Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 1:26pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 5-HT activity in Kudzu »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   5-HT activity in Kudzu
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 5-HT activity in Kudzu  (Read 32672 times)
don

Email

Re: 5-HT activity in Kudzu
« Reply #625 on: May 8th, 2005, 12:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
You can't drink on that med, or it will literally kill you.

Not likely.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #626 on: May 8th, 2005, 2:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on May 8th, 2005, 11:56am, Lizzie2 wrote:
That's why, when they give it to recovering alcoholics, they have to make sure they won't even use cough syrup with any alcohol in it.

Just HOW do they do that?
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #627 on: May 8th, 2005, 2:30pm »

on May 8th, 2005, 2:22pm, Jonny wrote:

Just HOW do they do that?

Well...like any direction/medical info/etc - there's no way to be sure people will actually listen and follow directions.  If they fear for their lives, they might be a little more apt to, but even then...the power of addiction is pretty strong biologically.

So, for one, the person has to WANT to do this treatment - if they don't want to from the start, it's not worth trying or risking the person's well being.

And in the end, there is no way to ensure that a person won't take something with alcohol...just like there's no way to be sure someone on an MAOI won't go take something that can send them into hypertensive crisis/seritonin syndrome.  

And that's why we have ER's....

Don't sign me up!

Lizzie
IP Logged

don

Email

« Reply #628 on: May 8th, 2005, 5:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
If they fear for their lives

A little over dramatic.

If someone consumes alcohol while using antabuse they will become violently ill long before they reach the blood alcohol content that would result in death.
IP Logged
clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #629 on: May 9th, 2005, 7:49am »

Sorry I've been out of it for a while.  I finished classes, and started working for a guy who does home renovations.  I basically move dirt.  I also built a flagstone patio.  But that is neither here nor there.

I have been meaning to post this for a while, but have been so freakin busy.

I have been off Kudzu for about 3 weeks now.  I decided to go off of it after I lost my Emergency Room virginity (for CH related stuff anyway).  I was sitting at home and was having difficulty breathing.  I had had the same type of difficulty periodically for the past few weeks, rather randomly, but this particular night it was especially hard to breathe, and my chest felt really tight.  I called the consultation nurse, who asked me a series of questions (like, was I choking), and then told me I need to go to the ER, either in a cab or in an ambulance.  Well, I wasn't all that worried until then.  So, I ended up walking to the ER.  The triage nurse said it was a really good thing that I came in.  This freaked me out even more.  I was in the ER and having a really hard time breathing.  I got there at 9pm, they called me into a room at midnight.  To make a long story shorter, at 4 am nobody had even walked into my room, so I left.  Still having a hard time breathing.  They did an EEG, and blood work.  But I don't know what the results were.  I figured 7 hours in the ER was enough for me, and that the next time I came to the ER i would have to be dying.

Anyway, I decided to get off of all of my meds, as I thought that something I was taking could have caused it.  I suspected Kudzu, because when I was on Verapimil I had similar, though less dramatic, effects.  So I have been off of it for about 3 weeks, and am breathing much better now.  But, the downside is that I am getting hit daily now.  Not too intense, but still crippling.  I will probably start taking it again, to experiment with the effects.  

Also, the fact that going off kudzu did not break my cycle, as it has for some other, further highlights my fear that I am changing to chronic.  I am not really worrying about it for now, but, I would be surprised at this point if my "cycle" ended.

Hope y'all are doing well.

Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Where I live: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com
PaulL
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #630 on: May 9th, 2005, 9:46am »

but this particular night it was especially hard to breathe, and my chest felt really tight.  

You better call the ER back immediately and find out what they learned.  You could have heart trouble or even have had a heart attack.

Good luck and sorry about the return of the CHs.
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #631 on: May 9th, 2005, 10:07am »

Quote:
If someone consumes alcohol while using antabuse they will become violently ill long before they reach the blood alcohol content that would result in death.
Antabuse was a joke for me.  I'd take it and stay sober for a few days but if there was a party coming up on Saturday, I'd quit taking it on Wednesday so I could party on Saturday.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #632 on: May 9th, 2005, 4:20pm »

on May 9th, 2005, 10:07am, Bob P wrote:

Antabuse was a joke for me.  I'd take it and stay sober for a few days but if there was a party coming up on Saturday, I'd quit taking it on Wednesday so I could party on Saturday.

headbanger ....LMAO Grin
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #633 on: May 9th, 2005, 4:59pm »

Yeah. Like who was I fooling!

Must be that damn addictive clusterhead personality.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #634 on: May 9th, 2005, 6:38pm »

on May 9th, 2005, 4:59pm, Bob P wrote:
Yeah. Like who was I fooling!

Must be that damn addictive clusterhead personality.

Point takin  Wink
IP Logged

- Guiseppi

ozzy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

As I Am

WWW Email

« Reply #635 on: May 10th, 2005, 9:29am »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway......

No thread highjacking please.

Back to our regularly scheduled Kudzu updates.

I reported earlier that Kudzu is keeping my allergies at bay. Well it seems that with the chest cold I had, my body was working overtime fighting off germs and allergens. The kudzu power for allergies is only borderline. I don't have full blown allergies like ALL the past years, only itchy eyes once or twice a week and sneezing now and then. Not perfect, but not bad either. Still PF.

Oh and BTW, no problem drinking once in a while. I even had red wine a couple of weeks ago. No probs.

Ozzy
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #636 on: May 10th, 2005, 9:34am »

I'm so glad you're still PF oz! I'm still 98 - 99% PF...an occasional shadow or "mini" hit. I got hit yesterday while sitting with a friend. Never got above a k4...but was quick and sharp. Best part...it was over in about 3 minutes.  Smiley
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #637 on: May 16th, 2005, 12:47pm »

Allergy season. I sneezed one of those head snapping, almost wet my pants sneeze...a big trigger for me. It triggered a 3 minute k7. Fortunately the 7 part only lasted about 45 seconds.  Smiley
IP Logged

wetdogtwo
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #638 on: May 21st, 2005, 11:21am »

I just read an article about kudzu and alcohol.  Basically, they found it effective in cutting down on binge drinking.  One of the theories is that it increases bloodflow to the brain, which may satisfy your alcohol craving more immediately.  Just a theory.  Anyhow, the study showed that kudzu ingesters averaged 1.5 fewer drinks a night than non.    Here's one of the articles on the study:

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2005/05.19/09-kudzu.html

Point is, it is not going to kill you if you take kudzu while drinking.  In fact, you're probably going to be better off.

By the way, I read (a day late) that there is anecdotal evidence that kudzu can interact with psychedelic mushrooms.  I can say as for last night, it does seem to be true.  I'm a week into my cluster and have been using mushrooms (usually as a prophylactic, but I've found it effective as an abortive in very small doses).  Last night, it aborted an oncoming poopstorm of a headache.  I also just started taking kudzu yesterday; after the mushrooms, I took my second dose of kudzu.  Two hours later, I woke up with my head banging up against a solid 8.

This morning I read on Med-Owl the following:

Anecdotal evidence suggests that kudzu can block the effects of psilocybin; one person reports that taking a normal dose of kudzu for a week completely blocked the psychological and physical effects of 1.5 grams of psilocybin mushrooms. Those interested in the Clusterbuster approach should consider the strong possibility that kudzu will interfere with that therapeutic approach.

Truth be told, I probably still would have done both had I read this.  If it said, "the following clinical studies show that your brain will explode if you take both..." that would have been different.  Still, I should have done more research before diving in.   But now I know that - for me - mushrooms won't help me as an abortive while I am on kudzu.  

So to echo what I've read on this thread - do your homework, listen to your body, know that herbal remedies can have interactions with other treatments.  My fingers are crossed for the kudzu!  Thanks to everyone for sharing their info and experiences.
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2005, 11:25am by wetdogtwo » IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #639 on: May 22nd, 2005, 11:55am »

UPDATE:
I have a new trigger. Heat. The last few days have been very hot here. Leave the car parked with the sunshade on and it's only about 140 degrees when I get back in it. Both Friday and yesterday, I got back in the car and within 5 minutes (before the A/C can cool anything) I was hit. Still relatively easy hits (not over a k4) still pretty short...Friday's was 30 minutes, yesterday's was about 20 minutes. I've had the same triggers for decades...heat was never one of them. Hmmmm.....
IP Logged

ozzy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

As I Am

WWW Email

« Reply #640 on: May 23rd, 2005, 9:54am »

And thank you WDT (WedDogTwo) for your input. It is very valuable to have information from someone that tried both therapies simultaneously.

Update. Still chugging along, but I guess I found an impossible combination (like Nani) for kudzu to counteract.

Heat+Exercise+Beer+2-minute-nap=CH  

Not a bad one Kip5 or so but CH nonetheless. Had to just wait it out.

Then again, I guess I need to try it again, and see if it happens the same way. Might have been the day only. Won't know for sure until I try it a few times.

Ozzy
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #641 on: May 29th, 2005, 11:22am »

UPDATE:

I've had about 5 bad days in a row. Mostly shadowing, but longer and harder than previously. I'm going to play with my doses and timing to see if it helps. By last night I was feeling a little discouraged, but I'm not giving up. If memory serves me right (mostly it doesn't serve me at all, LOL) this time of year was a cycle time when I was episodic. So, I'm not altogether surprised by the increase in activity. Even as a chronic, I'd have more severe "episodes". Hanging in... and I'll keep updating.
IP Logged

ozzy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

As I Am

WWW Email

« Reply #642 on: May 31st, 2005, 2:13pm »

Nani,

have you tried to "bunch up" the doses at all? Meaning, during times of day when you are most likely to get hit, take Kudzu a couple of hours before and after. Also I don't remember if you take Melatonin with it (too lazy to look it up). Finally, have you tried using things like Red Bull (for the Taurine, Caffeine  and B6) as an abortive? Sometimes that helps me get through period s of higher activity...

Ozzy

PS. Since you are taking allergy medication, it could be possible that the histamine blocking effects are making your CHs weird..who knows....
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #643 on: May 31st, 2005, 11:40pm »

Thanks, ozzy. I've also wondered about the allergy meds. I'm not taking them everyday now, just on days when they're really bad. I've adjusted the kudzu dosing a bit and had some improvement. I now take 2 kudzu at 10 AM with my other prevents, 2 more at 2 PM, and 2 at 8 PM. That seems to hold the shadows down to pretty manageable levels. I haven't had a hit in a couple of days, so that's good. I use caffeine (coffee or a Pepsi) for shadows and it works. I'm still not getting hit at night, so I don't think melatonin is neccesary. During bad "cycles", I do get hit at night and use it. I already take a B-50 complex, can I use an additional B6 to abort? I have no O2 right now, so it would be nice to have another option.
IP Logged

ozzy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

As I Am

WWW Email

« Reply #644 on: Jun 7th, 2005, 11:01am »

Nani,

Sorry it took so long to respond.

As the melatonin goes, since it, regulates the body clock, it could be beneficial for daytime hits as well. Melatonin is kinda funny. Some people do well with 3 mg (myself included) others do best with 9 mg (gave me more hits and vivid nightmares. Others prefer extended release (may help those who get hit primarily at night) Other do well on 0.3 mg. Much like every cluster med, you need to find the dose that works best for you.

As for aborting with Red Bull, I think Floridian has something in his Med-Owl page about the components and quantities. Me? For those breakthrough hits, it's just convenient to go the convenience (pun intended) store and pick a one or two cans of RedBull. As a matter of fact, my wife found out that Red Bull works for her migraines.....incredibly fast and completely!!! Hey maybe I have meegraines...LOL

Ozzy

Needless to say, I am NOT a doctor, everything I have said is solely my opinion, based on my personal research and experience

PS. The last statement was not intended for you Nani, just my CYA
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #645 on: Jun 7th, 2005, 11:17am »

Thanks, Ozzy...I'll get some Red Bull to keep around the house. ( I think I remember reading something about taurine in Red Bull on Flo's site) I was told once that melatonin can be a trigger for chronics, so I keep it at 3mg. I'm still doing pretty well, the adjustments have helped a lot. I think I'll add melatonin tonight just as an experiment.  
PF wishes to all, nani
IP Logged

javi_spain
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #646 on: Jun 13th, 2005, 5:14pm »

Hey Nani

How are you doing with the zu+melatonin combination?

You mentioned in your last post that you had made some adjustments that had helped a lot, could you please let us know what you did? upped the dose? changed the frequency of dosing?  

You also mentioned that this is the time of the year where you would usually suffer more sever attacks, I hope such time is passed soon.

PF wishes

Javier
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #647 on: Jun 13th, 2005, 5:27pm »

Kudzu field in May:

Same Kudzu field this weekend:

Click below for full size:
www.kdlltd.com/vig/kudzuJune.jpg

It's like a carpet.
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
wetdogtwo
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #648 on: Jun 13th, 2005, 7:28pm »

Vig,

So basically, while kudzu helps cluster headaches, it causes its own different kind of headache.  Yikes!
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #649 on: Jun 14th, 2005, 1:17am »

on Jun 13th, 2005, 5:14pm, javi_spain wrote:
Hey Nani

How are you doing with the zu+melatonin combination?

You mentioned in your last post that you had made some adjustments that had helped a lot, could you please let us know what you did? upped the dose? changed the frequency of dosing?  

You also mentioned that this is the time of the year where you would usually suffer more sever attacks, I hope such time is passed soon.

PF wishes

Javier

Hi Javier, I used 3 mgs of melatonin for 4 nights and didn't notice any difference in CH activity. The adjustments I made to kudzu were in timing. I am currently taking 2 kudzu tablets at 10 AM, 2 at 2 PM and 2 at 8 PM. I'm back to about 98% PF time. I am still taking verapamil (again, for blood pressure issues, not CH) and have stopped taking Neurontin altogether. So, I'm back to being VERY satisfied with this treatment.  Cheesy

~nani
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss