Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 37
Send Topic Print
Anti-Inflammatory Vitamin D3 Regimen and Survey (Read 242193 times)
thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Re: Anti-Inflammatory Vitamin D3 Regimen and Survey
Reply #625 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 5:36am

Hey Batch and Slacker

Spot on with the black pepper.
Black pepper added at the rate of 5% to turmeric increases the bioavailability of the curcumin. It is the formulation I take. Also taking the turmeric/black pepper formulation in warm milk further improves its bioavailability.
Taking the turmeric in powder form is the cheapest way to take curcumin.

Below is a link to the Organic turmeric i take. The price is in British Ł, it is equivalent to $18 for a 1 kilo bag.
It also contains twice the amount of curcumin as ordinary turmeric powder, which makes it ideal for treatments.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I am blessed to have an Ayurvedic practioner as a partner, I learn a lot from her.

All the best
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2016 at 5:39am by thierry »  

IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #626 - Oct 13th, 2016 at 2:34pm

Hey thierry, 

Yea, I've read something about black pepper helping us absorb tumeric more readily.  Thanks for the info.

IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #627 - Oct 13th, 2016 at 2:38pm

Btw, has anyone had any experience with prescription acid reducers or proton pump inhibitors like Protonix aka pantoprazole?

I've been experiencing stomach issues for over a week and actually had to go in to an urgent care last night and the doc prescribed Protonix 20mg for acid reflux.  She thinks it's either that or gallstones.  Seeing my primary on Tuesday but I'm wondering if the Protonix will interfere with the D3 regimen in any way.
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2016 at 2:40pm by slacker032 »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #628 - Oct 14th, 2016 at 1:19pm

Hey Slacker,

The best course of action is to see your PCP.  My gizzard (gallbladder) was loaded with a fist full of gravel (gallstones), a couple of the stones were over an inch in diameter... 

The pain started out as a mild high tummy ache that turned horrific over the course of the next two hours... Two trips to the ER in 3 days.  The first trip they gave me a GI cocktail, a mixture of Maalox, lidocaine, and Donnatal also called the "Green Goddess" and the pain vanished in less than a minute.

I felt so good, I went home, slept like a baby and went to work the next day... I was still feeling great when I returned from work so I grilled a big juicy steak, baked potato with sour cream and chives and asparagus topped with hollandaise sauce.  I went to work the following morning, but by noon, the stomach pain started again so I drove home.

By the time I got home I could barely get out of the car.  When Joyce returned home from work a couple hours later, she took one look at me, shoved me back in the car and off we went to the ER.  We explained they gave me a GI cocktail two nights earlier and it stopped the pain so they prepared another GI cocktail.  It didn't work, 30 minutes after entering the ER I was curled up in a fetal position on the ER floor begging for a  shot of morphine.

Before they would give me the morphine they wanted a radiologist to have a look-see.  The X-ray results were inconclusive so they finally put me on a morphine drip and wheeled me to the hospital's critical care ward for observation. 

Somewhere during the night, one of the ER docs decided to do an ultrasound...  I woke up as they were wheeling me into the OR the next morning.  I was still in La La Land from the morphine, but I did hear the scrub nurse say "gall stones..."

Later that evening, the surgeon explained what had transpired during the surgery.  I'd been prepped for laparoscopic gallbladder removal...  However when the surgeon got a look at my gallbladder through the laparoscope... he said "No Way! We've got to open him up, his gallbladder is bigger than my fist and far too large for the laparoscope."

The next day they shoved a fiberoptic endoscope down my throat to image my stomach lining...  The surgeon showed me the photos... there were scars from three previous ulcers, two active ulcers and the sphincter into duodenum looked like raw hamburger.

It turns out the gallbladder and pancreas share a common duct into the duodenum.  Some gravel (gall stones) from my gizzard had blocked this duct preventing pancreatic juices high in bicarbonate from entering the duodenum to neutralize the stomach acid...   The ulcers were the major source of the stomach pain.  I'm not trying to frighten you...  It's just that stomach pain is not normal.

Regarding the use of proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) like Prilosec, Prevacid, Nexium, and the list goes on as a treatment for gastric reflux/heartburn... I'm not a fan...  With long-term use (> 8 weeks), PPIs can result in deficiencies of magnesium, calcium, iron and vitamin B12 without supplementation.  Accordingly, prolonged use of PPIs has the potential to impact the effectiveness of the anti-inflammatory regimen to prevent CH.

PPIs block the enzyme in the stomach lining that produces hydrochloric acid... We need that acid to break down the food we eat so the nutrients can be absorbed in the small intestine.

PPIs are frequently indicated for up to 8 weeks weeks for peptic ulcer disease, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and erosive esophagitis, but there are several studies indicating their overuse for gastric reflux where people take PPIs year round in stead of the 2 weeks indicated for heart burn and Helicobacter pylori eradication when used with an antibiotic.

Taking PPIs caries risks... and the list of adverse reactions is long. 

Fortunately, most cases of gastric reflux/heartburn are preventable.  The problem is we tend to eat too much during the evening meal then go to bed less than two hours after eating...  The overloaded stomach filled with chime and gastric juices pushes against the esophageal sphincter... and if it leaks just a little, gastric juices enter the esophagus which has no acid resistant lining.  This results in a chemical burn we call heartburn.

Had we remained upright for at least two hours, gravity would have kept the chime and gastric juices (hydrochloric acid)  from pressing against the esophageal sphincter until the stomach completed its part of digestion process.  At that point stomach contents start flowing out of the stomach through the duodenum into the small intestine for absorption...  It's the duodenum where the contents are mixed with a generous helping of pancreatic juices high in bicarbonate to neutralize the stomach acid before it enters the small intestine. 

The lesson here is eat smaller evening meals at least 3 hours prior to bed time... If the symptoms of heartburn arise an hour or two after eating, drink a baking soda tonic...  a half teaspoon of good old Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (sodium bicarbonate) mixed in a  half glass of water. 

Sodium bicarbonate,  helps regulate pH (Hydrogen ion concentration), keeping a substance neither too acidic nor too alkaline. When a baking soda solution comes in contact with an acid like the hydrochloric acid in gastric juices with a pH around 2.0, its natural effect is to neutralize that pH up to 7.4.  Baking soda has the same net effect as a PPI in reducing hydrogen ion concentrations.  However, it works much faster than a PPI so will stop the burning sensation almost immediately.  The directions are on the box.

Have you ever wondered why TV adds for prescription pharmaceuticals and biologics/monoclonal antibodies like Humira spend half their air time listing all the adverse reactions, contraindications, drug interactions and warnings?  Simple, Big Pharma and their K street Lobbyists lost that battle with Congress...  Now watch adds for over the counter preparations... there are no long lists of adverse reactions, contraindications, interactions and warnings...  Why?  Big Pharma and their K street Lobbyists won that battle with Congress.

In 2014 I did an analysis of the relative risk of death from taking prescription and OTC CH interventions as well as OTCs for general aches and pains...  I used the FDA's Adverse Event Reporting System (FAERS) as the barometer.  The results were an eye-opener...  Smiley

From Q1 2004 to Q3 2013, (10 years), the FDA received adverse event reports on the following prescription medications and OTC nutrients used to treat CH and over the counter supplements used to treat general aches, pains and tummy problems:

Deaths due to VERAPAMIL             - 229
Deaths due to DEPAKOTE              - 168
Deaths due to TOPAMAX               -  66
Deaths due to LITHIUM CARBONATE     -  56
Deaths due to LYRICA                - 703
Deaths due to GABAPENTIN            - 202
Deaths due to VALPROIC ACID         - 194
Deaths due to BACLOFEN              - 102
Deaths due to PREDNISONE            - 513
Deaths due to PREDNISOLONE          - 163
Deaths due to COUMADIN              - 458
Deaths due to IMITREX               -  32
Deaths due to INDOMETHACIN          -  18
Deaths due to OCTREOTIDE            -1317
Deaths due to CALAN                 - 208
Deaths due to CLOMIPHENE CITRATE - 8 Intra-uterine Deaths
Deaths due to PROPRANOLOL HCL          -  67
Deaths due to ATENOLO                  -  62
Deaths due to AMITRIPTYLINE            - 184
Deaths due to DIHYDROERGOTAMINE        -   0
Deaths due to OXYGEN                   -   0
Deaths due to PAXIL                    - 357

Over the Counter PPIs and sleep aids
Deaths due to LIPITOR                  - 865
Deaths due to CRESTOR                  - 238
Deaths due to NEXIUM                   - 357
Deaths due to AMBIEN                   - 243
Deaths due to PRILOSEC                 -   0

Over The Counter NSAIDs                  
Deaths due to NAPROXEN (Aleve)  - 142
Deaths due to ASPIRIN           - 645
Deaths due to TYLENOL           - 964
Deaths due to EXCEDRIN          - 500
Deaths due to IBUPROFEN         - 661

Over The Counter Supplements/Nutrients
Deaths due to MELATONIN       -  0
Deaths due to MAGNESIUM OXIDE -  0
Deaths due to CALCIUM CITRATE - Not Listed
Deaths due to BORON        -   Not Listed
Deaths due to VITAMIN A (Retinol)  -  6
Deaths due to VITAMIN B (Complex)  -  2
Deaths due to VITAMIN B 12  -  0
Deaths due to VITAMIN C   -  0
Deaths due to Vitamin E   -  2
Deaths due to VITAMIN D3  -  0
VITAMIN D3 TOXICITY       -  2
Deaths due to VITAMIN K   -   2
Deaths due to VITAMIN K2   - Not Listed
Deaths due to ZINC OXIDE   - Not Listed

Hope this helps.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2016 at 5:52pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #629 - Oct 14th, 2016 at 5:03pm

Batch,

Wow...you're right about that list being eye opening. 

Totally forgot about baking soda tonics.  I'm going to try that 3 times a day between meals.  I'm also going to try to stop vaping with my electronic cigarette.

Btw, this website might be an interesting resource for us:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I think it's free to sign up to see the rankings for each supplement.  I just ordered their #1 magnesium supplement from Life Extension:

« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2016 at 9:38am by slacker032 »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #630 - Oct 14th, 2016 at 6:20pm

Hey Slacker,

Good move giving the baking soda tonic a try...  Thanks for the labdoor.com link.  Nifty site.  I'd like to see their rating criteria...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #631 - Oct 14th, 2016 at 6:44pm

Batch,

Here's a little more info from their site:

FWIW, they are a FOR-PROFIT website.  I'm not going to take their rankings as gospel but I figure they might be a little more reliable than Amazon reviews.

« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2016 at 6:49pm by slacker032 »  

IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Reply #632 - Oct 14th, 2016 at 7:27pm

slacker032 wrote on Oct 13th, 2016 at 2:38pm:
Btw, has anyone had any experience with prescription acid reducers or proton pump inhibitors like Protonix aka pantoprazole?

I've been experiencing stomach issues for over a week and actually had to go in to an urgent care last night and the doc prescribed Protonix 20mg for acid reflux.  She thinks it's either that or gallstones.  Seeing my primary on Tuesday but I'm wondering if the Protonix will interfere with the D3 regimen in any way.

Hi Slacker.

I have been on the D3 regimen for almost three years with great success, and for the last 18 months, I have been taking Prilosec for esophageal erosion from GERD. I also have Barretts Esophagus, which can lead to cancer. PPI's can be very effective for my conditions, but they are total hell to get off of. If you stop suddenly, you can get a rebound effect which is worse than the original problem. I am slowly tapering off--and I mean glacially slow--as in taking a year or more. I still have more than enough stomach acid to absorb all of the D3 ingredients. My blood tests have been in the ideal range. So don't take the PPI's lightly. But if you need them, you need them. Just go into it with your eyes wide open. Good luck with your diagnosis.

Patti

IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #633 - Oct 14th, 2016 at 7:39pm

Patti,

You and Batch have me convinced me not to jump headfirst into taking a PPI.  Thanks for your input and I hope your tapering off of it isn't too rough.
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2016 at 7:39pm by slacker032 »  

IP Logged

hoosierdaddy
CH.com Junior

Are we having fun yet?

x0|Allison Park|USA||0|0|PA
Reply #634 - Oct 16th, 2016 at 10:01am

Batch,
       I'm back in cycle and back on the vitamins. It defiantly lessons the severity and frequency but I am getting sick. Especially at night.  I got in to the headache center in Pittsburgh and I'm seeing Dr. Kaniecki. He agreed that the Vitamins were a good alternative to Verapamil but wants me to add 10mg of melitonin to it. He gave me an order for the blood test but I have not got it yet.
      My question is is the nausea common? Any tricks to get it under control?

Thanks
Greg

Seriously???

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #635 - Oct 16th, 2016 at 4:52pm

Hey Greg,

Good question.  Nausea is not a typical response to the anti-inflammatory regimen.  What we usually see are a few cases of a mild upset stomach, usually due to the Omega-3 fish oil, or loose bowel due to a condition called osmotic diarrhea caused by the magnesium. 

The best course of action in your case is to use the process of elimination to find the culprit supplement by skipping the Omega-3 fish oil or the magnesium for a couple days to see what happens.  If the nausea persists, skip the other supplement for a couple days.

If the nausea still persists, I'd start a course of probiotic.  I take Natures Bounty Probiotic 10.  The probiotic will help re-colonize your GI tract with friendly colonies of bacteria and also help rebuild your immune system.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Reply #636 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 2:44am

Hey Slacker,
thank you for the link to labdoor. it's most interesting.
I notice that their #1 magnesim -Life extension magnesium caps- is priced at $11 with free postage to US.  The same product is at $7.50 on iherb. the postage is not free on iherb for me in Ireland but it is very very cheap. the postage might be free for postage to US, if not, i guess it would be very cheap too, especially when ordering a few supplements from them in the same order.
Most of the supplements needed for Batch's D3 regimen ranked at #1 on Labdoor, are a good bit cheaper on iherb. Might be something to look into so as to save a few $s.
I'll now definitely use Labdoor when looking for a supplement and make a more informed decision on the quality of the products.
Thank you
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2016 at 2:46am by thierry »  

IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #637 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 9:41am

Hey thierry,

No prob. 

I've actually ordered from iHerb before and their prices are indeed very competitive.  Shipping is free in the US if the order is over $20 or $4 otherwise.

Another good site is Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register which has free US shipping on all orders with no minimum.  I get most of my stuff from them or Amazon, depending on price.
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2016 at 10:11am by slacker032 »  

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #638 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 1:10am

I think that many of us are aware that nitrates are not good for clusterheads. Tho this article references migraines...it probably applies to us too. Personally...I started probiotics about a year ago...have seen a direct reductive benefit for chemo induced allergies...not so sure re CH as I mostly shadow nowadays.

Batch has indicated more than once that much of the immune system resides in the gut. I have ALWAYS believed...even 30 yrs ago... that immune function and ch are linked.....

Best

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #639 - Nov 15th, 2016 at 12:01pm

Good People of Clusterville,

I'll be doing another harvest of the online survey data from CHers taking the anti-inflammatory regimen with 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 and cofactors to prevent their CH. 

If you've started this regimen and stayed on it for at least 30 days or more and not taken this survey, please do so asap.

If you started the survey but didn't complete and submit, please go back to the link below and pickup where you left off.  If your previous entries are not there, please enter them again and submit. 

We can only use data from surveys that participants have submitted so please make sure you click the "Submit" button.  Thanks.

To start or reenter this survey, click on the following link:

My goal is to complete this data harvest in early December to have it ready for submission in an abstract for the 20th Vitamin D Workshop in Orlando FL, March 28-31, 201​7.

It's opportunities like the Vitamin D Workshop that give wider dissemination of debilitating nature of cluster headache and that the anti-inflammatory regimen with 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 and the cofactors is a safe and effective preventative.

I'll be updating page 1 of this thread with the latest data and charts from this survey.

Thank you and take care,

V/R, Batch

« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2016 at 12:16pm by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #640 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 6:42pm

Well! It's been a long road trying to find the culprit of my constipation, but a month or so ago I stopped taking 5000iu D3 soft gels/day together with Life Extension K2, and started taking Swisse Vitamin K2 + D3 4/day. I also changed from Magnesium Citrate to Magnesium Chelate 400mg/day, and all's good now  Smiley

Cheers Hoppy
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2016 at 9:55pm by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #641 - Nov 25th, 2016 at 8:05pm

It's been 5 years pretty much to the day, since I began this vitamin regimen. My episodic cycles are usually every other year for past 37 years.

In 2011, I tried this vitamin regimen and for whatever reason, it never helped my CH's. Discussed at great length with Batch, could not figure it out despite score of 103 ng/mL on D3 test. After two horrifying months with suicide on my mind daily, my cycle ended and Thank God I have been out of cycle since.

Due to two recent surgeries, unrelated to CH's, I started this vitamin regimen again as a precaution to starting a cycle and for overall health benefits.

Although this vitamin regimen did not work for me 5 years ago, that does not necessarily mean that it will not work in future, nor does it mean that it will not help other CH sufferers.

It certainly provides excellent health benefits regardless of CH's. I just completed survey and recommend taking the vitamins suggested that have helped so many people afflicted by this evil disease.

Best of luck to us all Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

smarie
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #642 - Nov 25th, 2016 at 8:32pm

I have been on the vitamin regimen for 3 of my 4 years with CH with no relief from the 2 am CH wake-up call and subsequent suffering for 3 or more days.  After my most recent CH which came and went for 4 consecutive days and kept me out of work, I added Flax seed oil to my intake of A, B, C, D, E, CoQ10, etc. That was 23 days ago. 23 DAYS PF! I had previously been taking Krill oil and/or fish oil to no avail. Perhaps some Cluster warriors will respond better to Flax seed oil as well.
Prayers for you all.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #643 - Nov 26th, 2016 at 12:19pm

Hey Smarie,

Thanks for the update and feedback on Flax seed oil.  Have you had a lab test of your 25(OH)D serum concentration?

Thanks again and take care,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Reply #644 - Nov 26th, 2016 at 12:41pm

Hi, This is the oil softgels I use

they contain non GMO Borage oil, fish oil and flax oil. They are a bit pricey but do the job well. With these I feel I am getting a good product for my buck.

IP Logged

eeallen
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #645 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 11:24am

Hi Batch, and all,

I've posted one time here in the past, and have been browsing periodically for years, and for whatever reason am just now discovering this D3 regimen. 

In haste, I called my wife and asked her to bring home some Omega 3 fish oil pills, vitamin D-3 and Vitamin A.  I also have plenty of children benadryl here that I am considering trying.

My question is, the Vitamin A caplets that we have are 10,000 IU.  Is that too much in a harmful way?  Or is that perhaps just overkill?   I've already taken 2 of the 10,000 IU Vitamin A caplets, as I just started the regimen yesterday, but if you feel that is too much to a point of being detrimental, I will go look for smaller caps.

I know that it's said a lot in here, but your contributions here, just in 2 days of reading, I can't even put into words.  incredible.

My short backstory, is I'm episodic, 38 year old male, got my first one at 19.  Get a cycle every other year, which normally lasts 2-4 months of daily, sometimes multiple daily attacks.  I am on a small 180 mg Verapamil daily, as well as my usual oxygen and ice-pack on the neck therapy when I get a hit.  I also take a daily Claritin that I started last yeah leading up to this cycle, as most of my cycles tend to come in the spring, and I was trying to control my allergies.

Thanks so much,
eric
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2016 at 11:26am by eeallen »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #646 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 12:23pm

Hey Eric,

Welcome to the anti-inflammatory regimen and good question on vitamin A.  The short answer is you're ok taking 10,000 IU/day vitamin A (retinol)... 

We only need a little vitamin A (retinol) so the regimen calls for 3000 IU/day (900 µg/day).  Given your vitamin A tablets are 10,000 IU, taking one of these tablets every three days will be fine.

Generally, signs of vitamin A toxicity are associated with long-term consumption of vitamin A in excess of 10 times the RDA (8,000-10,000 μg RAE/day or 25,000-33,000 IU/day) so you're safe taking 10,000 IU/day vitamin A.

The only possible problem (and it's a small one) comes with competition for available vitamin D receptor (VDR) sites on target genes in nerve cell nuclei within the hypothalamus and trigeminal ganglia.  In simple terms, there are only so many seats at the table so taking more vitamin A than needed could block some of these sites and as a result, lessen the vitamin D3 preventative effect.

Regarding the rest of the anti-inflammatory regimen treatment protocol, If you haven't experienced a favorable response, start the two-week vitamin D3 loading schedule.  Doing so will elevate your serum 25(OH)D safely and rapidly to the target concentration of 80 ng/mL.

Regarding Clariton (Loratadine) for your allergies.  It's a second-generation antihistamine (the non-drowsy type) so it doesn't pass through the blood brain barrier as effectively as a first-generation antihistamine like Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) to block H1 histamine receptors on nerve cells within the hypothalamus and trigeminal ganglia. If you're slow to respond to the anti-inflammatory regimen, give Children's liquid Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) a try.  12.5 mg in the morning and a second dose before bed should do the trick.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2016 at 12:31pm by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #647 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 9:50am

Anyone have experience with CoQ10?  Friend of mine (episodic) had it recommended by his neuro and he's been in remission for over 2 years since starting it.

This is his regimen:

CoQ10 200 mg twice a day
magnesium citrate/malate 500 mg twice a day
Magnesium 300 mg
melatonin 5mg
2 mg of folic acid, 25 mg of vitamin B6 and 400 micrograms of B12
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2016 at 10:05am by slacker032 »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #648 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 12:32pm

Hey Slacker,

Good question...  and what appears to be a healthy regimen...

However, without more information from related studies and with a population of one, making a case for causality...  i.e., Co-Enzyme Q10 (CoQ10) prevents CH is a non-starter and more likely a coincidence.

That said... there have been a few studies using CoQ10 to prevent migraine headache so I wouldn't dismiss its use in preventing CH out of hand...

What several well constructed studies have found is there's a clear relationship between heart attacks and a CoQ10 deficiency...  even more so if taking statins...

That was good enough for me on the healthy heart front...  Accordingly, I've been taking CoQ10 since 2008.  That was two years before starting vitamin D3 in 2010... My CH didn't stop until I started taking 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3.

Take care,

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2016 at 12:40pm by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #649 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 2:52pm

Hey Batch,

How much CoQ10 are you taking?  And do you take it with the rest of the regimen with your biggest meal?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 37
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!