Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 37
Send Topic Print
Anti-Inflammatory Vitamin D3 Regimen and Survey (Read 239740 times)
slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Re: Anti-Inflammatory Vitamin D3 Regimen and Survey
Reply #750 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 3:44pm

Got it.  Thanks Batch.

IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #751 - Dec 27th, 2018 at 9:41am

So I just started another cycle a couple of days ago after ending my previous one about a month ago.  This is definitely out of the  ordinary.  I'm usually not due for another cycle until around March or April.

I cut my collar bone on a lift gate on Monday (stupid story) and had to get some stitches.  I wonder if that has anything to do with this cycle.  Or maybe it was the tetanus shot?

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #752 - Dec 27th, 2018 at 2:56pm

Hey Slacker,

Another great question.  There are several studies that have found trauma (your lift gate kerfuffle) and surgery can result in a drop in serum 25(OH)D concentrations by as much as 40% up to 70%.  A dip like that could easily drop your 25(OH)D below the therapeutic level that keeps you CH pain free.

I would be tempted to take the 50,000 IU loading dose for 3 to 4 days then drop back to one capsule every 5 days for a week then taper to one capsule every 6th day for an average daily dose of 10,000 IU/day.  The Bio-Tech D3-50 50,000 IU water soluble vitamin D3 capsule is clearly more potent than 50,000 IU of the liquid soft gel oil based formulation.  I'm sure this is due to faster and more complete absorption with the water soluble formulation.

Accordingly, seeing your PCP/GP for lab tests of your serum 25(OH)D, calcium and PTH is a prudent course of action when you've taken the Bio-Tech D3-50 for a month.  The results will help you calibrate your response to the Bio-Tech D3-50.

There are other steps to take in getting your CH back under control.  2000 mg/day turmeric (curcumin) has proven helpful to several CHers as well as 300 to 600 mg/day CoQ10 and a good probiotic.  I also bump my vitamin C intake to 6 grams a day (1000 mg every 2 hours).  Don't forget the 2.5 liters of water a day.  Another thing to try is fasting for 24 to 36 hours.  I need to do this big time after eating like a horse this Christmas season...

Take care and please keep us posted.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2018 at 2:57pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #753 - Dec 27th, 2018 at 4:17pm

Hey Batch,

I actually took a 200,000 IU loading dose (50,000 on days 1-2 and 25,000 on days 3-5) back in the start of November when I started that cycle and then was taking the Biotech 50,000 IU every 3 days until the cycle started tapering off.  I was actually taking the Biotech every 4 days since then.

I'll try taking it everyday over the next 4 days.

I've also added Benadryl every 4 hours just in case it's an allergic reaction to something.

Thanks as always.
« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2018 at 4:18pm by slacker032 »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #754 - Dec 27th, 2018 at 10:34pm

Slacker,

Don't forget the lab tests for serum 25(OH)D, calcium and PTH.  I was chasing the ace trying to get my CH under control in june of this year... and ran my serum 25(OH)D up to 188 ng/mL... My calcium was within range and PTH low so my PCP had no problems.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #755 - Dec 27th, 2018 at 10:53pm

Batch,

My PCP has been reluctant to request those tests when I've asked.  I'm probably going to look for a new doc after the new year.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #756 - Dec 28th, 2018 at 3:42am

Shazbot!

As my first Marine Corps DI used to say in Boot Camp... YGBSM and ICFBI!

If my doctor gave me that line of crap, I'd be tempted to ask "What about hypercalcemia from taking more than 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 don't you understand?"

A kinder more gentle prodding...  "I'm taking more than 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 to control my cluster headache and need lab tests for my serum 25(OH)D, calcium and PTH so I can adjust the vitamin D3 dose accordingly." At that point I'd give my doctor a copy of the anti-inflammatory regimen CH preventative treatment protocol from the following link:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Of course the first retort is a bluff, but your doctor may not know it...  You'd need to take 50,000 IU/day vitamin D3 for more than three months to push yourself into hypercalcemia (too much serum calcium) a.k.a., vitamin D3 intoxication/toxicity.

If there's no joy after the second gambit and pamphlet drop on your doctor, you can always order a DIY home blood spot test kit for 25(OH)D at the following link for $65.  No Rx required.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
ored-research

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2018 at 7:18am by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #757 - Dec 29th, 2018 at 7:34pm

Thanks Batch.  I'll take another crack at getting the tests.  If not, I'll move on to another doctor. 
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2018 at 7:35pm by slacker032 »  

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #758 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 10:35pm

G'day Batch, I was just wondering, when taking the BIO TECH D3-50 in one hit, once a week, does by taking the K2-M7 daily, still direct the vitamin D to where it's supposed to go "Your bones", so you don't get a calcium build up.

Cheers Hoppy

IP Logged

John2
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #759 - Jan 19th, 2019 at 4:35pm

Hi Hoppy, Fancy seeing you here! Did you eventually get your D3 blood test numbers back yet? It would be interesting to see what they are long-term @ 5000IU D3 dosing which you regularly report on your FB page.

IP Logged

Miguel Amaral
CH.com Newbie

Porto , Portugal
Reply #760 - Jan 19th, 2019 at 4:54pm

Hi everyone ,

Hope you are all ok . Long time since last posted news so I'll recap my story quickly ....

Was chronic since 1997 to 2009, first misdiagnosed (for 3 years ) then treated with "regular" headache drugs that never really helped ... normally an attack every two days, sometimes every day for two or three days ....never had a break bigger then 6/7 days without pain and normally my  worst attacks were KIP 7 .....

Early 2009 started acunpuncture . First 3  months no relief but then the attacks started to fade away and by the end of 2009 was pain free . This lasted until July 2013 when without warning I was badly hit again and with strong KIP 9's and one KIP 10 which ended me up in the ER ....
It was at this moment I discovered this forum .
I tested the D3 regimen a few months later but it didn't really went well by that time . Some heavy nausea & lack of apetite that made me stop taking the vitamins ....
I kept insisting with the acupuncture and luckily that cycle ended up and I was PF from late 2014 until past December 2 .....

So now in a new cycle and having strong attacks again I decided to retry the D3 ... Didn't had the chance to have blood tests done before starting but knew from the past that my values are low . Tested on August 2014 , peak of summer time here in Portugal with plenty of sunshine and my value was 28.3 ng/mL ....
Started the two week loading schedule on the 26th Dec  switching to the maintenance value of 10.000 UI on 8th Jan .
I'm not pain free yet but what I can assure is that the intensity of the attacks  droped by at least 60% and they are quite easy to abort for now ...

Had blood tests done yesterday, Jan 18th and received results two hours ago :

25 Hidrox Vit D  : 99 ng/mL
Calcium and mag  are OK within refence values
TSH : 1.279 mUI/L - so quite low within the refence window

I am keeping the 10.000 Ui and the cofactors and hope that the cycle will eventually close in a near future ....

I will keep posting news . Thanks all for the ongoing support though this forum and specially to Batch for the work and time putted into the D3 regimen ...

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #761 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 12:19am

John, It was 120nmol/L (48ng/ml), but now I'm back in the green zone, and free from the beast.

Hoppy

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #762 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 1:29am

Hoppy wrote on Jan 21st, 2019 at 12:19am:
I'm back in the green zone, and free from the beast.

Wonderful update - long may you stay CH pain free.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #763 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 6:11pm

Hoppy,

Sorry to be so slow...  Roughly 600 IU/day goes into building bone mineral density (BMD) where vitamin K2 MK-7 comes into play acting as a catalyst.  Serum calcium concentration is primarily controlled by calcium homeostasis, a physiological control mechanism that maintains serum calcium in a very narrow range.  This is where the parathyroid glands and the Parathyroid Hormone (PTH) comes into play.

As serum calcium is consumed and its concentrations drop, the parathyroid glands sense this condition and release more PTH.  This PTH in turn, signals the kidneys to hydroxylate 25(OH)D3 to 1,25(OH)2D3, calcitriol, the hormonal form of vitamin D3.  Serum calcitriol goes to the gut to pull out calcium and make it available to the bloodstream increasing calcium serum concentration. 

If there's insufficient calcium in the gut, calcium homeostasis pulls it from bones.  This happens all the time in a process of put and take...  What we want in this put and take process is to make sure more calcium is put into BMD than taken out... This is why the anti-inflammatory regimen calls for a minimum of 200 mg/day calcium.  The rest of our daily calcium needs come from dietary sources.

When serum calcium concentration approaches the normal reference range upper limit, the parathyroid glands sense this condition and slow the release of PTH and that maintains serum calcium within its normal reference range.

There's another enzymatic process that prevents too much serum 1,25(OH)2D3 which prevents excess calcium in the bloodstream.  This enzyme hydroxylates 1,25(OH)2D3 a third time to 1,24,25(OH)3D3, an inactive vitamin D3 metabolite that's catabolized (broken down) and eliminated in urine.

Bottom line, it's very difficult to experience vitamin D3 intoxication/toxicity at long term doses up to 40,000 IU/day as long as calcium homeostasis is functioning normally.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #764 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 6:30pm

Hey Miguel,

Thanks for the update.  Your serum 25(OH)D appears high enough so there's likely something else preventing a CH pain free response.  The two most common reasons are diet and some form of allergy from your environment or diet.

Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) at 25 mg every 4 hours for a week to 10 days should take care of airborne allergens.  Next comes diet... The Atkins-Ketogenic diet with zero sugars, zero wheat products and restricted carbohydrates works best. 

You can eat all the free range organic meats, poultry and eggs you want.  A serving of wild caught fish a week is great.  You can also eat all the NON GMO organic fruits (dark berries and red grapes) along with green and colored veggies you want. 

Avoid grain oils like Canola and Corn oil as they're usually made with GMO grains so are loaded with the herbicide glyphosate (Roundup).  Olive oil, avocado oil, organic butter and my favorite extra virgin coconut oil are all good types of fats.

Another problem deals with the vitamin D receptor (VDR).  In this case, 500 mg/day quercetin and 500 mg/day resveratol help make more VDR available and increase it's affinity for vitamin D3.  Doubling the Omega-3 fish oil dose and adding 1000 mg/day Turmeric (curcumin) has helped many CHers with problems like yours.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #765 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 11:44pm

Batch, thanks for clearing that up for me, I was a wee bit worried, after reading a comment, that if you don't drink milk or eat cheese during the day when taking 10000iu vitamin D3/day, and in my case 50000iu once a week, you need to take a daily K2-M7 supplement, which I do, and I was worried how the daily K2-M7 would work for the remaining 6 days of the week.

Cheers Hoppy

« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2019 at 3:39am by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Miguel Amaral
CH.com Newbie

Porto , Portugal
Reply #766 - Jan 23rd, 2019 at 2:28pm

Hi Batch ,

Thank you for yr input , I'm looking to the diet already !
I'm feeling better and better as the days go by so I believe I'm in the right path ...

I'll update again in a few days ....
Thanks!

IP Logged

thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Reply #767 - Jan 28th, 2019 at 2:01pm

Hi Miguel,
delighted to hear you're on the way to becoming Pain Free.
You're in good hands with Batch
Smiley

IP Logged

Miguel Amaral
CH.com Newbie

Porto , Portugal
Reply #768 - Feb 2nd, 2019 at 12:28pm

Hi all,  quick update :

40 days since the start of the D3 reg
14 days since last visit   Wink

looking good  ....  Cool

IP Logged

boriskaz
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Tel Aviv|Israel||0|0|
Reply #769 - Feb 13th, 2019 at 9:30am

Hello to all in this string about Vitamin D. I'd like to simply share my experience and without any conclusions just so another story is told, which could help others. I am a 58 year old male who has had cluster headaches since the age of 19 periodically once every 1.5-3 years (lucky me). When I get into my cycle the attacks are very heavy and I use preventative Verapamil sometimes at extremely high doses of up to 720 mg per day, but also in various attacks going down to 240 Verapamil Slow Release a day. I also use Imitrex Injections (I divide the normal amount into 3 parts as the full syringe is far too much).

I started with the help of some advice from Batch in 2014 with the Vitamin D Regime as described, mainly due to somehow not getting the same results of prevention through high doses of Verapamil started the regime. I do not know if I can correlate the end of my cycle to the Vitamin D, but after having had a cycle which was heavy and with Verapamil not working properly in 2014 the D regime seemed to help finish my cycle within about 3-4 weeks after having been in this cycle for already 4 months (my cycles are normally between 4-6 months long).

I have also used the Vitamin D Regime again for a cluster attack in 2016/2017 and had not much of a result I felt. I did this time start taking the Vitamin D regime right as of the beginning of my cycle and as it went on after approx. 3 months stopped as it did not seem to help. This cycle lasted for 5 months.

I have just been on the longest cycle of my life yet having started with the cycle in August 2018 and only 4 weeks ago, out of frustration started with the Vitamin D and 3.5 weeks later my cycle stopped. I have just received Vitamin D blood results 2 days ago and my D-25 level is at 135.

To cut a long story shorter – I believe that this regime helps and works somehow, maybe not to take the cycle away right away, but definitely to help stop it. So I am a believer and think it helped me since finding out about it.

Hope this can help someone out there in fighting the beast...

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #770 - Feb 13th, 2019 at 11:36pm

Hi boriskaz, is that 135ng/ml or 135nmol/L? if it's the later then that's to low, it needs to be around the 200nmol/L for the vitamin D regimen to keep working, that's why it's a daily lifetime commitment.

Cheers Hoppy

IP Logged

boriskaz
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Tel Aviv|Israel||0|0|
Reply #771 - Feb 14th, 2019 at 2:52am

Thanks for your reply...it is 135 ng/ml. So hopefully enough to have made a difference.

My cluster cycle stopped now, but unsure about how to finish the Vitamin D Regimen or how to continue throughout my daily life and routine...? I am still on the daily regimen with 50,000 a day...

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #772 - Feb 14th, 2019 at 4:29am

Boriskaz,

You should stay on the D3 Regimen permanently, at a daily maintenance dose of 10K., with all the other co-factors.

If you do, it is likely you will avoid any cycles at all. It is also great for general well-being. I have been on it constantly since 2015 and I haven’t even had a cold in that time.

Best,

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #773 - Feb 14th, 2019 at 1:41pm

Hey Boriskaz,

Thank you for the great post with your feedback on the anti-inflammatory regimen CH preventative treatment protocol.  I'll use it to reflect over 8 years experience with this regimen, from hundreds of feedback reports like yours and the results from the online survey of CHers taking this regimen to prevent their CH.  This survey has been running continuously since December of 2011.  This information provides us with the following important lessons learned about the anti-inflammatory regimen CH preventative treatment protocol

1.  Lesson learned...  This regimen is not a cure for CH or migraine so it must be taken year round for an optimum CH preventative effect. This applies primarily to episodic CHers.  Chronic CHers don't really have an option. 

Stopping this regimen after an episodic cycle ends means several days to weeks of painful headaches after the next cycle starts while waiting for 25(OH)D serum concentrations to build back up to a therapeutic level that prevents CH.  We're talking roughly 50 cents a day for the basic regimen so what price would you put on avoiding the terrible pain of daily CH when next cycle starts?

2.  Which is more important, the vitamin D3 dose or 25(OH)D serum concentration response?  This is a loaded question as both are important with respect to a favorable CH response or a complete cessation of CH.  I'll define a favorable response as a reduction in CH frequency from an average of 3 CH/day down to 3 to 4 CH/week.

Having been there... we can live with a favorable response and function almost normally in daily work and home environments.  That said, this is not the goal of this treatment protocol.  That goal is a CH pain free existence. 

3.  Lesson learned... It's important to understand that the vitamin D3 dosage and 25(OH)D response will vary for individual CHers as will the 25(OH)D therapeutic response serum concentration that results in either a favorable response or a complete cessation of CH. 

Colds (although rare on this regimen), bacterial and viral infections, allergic reactions, tooth extractions, dental implants, trauma and surgery will all cause a drop in 25(OH)D serum concentrations from 10% to as much as 70% for surgery. If your 25(OH)D serum concentration is at or near the tipping point that keeps you CH pain free... any one of these events will cause your CH to return. 

The lesson learned here is maintain a reserve 25(OH)D serum concentration above the tipping point.  So how much is that?  The answer is it varies from CHer to CHer, but a good starting point is a 25(OH)D serum concentration around 80 ng/mL.

Don't be afraid to take your 25(OH)D higher with a higher vitamin D3 maintenance dose to prevent your CH.  Just work with your PCP/GP while doing this with labs for serum 25(OH)D, calcium and PTH.

I've maintained my 25(OH)D serum concentration between 150 ng/mL (375 nmol/L) and 188 ng/mL (470 nmol/L) through most of 2018.  My PCP is OK with this as long as my serum calcium remains within its normal reference range... and it has.

4.  Lesson learned...  It's important to see your PCP/GP to discuss this regimen and obtain the lab test for 25(OH)D serum concentration.  Knowing your baseline 25(OH)D will give you a good indication of the total loading dose needed to get you to a therapeutic serum concentration sufficient to prevent your CH.

5.  Lesson learned... It's important to start this regimen with the 12-Day accelerated vitamin D3 loading schedule at 50,000 IU/day for 12 days.  The following chart illustrates the difference in 25(OH)D time course response between starting with the 12-Day loading schedule or just taking a maintenance dose of 10,000 IU/day.

The following chart from the survey of 257 CHers illustrates illustrates the normal distribution curve in green for 25(OH)D lab tests at a vitamin D3 dose of 10,000 IU/day and the cumulative probability curve in blue for CHers responding to the anti-inflammatory regimen.

The green line illustrates the mean 25(OH)D response to a vitamin D3 dose of 10,000 IU/day is around 80 ng/mL.  The blue S-shaped sigmoid curve tells us there's a greater probability of a favorable response as the 25(OH)D serum concentration rises. 

6.  Lesson learned.  This chart indicates some CHers will need a higher vitamin D3 dose and a higher 25(OH)D serum concentration for a CH pain free response...  and the only way you'll know that is with the lab test of your 25(OH)D serum concentration.

7.  The lesson learned. See your PCP/GP for lab tests of your serum 25(OH)D, calcium and PTH 30 days after start of regimen.  If you're still getting hit... Do Something!  There's almost always a reason or reasons why this regimen is not working to prevent your CH.

a. Many CHers have found a few days at a 50,000 IU/day loading dose, a higher maintenance dose above 10,000 IU/day and additional magnesium (800 mg/day) can be effective in stopping CH.

b.  A week to 10 day course of a first-generation antihistamine like Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) can lessen the effects of an allergic reaction.

c.  Additional supplements can help.  They include:
      1000 mg/day Turmeric (Curcumin)
      300-900 mg/day CoQ10
      4 to 6 grams/day lipophilic vitamin C
      Probiotic
      500 mg/day Quercetin
      500 mg/day Resveratrol

Why are the vitamin D3 conutrients so important?  The following chart gives us an indication why.

The dashed line normal distribution curve comes from the Grassrootshealth *D Action program with 1500 lab tests for 25(OH)D from people taking 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 but no conutrients.  The solid line comes from our online survey where CHers took 10,000 IU/day plus the conutrients.  As you can see, the conutrients result in a higher 25(OH)D response of 16 ng/mL (25%) higher than the same dose without the conutrients.

8.  The lesson learned here is take all the conutrients daily.

9.  Lesson learned.  Diet is an important part of the anit-inflammatory regimen.  Atkins or a ketogenic diet will work just fine.  No sugars, no wheat products and limited carbohydrates for starters.  Try to eat organic free range meats, poultry eggs and wild caught fish.  Make sure your veggies are organic and NON GMO. Limit fruits to dark berries and grapes.   Be sure to drink at least 2.5 liters of water a day.
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2019 at 1:57pm by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

boriskaz
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Tel Aviv|Israel||0|0|
Reply #774 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 8:02am

THANKS FOR THIS BATCH ! I will most certainly build this into my diet. I am eating well already and have reduced red meat and chicken and am also ensuring to eat healthy and swim 5 x a week for at least 1 hour. So living healthy.

I am determined ot beat the devil/beast and have started experimenting with mushrooms now...

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Boris

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 37
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!