Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Violent temperature changes? (Read 11885 times)
George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Re: Violent temperature changes?
Reply #25 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 3:36am

Whatever is causing these wild fluctuations in body temperature--prescription drugs, supplements, a combination thereof, or something else altogether--it's bad.

It isn't typical of CH, and it sounds very dangerous.

It needs to be dealt with.

It doesn't matter what we say.  The only thing that matters is what you do.
Best,

George
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2008 at 3:39am by George »  

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #26 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 12:27pm

Guess which part of the brain has a key role in controlling body temperature?  If you guessed hypothalamus, you would be correct.

I have had some problems controlling body temperature in cycle - I get very prone to heat exhaustion and have gotten sudden fevers even when indoors at normal temperatures.

Could it be something he is taking?  Maybe. Could also just be the dysfunction of the hypothalamus.

IMO, Gary needs to find some type of preventive med that gets the hypothalamus closer to normal in the way it functions. 
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2008 at 12:28pm by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #27 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 2:00pm

Laurie,

If I may ask a question about something not pertaining to your original question in this thread.

Garys_Girl wrote on Aug 6th, 2008 at 6:46pm:
Yes, the drugs are addictive.  But I credit him for wanting to get off, and for continuing to seek alternatives.  

As people here who support me point out, I can stock the arsenal of information, not make the decisions.

This was said to you Aug. of '06, one year prior to his pain management.  This was your response when you started the Nov. '07 thread asking for advise on his addiction.

Quote:
I need advice and don't know where else to turn

Garys_Girl  « on: Nov 2nd, 2007, 7:39pm »

...you can only stock the arsenal - he has to chose the weapon.  Well, he chose.  And kept choosing.  And got to the end of the line.  And none of it worked.  And now the weapon owns him.  And it doesn't work.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

This was the scenario ten months ago and in this thread you mention:

Garys_Girl wrote on Aug 6th, 2008 at 5:24pm:
He is not working with a scrip happy pain management doctor.  The guy is a very reputable doc and has been rated as the best doc in this field on the state's lists of top docs numerous years in his 20+ years of practice.

While you say Gary has seen his GP and a nutritionist, I'd assume that starting before last November and continually through to the present you have brought up your inquiries about Gary's addiction to the pain managment doctor as well and he's made assessments?

The reason I ask is because in the Nov. '07 thread, you also said:

Quote:
I don't know what the future holds, but I do know we'll continue to face it together.

This is now the future from that thread.  Do you have an any assessment of the future from here?

I'll only make a comment from personal experience and consensus of others I sat with daily for many years.  Addiction don't get better.
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2008 at 2:03pm by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 2:09pm

Quit the narcotics and all the other horse feed. No wonder he's cookin with all that crap in him. Check into rehab. Get a real doc. Smiley Smiley
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #29 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 2:53pm

Listen, I know what people here think of the narcotics.  I haven't necessarily been happy with Gary's decisions, but I stand by him.  He's addicted, but he's not a junkie.  We're partners in business, we spend 24 hours a day together, and I know what he's on.  He's not as productive as he used to be, but he still works.  He's gotten his shit together enough since Dec/Jan to begin participating in life again.  He's back to work (thankfully we're able to principally telecommute), he helps around the house, he takes care of me when I'm sick, he helps care for our pets, and we still get out to see friends, and he still participates in our charity work.

There are times that wasn't the case, and I turned to this board for advice. 

But the advice to go into rehab or to leave my husband because I'm an enabler is quite useless.  I won't leave him because I love him and took a vow for better or worse, through sickness and health.  And with nothing to help him control the pain, what do you suggest he do?  THAT would be helpful, though other than trying the occipital nerve stimulation implant the Docs don't seem to have many suggestions at this point.

I haven't posted every step of what he's done and hasn't done along the way.  He's detoxed by himself twice since December, but the pain and the lack of any abortives to function drove him back.  Yes, there was shaking and vomiting - but nothing like these temperature swings.

Part of the problems Gary have faced along the way are NOT typical of cluster headaches, which is part of what is so frustrating.

I've also written before, I don't care if you think or if I am an enabler - when Gary's ready to find other ways of dealing with this, he will.  Just in case you haven't noticed, I've stopped asking for advice on how to get him to make different decisions.

I believe he was either experiencing a problem with serotonin syndrome, or his hypothalamus is just totally misfunctioning beyond the scope of cluster headaches.

You can attack me, you can attack him - whatever.  It's all just a distraction.  I'm here seeking answers, and when I have time I help support other people or answer their questions.  I did a lot of research when I first found the boards, and it's helpful to people new to the site.

I've done some research since starting this thread.  Although it isn't a large amount of valerian in the sleep supplement, of everything in the supplements he started taking, I found that that could have contributed to the problem, which would have been, again, serotonin syndrome.

Or, Monty, as you pointed out, it's the anterior hypothalamus that controls body temp, so it may have nothing at all to do with serotonin syndrome, and it's just another of Gary's "atypical" problems.

Perhaps we should consider seeing an neuroendocrinologist.  That's something we haven't pursued.

Laurie

« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2008 at 3:03pm by Garys_Girl »  

This is enough already
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 3:06pm

I am not attacking anyone. I call it like I read it. CH does not vary to the extent that narcotics work for him and no one else.
That being said, one does need something to abort the CH. Narcotics are not an abortive. Your treating a symtom, and that never works.
Of course your standing with your man. What else would you do? Kudo's for being there for him.
I would like to talk to him would that be possible?
406-535-4382
I am interested, did he detox before clusterbusting? Narcotics will block the effects. Let alone the rest of that crap. You should have him detox from all of that, with the docs help. Then bust it again.
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #31 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 3:26pm

He wasn't on narcotics when he busted.

I never said the narcotics work for him.  I said they help dull the pain enough to make him not suicidal from it.  There are certainly others - they just contact me via PM, not publicly, exactly because of what's going on in this thread.

Gary has shown no interest in participating in this board, and I doubt he'll call, but thank you for the offer.

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 3:33pm

Quote:
Gary has shown no interest in participating in this board, and I doubt he'll call, but thank you for the offer.

That is too bad indeed, all one needs to get help, is to reach out. No man is an island. Many heads are better than one.  I cannot help someone that does not help themselves.
Quote:
He wasn't on narcotics when he busted.

I suspect then he was on all the other stuff you mentioned? These would also contribute to failure. Hope none of that stuff contraindicates the other.
I hate it for ya. Shocked
thebb

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #33 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 4:27pm

Nope.  That he just started a week or two ago.

He tried busting from Sep/Oct 06 - Feb 07.  He was using kudzu, melatonin, 02 and caffeine prior to that.  Before busting, he stopped the melatonin and kudzu at the recommendation of the busters, and relied just on the caffeine and the 02.

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #34 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 5:01pm

Foolish me.  I should know...

Nov. '07
Quote:
Gary is suffering both from pain and from withdrawal as I write.  

now he's just addicted and pissed off at himself about it.

I just sit here and wait for him to either get his senses back and decide to quit the narcotics - or kill himself, whichever comes first?

He's at the point where he knows they're making him insane and not helping,

Gary got to the "I can't take it anymore" point on his own.  Thankfully, he was referring to the drugs and not life.

Gary has shed a lot of tears with me the past few days - and not just in pain from the beast.

...there is not any problems with drugs until they run out.

Quote:
He's detoxed by himself twice since December, but the pain and the lack of any abortives to function drove him back.

Quote:
Now he's on 25mcg/hour patch and 8mg dilaudid 4x/day.  This has been the mix since Jan or Feb...

Quote:
He's gotten his shit together enough since Dec/Jan to begin participating in life again.

Quote:
It's all just a distraction.  I'm here seeking answers,...

From N.A.

Quote:
We dreamed of finding a magic formula that would solve our ultimate problem - ourselves.

Garys_Girl wrote on Jul 31st, 2008 at 2:57pm:
Now that everything's arrived, here's the plan (and it includes stuff to deal with his gastro/IBS problem):

Align Probiotic by P&G

300mg Rhodiola 3x per day - morning, afternoon, evening.  I got TerraCeutics Rhodiola - it is chocolate brown.

TerraCeutics' "MegaMune" - three capsules all at night.  This amount contains:

500mg graviola extract
300mg Humic & Fulvic acid
300mg Rhodiola Rosea
250mg Agaricus extract
250mg Corolus Versicolor extract
100mg ginseng extract (80% ginenosides)
100mg Beta Glucan

Ginger Root - 1.1mg in two capsules, one taken with lunch, one taken with dinner

Solgar's Magnesium-Calcium 2:1, 1 tablets with each meal (3 tablets has 300mg calcium and 600mg magnesium)

A "stress forumula" multi-vitamin, heavy in the Bs, required 2x per day, so once at breakfast and the other with the SleepMedic.

TerraCeutics' SleepMedic, 2 capsules 1 hour before bedtime, which has:

250mg magnesium
150mg Gaba
100mg valerian root
100mg inositol
25mg Passion Flower
25mg Hops
100mg Lemon Balm
100mg L-Theanine
50mg B6
25mg 5HTP
1mg Melatonin

And 2 5mg Melatonin tablets.

We're also both taking 2 oz. of Acai juice with Blueberry and Raspberry in the morning and afternoon.

Garys_Girl wrote on Aug 7th, 2008 at 2:53pm:
Perhaps we should consider seeing an neuroendocrinologist.  That's something we haven't pursued.

Ok then, g'day.  I got distracted somewhat here by the freight train.

Saying at the bottom of your posts:

"It's comin' like a freight train - can't you hear it?" - Gary

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #35 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 6:23pm

Kevin, fortunately for me he found a better balance.

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #36 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 7:00pm

Garys_Girl wrote on Aug 7th, 2008 at 6:23pm:
he found a better balance.

Then mission accomplished for Gary.  Having the manipulative abilities to use someone else's energies to take care of the needed diversions, distractions and such for life's interface is part of the toolkit for a cozy deal. 

You type well. 

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #37 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 7:31pm

Kevin, with my 258 posts, most of them questions, some of them frustration, I hardly think you're in a position to judge.  I really don't get your point, and I'm not sure why you care if my husband is manipulating me or not, or whether he's a junkie or not.

I come here seeking advice, sharing information, and supporting other supporters.

It's great of all of you to recommend that Gary go into rehab now, and that his life will improve without the narcotics. 

Anyone have any suggestions as to what he does after that to deal with the pain?

Thanks,

Laurie

« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2008 at 7:31pm by Garys_Girl »  

This is enough already
IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #38 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 7:58pm

Garys_Girl wrote on Aug 7th, 2008 at 7:31pm:
Anyone have any suggestions as to what he does after that to deal with the pain?

Here is an isolated situation I ran across on the Supporter's Board prior to pain management that could offer hope.

Quote:
Sometimes Detoxing is the way to go

Garys_Girl   « on: Aug 25th, 2006, 1:08pm »

Well, after the terrible time both hubby and I were experiencing a (month?  few weeks?) ago, I have to say - all the advice to detox was the way to go.  I've got my hubby back.  

It helps that he seems to be coming out of cycle (knock wood).  He's still having about one hit a week with constant shadows - but the detoxing improved his health, spirits, mood and overall temperament by leaps and bounds.  

I just wanted to thank you all for the help, the support - and the suggestions!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #39 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 8:05pm

- How about that verapamil and lithium combo or some sort of cocktail like that that you said he wasn't willing to try?  Sounds like he's been down just about every other avenue. 

Laurie- I am not  mad or frustrated with these threads just confused.  but that is not your problem but mine.  As I have been reading the posts- the perception that I had was of a loving wife who is desperate to get her and her husbands life back in order and of course for her husband to not be hurting anymore.  As time goes on though and the more I read , I believe that many suggestions have been made around possibilities for the future.  While detox or whatever  may not be the answer ( who am I to say?  don't know you or your husband)  people have said try this or that next.  The response has been that Gary isn't willing to try it yet.  So Gary remains in pain.

My confusion is just this-  what can we actually do to help at this point?  Is the help you are seeking validation or a recommendation for treatment options?  If its validation - you have gotten it and will continue to get it but lets call it that so we're clear what you need as his supporter.

If its other recommendations-  I believe that vets have replied and the response remain consistant.  It doesn't seem like there is much left to offer in that area-   Clearly,  lots of painkillers tried, he's gone to lots of doctors, he's tried busting, you have him on a special diet or supplements or whatever, he's tried a dose of verap-  people have suggested trying a new doctor, getting off the painkillers, detoxing etc etc etc., a proven cocktail etc

What else is left?  ( besides subocciptal and the cocktails or verap and whatever ) 

this leads me to believe that what you are really seeking is for someone to validate the helpless feeling,    Providing more suggestions for treatment feels like kind of a set-up

I do truely hope that Gary's situation improves and I hope you get the much needed relief as well.   

Kelly

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 9:21pm

I really would like to talk to Gary. 2mg per hr. of dialodid and your a zombie.
Add the other many meds and herbs ,and you dont know come here from go sickem.
Gary's problem is all that herbal crap, and the narcotics. Hey Gary!!!!!!
Are you there??? You will take our help but not talk to us?? Whats up with that? My feelings are hurt. Shocked
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

GaWd
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|San Jose|USA||0|0|CA,California
Reply #41 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 11:06am

Wow, what a bunch of jackasses.

Anyways, I find that my bodytemp is low of normal, and I have an intolerance for anything more than moderate temperatures. I sweat like a stick pig all year long at temps aboce the low 70's.

I have had some odd temperature incidents...not nearly as extreme (high 104), but short-lasting. No asnwer for why. I assumed that I was getting a hellish flu, but was completely asymptomatic. I was most likely on no supplements at the time. I have never taken narcotics either, outside of surgery.

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 12:09pm

GaWd wrote on Aug 8th, 2008 at 11:06am:

Lips Sealed
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

sandt38
CH.com Newbie

ouch

North Carolina
Reply #43 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 1:50pm

Laurie,

Frankly I cannot help much with the pain after all is said and done, but I certainly can offer first hand advice and information with regards to his addiction. I spent over a dozen years addicted to cocaine/crack and heroin. I have been there and done that, many times. From inpatient to outpatient rehabs, 12 steps, NA, you name it. I have now been clean for 13 years.

The first thing he needs to do is find it in himself to quit. The excuses he is using with regards to pain are bullshit. I made excuses too. People around me accepted and understood just like you are doing. It IS enabling and you DO need to stop. Right now you have your head on your shoulders more then he does, and you need to put your foot down. Don't accept the excuses he is giving you. Call the cops on his dealers so he can't get them anymore. I actually quit on my own, with no rehab or 12 steps, or NA, I just made up my mind. I was able to screw my dealer out of a bunch of money and take off. If you own a business it isn't as easy as just leaving, so you will need to attack your problems head on.

He is a junkie, don't kid yourself. There are functioning junkies. I was a functioning junkie, keeping 2 jobs. Just because a drug addict can assimilate themselves into society does not mean they don't have a problem.

But it is up to us to face it head on.

If you need to talk about the issue please feel free to PM me. This is not meant as an attack on you or him, I just want to help you two to be able to open your eyes and face this particular beast head on. While I can't help much with the other beast, I know the addiction animal very well... and was successful at taming it.

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #44 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 3:03pm

Quote:
wow what a bunch of jackasses

Would you care to explain that further?  

edited because i couldn't get quote right because I am a jackass Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2008 at 3:05pm by mezza »  

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #45 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 3:31pm

Sandt38, there are no dealers to call the cops on.  He is on prescription medication under the supervision of a pain management doctor - a reputable one - and with the knowledge of his GP, and at the recommendation of his neurologist.  We are partners in business and spend 24 hours a day together.

I do disagree with the use of the description of my husband as a junkie.  He is not using the drugs recreationally.

I do believe he continues to use them to avoid dealing with the CH, and have mentioned this.  As I wrote before, I cannot make him ready. 

Kelly, perhaps subconsciously I'm looking for validation.  I don't know.   Intellectually I have enough of an IQ to understand this is the last place to find it - I have been around long enough to witness that. 

It's just many of the responses here got the hair on the back of my neck up, and I defended him.  I was merely pointing out that it's not helpful and quite pointless for everyone to keep saying he needs to get off drugs now without suggesting anything further.  I think it's great that the people of this board do not support narcotics as a method of dealing with the CH.  I have a real problem with the way most of the people here express it.

The fact of the matter is that he hasn't tried the verapamil/lithium combo, so there is that hope.  When he's ready, he'll detox again and we'll head back to the neurologist.

But I wasn't looking for anything, actually, except information about violent body temperature changes.  Other posters brought up everything else, and I got drawn in.

But I've received some helpful PMs, did some research myself as I posted here, and we'll see what the Doc has to say on Monday.

My best,

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #46 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 3:39pm

of course the best to you and gary too.  Hope you get it all sorted soon!  Smiley

kelly

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #47 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 4:23pm

Thanks Kelly! 

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

GaWd
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|San Jose|USA||0|0|CA,California
Reply #48 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 10:03pm

Quote:

Lips Sealed

An ironic bit of material to post considering the behavior of some in this thread...

Quote:
Would you care to explain that further?

Doesn't the content of many posts explain it enough? It looks like someone is asking for help and all people want to do in reaction to the questions is judge the person she is providing care to.

I have no doubt the man is a full-blown junkie, but I also have no doubt-from experience, mind you-that trashing his enabler publicly and humiliating her aren't going to get the dude clean. It seems that all people are doing in this pile-on session is beating someone up, and that's never cool. Pile-ons blow...and in this case, it likely makes things even worse for the woman.

Sorry if I offended, I just thought it was a crappy show.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #49 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 12:10am

Garys_Girl wrote on Aug 7th, 2008 at 7:31pm:
I hardly think you're in a position to judge.  I really don't get your point, and I'm not sure why you care if my husband is manipulating me or not, or whether he's a junkie or not.

Show me where I've judged, cared, or named?

Because "judge" seems like a freely used word here.

GaWd wrote on Aug 8th, 2008 at 10:03pm:
...all people want to do in reaction to the questions is judge...

Does it look something like this?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!