Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19
Send Topic Print
WHY don't we pay attention to this? (Read 133527 times)
MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Re: WHY don't we pay attention to this?
Reply #75 - Jan 4th, 2009 at 10:33pm

Some on the board may be getting tired of me already with this testosterone stuff, but i plan on sticking around until we all are pain free one way or another.

I do really hope that more would give testosterone testing a shot...there potentially is so much to gain for some...maybe many...my life has been transformed this last couple of weeks...even if it does not last for one reason or another as other treatments have been.

I am so grateful for these pain free weeks...it was a blessing to spend tonight at my grandson's first birthday party as an active participant enjoying every minute...my family hardly knows who i am without the CH...time to get reacquainted.
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2009 at 10:33pm by MITYRARE »  

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #76 - Jan 4th, 2009 at 10:37pm

Worth a look....to
get the video to work click the man's face
NOT the link below the pic

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Paul
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2009 at 10:39pm by MITYRARE »  

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #77 - Jan 4th, 2009 at 11:38pm

Bump
Beat ya!! Cheesy
the bb

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #78 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 10:26pm

My next door neighbour has CH. We always compare war stories.

He and his wife have been provided with the hormone info and expects his Dr. will agree to the testing.

He has done predn. taper and uses Verapamil and Maxalt with some limited success. He has been with different Dr.s and has yet to get an O2 script.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2009 at 10:27pm by MITYRARE »  

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #79 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 6:28pm

14 days completely pain free for me...a new milestone.

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

DonnaH_again
Ex Member

Reply #80 - Jan 10th, 2009 at 6:40am

Please keep the reports coming, Paul.  Great News!!

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #81 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 5:13pm

Experiencing some unsettling light shadows yesterday and today as well as a general queasy, balance issue, unwell feeling...I think it may be the result of dropping Topamax too fast....

Reflecting here, i realize that i should take 8 weeks to taper off my 200mg dose, and here i am three weeks and a couple of days since starting to taper and i am down to my last 25mg...I dropped 50 mg in the last few days...probably not recommended...I will stay at this last 25 mg dose for a few more days until i feel better and then drop it.

Perhaps just a little over anxious to get drug free, to enjoy this CH free time.

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus

What Goes Around Comes
Around!

Georgetown,Ontario
Reply #82 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 6:21pm

Here's hoping you've found your magic bullet, Paul.

Carol

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #83 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 7:15pm

Grandma_Sweet_Boy wrote on Jan 11th, 2009 at 6:21pm:
Here's hoping you've found your magic bullet, Paul.

Carol

Thanks Carol...I am hoping so too!   

I am going to have my Dr. contact Dr. Stillman (the one in Cleveland that did the hormone therapy research) and see if there are anymore ongoing studies happening with regards to the CH-hormone relationship and to see how the long term results are doing for those patients in the original study.

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #84 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 11:13am

MY WEEK #5 HRT REPORT

CH free all week....yessssss!

Some very light shadows (enough to tell me that i am still in cycle, so I did not have do the "cologne test" to see if remission has begun...it has not...yet)

Reduced from 40mg to 30 mg amitrip. for sleep.

Off of Topamax completely...(CAUTION - tapering off Topamax any faster than Dr. recommendations results in a strange and unpleasant withdrawal experience)

Enjoying my first winter life in 24 years.

Paul
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2009 at 11:15am by MITYRARE »  

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #85 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 1:36pm

Quote:
Enjoying my first winter life in 24 years.

Now that rocks!!
all the best
the bb

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #86 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 5:41pm

That's awesome!!!!!! I'm so happy for you!!!

...now, has there been any consensus on how quickly your testosterone levels come back to normal when the cycle ends, or if there's any kind of "effect" on the body?  Or if it's gradual?

Remember- double-line the foil, shiny side out.

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #87 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 7:20pm

UnderTheRadar wrote on Jan 20th, 2009 at 5:41pm:
That's awesome!!!!!! I'm so happy for you!!!

...now, has there been any consensus on how quickly your testosterone levels come back to normal when the cycle ends, or if there's any kind of "effect" on the body?  Or if it's gradual?

I do not know yet...I am still in cycle and the testosterone justs prevents any CH...

.....but i know i am in cycle because twice in this past week i have administered my "cologne" test, and both times it precipitated a faint shadow immediately....without the Testosterone I would have been in a full CH....been there, done that too many times.

I will be continuing to test occassionally to determine when the cycle ends, and based on 24+ years of regular winter cycles ( they were irregular cycles beyond the 24 year mark...had CH 30 years total) I know exactly when they would normally end.

I do know that i will get monthly blood level tests and I will report if any "spike" in hormone happens when my cycle ends, as well as report any changes should I happen to feel or notice, if any.

To this point in time i have not experienced any changes due to HRT other than difficulty getting to sleep ( never feel tired). I do not notice any super strength, have not needed sex 14 times a day and still can't grow a decent beard!  

The dose i am taking in small and the Doc. did not expect me to notice any changes. He may increase the dose if the blood levels are ok later this month in order to see if we can achieve an end to the cycle.

At this point I have a total "supression" of the CH. without the use of any other meds.

How long before my body adjusts to this and they come back???

Trying to remain optimistic, but have been bitten in the ass before when other therapies had very short lived success.....so far, this therapy has surpassed anything in 30 years for me.

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #88 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 10:28pm

where has this post been hiding???  very very interesting. I have a neuro appt next week and will surely ask about this

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #89 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 8:33pm

MY WEEK #6 HRT REPORT

CH free all week....yessssss!

Triggered a shadow to see if I was still in cycle.

Still 30 mg amitrip. for sleep.(testosterone keeps me awake)

No preventers.

Still worried about how long this will last....enjoying every day to the fullest!

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

DonnaH_again
Ex Member

Reply #90 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 10:35pm

YESSSSSS......Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

CH.com Newbie

x0|New York|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Re: WHY don't we pay attention to this? - Testosterone
Reply #91 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 11:06am

A doctor used to stop my CH attacks by giving me a shot of testosterone with some progesterone. I don't know the amounts and he has since died. The headaches would stop in a few hours rather than slogging on through their every 2 hours for 20-30 minutes day and night for 2-6 weeks.

His reasoning: a whiplash injury was able to trigger the CH because I have a slight pituitary deficiency. The pituitary would demand more thyroid, wouldn't get enough, and the headaches would break out. He said the progesterone helped boost the amount of thyroid hormone but he said he included testosterone to reduce (he said "avoid") risk of causing cancer and to boost the energy needed to get the needed amount of thyroid. Layman language. But he sent me to the head of NYU Hospital's endocrinology dept to double check his analysis before he prescribed Cytomel, a pre-digested thyroid medine. The dept head, Dr. Kaufman, said the tests showed a problem with the thyroid differential, not high or low and minor so most doctors wouldn't consider it significant, but it was. Cytomel led or contributed to osteoporosis so I had to wean off it.

Now what I do to prevent the cycles, as long as I get at least 6 hours of sleep every night - kelp pills (for the iodine that Cytomel, a pre-digested thyroid medicine, also gave). If I get less than 6 hours of sleep for 2 + nights, the CH hit for 2-6 weeks. If I can't go to sleep or wake at 4 and can't get back to sleep before I have to go to work, I now take Tylenol PM or Boiron Quietude (homeopathic sleep treatment) to make sure I get to sleep. I seem to get only about two cycles per year instead of every month.

PS - I'm a woman and the doctor said I still needed the testosterone
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2009 at 11:09am by 1981 »  

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #92 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 11:36am

Ok, how would this work for an episodic with a typical 40 day cycle every 18 months?  Would they just go on the Testosterone for the cycle duration, or would it be year round?  Any input?

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Re: WHY don't we pay attention to this? - Testosterone
Reply #93 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 4:16pm

1981 wrote on Jan 24th, 2009 at 11:06am:
A doctor used to stop my CH attacks by giving me a shot of testosterone with some progesterone. I don't know the amounts and he has since died. The headaches would stop in a few hours rather than slogging on through their every 2 hours for 20-30 minutes day and night for 2-6 weeks.

His reasoning: a whiplash injury was able to trigger the CH because I have a slight pituitary deficiency. The pituitary would demand more thyroid, wouldn't get enough, and the headaches would break out. He said the progesterone helped boost the amount of thyroid hormone but he said he included testosterone to reduce (he said "avoid") risk of causing cancer and to boost the energy needed to get the needed amount of thyroid. Layman language. But he sent me to the head of NYU Hospital's endocrinology dept to double check his analysis before he prescribed Cytomel, a pre-digested thyroid medine. The dept head, Dr. Kaufman, said the tests showed a problem with the thyroid differential, not high or low and minor so most doctors wouldn't consider it significant, but it was. Cytomel led or contributed to osteoporosis so I had to wean off it.

Now what I do to prevent the cycles, as long as I get at least 6 hours of sleep every night - kelp pills (for the iodine that Cytomel, a pre-digested thyroid medicine, also gave). If I get less than 6 hours of sleep for 2 + nights, the CH hit for 2-6 weeks. If I can't go to sleep or wake at 4 and can't get back to sleep before I have to go to work, I now take Tylenol PM or Boiron Quietude (homeopathic sleep treatment) to make sure I get to sleep. I seem to get only about two cycles per year instead of every month.

PS - I'm a woman and the doctor said I still needed the testosterone

Thank you for  your post...more and more stories are supporting positive results with hormone use for some hard to treat cluster patients.

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #94 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 4:27pm

Melissa wrote on Jan 25th, 2009 at 11:36am:
Ok, how would this work for an episodic with a typical 40 day cycle every 18 months?  Would they just go on the Testosterone for the cycle duration, or would it be year round?  Any input?

I do not know, however i would assume that if you did not have insurance coverage, HRT could be rather expensive to carry on year round for episodes spaced so far apart, and probably not neccesary.

If you predict with any certainty when you expected a revisit of the beast, you could possibly start therapy a couple of weeks prior and see if the cycle even materializes....otherwise if you wait until he returns, (and you are one of the ones where Hormone therapy works), you could restart immediately at the onset of a cycle and possibly have good results within a couple of weeks, rather than suffer for 40 days.

Another option would be to get hormone injections at the onset of a cycle....i have come to understand that it works immediately since a high dose hits the bloodstream right away  versus the patch or gel which take some days to build up in bloodstream to any significant level for relief.  

The problem with injections is the inconvenience and it tends to spike the hormone high quickly and then drops off until the next injection happens......it may be a good way to "fast track" into the bloodstream and then start on the gel or patch for maintenance of hormone levels during the cycle ( this is how it was explained to me by my doctor.

My Doctor returns this coming week and i am scheduled to review things with him...if i learn anything of value, I will be sure to post in this thread.

Paul
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2009 at 10:50pm by MITYRARE »  

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #95 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 4:49pm

Paul, thank you for your reply.

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

alleyoop
CH.com Hall of Famer

Am I self-centered or
is it just me?

Hiawassee, GA USA
Reply #96 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 9:29pm

I rarely visit this forum anymore, and just ran across this thread.  After reading the 4 pages, I decided to share my experience.

Last August at the suggestion of my neuro, I started taking clomiphene citrate - 50mg daily.  It's fairly expensive and for the most part only prescribed to women to help them ovulate.  I found that I can get the generic for $49 a month.  It boosts the T-levels.  

I am diagnosed primary chronic CH and am considered refractory.  I have tried all of the traditional meds, as well as the "alternatives."  I have gotten some relief with psilocybin, LSD and LSA.  The only traditional med that has helped at all is verapamil.  I have been taking 480mg of verap daily for years now.  Oxygen also works for me most of the time.

Since starting on the clomiphene citrate, my frequency and intensity has dropped dramatically.  I have gone from an average of 4-5 hits daily, averaging k5-6, to about 3-4 hits weekly with almost all being a K-1 and the worst being a K-2!  I have also had a couple of totally pain free periods lasting a week or more.

This is where my neuro got the idea from:

From the February, 2008 issue of "Headache" magazine, Dr. Rozen writes:

Michigan Head Pain and Neurological Institute, Ann Arbor, MI 48104, USA.

"A treatment refractory chronic cluster headache patient is presented who became cluster-free on clomiphene citrate. The author has previously reported a SUNCT patient responding to clomiphene citrate. Hypothalamic hormonal modulation therapy with clomiphene citrate may become a new preventive choice for trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias. The possible mechanism of action of clomiphene citrate for cluster headache prevention will be discussed."  

I have the full text of this article, but am afraid it is a bit long to post here.  I would be glad to send it as an attachment to an email, if anyone is interested.

As someone said, what works for one person may not work for another.  And BTW, I have another friend who was also chronic that has tried clomiphene citrate with the same great results.

Wishing everyone out there fighting this disease -- all the best!

alley
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2009 at 9:32pm by alleyoop »  

I know that the Good Lord won't put any more on you than you can stand, but sometimes I wish He weren't quite so PROUD of ME!
alleyoop_49  
IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #97 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 4:55pm

Sorry y'all, I'm a little confuzed... Cheesy  Can somebody "sum up" what is going on hormonally for a female episodic, and what we need? 

Remember- double-line the foil, shiny side out.

IP Logged

alleyoop
CH.com Hall of Famer

Am I self-centered or
is it just me?

Hiawassee, GA USA
Reply #98 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 5:25pm

Maybe this will help explain (if it all makes it on the post):

DISCUSSION
Prior to the advent of functional neuroimaging,
cluster headache was already deemed a hypothalamic-
influenced syndrome based on the multitude of hypothalamic
hormonal changes noted in cluster headache
sufferers.Melatonin, cortisol, prolactin, LH, and testosterone
levels can all be altered during a cluster
headache cycle and some of the hormone levels
remain abnormal in the interictal period.7 The idea of
treating these hormonal alterations to see if they
would change the course of cluster headache is not
new with clomiphene citrate. Low testosterone levels
documented in cluster headache sufferers led Nicolodi
et al8 to give testosterone supplementation to chronic
cluster headache patients in the early 1990s. Most of
the treated patients showed no change in headache
intensity or attack frequency, but all subjects had a
dramatic increase in sexual activity. A more recent
investigation, however, did demonstrate a positive
influence of testosterone administration for treatment
resistant cluster headache with some treated patients
having a total remission of attacks.9 The conflicting
treatment response to testosterone may reflect that
testosterone levels are not always low in cluster headache
patients and in some studies testosterone levels
have been found to be normal.7 Leuprolide, a gonadotropin
releasing hormone (RH) analog, was looked at
in a single-dose study and led to a decrease in cluster
headache pain intensity and attack frequency in 26 of
30 chronic cluster headache patients studied.10Twelve
patients had complete resolution of their headaches
17 days after leuprolide administration. Prior to treatment,
all patients had normal testosterone and LH
levels,with an initial rise in serumLHand testosterone
levels (Day 1-5) after leuprolide injection, followed by
a marked reduction in both. The testosterone levels
remained low for 30 days while the duration of headache
improvement lasted 3.25 months. This study in
which testosterone levels were actually persistently
lowered rather than raised gives more credence to the
thought that altering testosterone levels alone may not
be the prime effect of hormonal manipulation therapy
for cluster headache.This investigation was the first to
suggest that giving a medication that can directly
alter the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis can suppress
cluster headache. Based on these promising
results, it is somewhat surprising that leuprolide has
not been looked at further for cluster headache
prevention.
Clomiphene citrate is a synthetic non-steroidal,
ovulatory stimulant that can raise testosterone levels
in males by competing with endogenous estrogen at
hypothalamic estrogen receptors.11 In essence, clomiphene
citrate blocks the endogenous estrogen feedback
inhibition of LH-RH, thus leading to a rise in
LH and FSH levels with subsequent leydig cell stimulation
and testosterone production. The manner by
which clomiphene citrate prevents cluster headache
can only be speculated. The ability for clomiphene
citrate to elevate testosterone levels would appear to
be its primary mechanism of action in cluster headache
modulation, but as stated previously, testosterone
supplementation alone does not always improve
cluster headache and in the case of leuprolide, cluster
headache frequency decreased after a lowering of testosterone
levels.10 In addition, the case patient had no
change in his headaches after direct testosterone
supplementation. Could an elevation of LH levels by
clomiphene citrate in some manner suppress cluster
headache? There are conflicting reports on LH levels
in cluster headache patients with some studies documenting
normal levels while in others LH levels are
reduced.7 It is unlikely that raising LH levels alone
plays a role in cluster headache prevention as LH
levels were markedly reduced in the study subjects
who responded to leuprolide. In addition to altering
testosterone and LH levels, clomiphene citrate has
been shown to reduce prostaglandin E2 levels in a rat
model of ovulation and also in human endometrial
cells.12,13 Prostaglandins are known to have vasoactive
properties and serum prostaglandin E2 levels are
elevated during cluster headache cycles.14 Recently,
prostaglandin E2 was shown to enhance the release of
calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) in a capsaicin
evoked CGRP release model involving the rat
trigeminal nucleus caudalis.15 CGRP is an integral
component to cluster headache pathogenesis. There
are elevated CGRP levels in jugular venous blood
during cluster headache attacks.16 Clomiphene citrate’s
ability to block prostaglandin E2 and thus theoretically
block CGRP release may help explain its
preventive effect in cluster headache. However, there
are no studies to date looking at the direct effect of
clomiphene citrate on CGRP levels in humans or
animals.

I know that the Good Lord won't put any more on you than you can stand, but sometimes I wish He weren't quite so PROUD of ME!
alleyoop_49  
IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #99 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 8:19pm

alleyoop wrote on Jan 27th, 2009 at 5:25pm:
Maybe this will help explain (if it all makes it on the post):

DISCUSSION
Prior to the advent of functional neuroimaging,
cluster headache was already deemed a hypothalamic-
influenced syndrome based on the multitude of hypothalamic
hormonal changes noted in cluster headache
sufferers.Melatonin, cortisol, prolactin, LH, and testosterone
levels can all be altered during a cluster
headache cycle and some of the hormone levels
remain abnormal in the interictal period.7 The idea of
treating these hormonal alterations to see if they
would change the course of cluster headache is not
new with clomiphene citrate. Low testosterone levels
documented in cluster headache sufferers led Nicolodi
et al8 to give testosterone supplementation to chronic
cluster headache patients in the early 1990s. Most of
having a total remission of attacks.9 The conflicting
treatment response to testosterone may reflect that
testosterone levels are not always low in cluster headache
patients and in some studies testosterone levels
have been found to be normal.7 Leuprolide, a gonadotropin
releasing hormone (RH) analog, was looked at
in a single-dose study and led to a decrease in cluster
headache pain intensity and attack frequency in 26 of
30 chronic cluster headache patients studied.10Twelve
patients had complete resolution of their headaches
17 days after leuprolide administration. Prior to treatment,
all patients had normal testosterone and LH
levels,with an initial rise in serumLHand testosterone
levels (Day 1-5) after leuprolide injection, followed by
a marked reduction in both. The testosterone levels
remained low for 30 days while the duration of headache
improvement lasted 3.25 months. This study in
which testosterone levels were actually persistently
lowered rather than raised gives more credence to the
thought that altering testosterone levels alone may not
be the prime effect of hormonal manipulation therapy
for cluster headache.This investigation was the first to
suggest that giving a medication that can directly
alter the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis can suppress
cluster headache. Based on these promising
results, it is somewhat surprising that leuprolide has
not been looked at further for cluster headache
prevention.
Clomiphene citrate is a synthetic non-steroidal,
ovulatory stimulant that can raise testosterone levels
in males by competing with endogenous estrogen at
hypothalamic estrogen receptors.11 In essence, clomiphene
citrate blocks the endogenous estrogen feedback
inhibition of LH-RH, thus leading to a rise in
LH and FSH levels with subsequent leydig cell stimulation
and testosterone production. The manner by
which clomiphene citrate prevents cluster headache
can only be speculated. The ability for clomiphene
citrate to elevate testosterone levels would appear to
be its primary mechanism of action in cluster headache
modulation, but as stated previously, testosterone
supplementation alone does not always improve
cluster headache and in the case of leuprolide, cluster
headache frequency decreased after a lowering of testosterone
levels.10 In addition, the case patient had no
change in his headaches after direct testosterone
supplementation. Could an elevation of LH levels by
clomiphene citrate in some manner suppress cluster
headache? There are conflicting reports on LH levels
in cluster headache patients with some studies documenting
normal levels while in others LH levels are
reduced.7 It is unlikely that raising LH levels alone
plays a role in cluster headache prevention as LH
levels were markedly reduced in the study subjects
who responded to leuprolide. In addition to altering
testosterone and LH levels, clomiphene citrate has
been shown to reduce prostaglandin E2 levels in a rat
model of ovulation and also in human endometrial
cells.12,13 Prostaglandins are known to have vasoactive
properties and serum prostaglandin E2 levels are
elevated during cluster headache cycles.14 Recently,
prostaglandin E2 was shown to enhance the release of
calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) in a capsaicin
evoked CGRP release model involving the rat
trigeminal nucleus caudalis.15 CGRP is an integral
component to cluster headache pathogenesis. There
are elevated CGRP levels in jugular venous blood
during cluster headache attacks.16 Clomiphene citrate’s
ability to block prostaglandin E2 and thus theoretically
block CGRP release may help explain its
preventive effect in cluster headache. However, there
are no studies to date looking at the direct effect of
clomiphene citrate on CGRP levels in humans or
animals.

An interesting read...who wrote this information?

Is there a link to find this online?

" Most of
having a total remission of attacks.9"

It would be interesting to see the credits for the information cited in the article.

Were the subjects of this report male or female?

What form of Testosterone and in what dose were they administered?

My Dr. relayed to me at today's appointment that Hormone treatment for clusters should not be attempted by anyone that has some success with traditional coping therapies, be that high flow O2 as an abortive or any of the available drugs abortive/preventers.

The only candidates that should try this treatment should be those resistant to all existing alternative options. This is exactly what Dr. Stillman used as his criteria in his study report which is available by looking back to the first post in this thread.

Hormone treatments are not to be taken lightly...there are some serious complications that can arise from this course of therapy, most notably, the increased risk of prostrate cancer in men. My Dr. has me tested (PSA) every three months when taking testosterone.

Considering the risks , this should be a last resort treatment option worth trying based on the published high rate of success for resistant CH sufferers that show low testosterone levels.

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!