Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 10:43am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Whats all the Kudzuuuuuuuu about??? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Whats all the Kudzuuuuuuuu about???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Whats all the Kudzuuuuuuuu about???  (Read 65690 times)
ray4903
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Whats all the Kudzuuuuuuuu about???
« Reply #50 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 12:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just tried kudzu-- Starting on my first episode in over a year - back with a vengeance-- Did my usual imitrex first 2 days but it really makes me feel terrible following day.
Anyway, I tried the following - took 2 tablets of Taurine ( 500 MG) about 3 hours apart - when P.F. ( brand is 'Source Natural) and then just before going to bed took 750 MG of Kudzu recovery and went all day and all night without an attack - will try same regiment today - If this keeps working it will be a miracles - a welcome one !!
Just that I would pass along the Taurine + Kuduzu combo along..
IP Logged
Elecourt
New Board Newbie
France 

Email

« Reply #51 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 5:49am »

Hi Folks, I've never heard about your "Kudzu" stuff but as it seems to work for some of you I guess I could give it a try.  
Could you then please tell how I could get it, which dosage, if it is sold as a medicine or as a plant, how to use it ...  
Thanx for your help and best wishes for those of you that are pain free now.  
Eric  

IP Logged

Eric
ray4903
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #52 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 4:54pm »

Re Kudzu.
I bought it at place called 'Marlene's Market' Natural Foods. Don't know if they are national chain or not- I would think that most places selling health foods , vitamins, herbal remedies have it.
The brand I got was called "Planetary'. I got 60 tablets
 ( 750 MG ea) for about $10.00
I have taken 1 tablet ea day early evening  or just before bed- although yesterday I felt a CH creeping up and took another one..I have been completely pain free for 4 days now and have slept through entire night. No side effects that I can see. ( I have also been taking Tauerine twice daily as well ) - see earlier post.
Hope this helps and good luck
IP Logged
jBryan
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #53 on: Feb 3rd, 2006, 9:25pm »

I started Kudzu 4 weeks ago and have had excellent success with it so far. For the first 4 days after I started the attacks came as normal. Then from day 5 to 17 I had attacks but they were much milder than normal(this is the first time I have ever had a "mild" CH) and they were off schedule as far as time of day and came with less frequency. For the past 11 days I have been PF with just some heavy shadows that have begun to taper off too! No major side effects maybe a little dizziness the first week. I am so happy and really glad I found this site or I would not have known about the kudzu. BTW I did use the Immatrex while on kudzu with no ill effects.  

I noticed a big difference in the mg per cap of kudzu between the different brands. Why is this? If I take 4 caps / day at 150 mg does that mean I should only take one / day of the brand w/ 600 mg?

Hopes this helps someone else.

Bryan
IP Logged
gardengal
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #54 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 6:46pm »

I want to try the kuduz too but am on pred and verapamil which i hate the side affects of. i read kudzu has small side effects. my dr gave me immitrex nasal it seemed to help last night is it as good as injections? my dr seems afraid for me to give myself shots.  nasal was $196 for 6 lousy doses too.
IP Logged
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #55 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 9:34pm »

I quit all drugs nearly 3 years ago now, because they were ineffective. At no time did I EVER get more than 2 pf days in a row. Really no differnt now.  
While chronic, this week has been worse than it has been for some time. (no changes in life style ect.)  

Anyway, I found this site last week. I found a lot of comments on the herb "Kudzu", so I bought some. Since I am drug free, I really am a good test subject. I took the firs pill Tuesday afternoon, about 2:30 pm. (I took off from work because they were so bad tuesday) At 3:30 pm (almost exactly) the current headache snapped. I jerked, and my wife asked what was wrong. I looked at her and told her the monster disappeared.  
Now, understand, this headache was only an hour and half into the torture, and they ALWAYS last 3+ hours. This is a constant. Never, and I mean NEVER are they less!!
Well, the break was only 15 minutes before the monster came back, but what a shock.  
Since then I get my usual, 4 AM, 10AM and 3PM and 7PM killers, BUT, in the last 2 days, the pressure behind my eye, and the burning in my tell me it is going to kip 9 or 10, and I prepare, and it doesn't go beyond kip 6.  
Today has been a long one because I have only had 2 breaks from the monster, but I have not gone over 6 again today. The pressure behind my eye right now says I should be trying to crush my own skull, but I can actually sit here and tell you about this.
While this is only the 3rd day on this, I am staring at the bottle of Kudzu in wide-eyed wonder, as this could, I hope be part of my salvation. I dont believe for a second that it will stop them all, and I also know that I need to get some O2 as a second defense.  
I understand there are issues with Kudzu and things like Verapamil, BUT, if you can, you might want to look at this.  

Wishing you ALL PAIN FREE DAYS and NIGHTS

Dragnlance
IP Logged

shakay
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #56 on: Feb 11th, 2006, 11:49am »

My husband was switched to Verapamil yesterday. Can he take the Kudzu with Verapamil??
IP Logged
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #57 on: Feb 11th, 2006, 8:15pm »

It is my understanding that Kudzu cancels out the effects of verapamil. That being the case, it is not recommended that you take both. Take one  or the other

Dragn
IP Logged

IpityU
New Board Newbie
USA 

Matt. 26:39

Email

« Reply #58 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 4:46pm »

anyone know what the max is for Kudzu? I can only find Solaray Kudzu Extract 150mg. My hubby needs something today! Bottle states 1-2 as a dietary supplement per day. But I am reading others taking higher doses here. He is usually hit at about 8 or 9 pm for the first hit. But notices when he workd out playing basketball they come on after about 30 minutes or so. He plans to play tonight.YIKES! So would you recommend 1 an hour before ball, and another an hour or two before expected first hit?  Is the Solaray Extract different than the Natures Way formula other than mg's per pill?
I understand this may not work out right away. perhaps taking a couple days to kick in, but he really needs to start soemthing before his next follow-up. he is a beginner CH sufferer (4weeks so far)
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #59 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 7:33pm »

I assume you've read all the info and made sure there are no meds interactions you have to be concerned about  Smiley   ...

Most testers took between 3500 and 4500 mgs of kudzu a day. The Solar Way brand has the fewest mgs per dose. Natures way is 6 - 613 mgs a day and Planetary formulas is 6 - 750 mgs a day. pain free wishes to your home, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
IpityU
New Board Newbie
USA 

Matt. 26:39

Email

« Reply #60 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 8:08pm »

thanks nani,  
jim is on no meds at all. I have read up on the Kuduz and definately want to try it first.(he too). Is there a problem switching from one brand to another? He does not see a dr. for a follow up till friday, which seems like eternity to me, though he is a trooper and handling all this much better than me!
I read almost ALL the stats on the Kuduz quiz. I would have preferred to get the Natures Way but the only store in town had just Solarway. I also have read all links pertaining to Kuduz. We have to give it a try.
Lizah
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #61 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 8:12pm »

Switching brands shouldn't cause any problems.  
He should take his biggest dose about 2 hours before his biggest hit. The key to it is in the timing. I'm sending pf wishes and vibes.  Smiley
The other brands are available online, and they're pretty inexpensive.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
jdd
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #62 on: Mar 18th, 2006, 1:37pm »

Hi everyone, I just completed filling out the kudzu survey.  I am another success story for kudzu.

I first heard about the benefits of this root from reading these boards last year.  I was not in cycle at the time, but wanted to get all the information I could to prepare myself for the next visit.  The success that many had in managing their cycle gave me the confidence to put some hope into this thing.  I bought the Nature's Way brand from vitacost (inexpensive but the S&H charges were high).  Fortunately I have not had to test the zu for about a year.  

But recently I had warnings that the cycle was about to begin.  It could not have been at a worse time as I will soon begin a new job.  Talk about bad first impressions ... I could just see it now, on my first day I'll get hit and have to go home because of a "headache".  Anyway, I am on the zu now and it appears to be working.  It's been 2 weeks since my first hit, but I've been relatively pain free since I started taking zu.  I've also been fortunate in that I only take 3 capsules a day (the recommended dosage is 6 per day), and it seems to be effective.  I am cautiously optimistic that I finally found something to manage this unbearable pain that we all go through.

I want to thank everyone on this board, but especially floridian (who is doing a lot of research) and nani who posts here quite frequently.  I have found your posts very helpful.  

I hope everyone finds relief with kudzu (or anything else).  Good luck everyone.
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2006, 4:52pm by jdd » IP Logged
ray4903
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #63 on: Mar 21st, 2006, 6:31pm »

In my ninth week of episode-- oh what fun.. anyway- I found out about Kudzu on this board and started taking it on the second week and it did seem to work in terms of mildly aborting daytime attacks altho not the dreaded night ones. After 2 weeks - it seemed that afetr taking Kudzu- I got  a CH within 15 mins- nit just  arebounder - a full fledge 8-10.. I stopped taking it and now just the ole reliable imitrex injects at 2-3 ml out of the vial ea time.
Question I ahve - has anyone experienced thsi effect of Kudzu-- it is really ahrd to say it began 'causing' CH as who knows and I would not want to discourage anyone who thsis is working for as any cure is a total Godsend for anyone who can find anything / anyway to stop these things. This is the longest epidosde I avae had in 10 yearts ( ususually by week 8 they end) and it;s killing me..
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #64 on: Mar 24th, 2006, 9:34am »

Just a little informal analysis on the different brands that people have reported on the survey. Postive responses mean that the tester indicated that they felt they had an 8 or better result after the first week. Moderate means 6-7 result for first week. Poor means below 6.

Positive % Moder. %   Poor    %     Resp Total
Solaray    7 70% 2 20% 1 10% 10
Natures Way 17 57% 6 20% 7 23% 30
Planetry Fml   4 50% 3 38% 1 13% 8
Other    4 40% 4 40% 2 20% 10

I wanted to look at it as I ended changing brands from Natures Way this cycle (due to local availability) and my results are different than past three cycles.

Just info and I may be off just a little as I was making hand noted from each of the surveys.

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
neetnut
New Board Newbie

neetnut
Email

« Reply #65 on: Mar 26th, 2006, 11:55am »

Read all the post on Kudzu and I just started taking it today. Have been in cluster cycle for the last few days, hoping this works. Keeping my fingers crossed that in the next 24 hours I will be rid of these stupid things.

Anita
IP Logged
adamk827
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #66 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:42pm »

Hi all:

Thank god it has been 3 years since I was last here.  After reading everyone’s posts I have to admit, I feel lucky that I only  suffer from this hell every 3-4 years or so.  This is my 4th cycle since 1995.  

Unfortunately as a heart patient, I am unable to take Imitrix (a drug which worked great during my 2nd cycle).

I started getting shadows last Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.  Bought the Kudzu on Friday in the midst of a Kip 6-7.  Since then I have been utilizing the following Kudzu infused herbal cocktail that has been pretty successful so far:

2 (615mg) Natures Way Kudzu 3 times a day.
1 (325 mg) Feverfew with the morning Kudzu
1 or 2 (500 mg) Taurine when I start to feel shadows
2 (5 mg) melatonin at bedtime.
1 (400 mg) magnisium 2 times a day

I have also ordered Sinus Buster, anyone out there have any luck with this product?

Adam
IP Logged
Garys_Girl
New Board Veteran
USA 

Kill the Beast!

« Reply #67 on: Apr 5th, 2006, 1:40pm »

It only took two hours (  Roll Eyes ) , but we finally found a place that carries Planetary Herbals Kudzu Recovery.  Gary took one (750mg) pill at about 1:30.  And.... not having been diagnosed with CH, he's on no other medications.  Here's hoping!
IP Logged

"It's comin' like a freight train - can't you hear it?" - Gary
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #68 on: Apr 5th, 2006, 9:48pm »

I took Nature's Way.     You really need to take the recommended dose (in my opinion) in order to get the real success from it.   Nature's Way dosage was 2 capsules, 3 times a day.

For me, once it got in my system....it was like a true miracle.    I never missed a dose....and I didn't stop taking it till December.   The reason I quit taking it was just to see if the CH would beat me to death.. Undecided    As soon as I got my 02, I tapered the Zu....and have taken nothing at all for my CH except 02.

Sometimes the first few days or couple weeks might get a bit shaky....but stick with it, and things will improve.

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #69 on: Apr 5th, 2006, 9:58pm »

Oops.....one thing I forgot..

Take the Kudzu at the same time every day.   It seems to make a difference if you don't.

I took it at 11am...3p.m....and 8p.m.    This schedule seemed to work well for me.

BTW....Laurie,

You can order the Kudzu online....it's alot cheaper than going to a vitamin store.   I ordered from IHERB....and paid $6.56 for it.   I bought like 8 bottles at a time and got free shipping.   From order to delivery was about 4 days.

Jean

IP Logged

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

Garys_Girl
New Board Veteran
USA 

Kill the Beast!

« Reply #70 on: Apr 6th, 2006, 11:28am »

Thanks Jean!

If it seems to be working, we'll order it online.  It's just as soon as he read through the surveys and this thread himself, he didn't want to wait for delivery.  His CH episodes have basically all been what he calls Kip 9.  Some of them have sure seemed like 10s to me, because I've sure wanted to call an ambulance for him.  He really has an incredibly high ability to tolerate pain, so I truly believe that wherever he ranks it, compared to other normal human beings it ought to be notched up a bit.  

So... after day one.  

Note 1:   He's taking more than the recommended dose of Kudzu recovery because it doesn't have any breakdown of how much of what is in it, and it has a LOT of other ingredients.  Kudzu root is the main one, but there's no way to know how much of the 750mg is actually the root.  

Note 2:  The past few days, he's been having about four episodes a day.  He wakes up with shadows, has pain of 2 or 3 all day.  Has an episode around 1:00 - 2:00, then another one around 4:00 - 5:00, a 3rd around 9:00 - 10:00, and then one around 1:30am - 2:30am.

So.... day one.  He took his first pill at 1:30pm when we bought it.  Was still having pain shadows.  

At 3:50pm he had an episode.  It was a Kip9 (he says he'll only have one Kip 10, and that'll be his last one.  Ugh).  It was mid-length for him - peaked after about 40 minutes.  He tried 02, but he never takes enough at a high enough rate or long enough because of his fear of running out (I know, makes no sense, but whatever).  He thrashed around for quite a while before agreeing to have coffee, which often works.  I fed him the equivalent of 4 cups of espresso, and that seemed to abort it.

4:30pm took 2nd Kudzu recovery.

8:30pm Took TurmericForce pill with dinner.  Drank lots of water after that.

9:30pm  Took two Kudzu recovery pills.

10:15 Took 1 5mg Melatonin pill.

He actually fell asleep around 10:30pm.  Slept fitfully until 11:30pm when CH episode began.

Now - this is the interesting part.  It took about 20 minutes for the HA to peak, which is pretty short for him.  He was clearly not in as much pain as normal.  Afterwards he said it was about a 6 if the afternoon's was a 9.  It took longer to scale down, and he did try (again, not enough) 02.  But he used nothing else but a cold cloth on his face.  He was "in relief" by 12:20am, but still had shadows.  

He fell asleep a little before 1:30am.  He says he slept staight thru to about 5:30am.

He is in a GREAT mood today!  Not only did he get four hours of straight sleep (first in a LONG time), but he never got that 2nd mid-am episode.  AND he woke up without shadows.

So he took 1 Kudzu recovery at 8:30am.  He'll take his second at 1:30pm, like yesterday.  I'll have him skip the 4:30, and then take two at 9:00pm again.   I don't know about this TurmericForce stuff.  But I'll definitely have him take the Melatonin again.  

One day at a time.  One day at a time.  I HATE getting my expectations up, but I have to say - I'm kind of excited!  

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
New Board Veteran
USA 

Kill the Beast!

« Reply #71 on: Apr 6th, 2006, 11:31am »

Oops - forgot to point out even though it's pretty clear in that first post - he only had two episodes yesterday.  That 4:00 was pretty much on schedule, but he didn't have an evening and then a mid-am episodes, he just had one inbetween, and milder than usual.   Grin
IP Logged

TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #72 on: Apr 7th, 2006, 12:38am »

You're doing a great job, Laurie.

Nothing is foolproof....the CH will break thru, but Gary needs to be patient...give the Kudzu enough time to get in his system.

He'll still get hit...and he'll still have the shadows...but all in all, hopefully this will give him a bit of painfree time.

I took it for 10 months...never missed a dose....never left home without it.

Happy to hear that he slept a bit more last night.   That's great!!    

Good luck...keep in touch...let us know how you 2 are doing.

Jean
IP Logged

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

Garys_Girl
New Board Veteran
USA 

Kill the Beast!

« Reply #73 on: Apr 7th, 2006, 11:39am »

I almost don't want to say this because I'm afraid to jinx it... so... with a "knock wood," I'm going to say - it really looks like the Kudzu Recovery is working.  

Gary had shadows all day yesterday, but like K1/K2, so he was very happy.  He did have a very short attack while at the medical supply store.  Don't know where it would have gone, but he said it was only like 5 minutes (because they put him on liquid oxygen and the attack aborted immediately) and a K3.

He did take a nap after the market closed yesterday (we're analysts who research and write reports on publicly traded companies for a living).  Exactly an hour into the nap he woke up into an attack.  It lasted for exactly 15 minutes and was a K4.

He took the Kudzu and Melatonin on the same schedule, though we did add calcium to the mix (he took it with the melatonin.  Also FYI we're adding magnesium in with the AM dose).  

So the GREAT news is, so far (and we're on day 3 now), the attacks are fewer, MUCH shorter, and MUCH milder.  The bummer is because he woke up into one, he was completely paranoid about falling asleep again.  He didn't sleep at all last night (to which I can attest because he kept me up too most of the night).  He had another really mild attack for about 10 minutes at 1:00am, but again, it was only K3.

He says he's still got shadows - don't seem to go away at all.  They vary between K1 and K2, and today are basically K1.  

Right now, life IS beautiful.

Thank you SO MUCH for the info, the encouragement, and the interest!
IP Logged

TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #74 on: Apr 7th, 2006, 12:30pm »

Laurie,

Naps are pretty much tabu for me.   Naps trigger my CH.

You might get him some Excedrin Migraine....it helps me with the shadows.    Sometimes the coffee or hot tea just don't seem to kick the shadow.

I have to think that the 02 will work for him.   He just needs a regulator that'll go 12-15 lpm....and of course the NON-rebreather mask.

I also took the magnesium, and C0Q10.    It's really kinda unbelievable that some of these things work for some of us.    I haven't taken a triptan for my CH since January 12, 2005.    Sometimes I think we can take too much of the triptans.   For me, I chose to get off of everything and start over.   The Kudzu was just what I needed to get a good start.   The only thing I ever took with the Kudzu was the 02.   Things got so much better with the 02, I decided to taper off the Kudzu.

My encouragement and interest stems from being a sufferer....the pain is the worst I've ever felt.    However, as bad as the pain is...we have to go on with our lives.   If we let the CH take control....then life would not be bearable.    I refuse to allow this pain to run my life and keep me from the things I love to do.

You guys hang in there...tell Gary he's done good by listening to you!  LOL  

Lots of vibes to you both....if you need anything...you know we're here.

Much love,

Jean

IP Logged

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss