Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 10:40pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « My "alternate therapy"  is ready to »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   My "alternate therapy"  is ready to
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: My "alternate therapy"  is ready to  (Read 8416 times)
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

Re: My "alternate therapy"  is ready to
« Reply #50 on: Oct 24th, 2005, 8:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Grin Hope your allright. Hey dont give up so easy. That is the thing proper dosing is critical with any therapy.
Even as kids we didnt trip alone. There is a marked difference in potency of dried mushys vs fresh. The dried are more potent indeed. I hate to see you abandon a therapy that could work because of a misguided dose.
I'll take your left overs. LOL
Hope your PF. Hope I dont have these at 70 cause 46 is bad enough.
All the best
jb Wink
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Squanto
New Board Junior
USA 

Re: My "alternate therapy"  is read
« Reply #51 on: Oct 26th, 2005, 7:28am »

Here's what I posted under my thread asking about SPUTs.

Awakened at 6:30 with a KIP 4.  I've got things to do today. I didn't want to take the chance this thng would go away on it's on -as it does sometimes. After a few minutes I tried a SPUT.

A little bigger chunk thiis time. After 20 minutes pain receded. Swallowed what was left with 1/2 glass of orange juice. Now (about 2 hours later) I'm "almost" pain  free. When I stop and look for the pain it's jut barely noticable. So for practicable and comparitive purposes - it's gone. No side effects. No gastric upset.

I now have a pretty good idea how big a chunk to put under my tongue. And what to do with it. (chew and swallow with orange juice) Haven't tried (or needed) the SPUT multiple times a day suggested by Pink Floyd. We'll see.

carpe diem! (or something like that)

Gonna order some LSA today. As things change - I'll re-post.

Squanto
IP Logged
rextangle

Email

« Reply #52 on: Oct 26th, 2005, 1:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Good going Squanto, and glad to hear that you're improving.
Keep up the good work,
Rex
IP Logged
Squanto
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #53 on: Oct 29th, 2005, 5:08am »

Good News!  I've had the most pain free 48 hours I've had in well over a year!

When I got up Thursday morning I quickly ramped up from pain free to a KIP 3.  I cut a small piece (my usual size) and put in under my tongue,  played with it for about 30 minutes. By that time the pain was gone. I chewed up the residual chunck and swallowed it with orange juice. Remained pain free all day. After supper felt the start of another hit. Did another SPUT. Pain receded to just noticable. Again I chewed and swallowed what was left. Slept 6 hours. No problem.

Awakened Friday morning pain free and stayed that way all day ! ! !
Yaaay!

Drove to a neighboring town to buy a welding O2 cylinder. (I've screwed myself with the only welding supply dealer in my town) Paid $140 for a 80 cft cylinder (filled.)  I'd found a place, via eBay, where 80 cft tanks, new and empty, can be bought for about $145 with free shipping. So I figured the price was right. Came home and set up my rig. Clustermasx, 540 regulator, 2X size bag, and the welding O2.
Tested okay.  Ready for whatever comes.

Took a 90 minute nap. No pain on awakening. I'd quit the afternoon naps because of the hits I got afterward. Now I'll risk it 'cause I've got something to fight 'em with.

About bed-time (10 PM)  got a small hit. Cut a chunk and did a SPUT. Pain relieved within 20 minutes. Spit it out. Why? I dunno - just did.

Awakened a 4:30 AM Saturday with a KIP 3. Got up and turned on the O2. 15 minutes at 10 LPM.  Pain receded after about 5 minutes. Kept up theO2 for  full 15 minutes to keep the treatment standard. (Note to self: find something to do while sucking O2 - time really drags) About 45 minutes after O2 the pain has crepted back. No much - maybe KIP 2.

I reported my impressions of the Clustermasx under another topic  ("Clustermasx Review"Wink

I think I'm now officially a "believer" in the clusterbuster Rx.  
3 small hits in 48 hours is the best I've been since this damn thing started last year.
It ain't a cure. But I've gotten relief. That all I said I wanted.  
Actually, I lied - I want a cure! But I'll settle.

Unless something radical happens (good or bad.)  I'll  shut up and let this thread die.

Thanks for all your support, suggestions and good will.

Squanto (a.k.a. Gene)
IP Logged
Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #54 on: Oct 29th, 2005, 5:25am »

Hi Squanto,
Looks like you're finding the combination/amount that works best for you and don't be surprised if your PF periods start extending to longer durations. Appears you're responding very well to the treatment and glad to see the O2 is working for you. Glad to see this is happening for you.

Hope you rethink about letting the thread die.......lot of sufferers are following this thread and I'm sure your experience is providing insight to others for how they may find relief.

Here's to wishing you extended PF times!
Bob
IP Logged
rextangle

Email

« Reply #55 on: Oct 30th, 2005, 2:02pm »

Hello Gene,

This is great news! I'm glad that this is working so well for you. Keep us posted!
And I agree with what Bob (Chillrmn1) said.

DON'T LET THE THREAD DIE...  
Even if you only post once a week to say "Still PF"... you have no idea how important that is to a lot of us!!!

thumbsup

Enjoy the relief!!!!!

Rex
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2005, 2:04pm by rextangle » IP Logged
Squanto
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #56 on: Nov 12th, 2005, 7:19pm »

Some folks said I shouldn't let this thread die. Things have changed a little (details follow) so I'll sorta wrap this up and move on.

It's been 33 days since my first shroom dose and 28 days since my second dose which had decidedly unpleasant side effects.  

I'm pretty sure that over-all I'm doing better than I was before the first dose. I tried keeping a diary, but I began to feel like I was paying too much attention to the Beast. So, I let that slide. I still have nearly daily left-sided headaches (centered in the left eye) Ranging from KIP2 to KIP 4. No more KIP 5's and above. The autonomic symptoms (sweaty foreheard, droopy eyelid and nasal congestion) are rarely present now. There are some pain free (nearly) days. I appreciate those!

I've used high-flow (10+LPM) O2 via a ClusterMasx for up to 20 minutes.  Usually my pain is better, but not always gone, after 5-10 minutes on the O2. I try to stay on the O2 for at least 5 minutes after I notice a change in the pain.  It's not uncommon for the pain to recurr within an hour or two after the O2.

I done SPUTS (small piece of dried shroom under the tongue) when the  pain spikes up to a KIP 3 or 4 and I got something to do that I don't want the headache to come back in the middle of. Usually, the pain goes away within (not more than) 30 minutes of putting the piece in my mouth. The pain usually stays away until the next day or so. No trippy effects with the small piece.  

I've never had the O2 or SPUT fail to give my some relief. Not always complete relief but enough to notice and consider the treatment was worth doing.

It seems to me that now that I've getting some relief I'm impatient to get over the whole damn thing. It seems I'm just reacting to the headache(s) and none of what I've tried to date has been preventative (sp?)  

I've obtained some Hawaiin Baby Woodrose seeds and I'm going to move on to that.  I'll start another thread about that - 'cause as it happens, I've got questions.

Thanks for everyone's support, suggestions and help.

Squanto
IP Logged
rextangle

Email

« Reply #57 on: Nov 12th, 2005, 7:26pm »

Hi Gene,

And good to hear from you. I was thinking about asking you for an update, but you've beat me to it.
It looks like you've definitely made some progress and have some good tools on your side!

Since you're gonna try the LSA seeds, start with 3 of them.
I suggest that you crush them first and let them soak in water for 2 hours. I've put them in a coffee grinder before and mixed the powder with water.

Drink up and forget about the nasty and bitter taste!
It's like old pond water!

Feel free to PM me with any questions, or you can just post too.

Please continue that thread, it's always good to hear from you,

Rex
IP Logged
Squanto
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #58 on: Nov 20th, 2005, 9:54am »

Since this thread is about my experience with the shrooms:

It's of note that my AmazingNature grow kit is still sprouting almost 60 days after I started it.  Not as many as the first couple of "flushes," but two's and threes keep popping up. Nice healthy buggers.  Every few days I just squirt the cake with some water I've boiled. I've gotten my money's worth out this kit.

I've saved some of the spores (those that fell into the water that's hydrating the kit) in some sterile hypodermic syringes. Don't know what I'm going to do with them.  Just seemed a shame to let them go to waste.

Squanto
IP Logged
Squanto
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #59 on: Dec 10th, 2005, 10:38am »

Well, the facts are in - I lied. For sure I lied to myself.

After my bad trip (experience)I said I wasn't going to "dose" with the shrooms again. Ever!  

Well, I got really tired of the KIP 4's that lasted all day except when I could get some temporary relief with 100% O2.  

I tried the RC seeds route. I guess the gaelic word for the seeds I bought is, "duff."  If that means "didn't do enough" I figure that's right.  It's been 5 days since my last attempt for 20 seeds to do anything. It hasn't been a pleasant week.  

This morning I awoke with a KIP 4 and said, "Today's the day."
I weighed out 0.75 grams (zero point seven five)  of dried product, ground it up for 1/2 cup of tea and downed it. (Used Pinkyshark's receipe but didn't let it steep very long nor did I squeeze the juice out of the dregs. Threw the crud out.)

Got comfortable on the couch, turned the lights up, put a Tangerine  Dream tape( Underwater Sunlight) in the music box, and put my dog's head in my lap. Thirty minutes later I was feeling a little anxious (more like scared) that maybe 0.75 gram was too much. I was nauseated, burping and feeling the first stages of a being drunk. But I was reassured because the headache was gone. So I tried think pleasant thoughts and to relax.

Lots of visual symptoms. Nothing scary or unpleasant. I think the music and bright light really helped. (Aside: there are sections of that Tangerine Dream tape that have always conjured up memories of scuba diving. Not this time. Brought up memories of train trips I've made.) At about an hour and a half I had about 20 minutes of a strong shadow. I thought, "Oh shit, I don't want to get hit in the middle of this dose." But thankfully, the shadow faded. As did most of the stomach effects (I wonder if Beano would help the burps and nausea?) I enjoyed the rest of the trip. (a little past level 2 I'd guess)  

Another aside: There's a 4 x 4 ft painting that's been on our living room wall off and on going on 35 years. It's my wife's impressionist rendition of the California coastline as seen from La Jolla cove.  I'll never look at that image the same way again. There are things in there that my wife never knew she put there.

At 4 hours, I'm  still feeling a little "drunk"  and befuddled (more than usual) but no stomach or visual effects. Had a light breakfast (no fat) and gonna chill out the rest of the day. I'm pain free. Here's hoping I stay that way. If not, I've O2 to fall back on.

Maybe I've graduated to the clusterbusters board.
And so it goes...
Squanto
IP Logged
Flash

Email

« Reply #60 on: Dec 10th, 2005, 11:35pm »

Nice one Squanto!  Perhaps next time try just 1/2 a gram cos it sounds you got a little higher than intended.  But the good news is that you handled it.  It's normal to feel a little apprhensive just as things start to kick in.  I get that every time.  There are 6 cures for it that I know of:

1) Sex.  This works every time.

2) A herb called skullcap.  Someone else will be along shortly with info on this I'm sure.

3) Booze.  I usually have a few shots of malt whisky beforehand to make me feel invincible.  For a maintenance dose this works just great.  During an episode or whilst chronic it is of course likely to trigger an attack, but in my experience the shrooms always deal that so no problem.  However probably best  
not tempt fate at this stage...

4) Doing anythign engrossing like playing a computer game, going on an online chat room, or writing a letter.

5) Rent and watch a good movie.  One you haven't seen before.

6) Very important.  do not chug down the shroom juice in one go.  Sip it over a period of 10 mins.  No longer than 15 mins though!  This just smoothes out the onset.  It is especially important for higher doses because going from baseline to level 3 very quickly can be quite disconcerting LOL!

To get rid of gastro intestinal discomfort, then the usual advice is no make sure you do not injest the shroom flesh only the juice (which it sounds like you did) and to dose on an empty stomach.  You get used to the tummy thing after a couple of goes though.

I hope this advice helps, and I hope you get some good solid PF time.

Flash
IP Logged
Squanto
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #61 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 2:10pm »

Thanks Flash for the tips.

It's been a week since my 0.75 gm dose. The headache pain started creeping up 3 days ago. I knocked it down with one SPUT. And tried ginger powder without benefit. It's been more than 24 hours since the ginger and 3 days since the SPUT. Couldn't find any skullcap in the herbal stores I looked in locally, so I will save that for another time.

Awakened this a.m. with a KIP 4-5. Made up some tea with 0.5 gm of dried product. Made it using PinkySharkMark's receipe. As Flash suggested I stretched out drinking the tea over a 10 minute period.

Still had a little anxiety after about 30 minutes. Not as intense as the previoius dose.  Passed quickly.  Not as much burping, more yawning, and it seemed to me, more muscle twitches. At 40 minutes I was pain free. The visual effects were not as vivid as before - but still there. Not a bad experience at all.  Used different music this time (The Chieftians & The Eagles)  Confirmed the "set and setting" advice. I felt more in control this time- except when I closed my eyes I was flooded with memories (not bad ones) that hadn't crossed my mind in years and memories that if I had a list to pick from, I would never have picked to dwell on.  

The sex idea has merit. Too bad my wife was off doing volunteer work this morning. Nothing else came up. I loaded a movie in the DVD player but never started it.  I doubt that I could write letters or play games "under the influence."  The suggestion to sing out loud was LOL for me. The neighbors would think somebody was getting killed over here and my dog probably would have bite me!

The clock seemed to stop. The tracks of the music CD seemed to last forever. By 2 hours aftering starting to drink the tea all the effects, except for some "stomach awareness", seemed to have passed.  

Its now 6 hours post dose. I'd guage my experience as a solid level 2. I've got a little tension type headache now  but otherwise feel okay.

I really really would like to enter a PF period of days or even weeks. It is a lot to hope for, but I can wish can't I?

Thanks for all the support.
And so it goes...

Squanto
IP Logged
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #62 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 4:33pm »

on Dec 17th, 2005, 2:10pm, Squanto wrote:
I really really would like to enter a PF period of days or even weeks. It is a lot to hope for, but I can wish can't I?
Squanto

it's as good a time of year as any to make such wishes.

I would suggest:
1. If you haven't already, read our info on Ginger in the Mushroom FAQ (detox section). It may give you some different ideas on it's use for shadows etc.

2. Tell your wife that charity begins at home next time!!

3. I wouldn't go over this size dose. It should be more than enough or maybe even too much. I'd back off a little more next time, maybe .4g - .45g
This is a level that some of us need to acheive but in most cases, less is more.

4. Good choice on the music. Find some Chieftains with Van Morrison...very good stuff.
With the mention of the Chieftains, I searched out my favorite Irish band, the Saw Doctors, to see if they were coming to the US soon, and found out their new album is called.....The Cure Wink

Best of luck and thanks for all the great reports.
Bobw

IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
Flash

Email

« Reply #63 on: Dec 18th, 2005, 9:49am »

Squanto,

Just to recap - what type of shrooms are you using?  Also check the description matches what they actually look like.  Either:

A) You have strong shrooms.

OR

B) You are very sensitive to hallucinogenics!  Others considering this treatment should take the latter into account - this is why it is recommended for people to start with a LOW dose.

I agree with Bob, that you probably should not exceed this dose, and probably reduce it.  My recommendation would be to half it and see what happens.

Glad it all went well though.  Here's hoping you get the right result.  For many people a Level 2 dose produces the optimum busting effects.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2005, 9:49am by Flash » IP Logged
Squanto
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #64 on: Dec 20th, 2005, 7:29am »

1) The mushrooms are Stropharia cubensis, which I've read is the European name for Psilocybin cubensis.  Home grown with a "grow kit" from Amazing Nature (in the Netherlands)

2) I agree that I may be more sensitive than the average bear. My age? The shroom strain? My genetics?  My set? Sumthin' else? I dunno. Now that I'lve got the range - I'll fire for effect. I'll just factor in my personal idiosyncroniciity as I go.

The good news is after about 48 hours of headaches (up to about KIP 4) I've been pain free for about 36 hours.  I credit the last dose.

The bad news (for me) is I'm going out of the country for about 10 days.  If the headaches return, I'll have to depend on NSAIDs and nasal  
Lidocaine.  

Hope everyone has a pain free holiday. I'll chack in next year.  Smiley

Squanto
IP Logged
Squanto
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #65 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 7:41am »

Squanto's back in town.

It's been two weeks (14 days ! ) since my last 0.5 gm dose of shrooms.

I've had more pain free days in the past two weeks than in the past 16 months! (or it seems like it)  I'm still getting some minor hits but they don't last long enough nor are they severe enough to really complain about.

I've been away from home for the 2 weeks, so I didn't have O2 or SPUTS to fall back on. I took a vial of Imitrex but didn't use it. I had my nasal Lidocaine but didn't use it. Hot showers and Naprosyn eased me over the rough spots.

The trip revealed a couple of things. (Maybe I should say "journey" because in  the context of this thread   "trip" has other connotations.)

(1) I've got a friend who kept insisting that since my headaches began after I got my dog and that "undoubtedly" my headaches are the result of an allergy to dog dander.  I gave up arguing with her about it long time ago. Besides - Gus the dog is here to stay. On the trip, the first real hit a week into the trip was almost welcome. Proved to me that the dog's not to blame.
(2) the rhythm of my (and other folks) headaches are source of fascination for me.  When I get hit, I can tell the time of day without looking at a clock. It's going to be within a few minutes of 5 AM, 11 AM, 5 PM or 11 PM.  It's been like that since the first hit. The varioius meds have smeared that a lttle but the rhythm is still evident. On my recent trip we were 4 time zones away from home (actually on the Azores out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean)  The pain or silent hits were still at 5, 11, 5, or 11 o'clock local time. This strikes me as weird. My sleep pattern seemed to be stuck on "home time" but my pineal gland (?) had adjusted to local time. Daylight, sunshine, night time effects? I dunno.
(3) I don't need the headaches to be grumpy. Portuguese drivers fill that bill nicely.
(4) In my search for personal triggers I haven't been very successful. On this trip I can say without a doubt that a nap is a 100% trigger for me. Wine, chocolate, getting cold, gettng hot, cheese(s), Chinese food, the list goes on - none caused a hit. But "the nap" is my enemy.  Durn! And I deserve one ever now and then!

Since I'm not totally pain - silent hit free I'm considering another 0.5 gm dose. I'm really pleased with the progress I've made.  But, we always want "more" don't we?

Happy PF New Yeat to everyone.

Squanto
IP Logged
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #66 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 9:21am »

Squanto, Welcome back, and your results sound very encouraging.  From my own experience 18 months ago, the end of a vacation triggered an unusual summer episode for me.  Some people find that when a source of stress winds down, then that's the time to be on your toes about a new episode.  Stress might actually keep the beast away, at least for a while.  I'm really glad to hear you have been doing so well--may it continue.
Pat
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #67 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 10:38am »

"we always want "more" don't we?"
      Boy thats the truth.

Welcome home Squanto.

Glad it went well for you these past weeks. Keep the faith. Keep the dog.  Happy New Year

MJ  
IP Logged

MJ
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss