Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 37
Send Topic Print
Anti-Inflammatory Vitamin D3 Regimen and Survey (Read 242422 times)
feisty
CH.com Veteran

west coast, BC, Canada
Re: Anti-Inflammatory Regimen Update and Survey
Reply #200 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 5:14pm

Thanks for your kind reply Batch. We're in the greater Vancouver area.

I'm taking some of the supplements as well, and the children are too. We kind of "fell off the wagon" with consistency so this is a good wakeup call.

Quote:
Get you husband tested for 25(OH)D.
I am working on this. I have to get a doctor requisition for it AND pay for it - I checked with the lab  Roll Eyes . Unfortunately, my husband is extremely busy with his work schedule so it is really hard to get him to see a doctor. So frustrating. I might try to get him to see someone at a walk-in clinic on Saturday.

Smiley wife of 48 year old husband who suffers from episodic CH ~ Batch's Anti-Inflammatory Regimen works!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #201 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 8:21pm

Feisty,

You can get a DIY 25(OH)D home blood spot test kit from ZRT labs through the Vitamin D Council at the following link.  They have a video that shows how to collect the samples you mail back to ZRT Labs.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I have my entire family, wife, three kids, their spouses and seven grand kids all on the anti-inflammatory regimen. 

My daughter has been taking this regimen at 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 for the last 18 months and she just delivered a beautiful baby girl.  Her OB was a little surprised at the vitamin D3 dose... but commented her labs looked great and the problem free pregnancy and delivery were reason enough not to change anything.

Colds and flu have stopped being a problem for all of us...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

feisty
CH.com Veteran

west coast, BC, Canada
Reply #202 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 8:38pm

Thanks Batch. I know that dh followed up on one of those home kits that was available locally - the price was insane though! I'll find out which one he sourced.

We get burned on these things in Canada - smaller market. I also found that many of the recommended supplements were not available in a large local drug store. I will order from iherb.com if necessary - I've had good experiences with them in the past.
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2014 at 8:39pm by feisty »  

Smiley wife of 48 year old husband who suffers from episodic CH ~ Batch's Anti-Inflammatory Regimen works!

IP Logged

feisty
CH.com Veteran

west coast, BC, Canada
Reply #203 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 3:44pm

Quote:
You can get a DIY 25(OH)D home blood spot test kit from ZRT labs through the Vitamin D Council at the following link.  They have a video that shows how to collect the samples you mail back to ZRT Labs.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

FYI, they do not ship to Canada. I just ordered a kit here:

IP Logged

feisty
CH.com Veteran

west coast, BC, Canada
Reply #204 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 1:21pm

To anyone reading this, I hope that you start/stick with the regimen that Batch is suggesting and get his help (and your doctor's help) with tweaking it. The results speak for themselves, and I am convinced of its safety - especially given the alternatives, which aren't great by comparison. I have a scientific background (not health related) so it's in my nature to want to understand and review the evidence at hand. Six years ago, after much research, I cured my daughter (who was 22 months at the time) of a horrible case of early childhood caries and the cure included Vitamins D3, A, K2, and associated minerals. That's when I first learned about the tremendous importance of these nutrients.

Batch, I hope you can humour me with a question about Vitamin A. The current regimen suggests 10,000 IU of vitamin D3 and 3,000 IU of vitamin A (for men), daily. That would be a 0.3 ratio of vitamin A to D3. I am trying to reconcile this recommendation with those of a school of thought that suggests higher proportionate doses of Vitamin A, and proposes that vitamin A acts synergistically with D3, and that each vitamin protects against toxicity of the other.

This article that reviews the thinking on supplementation summarizes recommendations of ratios of 10:1, 5:1, 4-8:1 for Vitamin A to Vitamin D from a variety of health advocates:

From the same author:
Quote:
Another study published in the European Journal of Epidemiology in 2001found that South Indians with 25(OH)D levels higher than 89 ng/mL (223 nmol/L) were three times more likely to have suffered from ischemic heart disease than those with lower levels – and of course with such a dramatic elevation of heart disease risk, the risk may have begun increasing at levels substantially lower than 89 ng/mL.

Neither of these studies were designed to show that high levels of 25(OH)D cause decreases in bone mineral density or increases in heart disease risk, but it is possible.  As I especially emphasized in my Wise Traditions and Medical Hypotheses articles on vitamin K2, bone resorption and blood vessel calcification are prominent symptoms of vitamin D toxicity in animal experiments. I also emphasized the role of vitamins A and K2 in protecting against vitamin D toxicity.  So, even if these levels are in fact harmful, they may only be harmful or may be primarily harmful in the absence of adequate vitamins A and K2. The presence of the other fat-soluble vitamins could even turn these levels from harmful to beneficial.

This article discusses the evidence for the hypothesis that vitamin D3 supplementation increases the need for Vitamin A:

So my question is, how did you decide on the current ratio of Vitamin A to D3?

Respectfully,
Feisty

IP Logged

sue_g
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Gananoque|Canada||0|0|ON,Ontario
Reply #205 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 8:23pm

Hi Batch and all,
An update for all... I'm doing quite well, actually I haven't felt so good in many years, its wonderful. (thank you Batch Smiley ) I've been following the Anti Inflammatory regimen since Sept 2013, test 25(OH)D every 3 mths and living PF.
I want to share this video/link I read on Clusterbusters FB page, and would like Batches comments.
Dr. Kate Rheaume-Bleue explains in detail the need and benefits of the K2 supplement.

Do you agree with Kate Rheaume-Bleue opinion, with every 1000mg D3, we should supplement with 100mcg's of K2?  Therefore if we are on a daily maintenance of 10,000 D3, our K2 intake should be around 1000mcg/day.
Batch, please share your thoughts.
Much appreciated, as always Smiley
Sue

Tomorrow will be better!

IP Logged

feisty
CH.com Veteran

west coast, BC, Canada
Reply #206 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 1:51pm

Tweaking the D3 dosing - I found a useful chart for those who want to use D3 supplementation to achieve a specific blood level. If you already have your blood level of 25(OH)D, you can go to page 2 of this series of charts:
Look up how much D3 you should take per day to achieve a 60 ng/ml (Batch's recommended minimum) based on your weight and your starting level of  25(OH)D. See the example given under the chart.

Also, I found it interesting to read in this journal article that 54–90 ng/mL 25[OH]D level is considered "normal in sunny countries" (>100 ng/mL flagged as "excess"):
That overlaps nicely with Batch's recommendation of >60 ng/mL, and it is a reassuring counterpoint to some of what I've read cautioning about maintaining levels that high.

IP Logged

feisty
CH.com Veteran

west coast, BC, Canada
Reply #207 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 2:05pm

sue_g wrote on Jul 30th, 2014 at 8:23pm:
Do you agree with Kate Rheaume-Bleue opinion, with every 1000mg D3, we should supplement with 100mcg's of K2?  Therefore if we are on a daily maintenance of 10,000 D3, our K2 intake should be around 1000mcg/day.
Sue, Batch is currently recommending a K supplement - see his updated first post in this thread.

Vitamin K is very important!
Quote:
Vitamin K2 is the substance that makes the vitamin A- and vitamin D-dependent proteins come to life. While vitamins A and D act as signaling molecules, telling cells to make certain proteins, vitamin K2 activates these proteins by conferring upon them the physical ability to bind calcium. [...] [Chris Masterjohn has] therefore hypothesized elsewhere that vitamin D toxicity is actually a relative deficiency of vitamin K2.

Ideal would be dietary sources of Vitamin K of course:

IP Logged

sue_g
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #208 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 3:27pm

Thanks Fiesty!  pfw's to you Smiley

Tomorrow will be better!

IP Logged

CHRD
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

NYC
Reply #209 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 8:03pm

Batch wrote on Jul 21st, 2014 at 8:21pm:
Feisty,

Take care,

V/R, Batch

Just to let you know - they will not ship the test to NY. Disappointing...

anyway, my DH suffers from CH. Tonight he begins the Vitamin therapy. Fingers and toes are crossed! O2 has been a godsend - I can't wait to see the results of the vitamins. Thank you for all of the incredible information and support!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #210 - Sep 4th, 2014 at 2:51pm

Feisty,

Regarding your question on how I decided how much vitamin A (retinol) to take in this regimen.  With the exception of vitamin D3, the doses listed for the remaining supplements are consistent with the RDA recommended by several nutritionists and endocrinologists.

The basic guidance on vitamin A (retinol) is a little is good and too much isn't.  Accordingly I stuck with the RDA.

That said, this RDA for vitamin A (retinol) doesn't take into account the larger doses of vitamin D3 we take to prevent CH.  As long as this regimen is providing a good preventative effect for CH, 3000 IU/day vitamin A (retinol) is likely sufficient.

However, if there are still CH problems with a 25(OH)D serum concentration between 80 and 100 ng/mL, I see nothing wrong in taking 5000 to 10,000 IU/day vitamin A (retinol) with the anti-inflammatory regimen... 

This same principal apples to vitamin K2...  The more vitamin D3 you take, the more vitamin K2 you need.

As you've pointed out there's a very beneficial synergistic effect when vitamin D3, vitamin A (retinol) and vitamin K2 are taken together.  You've provided excellent links that other CH'ers should read as well.

Thanks and take care,

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2014 at 10:17pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

feisty
CH.com Veteran

west coast, BC, Canada
Reply #211 - Sep 4th, 2014 at 3:48pm

Thanks for the clarification about how the Regimen is designed Batch Smiley .

IP Logged

Shakey
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Slovenia
Reply #212 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 8:48am

I am about to order the B complex vitamins online.

Could someone please advise on which B complex to buy?Which of the B vitamins are important for the anti inflammatory regimen and in what doses?

Thanks for the help.

J

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #213 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 11:15am

J,

Google "vitamin B 50"

You only need 90 capsules/tablets for the 3-month course.  After that, the Mature-Multi is formulated with sufficient B vitamins to prevent any further deficiencies.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Shakey
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Slovenia
Reply #214 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 12:38pm

Thanks.

The reason I am asking is because there are some differences in the amounts per serving for certain contents among the products. I narrowed it down to a few. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register for instance.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #215 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 6:03pm

Perfect!  You get 50 mg each of the seven B vitamins and 400 mg folic acid.

I spoke with Dr. Stasha Gominak who suggested I add the vitamin B 50 to the anti-inflammatory regimen.  The rational she provided sounded a little strange until I looked into it further. 

The B vitamins help colonize friendly bacteria in the GI tract and they work their magic from their...

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2014 at 6:09pm by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Shakey
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Slovenia
Reply #216 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 5:37am

Allright, thanks. I'll try the regimen with the B-complex. Third time lucky, I hope  Smiley

IP Logged

birdman
CH.com Old Timer

Will try anything once!

x0|staten island|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #217 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 12:39pm

A long overdue update.  Began the regimen two years ago to help break a feisty cycle.  Been taking 10,000 vit d3 along with fish oils, need to return to the calcium and magnesium but I have had a two year break.  I believe I am either returning to a new cycle or in the middle of one.  I have been getting no more than kip4 pain but the full on sweats that I always have had.  It has been 3 weeks and "normally" I am full on into by week 2.  Hoping that the regimen is keeping it at bay or bearable. 
Probably time to re-read the entire regimen and hopefully get it down to kip0.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #218 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 2:26pm

Hey Birdman,

Thanks for the update.  Magnesium is essential in the process of metabolizing vitamin D3 to it's active hormonal form 1,25(OH)2D3, calcitriol.

Zinc plays a similar role and also helps form the vitamin D receptors (VDR) at the genetic level.

Boron also plays a role in improving vitamin D3 absorption.

In short, you need all the vitamin D3 cofactors along with the vitamin D3 and Omega-3 fish oil.

It's not uncommon for a cold, flu, or sub-clinical allergic reaction to trigger the body's immune system into gobbling up 25(OH)D leaving too little to prevent CH.

You may need a 50,000 IU loading dose once a week for a couple weeks along with an increase in your daily vitamin D3 intake  to 15,000 IU/day in order to quell the low level CH hits.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2014 at 2:27pm by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

CH Wife
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #219 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 1:43pm

Ok so my husband recently seen a neurologist who is ok with the vit d regimen but advises against the vit k.  My husband is on verapamil so tachycardia and bp issues so I'm thinking that's why he said not to take vit k.  But upon reading the posts here vit k is one of the major key ingredients to making the body retain the vit d.  Does anyone have any history with this type of situation we are in?

Thanks

IP Logged

birdman
CH.com Old Timer

Will try anything once!

x0|staten island|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #220 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 8:14am

Thanks Batch!!  Would magnesium sup and a multi vitamin be sufficient or not enough??  Already upped the D3 to 15,000 as it has ramped up a bit.  Not full blown yet but heading that way.  Definitely going to do the weekly loading dose starting today.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #221 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 9:38am

Hey Lacie,

Is your husband taking verapamil for a heart condition, CH or both?

There are two kinds of vitamin K available over the counter...  Vitamin K1 - The Klotting vitamin... and vitamin K2.

Vitamin K2 is a family of chemical compounds called menaquinones... They don't affect blood clotting.... but they do help direct serum calcium away from soft tissues and arteries towards building bone mineral density where the K2 acts like a catalyst in bonding calcium to our bones...   

The menaquinones most often associated with vitamin K2 are MK-4 and MK-7. Both are effective but MK-7 has a much longer half life.  I take a combination of the two.

The Life Extension Foundation has an excellent article on vitamin K1 and vitamin K2 at the following link.  Discuss this article with your husband's neurologist.

There's another article on vitamin K2 you should discuss with your husband's neurologist at the following link:

There are several studies that have shown vitamin K2 does not result in abnormal changes blood clotting. 

"Both animal and clinical studies support the conclusion that vitamin K2 has no abnormal hemostatic activity. In one study, vitamin K2 given to rats at a dose of 250 mg/kg body weight per day for 10 days resulted in no appreciable change in blood coagulation characteristics or platelet aggregation.40"

"In a clinical study, 29 elderly, osteoporotic patients were given vitamin K2 (15 mg three times daily, 30 minutes post-meals) for 12 weeks and monitored for any change in hemostatic balance. After 12 weeks of administration, all hemostatic markers remained within normal range.38

In another study, examining the effect of vitamins K2 (45 mg/day) and D3 (1 mcg/day) on BMD in postmenopausal women, hemostatic measures were also examined. Increases in both coagulation and fibrinolysis were noted, but remained within normal range and in balance, with no adverse reactions observed.26"

See the following link for the numbered references above:

Hope this helps...

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #222 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 9:45am

Birdman,

Good question...  Most multi-vitamin formulations contain less than 100 mg of magnesium... usually around 60 mg.  That means taking a 400 mg magnesium capsule plus the multi-vitamin provides a sufficient amount of magnesium.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

sue_g
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #223 - Sep 16th, 2014 at 2:43pm

Hey Batch, Hope this note finds you and Joyce well and pain free Smiley
I had a neuro appt today, took some information with me, nice to say... I've been pf for almost a year. (txs to you).
Test Dates       25(OH)D      PTH
Sep 25/13         86      
Oct 11/13       170      
Nov 8/13        373      
Dec 18/13      155      
Jan 17/14       178      
Mar 18/14       184             3.7
Jun 11/14       182             3.7
Sep 11/14       216             3.9

I'm still overwhelmed with the fact I haven't experienced a CH cycle in almost a year.  Dr Stewart Reid, neurologist here in Kingston, doesn't seem to have any opinion of the Vit D regimen.  I think he's so busy with other neurological patients, CH's are the lower ones on his list. I spoke about K2, he looked confused, didn't seem to even know what K2 was.

At least he did requisitioned a ionized calcium test for me today.

Anyways, one question for you Batch.  What are you taking for K2 and what would you suggest I take with a daily intake of 10,000D3?

Appreciate your continuous support, thanks so much Smiley
Sue
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2014 at 4:08pm by sue_g »  

Tomorrow will be better!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #224 - Sep 17th, 2014 at 4:02pm

Hey Sue,

Your lab results look great!  For CH'ers new to this thread, Sue lives in Canada and the medical diagnostic labs there measure 25(OH)D in nmol/L where labs here in the US measure 25(OH)D in ng/mL.  The conversion factor is 2.5.  In other words, to convert from nmol/L to ng/mL divide by 2.5 and from ng/mL to nmol/L multiply by 2.5.

PTH - The parathyroid hormone serum concentration is a good indication of serum calcium homeostatic processes.  PTH signals the kidneys to metabolize 25(OH)D to 1,25(OH)2D3.  This active hormonal form of vitamin D3 mobilizes calcium from the gut to maintain optimum serum concentrations and a healthy bone mineral density. 

People who are vitamin D3 deficient, a 25(OH)D serum concentration below 75 nmol/L, (30 ng/mL), tend to also have a high PTH serum concentration in order to keep serum calcium within normal reference range. 

As a side note, people with a vitamin D3 deficiency are almost always deficient in magnesium.

The normal reference range for PTH is 1.8 to 7.5 pmol/L.  A PTH serum concentration of 3.7 to 3.9 pmol/L is well within the normal reference range and below the midpoint of 4.5.  This indicates a healthy parathyroid function. This is also consistent with data from other studies involving vitamin D3 therapy at the pharmacological doses we take.

Regarding vitamin K2...  I take the Super K with advanced K2 Complex from Life Extension Foundation.  This provides a healthy dose of vitamin K1 and K2, (both MK-4 and MK-7). 

See the following link for more detail:

I would also point out that some physicians who specialize in vitamin D3 therapy and understand vitamin K2 requirements opine that higher doses of vitamin D3 require higher doses of vitamin K2.  The ratio is 100 ug of vitamin K2 PER 1000 IU of vitamin D.

That means a tablet a day of the LEF Super K with advanced K2 complex is an appropriate dose.

See the VitaminDWiki link on vitamin K2 for additional info:

Hope this helps.  Thanks again for the update and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2014 at 7:44am by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 37
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!