Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
New Very Scared Person.... (Read 18814 times)
thebbz
Ex Member

Re: New Very Scared Person....
Reply #50 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 7:18pm

Dammit Scott you insist on injectable imitrex, and the 02.
It is the front line abortives for CH.
all the best
Print this out and take it with you, dont take no for an answer.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Scott Lawrence
CH.com Junior

Full Time Fighter Since
Nov 5th 2008

Mitcham, London
Reply #51 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 3:49am

I hear what your saying, and I have printed it out to take with me today along with some stuff that Helen has advised on.

I must admit, I'm feeling kinda of uneasy going in there and just demanding these medications, I'm really unsure what the reaction of the gp will be.

What if they do say no? Then what do I do? Do I refuse to leave the surgery or something?
I can't get to see my Neuro until next Thursday and I need to get something sorted, another 2 bad ones last night and the Rizatriptan did nothing again....already done my days dose as well, so god knows what awaits me later....

“Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery.”
“I enjoy convalescence. It is the part that makes the illness worth while.”
Scott Lawrence 652942399  
IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 6:23am

Scott they CANNOT refuse you sumatriptan INJECTIONS

Imigran subcutaneous injections are the ONLY LICENSED TREATMENT FOR CH IN THE UK

Tell your doctor to look up cluster headaches in his BNF. If he refuses you the injections tell him you will be contacting the PCT (Primary Care Trust) He literally cannot refuse you the only licensed treatment there is. The PCT are bound by the NHS rules to over rule him if he does.

I'm home all day - it's not a problem if you need anything (although I am going out to fireworks this evening!!)

Hope that helps
Helen

IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #53 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 9:00am

Scott Lawrence wrote on Nov 4th, 2008 at 7:20am:
Cheers guys,
Is there any way to stop the swelling around the eye and temple?
I've noticed that my right eye is now nearly always 'droopy' looking along with the corner of my mouth, almost looks like I've had a stroke or something...

Recently a friend, a migraine sufferer, loaned me essential oil for *aroma therapy*.  She said "doesn't cure but helps".  I said to myself, "yeah right....."  But it did help kinda sorta!  

It was "lavender and peppermint".  So it had a menthol-like soothing effect on the temple.  I use a Bengay type of a thing for muscle/joint aches, so I returned the essential oil because I got "something stronger".  If your sense of smell gets sensitive during the attack, those smelly things might make it worse though!

As far as Horner's syndrome.......  I don't think there's anything we can do to make it go away.  When it's real bad, I look at myself in the mirror, show it to my husband, to laugh at myself.......

Sorry you're having a rough time.  I've gone through episodes in college (no $$ for a doc or meds) with nothing but a handful of Tylenol and coffee, so I know what "perfect 10" feels like.  Hang in there.

IP Logged

darknight
CH.com Veteran

Ever danced with the devil
by the pale moonlight?

x0|Manchester|Great_Britain||0|0|
Reply #54 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 9:35am

Hi Scott,

Glad ur here and getting the help you need, Lelimey is great she helped me when i first joined as have most of the people who have offered support to you.

just to let u know i went to my GP and told him i needed 02 and the injectables, like urself i was on rizatriptan and it did nothing, i now have 02 and injectables but thanks to 02 i have never used one injection, as soon as i feel one start the 02 is jumped on and 20 mins later without probably going past a kip 2-3 im up and running again, i never want to go back to life without 02 and gearing myself up for the attack everday at the same time!!!

I hope 02 works for you and i presume Helen told you that 02 should be free from your GP.

Also here is far better than paying to go on Ouch UK, i dont know what i would of done without this site and the people on it !!

PFD and i hope you find some peace soon!!

This is My Gift My Curse!!

IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #55 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 11:27am

I spoke to Scott earlier and he was very down. His GP is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard and I'm firing up broomstick one for a quick flight down to Mitcham if needs be.

Scott - I meant everything I said earlier on. PM me your address as we discussed, if I'm not about later it's because I've gone to fireworks with the kids but will be home after 9pm and that is fine to call if it's not too late for you. Anytime up to about 11pm ish is okay. Trust me, we WILL get this sorted okay? I don't make promises I won't keep and I need a nice GP hood ornament for my car LOL

Helen

IP Logged

Scott Lawrence
CH.com Junior

Full Time Fighter Since
Nov 5th 2008

Mitcham, London
Reply #56 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 11:42am

I managed to get the injections, she gave me 2 doses?!?!
WTF am I supposed to do with that?
O2 she ruled out as apparently 'I would need to be shown how to use this, and she can't see it being of any use'
Should I have a hit, she very thoughtfully pointed out that I can call an ambulance to take me to A&E where they can give me O2....the last time I went to A&E about this just after I was diagnosed, I was told to go to the GP and ask for a codeine based painkiller.....

This woman was a total b***h, i broke down in tears in her office and she told me that there were people in the waiting room that needed her attention more I do, I asked her to call Helen, as Helen had asked me to, her reply was that she calls no-one, someone can call her if they choose, but doctors don't take advice from charities...

“Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery.”
Scott Lawrence 652942399  
IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #57 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 11:53am

I feel a spot of GP education coming on...

Scott, I've just pm'd you. I'm so mad I could spit. I WILL be coming down to see your doctor if you want me too.

Oh how I wish I had a ten second zapper right now...

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #58 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 12:42pm

Oh man effin  Smiley doctors are the same every where, keep fighting talk to Helen if you were in the states I would be making calls for you but I dont know the process over there sorry  Cry, I had a shitty dr apt yesterday myself but I have pelnty abortives.  Now enough of that the injections they gave you are they stat dose or vials either way you can get more than two aborts out of them,  if its stat dose then read the imitrex tip link to the left.  Let me know if thers any thing I can do.    Phil
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2008 at 12:43pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Scott Lawrence
CH.com Junior

Full Time Fighter Since
Nov 5th 2008

Mitcham, London
Reply #59 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 12:51pm

I've read the tip, and to be honest, having never done anything like this before, I'm going to stick to doing it normally for now and see how I get on.

I'll let you know how I get on with it later....or maybe by some miracle I'll never have another hit and never have to use it.....there's wishful thinking...

Scott Lawrence 652942399  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #60 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 1:53pm

Remain calm Scott you are really off to a good start. The trex will give you 8 to 12 hours of relief. I suggest you get some rest after injecting.
The neuro will get you the 02 for sure , we will have you prepped and ready.
Trex rocks.
the bb

I need a nice GP hood ornament for my car LOL Grin Grin Grin

Thanks Helen. I am honored to be your friend.
the bb

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #61 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 7:16pm

Quote:
there were people in the waiting room that needed her attention more I do, I asked her to call Helen, as Helen had asked me to, her reply was that she calls no-one, someone can call her if they choose, but doctors don't take advice from charities...

O.K. Now I am hopping mad.  Charities?   CHARITIES>?????????

Helen,  This poor bloke needs an advocate badly.  This Doctor needs a rectal exam with a broomstick.  OMG....this kind of stuff just makes me want to jump on a plane.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Scott Lawrence
CH.com Junior

Full Time Fighter Since
Nov 5th 2008

Mitcham, London
Reply #62 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 3:54am

I know.....the more I think about it, the madder I get.....and I have to go back there later.....

Anyways....good news....
IMIGRAN INJECTIONS WORKED!!!!!!

Had a weird day yesterday, 3 or 4 not as painful attacks, for which I just rode out due to only having to doses...usually they are much stronger during the day....
Then the beast came out at around 1.30am, I panicked a bit, being slightly groggy and never injected before.
By 1.45.....gone.....ditto.....nothing.....You should have seen my smile....quickly followed by some z's
It decided it wanted to mess with me again this morning at 8.15 (35 mins ago), this time 10 mins was all it took and the gone......
I honestly can't believe I'm on here within a few hours of having a hit, let alone within the last 40 mins....

I'm going back down the docs later to get some more doses, do you guys think I should ask about the O2 again? I'm going to see a different GP than the one I saw yesterday, I don't think I could face her again after the was she made me feel.....

Your advice, as always is appreciated.....

Scott Lawrence 652942399  
IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #63 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 4:10am

I am glad to see the injections worked, they work for most of us most of the time.  As far as apporoaching the doc I dont have much advise accept dont take NO for an answer,  I always try to be nice at first and then see how them react.  Dont go in there saying these are suicide headaches they will try to lock you in a padded room,  but make sure they give you the help you need.  The o2 I would continue to try to get,  most docs are willing to listen when you say you need o2 but they dont know how to perscribe it for a clusterhead.   Hang in there man,  did you try the Red Bull?          Phil

IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #64 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 5:11am

Heading out to the post office too LOL  Wink

I'm so glad it worked Scott, thats the start of some return of confidence for you. I'm really really happy here

Helen

PS If another doctor will listen then let me know!

IP Logged

Em
CH.com Alumnus

I wanna go...

St Peter Port, Guernsey.
Reply #65 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 5:51am

Scott,

I had EXACTLY the same thing happen to me. I went to see my usual GP who had been very kind and good in getting to the bottom of what was going on, but he wasn't available. I had another GP lecture me about o2 and how NICE had just released some guidance on using o2 for short-term relief. He was so horrible, I just cried and cried.

I went back the next day to my nice GP and he did the work for me then and there.

Don't lose hope - is there more than one GP at our surgery? If so, see someone else. Alternatively, complain to the Practice Manager. Print off the info about o2 to the left and take it with you when you go. Don't be too afraid to stand up to them - not in a confrontational way, but in a positive way.

With Helen looking after you, you'll be all good. You're welcome to PM me if there's anything I can do.

Welcome to the fold.

Em
x

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Em emily.wensink 655755088  
IP Logged

darknight
CH.com Veteran

by the pale moonlight?

Reply #66 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 7:21am

Scott,

Fing hell, my first reaction would be to tell ur GP she is a waste of space and go find another GP, print off the letters on ouch uk re oxygen as they are not allowed to refuse you them also, upon delivery they show you how to use them (not rocket science)!!!

My blood boils for you i hope you obtain a GP with a brain!!!!

PFD!!!!

IP Logged

Scott Lawrence
CH.com Junior

Full Time Fighter Since
Nov 5th 2008

Mitcham, London
Reply #67 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 9:08am

Back in from the GP....

Firstly, apparently, and I quote "O2 is only prescribed by a Neurologist, and even then only after you have had blood tests" This was told to me by another GP as the Witch had a day off.....lucky for her....wish I could..

I kinda gave up asking about the O2, I was going nowhere fast and no-one was prepared to help.

Then I said that I needed more Imigran, seeing as I had none left, the receptionist said I could fill in a form and collect the stuff on Wednesday....?!?!?!?.....Needless to say, I absolutely lost the plot (The other 15/20 people in the waiting room can vouch for this)

I may have said things I shouldn't have, and I know it doesn't help, but they really peed me off this morning...

So I ask to speak to the practise manager...who has no medical experience?!?!? She basically spits out the same stuff as the other GP, I tell her I need a prescription now, and I need enough to last until I see the Neuro, she goes away and brings back a Prescription for 2 doses......WTF?!?!

By this point suicide had completely left my mind, Murder was all that I could think of.....

Eventually after much crying and being told that I wasn't a doctor and had no right to question them, I got a prescription for 5 days, so they will last until Tuesday, but I'm going to have to go back....

On the way out, the Practise Manager kindly pointed out that there were other practises in the area, and it might be a good idea to register with one of them, I pointed out that all I want is the right meds, in the right quantities, I understand there is no cure, but I am entitled to a relatively pain free existance, which I would undoubtedly get if they would listen to me. Once again she pointed out that I had no medical experience and she was not there to argue with me....

Scott Lawrence 652942399  
IP Logged

Scott Lawrence
CH.com Junior

Full Time Fighter Since
Nov 5th 2008

Mitcham, London
Reply #68 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 9:09am

BTW, I printed off loads of stuff to take the first time round, she wouldn't even glance at it, she said that she already knows about Cluster Headaches........

Scott Lawrence 652942399  
IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #69 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 9:20am

Scott - I want to know who your local MP is and when his surgeries are. I also want to know the name and address of the GP practice and practice manager and your PCT.

I'm going to call later on to speak to you further but this farce is stopping.

Helen

IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Reply #70 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 9:32am

Scott,

I assume that you are getting the auto injections.  Over here in the US imitrex comes in vials that you draw up yourself and it is much easier to split the dose.   Ask your doc if you can get the vials.  Your docttor sounds like a real dickhead.  Hang in there.  You will eventually find one  that understands.  Best of luck.

Regards,

Malcom

IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Reply #71 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 9:37am

Go kick some ass Helen.

IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #72 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 10:00am

Scott, I understand that you're in pain and how bad things can be. I really hope you'll get a better doctor soon! You feel so helpless when the ones who could really help us just spit at our faces, speaking when they shouldn't and not prescribing what they should...

However, I also think that you should do your utmost to get the O2, even if takes a visit to a private clinic. I can very well understand your need to use the Imitrex on a daily basis, but please don't do that for long, as it will probably result in you getting in "rebound hell", by which we mean a constant background headache and more severe CH attacks more often.

Hang in there, I'm wishing you luck!

- Rosa

IP Logged

darknight
CH.com Veteran

by the pale moonlight?

Reply #73 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 10:15am

Scott, i dont kow what to say other than if you need some Northern Monkeys to come down and knock those Southern Doctor fairies till they get some sense then just ask!!!! LOL Smiley

Go Helen help Scott as much as you can, i cant believe the way he is being treated!!!!

PFD TO ALL

IP Logged

Scott Lawrence
CH.com Junior

Full Time Fighter Since
Nov 5th 2008

Mitcham, London
Reply #74 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 10:23am

Those that say humour is the best medicine ain't far wrong.....

You guys are really great, even the small messages of support manage to drag me from my depressed state.

One out of the blue for you guys, How long do your 'shadows' normally last?
I used to get them 5/10 minutes before a hit, in the place where the pain would be the worst, but since Monday-ish I'm getting them constantly, always there.....

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Amitriptyline is not doing anything at best, and maybe even increasing the frequency and severity. I want to stop taking them but the folks think I should stay on them until I see the Neuro next Thursday....any thoughts?

Scott Lawrence 652942399  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!