Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
New Very Scared Person.... (Read 18817 times)
Scott Lawrence
CH.com Junior

Full Time Fighter Since
Nov 5th 2008

Mitcham, London
New Very Scared Person....
Nov 3rd, 2008 at 7:24am

Hey,

I don't really no where to start, so I guess the beginning would be a good place..

About 4 years ago (aged 23) I started getting really bad pain on the left hand side of my head, primarily around the eye and temple, the 'attacks' would last between 2-3 hours and would then wear off leaving me exhausted. I went to the doctor who examined me and told me I was suffering from 'acute sinusitis'. As I had no idea what was wrong with me, I went along with it.

The 'sinusitis' kept coming back, near enough every 6 months, with 'attacks' 4-6 times a day for about a month or so.
I moved to London during this summer and by the end of July, it was 'sinusitis' time again, I registered at a local surgery and went along to explain I had 'acute sinusitis'  and needed medicine, it was then that the doctor told me I had no sign of sinusitis and it was probably Cluster headaches, due to the timing of the attacks and the severity of the pain.

I was referred to a Neurologist through the NHS, was given an appointment in October, needless to say this was far too long to wait.
I ended up paying out a lot of money to go private.
This 'cluster period' started around the 20th July, it is now the 3rd November....and no end in sight....
I have tried loads of 'preventatives' that do absolutely nothing, the only abortive I have found that works 75% of the time are 'Rizatriptan Melts' but I am only supposed to use these twice a day....
I am literally at the end of line, I have no idea what is happening to me, why it is happening and when it's going to stop.

I only joined here because last night was by far my worst attack, woke up at around 1am, right eye was bright red, swollen and tears were flowing down my cheek, it felt like someone was repeated stabbing behind my eye with a red hot poker, I couldn't take any meds as I had already had 3 in a 24 hour period...
It ended at 6.30am....Never have I ever felt anything like this before, I was ready to take my life.

I honestly do not know how much longer I can live with this, when I ask the Neurologist how long this cluster will last, he says he does not know...

I haven't done a full days work since this cluster began, the bills are mounting up, and I'm starting to get really stressed, which probably isn't helping...

I don't know what to do....and help or advise would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

“Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery.”
“I enjoy convalescence. It is the part that makes the illness worth while.”
Scott Lawrence 652942399  
IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Re: New Very Scared Person....
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 7:59am

Hi Scott hang in there buddy youv'e come to the right spot theres lots of info here read every thing.  I will start by asking if you have tried oxygen it helps about 70% of clusterheads in aborting an attack,  if that doesn't work get Imitrex/Imigran injections its much quicker than what your taking and if done right you can get up to six aborts a day with it(see the imitrex tips to the left).  What prevents have you tried my doctors dont know how to treat ch so you may not have got the proper meds.
   Best wishes for pf time soon,   Phil Cool

IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 8:01am

Scott,

Sorry to hear what you are going through. It sucks.  What prevents have you tried.   It takes a while to find the right cocktail of meds to keep the beast at bay.  I take 720 mg of Verapamil daily, and it works most of the time.  In terms of an abortive, Have you tried oxygen?  A life saver for a lot of folks here.  Also, imitrex injections work for most people as an abort.  You are definitely not alone.    READ all you can here.  The information you find here will help you conquer the beast.  Best of luck.

Regards,

Malcom

IP Logged

Scott Lawrence
CH.com Junior

Full Time Fighter Since
Nov 5th 2008

Mitcham, London
Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 8:19am

Thanks for replying guys,

I have been on so many preventatives I've lost count....
Verapamil did nothing at all, I can't remember the dosage but i was taking 2 'high' dose pills at night and 2 'low' dose pills in the morning
I'm now trying Amitriptyline 20mg nightly, been on it for 2 weeks and again nothing so far...
I think that Imitrex/Imigran is marketed over here as Sumatriptan, I have tried the pills and the nasal spray with no relief, the Neurologist said the injections wouldn't work seeing as the nasal spray had no effect at all.
I haven't even been offered Oxygen, but I will be bringing it up when I go to see the doc again next week, if not sooner.

It's good to hear that I'm not alone, well not good, but comforting...

The thing that really worries me is that when I have had these attacks before, the longest they lasted was 4-6 weeks max, I'm now on week 15/16, and no sign of them subsiding.....I'm just hoping they haven't turned chronic....

“Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery.”
Scott Lawrence 652942399  
IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 8:48am

Scott,

I'm a chronic and it is not the end of the world.  It just takes time to adjust and figure out what works and what doesn't.   The imitrex nasal spray never did a thing for me, but the injections stop a hit 90% of the time.   Get some samples from your neuro.  Verapamil does nothing for me until I hit the magic number of 720 mg. a day.   Keep reading.    I'm sure there is an oxygen pusher somewhere around here who will give you all the info you need.  Hang in there. 

Regards,

Malcom

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 11:03am

clusterbusters.com

Hang tough Scott your not done trying everything yet. Your neuro is wrong. Get the injections. Get 02,02,02!!! Your neuro can help there.
show him this. Keep on fightin your not alone brother.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
all the best from Montana
the bb

IP Logged

Scott Lawrence
CH.com Junior

Full Time Fighter Since
Nov 5th 2008

Mitcham, London
Reply #6 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 11:24am

Thanks for all your advise, not feeling as crappy now...

I have taken notes on everything and will be demanding that the Neuro puts me on O2 and gives me the injections, from what I have been reading both of these seem like  'first line' treatments, beats me why he hasn't put me on either beforehand, especially as I'm paying for it all privately as well....

How long do the injections take to have an effect?
I'm using Rizatriptan wafers and they can take up to 30 minutes to get the pain to stop, I also find that if I don't take them within a few minutes of getting the 'shadows' they do ditto to help.....a bit of a bugger when your being woken up at 1.30am with the beast beginning to attack...

How expensive is the O2?
I haven't done a full weeks work since being struck down in July, so money is very tight...
Are any of you from the uk? if so, is there any kind of benefit I can claim?

Your wisdom is very appreciated...

Scott Lawrence 652942399  
IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 11:40am

Oxygen is cheap but I not sure how much in London Im sure some one will have the answer for you though.  As far as Imitrex goes the pills and nasal spray are not very effective for me but the shots will abort atleast 95% of the time for me and it starts to abort in 5 minutes with almost full relief in 15 minutes.  Have you tried Lithium as a prevent?
     Phil

IP Logged

Scott Lawrence
CH.com Junior

Full Time Fighter Since
Nov 5th 2008

Mitcham, London
Reply #8 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 11:43am

I haven't tried Lithium yet, is it a good preventative?
Can it not be dangerous though?.....

Scott Lawrence 652942399  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 11:49am

Once you get the aborts down and get on a proper treatment  plan  you can get your ass back to work. Wink Both 02 and imitrex injections abort within 10 minutes. I cant believe your neuro has let this go on this way ,what a turd.
There are limeys around here but it may take some time before they see this.
OUCHUK is a group on your side of the pond have you checked them out?
Keep up the fight
thebb

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 11:55am

Here is a list of meds for ch
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

hope the link works print it off for your dr.
Phil

IP Logged

Scott Lawrence
CH.com Junior

Full Time Fighter Since
Nov 5th 2008

Mitcham, London
Reply #11 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 11:56am

I did check it out briefly, but it's a £10 to join.....£10 that I don't have right now.....
And it doesn't seem as user friendly as this, I checked out their forum and there wasn't half as many topics and info as there is on this site.

It really sucks about the Neuro....obviously I didn't realise at the time he wasn't offering me everything....and it's costing me £260 a time to see him.....I bet that's why he's kept his mouth shut......b*****d!!!!  Smiley

Scott Lawrence 652942399  
IP Logged

Scott Lawrence
CH.com Junior

Full Time Fighter Since
Nov 5th 2008

Mitcham, London
Reply #12 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 11:57am

Cheers Phil

Scott Lawrence 652942399  
IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 12:10pm

Hang in there Scott you will find some thing that helps,  call your dr. and see if he will atleast give you some o2 without having to have another appiontment.  If you read the list you will see Amitriptaline is not the best for ch I took it years ago and it did nothing, but it has helped a few.   Good luck,   Phil
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2008 at 12:11pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 12:12pm

They charge you to join!! WTF? There is a paypal button here to donate but that is optional. You just keep on fightin and we will help all we can.
Check out the tabs on the left and go to the meds board and gorge yourself on information. If you go back some pages you will find information on meds in your country. Its all there.
the bb

IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Reply #15 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 12:14pm

Welcome Scott.
Today is your lucky day, for you have found this site.  Knowledge wins over fear. 
This affliction can be managed. 

The advice you have been given is good advice. 
B$

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

Scott Lawrence
CH.com Junior

Full Time Fighter Since
Nov 5th 2008

Mitcham, London
Reply #16 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 12:27pm

Seriously guys, thanks for your help and advice today.

I honestly had no idea how today would have ended if I hadn't found this site.

It's comforting to know that your all out there.

I would offer to buy you all a drink.....but I have already found out what happens when you mix the beast with the beer.... Wink

Scott Lawrence 652942399  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 12:34pm

Quote:
I would offer to buy you all a drink.....but I have already found out what happens when you mix the beast with the beer.... 

We're big coffee fans here. Cheesy All praise goes to DJ he's the webmaster. Smiley Smiley
all the best
the bb

IP Logged

Scott Lawrence
CH.com Junior

Full Time Fighter Since
Nov 5th 2008

Mitcham, London
Reply #18 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 12:48pm

Does coffee actually help?

I drink 4-5 cups a day and still get violated by these attacks....

Scott Lawrence 652942399  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 1:01pm

It sure does Scott. But it's the caffeine. Energy drinks as well. Some will abort with drinks energy drinks and follow it with coffee. You have to get it at onset though. The coffee has to be very strong. I have aborted many a CH with just caffeine. Mix that with a little 02 and you will save lots of pain.
Smiley

IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #20 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 1:06pm

Hi Scott,

Glad to see you are getting some good infor here.  I can vouch for the oxygen. I just got hooked up with O2 and much to my surprise, got immediate relief.

I used to think caffiene was a trigger and stayed away from coffee.  After getting involved here, I drink coffee all day.  I'm not sure if it does anything but I just like coffee.

Sounds like your doc needs to be "FIRED"

Good PF Luck To Ya
                                          JPC

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 1:30pm

Strong coffee and energy drinks with 1000mg of Taurine are good Smiley

IP Logged

Scott Lawrence
CH.com Junior

Full Time Fighter Since
Nov 5th 2008

Mitcham, London
Reply #22 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 1:37pm

Looks like I better get some red bull in then....

Just one question....

I get really hot while having an attack....I mean cook from the inside out.
I'm not sure what effect coffee would have on this, as it is, I seem to have an attack at the slightest change in temperature, be it hot or cold, won't drinking a hot drink while sweating myself to death do more harm?

Scott Lawrence 652942399  
IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 1:43pm

Try iced coffee and an ice pack on your head while getting hit. Smiley 
I forgot to add red bull is great but dont drink it all day just slam one down when you feel a hit coming.
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2008 at 1:45pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Scott Lawrence
CH.com Junior

Full Time Fighter Since
Nov 5th 2008

Mitcham, London
Reply #24 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 3:04pm

I've just prepared the coffee in the fridge and ice pack in the freezer, now it's just a matter of waiting.....I'm due one at around 9pm (uk time)...not long to go and I actually feel like I might be able to fight it now...

Scott Lawrence 652942399  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!