shadows only in the afternoon. His best results would likely come from 1 tablet at noon and 2 at bedtime. He still has room to add 3 more tabs a day, and can adjust timing and doses as needed. He should pay attention to his BP if it's on the low side. (Kudzu has calcium channel blocking properties like verapamil) Dizziness is a common side effect at first and gas and more bowel movements are common throughout the treatment. Let us know how it's going OK? Don't forget to fill out the survey, too. hugs, nani
IP Logged

lochwren
New Board Newbie
USA 

It's a free concert from now on!

« Reply #28 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 11:56am »

Short 'n sweet:
   Started kudzu in late June (SolarRay); 2 in the morning, 2 in the evening.  This spring has been the longest lasting attack I've ever had.  After starting the Kudzu, the attacks pretty much stopped.  I've gone a day or more without taking anything, then the shadows come creeping back (albeit, mild ones) and I'll take one or two caps to kill them.  If I have a glass or two of wine at dinner or whatever, I'll need to take a quarter or a half of an Imitrex to counter the nasty that comes on an hour or two later.  The Kudzu seems to work as a preventative for me, with little or no side effects.  For me, this stuff has proven to be a life-saver.  From 1 to 2 10's a day to nothing more than occasional weak shadows-  JOY!  Hope others find it as effective as I have.
IP Logged

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." Napoleon
Lissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #29 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 7:31am »

I'm too scared to try it.  I need my imitrex.  What if it doesn't work and I'm stuck with an hour-long monster?  I would give it a try if I knew that I could still continue using imitrex.
IP Logged

Episodic cluster survivor since 1995 at age 16.
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #30 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 10:36am »

Some folks have taken Imitrex, too, Lissa. Without ill effects. It's not advised, though. The problem seems to be that when kudzu is taken within 2 hours of trex, it renders the trex ineffective. The thing about this treatment though, is that so many can completely stop their abortives, because it's a very effective prevent. At the very least, if it's working, it really brings the kip level and duration way down.  
pf wishes, nani
IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #31 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 11:07am »

on Aug 18th, 2005, 7:31am, Lissa wrote:
I'm too scared to try it.  I need my imitrex.  What if it doesn't work and I'm stuck with an hour-long monster?  I would give it a try if I knew that I could still continue using imitrex.

Lissa

I was scared too because I relied on my trex to abort.  But, you are (or at least I was) limited to no more than two trex doses in a 24 hour period.  If I used up my allotment, I was screwed for the next hit.  I went on Kudzu, and stopped the trex.  For the first 24-36 hours, I had major hits, then the Zu started to kick in.  Had to work with timing and dosage for several days, but it began to help.  Hits were MUCH milder (I could handle it without drugs - just ice and water, water, water), and MUCH shorter in duration (15 to 20 minutes versus 30 to an hour).  I did, however, get more hits in a 24 hour period than before, but most were manageable without the trex.

I'm not a doctor either, but I'm very reluctant to take a bunch of drugs if I don't have to.  I'd rather do battle the natural (?) way.  The Zu definitely helped me, but did not stop my CH.  Next cycle, I'll do the Zu again.

Sandy

IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
Lissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #32 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 12:50pm »

So if I try the kudzu and it doesn't work as well as I want it to, can I take an imitrex?  It isn't going to kill me, is it?  I would be using the kudzu in place of verapamil.  

My biggest fear is being hit bad and not having anything as an abortive.  I want to have imitrex to fall back on, you know?

P.S.  I believe I just recently started a cycle (after almost 2 years pain free)
IP Logged

Episodic cluster survivor since 1995 at age 16.
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #33 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 12:59pm »

All I can tell you is that a few have done so. I can't say it's "OK" because we really just don't know enough about it (and of course... we're not doctors or even kudzu experts). Everything we know about kudzu and CH is based on informed speculation, Floridian's research and tester experience.  
We know it's best not to take verapamil and kudzu at the same time. Also that kudzu can "replace" verap because it has the same calcium channel blocking properties. I assume you have done all your homework and read all the threads and Flo's page. If you haven't yet, please do so before you try it, OK? Let us know how things go, sweetie. pf wishes, nani
IP Logged

ckelly181
New Board Old Timer
USA 

To err is human; To forgive, canine.

Email

« Reply #34 on: Aug 27th, 2005, 8:07pm »

I'm allergic to verapimil, so it was heartening to read that kudzu is similar. I Just got back from a week-long conference where I had no access to O2. I had to rely completely on kudzu and trex (which I'm trying not to use during this cycle).

This is the BEST stuff!!! I had one break through at about a KIP7 late at night. I sat up in bed and rocked and fell asleep sitting forward, propped up by pillows. The hit didn't last very long, though.

The best thing about this drug - I can take a nap! Usually I get a rip-roaring one if I take a nap during my cycle. Occasionally, I'll wake up with some heavy shadowing, but a little time with the e-tank nips it in the bud.

This is the best stuff - thanks for the info about kudzu!

Chris

IP Logged

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
phydeaux
New Board Newbie
USA 

And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice.

268836339 268836339   nttechie   chaos+afu
Email

« Reply #35 on: Sep 10th, 2005, 3:53pm »

I was taking verapamil, and had a WONDERFUL 5 month span with very little HA at all, and those greatly shortened. I was having some rather severe edema, but was living with it as a fair trade. Then the edema led to a staph infection that put me in the hospital for 5 days, so no more verapamil.  

After getting out, my wife found this thread about the 'Zu. I've been taking two 613mg tablets (Natures Way) twice a day for about a week now, and have not yet noticed a change. How long did it take you folks before you saw a change?  

My Doc also has me taking Lithium and Ergotamine (well, actually its Migergot, which is ergotamine and caffeine) now. My understanding is that kudzu and ergotamine are similar, is there such a thing as too much? Or is my understanding way off base?

Also, this cycle I am having a lot more nausea than ever before. Has anyone had this side effect from kudzu OR ergotamine?

Thanks for watching me ramble on...
IP Logged

Necrophelia means never having to say... well, anything!
Pascal
New Board Newbie
France 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #36 on: Sep 19th, 2005, 11:07am »

HuhLooking for a recipé for the dosage of Kudzu root powder.

I'm sure I'd read somewhere on one of the links the way to prepare the kudzu root powder, but just can't seem to find it again. If someone could give me an idea of how to prepare and dose it I'd be grateful. (I was only able to find it in the root powder form from a herborist).  Thnks in advance.

IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #37 on: Sep 19th, 2005, 6:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Sep 19th, 2005, 11:07am, Pascal wrote:
HuhLooking for a recipé for the dosage of Kudzu root powder.

I'm sure I'd read somewhere on one of the links the way to prepare the kudzu root powder, but just can't seem to find it again. If someone could give me an idea of how to prepare and dose it I'd be grateful. (I was only able to find it in the root powder form from a herborist).  Thnks in advance.

Traditional Asian herbal formulas use 9 - 15 grams of kudzu root.  

One thing to consider - sometimes the 'kuzu' form of kudzu for cooking has been washed to yield only starch - the active ingredients may be gone.  But if it is whole kudzu root ground up, then it shouldn't be a problem.
IP Logged
cherylc
New Board Newbie
Canada 

4 baby girls

« Reply #38 on: Sep 21st, 2005, 8:41am »

Hi.  I just wanted to say the the Kudzu worked for me!!

Last CH episode was in January.  I stopped all meds and triptans and just used O2 as an abortive.  lt really worked well for me.  Then I was surprised with CH's at the end of August and returned to this site to check out the Kudzu info.   I had 48 hours of ch's and the o2 was working.  I had to get to the city to find some Kudzu but finally found some.  They only had Solaray, 150 mg, with 2% Daidzin, so that's what I got.  I read through the Kudzu survey and decided to take two tablets a day.  The first night I took:  2 Kudzu tablets, 2-3 mg Melatonin (Swiss with Vit B6, 8 hour timed release), 2 Calcium/Magnesium supplements (usually only take 1 per day).   I slept through the night and no h/a's!  I continued taking 2 Kudzu per day, 12 hours apart with 6 mg of Melatonin at night and 2 Cal/Mags.  I felt great except for a few minor shadows.  Then on the weekend I was at a wedding and forgot to take Melatonin at night, and didn't take the Kudzu at the regular times and was hit with 2 -k10's within 24 hrs.  But then I got back on my routine and wasn't hit with any more ch's.  

I am so grateful for this site and those that shared their Kudzu experiences.  I was able to enjoy the last week of summer holidays with my girls before they went back to school.  I was able to handle the stress of starting a new school year, new schools and was able to celebrate my daughter's birthday.  I am so grateful for the gift of the last few weeks...without Kudzu I wouldn't have been able to do so much.  I would have "coped" by taking my O2 tank with me, but thanks to the Kudzu I was actually living instead of just "coping".  

I will pick up another bottle of Kudzu and keep it handy in case another CH cycle starts, and even if it doesn't work next time (all CH meds seem to lose their effectiveness for me) I will still be grateful for the gift of the last few weeks with my family.
IP Logged
Pascal
New Board Newbie
France 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #39 on: Sep 25th, 2005, 10:26pm »

on Sep 19th, 2005, 6:04pm, floridian wrote:

Traditional Asian herbal formulas use 9 - 15 grams of kudzu root.  

One thing to consider - sometimes the 'kuzu' form of kudzu for cooking has been washed to yield only starch - the active ingredients may be gone.  But if it is whole kudzu root ground up, then it shouldn't be a problem.

IP Logged
Pascal
New Board Newbie
France 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #40 on: Sep 25th, 2005, 10:36pm »

Thanks for the info on the Kudzu preparation. Have started my 'kudzu trial run' since last Friday P.M. - rusults = a wonderful P.F. weekend without any imigran help for the first time in years. It's like being on holidays!!
IP Logged
RandyB
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #41 on: Oct 10th, 2005, 9:45pm »

Hey guys I started on Kudzu trial today. I bought Soloray cause thats what I could find I took my first two pills at 6pm tonight and got hit at 8:15pm I was expecting a 9pm. Right when I sensed the demon on my shoulder I took another pill. I know its crazy but Im freaked going into a CH on a ROOT ??? come on. Well it worked a little its hard to explain. CH started coming as normal. then BAM nothing for 5 min. then Bam back to our normally scheduled program the devil stabbing an ice pick in your eye.lol. 10 min of this then down to a kip 7 then to 6 lasting 45 min. So I think this stuff might work for me I just need to figure it out and give it time  

anyone else taking this brand? are you taking at onset of CH or just on a schedule typical of your ch's??

thanks
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #42 on: Oct 10th, 2005, 10:27pm »

Hi Randy. Welcome. Kudzu won't abort a CH. It works as a prevent. You need to pay attention to the times of day when you get the most CH activity and take kudzu at least an hour or two before then. Some folks have used the Solaray. You can take the maximum number of tablets a day and space them according to your hits. So, if you have a regular 9PM hit that's a bad one...take at least 2 tabs no later than 8PM. If you also get woken up, take 2 more at bedtime. Most notice an improvement within a few days. No one has reported an increase in activity with kudzu. It may take some time to get the details ironed out, but if it's going to work for you, you'll know soon. Pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

RandyB
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #43 on: Oct 11th, 2005, 7:18am »

Thanks for our reply. I noticed last night it was hard to get to sleep. The Kudzu seems to have an awakening effect on me. Not in a nervous way though. I was up a 2am with kip2 shadows and in and out through out the night. Strange though I havent been having shadows at night lately. Day two started today and I typically have a hit in the am so I have taken two pills this morning Ill will post tonight and let you guys know.
IP Logged
njbig
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #44 on: Dec 20th, 2005, 9:16pm »

Hi All,

New to this group. I just received my order of Kudzu Root from Nutraceutical Sciences Institute. It says to take (2) 1200mg capsules 3x/day. Is that the correct doseage for treatment of CH's?

Thanks,

Ken
IP Logged
Smartin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #45 on: Dec 28th, 2005, 4:45pm »

Last time I visited was last spring when Kudzu became all the rage.  I had been taking verap for about 18 months and missed my fall episode...well I didn't really miss it, it just didn't appear...and thought I had found a wonder drug.  Then I got a rare spring episode and started taking Zu per all of the wonderful recommendations.  Immediate relief...for about 7 days then they came back with a vengence.  During this period, I was also taking melatonin, the verap, and zomig and O2 for aborts.  The I read a post about determining the effectiveness of treatements when we're all pumping so much into ourselves.  So I stopped everything except the aborts for a week.  A hard week.  Then I went on the Melatonin, 5 mgs a night.  the HA's stopped within a couple of days.  Could have been the natural course of the cycle, but I never stopped so quickly before.  I've been alternating 2.5 and 5 mgs every other night since and have been pf.  I chose the Mela first because it seemed to have the least side affects.  (grogginess in the am especially with the 5).

I've just passed my usual fall period without a shadow.  Now hoping the spring does the same.

One other note:  My doc gave me a year script for the zomig...6 doses per month is what my insurance pays for.  I have gotten it filled several times and have amassed several months supply (always afraid that I won't have enough around if the monster shows his ugly head.) But some of them are getting ready to expire.  Anyone have any suggestions what to do with it?  I hate it to go to waste.  (This is probably an illegal question but I thought I'd ask it anyway.)
IP Logged

Great is the thing that makes a child dream
Melissa

Email

« Reply #46 on: Dec 29th, 2005, 9:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Dec 28th, 2005, 4:45pm, Smartin wrote:
One other note:  My doc gave me a year script for the zomig...6 doses per month is what my insurance pays for.  I have gotten it filled several times and have amassed several months supply (always afraid that I won't have enough around if the monster shows his ugly head.) But some of them are getting ready to expire.  Anyone have any suggestions what to do with it?  I hate it to go to waste.  (This is probably an illegal question but I thought I'd ask it anyway.)

You should not have a problem using it.  So I wouldn't worry about it, and if you are still concerned, just phone your doc and ask.  I've been given expired imitrex as a sample from my neuro, so in reality some meds last well beyond their expiration date.

Take care,
mel
IP Logged
hoeboe
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #47 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 12:58pm »

Really pissed right now!  I had gone for about 9+ months with not so much as a shadow of a CH.  Then 2 weeks ago BANG... back with a vengence.  Here I thought that maybe they had gone away for good.  

I went to the 4 health food stores in my city as well as the "Super" grocery store which has a huge "natural supplement" section and no one carries this Kudzu.  As friggin usual is my life.  Anything I want ALWAYS seems to be a task to achieve.  Anyone in Ontario, Canada know of a place that STOCKS this stuff or am I going to have to order over the net?  

Things that seem SOOOO easy always end up being so hard! Dammit I am sick of these GD HA's!!

IP Logged
carriefu
New Board Veteran
USA 

cfloram@yahoo.com   cfloram@aol.com
Email

« Reply #48 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 5:17pm »

where can i find this stuff????ill try anything
IP Logged
JJA
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #49 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 6:39pm »

There are some links to to order online from this page. http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Kudzu

If you don't want to order online, check in some local health food/herbal supplement stores.

Jesse
IP Logged

Is it illegal because it's dangerous or is it dangerous because it's illegal? Our drug laws are ruining lives.
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss