Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 9th, 2024, 8:14pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Whats all the Kudzuuuuuuuu about??? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Whats all the Kudzuuuuuuuu about???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Whats all the Kudzuuuuuuuu about???  (Read 65696 times)
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Whats all the Kudzuuuuuuuu about???
« Reply #100 on: Jun 15th, 2006, 10:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 15th, 2006, 1:12am, munozali wrote:

A specific question about Kudzu: Does anyone know if Kudzu can cause constipation?  

Actually, it tends to have the opposite effect for most. You may want to try a laxative to, um, unplug... and then the kudzu should keep you regular (and gassy, too).  
Read all you can here, Roberto. We are our own best advocates when it comes to treatments. The more you inform yourself, the better prepared you are for battle.  
As far as your cycle changing... CH morphs and changes all the time... most of us have come to expect the unexpected.  Undecided
pf wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Jessie
New Board Newbie
Hong_Kong 

Email

« Reply #101 on: Jun 15th, 2006, 1:03pm »

Hello Everyone..

My husband has CH. He is 30 years old and he's been dealing with it since his childhood, let say over 15 years. He saw a doctor once when he was secondary school and last one 2 years ago. Well, 15 years ago one was a disaster I will not even talk about it. Meanwhile we've been married for 5 years. The first time I saw him agonizing with the pain, first I said "ok , he is the mummy boy and can not handle(deal) the pain" but after then I understood that he is not..And I did some research over the internet and found that he has CH.But at that time I could not find any useful information for him..Anyways, the last visit we had to  doctor (btw, he doesn't like to see doctors anytime) confirmed that he has CH. She prescribed him some anti depressant drugs and the pain killer which don't work for him. She basically said there is no cure for CH. So he dissapointed and accepted the reality.  
Two months ago his period started again. He usually have 2-3 or 4 periods especially on season change (winter,summer,spring, fall) and one night, on the 3rd day in his period, he woke me up in tears and begged me to do something to stop the pain while he is "dancing" and having kip 9. Well I searched the internet once again desperately to find anything will work with him and thanks God I found this website and read all over everything.  
I read about Kudzu.Since we are living in Hong Kong, I thought it would be easy for us to find it. Next morning I rushed to a pharmacy and asked them for Kudzu pills. But unfortunately I could not find it, I even checked with the distributor company of Nature's Way but they said they do not import it into Hong Kong. Anyway, pharmacist recommended me to use Kudzu granules instead of pills.I bought couple packs with different brand names (different chinese manufacturer companies). They packed in sachets. He immediately started to drink 1 sachets for 3 times a day (morning, noon and night time before he goes to bed) He had uninterrupted sleep in first night after 3 days of struggle..And starting from the first day of use Kudzu granules, we noticed sudden relief on his pain attacks. He mostly had shadows, only 2 times Kip 4 or 5 which he can handle for whole 1 month period..That's all..We still hardly believe on Kudzu power..But it worked well for him..Thank you very much to all..Thank you for showing us Kudzu..And if anybody want to try out these granules, we are ready to help you..

Regards,

BTW, sorry for this long message.. Smiley

Jessie
IP Logged

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing."
munozali
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #102 on: Jun 17th, 2006, 2:25am »

Hi again everybody.  More comments and questions...

I have been trying Kudzu for about three or four days now.  On the good side: I THINK the Kudzu is working, because I have been off the Prednisone for two days now and my headaches, though not gone, are at low levels (Kips 1 through 4).  I am also trying Melatonin at night, but I haven't noticed much of a difference, if at all, from it.  Besides the Kudzu (Nature's Way, six capsules a day) and Melatonin (3 or 6 mg each night), I have also been taking some Magnesium (250mg a day) and a Vitamin B complex (once a day) supplements.  I am not sure how much these are supposed to help, but I am trying them anyway, following other CH sufferers' examples.  

Now, here is the bad stuff: for a few days now I have been feeling a bit weird, and I am not sure what I owe this to.  I often feel nervous or restless, I can feel my heart beating a little hard, I may also feel very tired, and even dizzy at times.  I don't know what the heck is causing this (I hope it is not the Kudzu!!!) but I sure don't like it.  It's almost not worth it.  I thought it was the Prednisone at first, so I stopped it two days ago.  I still had these symptoms today all day.  Any ideas anyone???  

I hope everyone is doing great!  Take care.

Roberto
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #103 on: Jun 17th, 2006, 8:52am »

Jessie, I'm very happy to hear that kudzu is helping your husband.  Smiley The granules are probably kudzu root, which is what the supplements are made from.  

Roberto, the dizziness may be attributed to kudzu, some testers reported that at first, it made them dizzy. It seems to get better as time goes on. The other symptoms? I really don't know. Were you supposed to just stop the prednisone, or taper off? It may have something to do with that... but I really don't know.  
Try starting a new thread about it (here on the meds board), pred users may see it before they see this thread. The kudzu made life easier for me, but it didn't stop the cycle, or all of the attacks. It just "muted" the breakthrough attacks, which helped a great deal.  
pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

munozali
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #104 on: Jun 18th, 2006, 1:28pm »

Hi:
  The Kudzu seems to be helping me too.  Like you say, it doesn't completely stop the attacks.  In my case, it makes the headaches much easier to handle (only Kips 1-4), and in many cases shortens them significantly.  I had one bad headache yesterday (Kip 5-6) after playing tennis, probably 'because I didn't take the Kudzu on time.  But then I took it and the headache went away in about an hour or so.  Yey!!!

Take care,
Roberto
IP Logged
munozali
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #105 on: Jun 19th, 2006, 12:40am »

Nani:

I think you were right about the Kudzu and the dizziness, etc.  I don't think those side effects were from stopping the Prednisone because they began one day before I stopped taking it (though, they could have been side effects from actually taking the Pred).  The last day I took Prednisone was the first day I took Kudzu.  My restlessness, tiredness, and dizziness lasted for about three days.  Now everything seems to be fine.  I am off the Prednisone and have been taking the Kudzu everyday for five days.  Today I had no headache attacks, just shadows here and there.  The only other thing I have been consistently taking is the Magnesium,  but I also started that before I stopped the Prednisone and started the Kudzu...

Have a great night,
Roberto
IP Logged
birdman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Will try anything once!

Email

« Reply #106 on: Jun 21st, 2006, 12:35pm »

Nani, Great to see you still so involved.  I have selfishly been away about one year, shame on me.  Came back to get some info on kudzu and of course you are still here for everyone.  God bless.  Think I am gonna try kudzu and melatonin this cycle.  Shouldn't mix with verap right?  Can you recommend dosage on kudzu and melatonin?
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #107 on: Jun 21st, 2006, 12:51pm »

on Jun 21st, 2006, 12:35pm, birdman wrote:
been away about one year, shame on me.

Well, stick around now, birdman. We can always use another helpful voice.  It's good to hear from you again, BTW.  Smiley  
Sorry your in a position to need advice again.  Sad
Here's what I know (I'm not a doctor, but a collector of info).
You should probably start slowly on both. Your kudzu will have a recommended dosage on the bottle, don't exceed that. Remember to time the kudzu doses to precede the bigger attacks. Start with half the recommended dose and add as needed. The same with melatonin, I think. Maybe start with 3 mg at bedtime, and add if needed. I've never gone over 12 mgs, so I'm not sure that's possible. (Look around for melatonin threads, there should be better advice) I hope it helps again.  Smiley

Roberto, I'm glad to see you're feeling better. How is your head now?

pf wishes to both of you, nani

IP Logged

birdman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Will try anything once!

Email

« Reply #108 on: Jun 21st, 2006, 12:58pm »

Thanks for the quick reply and advice.  Gonna try Natures Way capsules.  
Will try anything once!
IP Logged
munozali
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #109 on: Jun 26th, 2006, 12:54am »

Hi Nani:
  My head is doing better.  I still sometimes feel like I am going to get a headache and then it goes away.  The Kudzu seems to work very well, and I THINK it has helped me even when I already have a headache. I say this based on a fewoccassions when I either played tennis or worked out, which may trigger my headaches.  I took Kudzu, and the headache went away within an hour.  I don't know if anyone else has had similar results...
   It's weird too, about the cluster headaches, because sometimes I even feel like I am going to get one on the right side of my head, instead of the left side, but then it doesn't actually happen.  
   About the Kudzu, I use Nature's way and have never exceeded the dose or taken any less than is recommended per day either.  I have been on it for almost two weeks now (and no more Prednisone!).  It is always hard for me to take it at the same times everyday though, but that doesn't seem to affect me, as long as I take it three times a day, as the instructions say.
   I am still trying the Melatonin at night, but I am about to give up on it.  It doesn't seem to do anything for me.  
Last week I used Ambien a couple of times to help me sleep.  Sleeping well seems to help make my headaches less frequent and also less painful.

Have a great night everyone,
Roberto
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #110 on: Jun 26th, 2006, 9:48am »

Glad to hear it, Roberto.  Smiley  
IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #111 on: Jun 26th, 2006, 1:56pm »

I'm using kudzu liquid extract and Maxalt mlt.  The new doc agrees that I should stick with kudzu and drop the paxil.  

I consider it a success.  I'm chronic and am getting hit every 2 hours, most of the time.  The kudzu takes some of the pain off the top level.  

Part of the success is that I work and live around mostly people who love me and give me a break.  

I had to go to a family function Friday and an extended family member made a scene because he thought I was staring at him (while I actually didn't see anything because pain makes me introverted).  

I excused myself and left because I didn't have the energy to explain anything right then.  It was like the guy making a scene was in a different universe.  My famiily was there for me, and made it easy for me to be there and easy for me to leave when I needed to.

Moral support is as important as any other element.  

Thank you, everyone here, for that.

Charlotte

PS  My friend Jacki (here at work) said to say hi to all my friends, so, "Hi, everyone."
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2006, 6:44pm by Charlotte » IP Logged
munozali
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #112 on: Jun 28th, 2006, 8:57pm »

Hi everyone:  
  Just a little update on my experience with the Kudzu.
  Last night I didn't take the Kudzu on time; I usually take it between 7pm and 9pm, but didn't take it until about 12:30am (I wasn't home).  That was a big mistake.  I also went to work out early during the day (I usually work out in the evening).  I had a bad headache last night for a while (about an hour and a half or two hours).  I took my Kudzu and then three Magnesium pills (750mg).  My pain started getting better about 30 to 45 minutes afterwards...
  I didn't sleep much last night, so today has been a rough day.  I had a headache earlier, but not nearly as bad as it was last night.  After taking a nap I felt better...
  So my recommendations again are: try to get as much sleep as possible, take your Kudzu everyday (don't miss any doses), and carry your supplements and meds with you everywhere.  

I hope you are all doing good,
Roberto
IP Logged
Garys_Girl
New Board Veteran
USA 

Kill the Beast!

« Reply #113 on: Jun 29th, 2006, 1:45pm »

Roberto -

First of all, I'm so glad to hear the Kudzu is working so well for you!  

I did have a couple of other thoughts:

When working out or playing tennis, please make sure you drink LOTS of water!  Dehydration is often (or always) a trigger.

Also, when taking magnesium you really ought to take Calcium as well.  The two work together.  Hubby takes 500mg of magnesium and 1200mg of calcium/day.  The two work in tandem and do play a role in helping to manage your body clock, which is why they sometimes benefit people with CH.

As to the Melatonin.  If you've tried 3mg, and then 6mg, and it's done nothing for you, try bumping it up to 9mg.  Hubby was an insomniac before CH, and now in cycle sleep is almost impossible for him.  He's up to 18mg of Melatonin, and it works.  He started at 6mg and when it helped him fall asleep, it was a godsend.  That quickly faded though, so like with everything else we simply upped the doses as necessary.  18mg seems to be the "magic" number for him.

HOWEVER - 5-HTP worked better for him than melatonin.  Check out this link:  http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=5-HTP

DO NOT TAKE 5-HTP if you are using any triptans (Imitrex), any anti-depressants, or any opiods (Vicodin, Tramadol, etc.).  

The 5-HTP is usually taken in 250mg supplements.  I've seen in several health food stores now a combination supplement of 5-HTP and Melatonin.  If hubby weren't taking Tramadol, he'd be taking the combo.

Birdman - hope that helps with your question on melatonin dosage too.

Wishing all pain free days and nights!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie
IP Logged

"It's comin' like a freight train - can't you hear it?" - Gary
munozali
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #114 on: Jul 5th, 2006, 2:59pm »

Hi Laurie:
  Thank you for the reply...
  I have tried Melatonin up to 9mg.  Maybe I should try more, but again I took it last night and am not sure it is doing anything...  Does it have to be taken every night for it to work?  
  The Kudzu still seems to be doing its job, although last week I had a few more headache attacks than usual.  I am not sure why...
  I have a question.  What do your doctors think about taking supplements, especially the Kudzu, to treat the cluster headaches?  Do they all believe in the power of Kudzu?  I ask this because my doctor has never suggested anything besides the Prednisone and migrane medicines.  

Take care,
Roberto
IP Logged
Garys_Girl
New Board Veteran
USA 

Kill the Beast!

« Reply #115 on: Jul 5th, 2006, 8:10pm »

You shouldn't have to take the Melatonin every night for it to work.  Maybe it doesn't work for you - maybe a higher dose would.  Whether or not you decide to keep going is up to you.

A friend that is a Doctor uses melatonin to help sleep.  She doesn't have a problem with Gary taking 18mg.

We don't have insurance until Aug 1, and our family doc knows nothing about CH.  So we've just been telling him what Gary wants, and he prescribes it.  Gary didn't want to persue the prednisone/verap direction.  But this family doc thumbs his nose at anything that isn't pharmaceutical.

Laurie
IP Logged

Weatherman
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #116 on: Jul 7th, 2006, 2:16am »

Thought I'd share my experiences with kudzu.

I am episodic with 8 week cycles. I'm in my 3rd week. I wasn't prepared when it started so I really suffered the first week. Then I discovered this site and all the valuable info.  

I had great success my last cycle with prednisone/varapamil but it made me very edgy and anxious plus I gained a lot of weight. I wanted to try something different.

This time I tried kudzu/taurine/melatonin. After a few days I wasn't seeing relief so I started a prednisone taper but no varapamil this time. My doc didn't want me on varap with my beta blocker I take for blood pressure. I still take 2 natures way kudzu 3 times a day, 1000 mg of taurine a day and 9mg of melatonin before bed.  

Since day 2 of pred I havn't had one CH. I was getting hit with kip 6 to 9 up to 6 times a day....mostly at night. The pred still makes me a bit edgy but it doesn't seem as bad this time around.  

I know the pred works but I can't help but believe that the kudzu/taurine/melatonin have had a lot to do with my recent success. It's a week now since I've had a hit. I've got 2 more weeks of the pred taper. I guess I'll know a whole lot more after that but for now, I am extremely encouraged!! I do take all of these pills at the same time every day and always with food. My only side effect from the kudzu is some digestive issues...no big deal and a very fair trade!

Here's hoping you all have the luck I've had so far!!
Doug
IP Logged
munozali
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #117 on: Jul 7th, 2006, 2:27am »

Yeah, I don't think my general doctor knows too much either about cluster headaches.  He is more familiar with migraines, which makes sense though.
I am trying to get an appointment with a neurologist.  Hopefully his secretary will call me back tomorrow.
I have got the impression that some doctors don't really believe in the dietary supplements, like Kudzu.  On the other hand, my doctor prescribed Pred but only for a week, and then wanted me to stop taking it.  I asked what else I could take to deal with the pain, and he gave some samples of migraine meds.  

By the way, the Kudzu still works, for the most part, but this week I have had a couple of bad headaches.  On both occassions they seem to have been triggered by exercise (even after drinking quite a bit of water).  

Right now I am taking Kudzu and Magnesium everyday to prevent headaches, but I also take more Magnesium if a headache attack occurs.  Most of the time the Magnesium seems to do the trick.  About the Melatonin, I will try increasing the dose a little more to see if it makes a difference...

Pain free wishes to all!
Roberto
IP Logged
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #118 on: Jul 7th, 2006, 1:44pm »

I emailed my doc Floridian's kudzu article (med.owl).  His only concern was the mentioned tripan/kudzu possible reaction.  I only get 18 maxalt mlts a month, and use a portion of one for some of the worst hits, so the amount of triptans I use is relatively small.

I was taking 5 mg paxil for pain management.  I told my doc the kudzu worked better so he agreed that I should stop the paxil & keep the kudzu.

It's one small step forward in getting kudzu acknowledged in the medical charts.

I still wish Fiorinal was in vogue.  I could use a drug induced vacation.  (Don't yell at me, Linda.  I can't get it anyway.)

Charlotte
IP Logged
mullanjud
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #119 on: Jul 10th, 2006, 12:33pm »

Just thought I would write and say THANKS!  My husband suffers from clusters. Had been free of them for two years ( has had them for 30 yrs), but just got them again 2 months ago.  Worse then usual this time, frequency and intensity.  Kudzu seems to be helping.  Reduced number and intensity since strating to take Fri.  He is actually getting some sleep, had been having intense headaches about every hour.

I know different things work for different people, but here is what I am giving him in case it might help someone else.

7:00 am

2- 625 mg Natures Way Kudzu
2 - 250 mg Magnesium

2:00 p.m.

2 - 625 mg Kudzu

7:00 p.m.

2- 625 mg Kudzu
1 - 250 mg Magnesium
2- 250 mg aspirin
2 - 500 mg acetiminophen + sleep aid ( Dollar General headache PM

Thought I would pass this along as the info about others success has gotten us this far.

THANKS AGAIN!
IP Logged
walkertexasranger
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #120 on: Jul 11th, 2006, 7:15pm »

Lookes like I will give the Kudzu a try, thanks to everyone here for the info.  I just started a cycle last Sat, been two years since the last one.  

Mark
IP Logged
Garys_Girl
New Board Veteran
USA 

Kill the Beast!

« Reply #121 on: Jul 14th, 2006, 8:52pm »

Just a quick mention on the magnesium supplement.  Magnesium functions as a diarrhetic if not taken with calcium.  A guideline is to take 2x as much calcium as magnesium.

We take 250mg of magnesium and 600mg of calcium each morning and each evening.  We take both with 1000mg of Taurine.  And of course there's the Kudzu, and the melatonin.....   Smiley

Laurie
IP Logged

Geewilly
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #122 on: Jul 22nd, 2006, 4:30am »

Has anyone experienced a really blood shot eye (right eye) since taking Kudz that killed a cycle?  My right eye is constantly bloodshot.  The Kudz ended my cycle in 2 weeks taking it but I am kind of worried about my eye.   There are like a billion red vessels in my right eye now.  The last headache of my cycle was very strange the way it ended.  This has been about 2 months now pain free but my eye has never recouped.
IP Logged
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #123 on: Jul 22nd, 2006, 4:25pm »

I took Kudzu for 10 months.   I didn't have the bloodshot eye you describe.

Possible it's something else...and maybe not Zu related.

Have you seen the doc?  

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #124 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 10:16am »

Geewilly, no, I haven't heard of this before. Please see a doctor about it.

I'm happy to see that all of you are seeing a difference with the kudzu.  Smiley
Dr Sewell, at Harvard, is interested in our stories. If you'd like to participate in his case studies, please contact him at:
asewell@mclean.harvard.edu
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss