Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 37
Send Topic Print
Anti-Inflammatory Vitamin D3 Regimen and Survey (Read 242468 times)
k.pascoe
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: Anti-Inflammatory Regimen and Survey
Reply #175 - Dec 7th, 2013 at 12:38pm

Gonna give this a try. I've been taking GNC's Mega Men Performance & Vitality vitapak for almost a year now, it does have most of what's needed here, just not enough of it. Off to Target!!!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #176 - Jan 27th, 2014 at 6:58pm

bump

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #177 - Mar 27th, 2014 at 10:14am

Bump

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #178 - Apr 1st, 2014 at 1:41am

G'day Batch,
I'm just wondering. Does calcium citrate cause constipation
Questioning.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #179 - Apr 1st, 2014 at 11:41am

Hoppy,

I guess it's possible... but I've never had that problem...  Eating plenty of roughage, pushing fluids, and 400 mg/day magnesium along with the rest of this regimen usually keeps the GI tract moving nicely.

Take care and please keep me posted.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #180 - Apr 9th, 2014 at 7:00am

G'day Batch,
I think I've found the culprit. Being a chocoholic and
eliminating it  Sad things seem to be getting back to
normal. I wonder, do you think i'm on the money?

Best Hoppy.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #181 - Apr 9th, 2014 at 3:24pm

Hoppy,

It's possible chocolate is the culprit...  That said, pushing fluids and eating enough roughage and fruit should keep things moving nicely...

If that doesn't work there's always the dam buster... prune juice...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #182 - Apr 9th, 2014 at 5:40pm

G'day Batch,
Fluids and me seem to have a love hate relationship. 
I never drink water by itself, my wife constantly moans
to me about it, but I just don't like it, but I drink pure
orange juice daily, have a banana and sultana bran for
breakfast with a cup of tea. My wife blames it on not
drinking water during the day and says i'm dehydrated
because I have a beer and a wee dram at lunchtime.
But, not drinking water has never bother me in the past.
Do you think it could be all in the water?

Best Hoppy

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #183 - Apr 9th, 2014 at 8:06pm

Possibly it could be related, especially with living in Perth where it can be hot and dry most of the year.

Experiment with water, maybe try sparkling or filtered. Once you get used to it it seems perfectly normal.

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #184 - Apr 9th, 2014 at 11:14pm

G'day Mike,
I'm thinking of giving it a go with a squeeze of lemon
juice. And, see how I go.

Cheers, Hoppy.

IP Logged

tpos
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

NJ
Reply #185 - Apr 10th, 2014 at 11:35am

hello all, I'm brand new here, I was diagnosed with cluster headaches about 6 years ago, had them for 3 years in a row then they disappeared for two years. well as of a week ago they are back. I've switched doctors since being diagnosed and without my records he says he can't just take my word for it so he put me on nasonex and ibuprofen for a week saying it might be temporal arteritis and to see what happens. there was no arguing so I just took it and started doing my own research. 6 years ago there wasn't as much info on CH as there is now, and I found this regimen and am on day 3. with that being said about my doctor I think he's just going to look at me like I'm crazy if I ask for a d3 test, plus I'm on Medicaid (or Medicare? I'm only 24, I get the two confused) so I'm thinking about ordering my own blood test from the link posted earlier in this thread. I really hope this D3 regimen works, I get 2 at night and usually 2 during the day and I just can't take it anymore. so it's been 3 days, and I'm already a daily vitamin taker, so there's no adverse reactions so far, do you think I should be starting the weekly loading dose? or should I wait it out? I'm really just eager for something to work. I have a doctors appointment Sunday so he'll probably send me to get an MRI during the week then who knows what that will lead to. I'm not a big fan of prescriptions, I'd much rather go the natural route.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #186 - Apr 10th, 2014 at 1:13pm

Hey Tpos,

Welcome to the anti-inflammatory regimen...  Given you've been taking vitamin D3 for a few days with no problems noted in your post... I'd start the vitamin D3 loading schedule.  Make sure you continue to take the Omega-3 fish oil and all the cofactors...

I would also order the $65 ZRT home blood spot test kit for 25(OH)D through the Vitamin D Council and save it until you're done with the 4 week vitamin D3 loading schedule.

Nasonex and ibuprofen won't do diddly for CH so I see no real need to be taking them other than to satisfy your doctor's guessing game...  That way when you tell him they didn't do anything to stop the headaches, you can ask for home oxygen therapy at a flow rate of 15 liters/minute with a non-rebreathing oxygen mask.

You'll find oxygen therapy at the top of the list as the first abortive of choice in the standards of care recommended treatments for CH...  See the following link:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Scroll down to "Major Recommendations"

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

tpos
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

NJ
Reply #187 - Apr 20th, 2014 at 2:00pm

ok so it's been 9 days since I started the loading dose schedule, my headaches have been really weird for lack of a better word, some days I get very light pain for extended periods, other days excruciating for 1-2 hours, even a day or two with close to nothing. I've been trying to notice things I eat different and seeing if that has an effect, I think sugar one day makes headaches the next day worse, but I'm not positive there's still other things that could be doing it. I've noticed if I exercise in the morning I can push a headache back further but it almost always comes no matter what. also my doctor prescribed me immitrex to try and see if it helps, he said if I need more than 2-3 a week he wants to try something else, so far I've needed one every day. anyway, just to make sure, my second loading 50,000 IU dose was Friday, so that means no 50,000 loading dose this Friday correct and go down to 15,000 IU on Saturday which would be the start of the third week?

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #188 - Apr 20th, 2014 at 2:49pm

Hey Tpos,

The change in your CH patterns is an indication you're building 25(OH)D...  Avoiding sugar is a good idea...  Max out on fish, chicken with lots of greens, beans and fresh berries...  I keep a jar of mixed nuts next to my laptop...

The important thing to remember is the loading schedule is just a guide.  The 600,000 IU of vitamin D3 over four weeks should result in an average 25(OH)D response of 60 ng/mL on top of the starting value...

Some of us are clearly not average so that makes the actual 25(OH)D serum concentration the important measure...  That said, a lasting cessation of CH for more than a week is the best indication you've got your 25(OH)D up in a therapeutic range...

What you might want to try is taking the vitamin D3 a little differently.  Pop your daily dose of the liquid soft gel capsules between your back teeth and hold the contents between your cheek and gums for 20 minutes without swallowing or drinking any fluids.  The vitamin D3 tastes a little sweet and the gel coats gradually dissolve after turning into a gummy bear texture.

Taking the vitamin D3 this way should increase absorption as it bypasses the lower GI tract as it passes directly into the bloodstream.  Continue to take the Omega-3 fish oil and all the cofactors... Magnesium, zinc and vitamin A (retinol) are the big three at this point.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #189 - May 29th, 2014 at 12:14pm

bump

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #190 - Jun 3rd, 2014 at 8:05pm

Got through another Autumn and no CHs  Smiley

Hoppy.

IP Logged

Kel77
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: Anti-Inflammatory Regimen Update and Survey
Reply #191 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 2:08pm

Hello
I'm new here. I don't have cluster headache (sorry if I'm gatecrashing!), but I've had an extreme constant head, neck, face, teeth pain and tinnitus since hitting the back of my head on a wall last July. No drug numbs the pain, Topiramate (evil drug), Gabapentin, Indomethacin, Tapentadol, Oxycodone etc.
Only one thing helped for a short while, 50mg of Prednisolone, but I can't be on that forever.
I can't work, and it's unbearable.
My third neurologist thinks it could be some kind of inflammation, so I found this thread, and just wanted to let you know I've ordered all the stuff and gonna give it a go.
My friend does suffer with clusters, so I'm passing the info on to him too.
It's amazing it's helped so many people. Thank you Batch Smiley.

Kelly

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #192 - Jun 20th, 2014 at 12:37pm

Hey Kelly,

Thanks for the post...  and gatecrashers like you are always welcome...  Good move on both counts. 

There's every reason to expect a reduction in your chronic headache pain symptoms after starting the anti-inflammatory regimen.  The odds are good your friend with CH will also experience a reduction in the frequency, severity and duration of his CH when he starts it.

I've updated this post (first few pages), with the latest version of the anti-inflammatory regimen. It now contains a 3-month course of vitamin B 50.  This came as a suggestion from Dr. Stasha Gominak, MD.  See her videos on this topic at the following link:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Dr Gominak is a neurologist in Tyler, TX and she's been treating patients with sleep, chronic pain and headache disorders for over 6 years with a vitamin D3 regimen very similar to the anti-inflammatory regimen.  The only real difference is she adds the 3-month course of vitamin B 50.

Take care and please keep us posted

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2014 at 12:40pm by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Putter
CH.com Junior

Glad I am not alone with
CH

Ontario Canada
Reply #193 - Jul 14th, 2014 at 1:09pm

Hi,  I am a long time CH sufferer and used this site last in 2007. My last bout was in 2010 and I was so hopeful I might never get them again. Alas, they started on July 1st. I got into my Headache Doc quickly to start the verapamil, prednisone (10 pills for 10 days, then taper one down per day for 10 days). I am taking 8 tomorrow, 7 on Wed.... 
Then I read all about the Vit. D Treatment and other vitamins.  Even on the prednisone, I have had a couple of hits, but in my vitamin cabinet, I happened to have Vit D and Fish Oil capsules. Started two days ago and no CH. I am pleasantly surprised! I am going to reread the entire recommendation that Batch posted (wow, thanks!) .
I wonder how things will look in the next 8 days as I taper off prednisone. I feel like I have a lot going on with Prednisone, Verapamil, Imitrex on standby and the o2 was delivered today. Now with the Vitamins... I am going to need to buy one of those pill holders to remember everthing!  I will also look into the Vit. D test mention with my Doctor.  Amazing that you (Batch)  stumbled on this and have helped so many.  So grateful I read this, Thanks, Leanne (Putter)

IP Logged

thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Reply #194 - Jul 15th, 2014 at 3:34pm

Hi Putter, The Batch Vit D3 regimen is the way to go. I am pain free for 16 months now (apaprt from the occasional shadow) thanks to the regimen. The last few pages (if you don't want to read all the pages) of the "123 days pain free" thread are most informative and i would recommend to anyone on the site to read it.
I would also recommend that you start the regimen A.S.A.P with loading doses of D3 as well as all the other ingredients of the regimen.
All the best, I hope that you stay pain free.
Smiley

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #195 - Jul 16th, 2014 at 12:18pm

Hey Putter,

Thanks for the feedback.  Taking all the nutrients listed in the anti-inflammatory regimen at the suggested doses is important.  Taking enough vitamin D3 (the loading schedule) at the start of this regimen is also important.  This will help prevent a relapse after an initial favorable response.

When CH'ers who are clearly deficient in vitamin D3 start taking this regimen at 10,000 IU/day roughly 10% experience an initial favorable response followed by some onerous CH hits.

What appears to be happening is the initial doses of vitamin D3 start working to prevent CH within 24 to 48 hours as soon as it's metabolized in the liver to 25(OH)D, but the immune system's regulatory T-cells also start gobbling up the 25(OH)D as well. 

The first few days of vitamin D3 results in a bloom in the number of regulatory T-cells so they may be consuming even more of the 25(OH)D along with the enzymes needed to metabolize it to 1,25(OH)2D3...  This may leave too little 25(OH)D along with dips in the availability of the essential enzymes needed to prevent CH.

The simple fix for this problem is to start the vitamin D3 loading schedule.  This will ensure there are sufficient quantities of vitamin D3 and the other essential supplements to handle both the prevention of CH and activation of the immune systems regulatory T-cells.

Hope this helps.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2014 at 1:44pm by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Putter
CH.com Junior

Glad I am not alone with
CH

Ontario Canada
Reply #196 - Jul 16th, 2014 at 10:03pm

Hi Batch,
Thanks very much for the added input. I have been reading a lot of your advice to others which has been equally interesting and insightful.
I am still tapering off prednisone, only 6 tomorrow. I had a CH this morning, after 5 pain free days. Not bad.
This afternoon my family and I arrived in New York State (vacationing) so I bought Vit. D3 5000iu and promptly took 20,000iu. We shall see what transpires, plus I will add the other supplements that I need.
I am really looking forward to having a chat with my Doctor and getting the lab test done.
Again thanks for the support.
Wishing those who read this PF days and nights.

IP Logged

shooky
CH.com Veteran

33 years of CH.

TLV Israel
Reply #197 - Jul 17th, 2014 at 7:20pm

I found the D3 and Omega 3 to be the most important ingredients of the regimen. But almost every other ingredient has really good reasons to be helpful as well - magnesium being a calcium-channel blocker much like Verapamil; Vitamin A which is needed in order to absorb the D3; Vitamin K with its crucial effect on blood vessels self correction processes (it also inhibits an enzyme that releases testosterone in the urine, which some of us lack); and so on.

WWW https://www.facebook.com/shooky.galili  
IP Logged

feisty
CH.com Veteran

west coast, BC, Canada
Reply #198 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 3:10pm

I studied Vitamin D a lot when my daughter developed a bad case of early childhood caries. I stumbled on information about traditional diets and how they were high in vitamins and minerals that we don't get enough of in modern diets. I believe that taking high vitamin D cod liver oil and butter high in vitamin K were part of what worked to arrest her caries! I never expected all my research to be recycled to help my husband with CH!

This article may be useful to understand how important the cofactors are:

Is Vitamin D Safe? Still Depends on Vitamins A and K! Testimonials and a Human Study
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I have found the above site to have a lot of useful information about Vit D, A, K.

From my research, the best source of Vitamin K is butter - when it comes from cows eating rapidly growing grass in the spring and fall seasons. It's good to stock up on butter at the right time of year, freeze a year's worth, and use it in cooking and baking. (more info: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)

Please note I have no financial stake in any health-related products, information, or services. I am simply an obsessive researcher!

Thanks very much for your work on this Batch. My husband recently started a cobbled-together supplement regimen and I'm going to buy more supplements today.
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2014 at 3:31pm by feisty »  

Smiley wife of 48 year old husband who suffers from episodic CH ~ Batch's Anti-Inflammatory Regimen works!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #199 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 4:43pm

Hey Feisty,

Where in BC?  I live 20 miles West of Seattle...

2000 to 3000 mg/day Vitamin C is great for teeth as well.  It helps eliminate tarter buildup and kills most of the bacteria and virus associated with dental problems.

Get you husband tested for 25(OH)D.  Be sure to ask for the actual serum concentration and not the doctor's interpretation of "adequate" or "normal."

While you're at it...  you should get your 25(OH)D tested too.  My wife has been on the complete anti-inflammatory regimen taking 15,000 IU/day vitamin D3 for over three years and loves it.  She's not a CH'er but she was a chronic migraineur for over 20 years...  She hasn't had a single migraine since starting this regimen.

80 ng/mL, (200 nmol/L) is a good 25(OH)D serum concentration to shoot for in order to prevent CH...  That usually requires a maintenance dose of at least 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 plus the Omega-3 fatty acids and all the vitamin D3 cofactors...

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 37
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!