Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19
Send Topic Print
WHY don't we pay attention to this? (Read 133828 times)
alleyoop
CH.com Hall of Famer

Am I self-centered or
is it just me?

Hiawassee, GA USA
Re: WHY don't we pay attention to this?
Reply #125 - Jun 1st, 2009 at 6:39pm

Thanks E-Double!

How's life treating you these days? Still married? Smiley

alley

I know that the Good Lord won't put any more on you than you can stand, but sometimes I wish He weren't quite so PROUD of ME!
alleyoop_49  
IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus

Are we ourselves?

Commack,New_York
Reply #126 - Jun 1st, 2009 at 10:39pm

alleyoop wrote on Jun 1st, 2009 at 6:39pm:
Thanks E-Double!

How's life treating you these days? Still married? Smiley

alley

yuppers she decided to keep me and my kid will be 3 in a week.
so glad u r well

I can't believe that I have to bang my Head against this wall again. But the blows they have just a little more Space in-between them. Gonna take a breath and try again.
Edoubleitk Edoubleitk1  
IP Logged

godsjoy777
CH.com Veteran

HIS name is above clusters

x0|Grand Prairie, TX|USA||0|0|
Reply #127 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 1:07am

Well,  I Baaaa aaack!  Not happy about it but you all know how this beast does....

Here is what has happened to me in the last 2 years...( Trust me...It will relate eventually to this thread ).  The beast came 2 years ago and my husband and I decided to take our vacation quickly as possible, as it would be vertually IMPOSSIBLE as the cycle continued.  We live in Texas and we packed up the trunk of the car with O2 and headed for the Colorado Rocky Mts.  I was only about 3 weeks into a usual 3 month cycle.  By the time we made it up to Estes Park, the Clusters COMPLETELY dissappeared.  This was absolutlely unheard of in my 18 years of CH.  "Something" broke the cycle...scratching my head, I just thanked God and went cluster free for nearly 13 months.  Another cycle hit and a couple weeks into it we did the same thing....packed off to Estes Park, CO.  They stopped AGAIN!.  Praise God.  Some friends thought it might have something to do with essential oils up there or something.  Who knows?

Now....I have been working at a Bioidentical Hormone Treatment Dr. for a couple of years now.  We have done lots of testing and since I am 55 and though some levels would look " normal " to the untrained classic Dr....they aren't optimal...I HAVE TO STRESS THAT DR'S NOT USED TO PRESCRIBING BIOIDENTICAL HORMONES DO NOT REALLY GO FOR OPTIMAL.....THEY USUALLY THINK NORMAL IS THE USUAL FOR YOUR AGE....and of course it is "usual" for women after a certain age to die of heart attacks, strokes, and get osteoporosis ( all of which can be curbed through hormone treatment ) so I take Progesterone and a very little bit of estrogen and I get a testosterone pellet implant every 3 -4 months.  I am blessed to be able to get it free from my Dr.  I have optimal levels now and physically was feeling better than I have felt in my life.....and then...again the Beast came....unfortunately this time was right AFTER we returned from the Mts.  If the cycle doesn't break soon, I am very tempted to take a 4 day wekend and head for Estes Park to see if it breaks the clcle again.

On another note....I saw a thread earlier about Clomed being used to help clusters.  As you might know it is often prescribed for men to stop the conversion of Testosterone to Estrogen.  It is also used for fertility in women.  I believe it also somehow effects the hypothalmous....As I shared on the other thread I am going to experiment with hcg....a pregnancy hormone that is currently being used off label for weight loss.  I am about ready to start this diet....for the 2nd time.  I lost 20 lbs the first time and have kept it off.  I can stand to lose another 20, but am most interested in seeing if it breaks this cycle.  I hope to start it next weekend.  It is a 6 week thing, so I will keep you posted.  I am currently in week 2 of my usual 3 month cycle...

Sorry for rambling, but it has been a long time since I was here and wanted to catch up.

Hi E-Double...Hi Nani....and everybody that I met in Dallas a few years back!

godsjoy777  
IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #128 - Jul 12th, 2009 at 10:36pm

Hi again folks!

I have not posted for a bit since i have nothing new and work is consumming all my time (I own a seasonal road construction biz)

I do try to keep up with the forum posts the few days per month when I am not living out of a suitcase, and get great enjoyment in the general post area for sure.

I am in my 7th month of remission which I am assuming is the result of hormone therapy breaking my cycle earlier than ever before, in December of 08 (previous earliest remission in 30 years was in March).

My record remission over the past 30 years has been 9 months...so time will tell. There will be a party when i surpass the 9 month mark...fingers crossed!

I have continued on low dose testosterone even in my remission months.

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Iddy
CH.com Alumnus

Smile

Toronto,Canada
Reply #129 - Jul 13th, 2009 at 9:08pm

I got the results of my blood test today. My Neuro ordered the test at my request but had my GP review it as it was quicker since I had an appointment today.

Results were enough to have my GP get more specific blood work ordered as my levels were a little low as were my platlets.

I'm grateful for this post. Thank you

Iddy

Walk in Peace

"If you can, help others, if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." Dalai Lama

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #130 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 10:14pm

Just heard from another Cluster patient that uses 5-Hydroxytryptophan for effective treatment based on the hormone theory.

Basically over the counter health food store stuff.

Anyone ever try it?

Good old unreliable Wikipedia says it can be used for treatment of headache and pretty much everything else.

Experiences?

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

lorac
CH.com Old Timer

Imagine

Tennessee
Reply #131 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 5:22pm

Just read this whole thread, and can't wait to see my doctor.

I hope you all keep it going, It is very interesting.

I have been in remision for 2 years, and am just back. Had my first big one last night (k-9) after 2 weeks of shadows....I have been reading and trying to catch up on the latest, before I go to the dr again.

Thanks a bunch     Lorac

IP Logged

lorac
CH.com Old Timer

Imagine

Tennessee
Reply #132 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 5:35pm

Oh! And Paul....thank you very much for sharing.

Great pfds for you!        lorac

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #133 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 3:25pm

still on testosterone and still in remission.

26 more days til I break my "longest remission" period in 30 years.

Fingers crossed!

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

MarkG253
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sterling, CT
Reply #134 - Aug 25th, 2009 at 2:14pm

Well....After reading this , I was able to talk my Doc into looking into it  further... He ordered up a blood test  which I got ( no results yet) and gave me my first months supply of "gel"...... lets see what happens...

Mark

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #135 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 9:56pm

MarkG253 wrote on Aug 25th, 2009 at 2:14pm:
Well....After reading this , I was able to talk my Doc into looking into it  further... He ordered up a blood test  which I got ( no results yet) and gave me my first months supply of "gel"...... lets see what happens...

Mark

Fingers crossed for you Mark...a one month test should be enough to see if you respond at all to this treatment assuming you are in full cycle now.
Glad to hear your Doc has an open mind.
Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #136 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 9:59pm

still on testosterone and still in remission.

I am already ecstatic about the fact that i have already experienced the second longest remission in 30 years!!

but 16 more days til I break my "longest remission" period in 30 years. (nine months)

Fingers crossed!

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Lefty
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #137 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 12:07pm

Paul, this is excellent news...!

I thought I would post this journal extract with similar positive results.

To describe the clinical characteristics and laboratory findings of cluster headache patients whose headaches responded to testosterone replacement therapy.

Background.—Current evidence points to hypothalamic dysfunction, with increased metabolic hyperactivity in the region of the suprachiasmatic nucleus, as being important in the genesis of cluster headaches. This is clinically borne out in the circadian and diurnal behavior of these headaches. For years it has been recognized that male cluster headache patients appear overmasculinized.

Recent neuroendocrine and sleep studies now point to an association between gonadotropin and corticotropin levels and hypothalamically entrained pineal secretion of melatonin. Results.—Seven male and 2 female patients, seen between July 2004 and February 2005, and between the ages of 32 and 56, are reported with histories of treatment resistant cluster headaches accompanied by borderline low or low serum testosterone levels.

The patients failed to respond to individually tailored medical regimens, including melatonin doses of 12 mg a day or higher, high flow oxygen, maximally tolerated verapamil, antiepileptic agents, and parenteral serotonin agonists. Seven of the 9 patients met 2004 International Classification for the Diagnosis of Headache criteria for chronic cluster headaches; the other 2 patients had episodic cluster headaches of several months duration.

After neurological and physical examination all patients had laboratory investigations including fasting lipid panel, PSA (where indicated), LH, FSH, and testosterone levels (both free and total). All 9 patients demonstrated either abnormally low or low, normal testosterone levels. After supplementation with either pure testosterone in 5 of 7 male patients or combination testosterone/estrogen therapy in both female patients, the patients achieved cluster headache freedom for the first 24 hours.

Four male chronic cluster patients, all with abnormally low testosterone levels, achieved remission. Conclusions.—Abnormal testosterone levels in patients with episodic or chronic cluster headaches refractory to maximal medical management may predict a therapeutic response to testosterone replacement therapy.

In the described cases, diurnal variation of attacks, a seasonal cluster pattern, and previous, transient responsiveness to melatonin therapy pointed to the hypothalamus as the site of neurological dysfunction. Prospective studies pairing hormone levels and polysomnographic data are needed.

Journal: Headache: The Journal of Head & Face Pain
Pub.: 2006-06
Volume: 46

Lefty..!
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2009 at 12:07pm by Lefty »  

"When money's tight and is hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt
A PINT OF PLAIN IS YOUR ONLY MAN."
— Flann O'Brien

IP Logged

MarkG253
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sterling, CT
Reply #138 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 8:00pm

Hey Paul and All.....
Just a quick update on myself....
After using T for 2 days....
Within the first use,,, went from a CH every 8 hrs to 1 every 12 hrs..... I call that progress right off the bat...
been getting a little longer between each episode.  Lets see what a week brings!!

Mark

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #139 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 6:50pm

MarkG253 wrote on Aug 27th, 2009 at 8:00pm:
Hey Paul and All.....
Just a quick update on myself....
After using T for 2 days....
Within the first use,,, went from a CH every 8 hrs to 1 every 12 hrs..... I call that progress right off the bat...
been getting a little longer between each episode.  Lets see what a week brings!!

Mark

Oh man, I hear ya...... but just a caution that my doc told me....that wishing it would work can be enough some time to tip the body's balance in favour of the result you want....the true test is over time.....after three months my doctor conceeded that now he was getting very excited about the effects of the testosterone....and now 8 1/2 months later he is absolutely convinced of the effects of the treatment.

I hope you are every bit as lucky....rock on, and enjoy every pain free minute.  My life has been transformed in such a way that only a chronic sufferer that becomes pain free can appreciate...I wish everyone will get the chance to experience it regardless of which type of treatment does it for them.

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #140 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 10:55pm

Great news!  Can't wait to hear you when you break your record Paul, and I hope the beast never returns.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #141 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 10:53pm

Hi everyone...it's been a while.

Every day now, I am breaking my own record for the longest remission ever since getting CH about 30 years ago...I am heading into 10 month territory.

I still feel shadows from time to time, but not one has broken through to cause the agony I have historically endured and only you fellow CHers can understand.

My testosterone therapy continues using Androgel and my levels are significantly above the range which would be considered normal....this concerns me somewhat as I wonder at what point the doctor will reduce my dose (to minimize risks associated with too much testosterone)...will a reduced dose result in the return of CH??

I will continue to post from time to time for those interested in this new approach to CH management for intractable cases.

Smiley

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

John B
CH.com Alumnus

Phoenix, AZ USA
Reply #142 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 1:24pm

For me, testostorone suppliment injections made my chronic CH worse. I was tested for testostorone levels.  I was at the low end of normal.  My doc gave me T injections.  Over time I came to realize that the T injections were causing a lot more breakthrough headaches, and so I quit taking them.

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #143 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 3:10pm

John B wrote on Oct 7th, 2009 at 1:24pm:
For me, testostorone suppliment injections made my chronic CH worse. I was tested for testostorone levels.  I was at the low end of normal.  My doc gave me T injections.  Over time I came to realize that the T injections were causing a lot more breakthrough headaches, and so I quit taking them. 

My doc had heard of this happening and the general concensus of the docs who prescribe hormone  for clusters, is that a slow release gel or pellets are the only way to stabilize and even out the amount of testosterone in the bloodstream. Rebounds are said to occur with injections due to the way they cause rapid rise and fall of hormone levels rather than a constant rate.

That being said, hormone manipulation only works for some just as other medications may only work for some.

P
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2009 at 3:13pm by MITYRARE »  

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #144 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 3:26pm

I hope that you are getting psa tests regularly.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #145 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 4:38pm

Jimi wrote on Oct 7th, 2009 at 3:26pm:

I am. Wink

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #146 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 8:30pm

Jimi wrote on Oct 7th, 2009 at 3:26pm:

Yes...all the time...just got results back yesterday again.  With my luck, that will be the thing that eventually screws this up for me...but for now i am smiling!

P

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Niels
Ex Member

I Love CH.com!

Reply #147 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 1:34am

Hi

Try taking vitamin-D and get your blood level up between 50-80 ng/ml. It will regulate your testosterone, serotonin and melatonin level to normal. I haven’t had any CH for 8 months now. Another benefit is that my PSA has decreased over 20 %.

Niels   
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2009 at 2:20am by Niels »  

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #148 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 2:12pm

My first headache-free September and October in 28 years.

"Why don't we pay attention to this"....without reading this thread a year ago, what state would I be in today.

Thank Goodness people on this forum freely post any tidbit of CH information and personal CH experience on here, so we can each experiment and find the best coping strategies for these very individual headaches....one size definately does not fit all.

Thanks CH.com and all who visit this forum.

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

B
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

England, UK
Reply #149 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 5:51am

Thank you for this post.
I am compiling a list of things for my husband to try as he's only recently been diagnosed, and he has an appointment with doc next week.. so I shall get him to have test.. fingers crossed!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!