Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 3:03pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 5-HT activity in Kudzu »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   5-HT activity in Kudzu
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  27 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 5-HT activity in Kudzu  (Read 32589 times)
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: 5-HT activity in Kudzu
« Reply #50 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 11:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sorry about your dog, Nani  Undecided

The kudzu appears to have benefit here.  Good luck to everybody trying it.  

John
IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #51 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 1:40pm »

Cool! If/when I go into cycle, I'm going to try this. Thank you, Nani.
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #52 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 1:43pm »

THink I need to look for this stuff.  Not willing to try the alternative. Hell my worked called and asked me about my back meds cause they showed up on the drug test.
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #53 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 5:32pm »

So, if I understand this correctly, the Kudzu might help.  I want to try it.  However, it may not be good to take with triptans?  I am trying to follow, but help me out.  I am in cycle, and am willing to give it a try.  There's a couple of herb stores around the corner, and I can probably go get it tonight.

Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Where I live: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #54 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 5:52pm »

Quote:
Posted by: Tiannia
THink I need to look for this stuff.  Not willing to try the alternative. Hell my worked called and asked me about my back meds cause they showed up on the drug test

Your back pain medication is/was probably an opiate based medicine.  The typical drug screen scans for this and about 3 or 4 others that are COMMONLY used.  Mushrooms are almost never tested in a drug screen as the screen would be extremely expensive and unnecessary.  If you were tested for this (mushrooms) specifically, it would show up at the maximum of 3 days after ingestion.  

John
 twocents

IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #55 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 6:13pm »

on Feb 16th, 2005, 5:32pm, clarence wrote:
So, if I understand this correctly, the Kudzu might help.  I want to try it.  However, it may not be good to take with triptans?  I am trying to follow, but help me out.  I am in cycle, and am willing to give it a try.  There's a couple of herb stores around the corner, and I can probably go get it tonight.

Casey

Casey, according to what Floridian says somewhere above, it may not be wise to use kudzu and triptans at the same time. I can't use triptans, so even though it has a similar effect, it is much more gentle and gradual. I don't know if it's a good idea to try it or not. At least not without considering giving up the triptans for awhile.  Flo?  
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #56 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 6:37pm »

on Feb 16th, 2005, 5:52pm, Giovanni wrote:

Your back pain medication is/was probably an opiate based medicine.  The typical drug screen scans for this and about 3 or 4 others that are COMMONLY used.  Mushrooms are almost never tested in a drug screen as the screen would be extremely expensive and unnecessary.  If you were tested for this (mushrooms) specifically, it would show up at the maximum of 3 days after ingestion.  

John
 twocents

Codine.  Actually.  The hair test showed that I used Codine and they wanted to make sure that i had scripts for them.  more then happy to show them the bottels.  

I know that everyone has told me that mushrooms are not tested for, but it just really makes me nervious. Rather stick with something that I dont have the stress about and see if that works before I jump into something that could have bad reprocussions.
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
Sylvan
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #57 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 6:53pm »

Nani:

I'm so sorry for your loss. Fly Free Sweet Shiva.  

I'm very glad to hear that something is helping with your CH though.  

Here's what my favorite herbal reference site has to say about kudzu:

http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_kudzu.htm

It's quite a sinister looking plant though. Gives me the creeps when i go south.
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2005, 6:54pm by Sylvan » IP Logged
clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #58 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 7:02pm »

on Feb 16th, 2005, 6:13pm, nani wrote:

Casey, according to what Floridian says somewhere above, it may not be wise to use kudzu and triptans at the same time. I can't use triptans, so even though it has a similar effect, it is much more gentle and gradual. I don't know if it's a good idea to try it or not. At least not without considering giving up the triptans for awhile.  Flo?  

Ok, so just to clarify, what does it mean to try kudzu and triptans "at the same time?"  The last time I took a shot was 2 days ago.  I know with the shrooms they recommend that you wait at least five days, but that is so that it will work.  I just don't want to take it if it is going to be dangerous.

Isn't Kudzu an "alien species," one of those that came from somewhere else and is taking over ecosystems.  Kind of like Killer Bees in the Southwest?  Or those fish that walk on land?

Casey

ps- nani, I am sorry about your dog.  
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2005, 7:03pm by clarence » IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #59 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 7:07pm »

By the way, Image search on Google for Kudzu, got the Kudzu Queen:

Is that you nani?

Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #60 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 7:09pm »

Thanks for the sympathy everyone...
Kudzu is originally from Asia and has taken over the southern US. If it's been more than a day since your last triptan shot, my feeling would be (and I could be wrong) it would be OK to try kudzu today. Then you may not need another shot (yes...I feel that optimistic) anytime soon. My guess is if someone were using shots everyday it would not be wise to add kudzu until the triptans were out of your system. But the kudzu is more gradual...so if you took 750 mgs tonight...would a trex shot tomorrow morning be OK? I really can't answer that for you. Do you tolerate triptans well? If so, it may not be a problem. It's all just guessing at this point. Wanna join the guinea pigs?  Grin
IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #61 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 7:15pm »

LMAO Casey.... laugh
I'm going to run next year.  Grin
IP Logged

broomhilda
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Ride it!

witchilda

« Reply #62 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 8:55pm »

Just one question about this...can you take it while on prevents?

ie. verapamil/lithuim?

Thanks!!!
IP Logged

Suck it up Princess...

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #63 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 8:59pm »

I use both, Andrea...and Neurontin as well. If my success continues, I plan on eliminating them one at a time. (except the Verap...I have high BP)

edited for spelling. It always looks right the first time.  Undecided
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2005, 9:00pm by nani » IP Logged

broomhilda
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Ride it!

witchilda

« Reply #64 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 9:07pm »

This is interestingly promising to say the least... I think many of us are watching how this goes.. keep us posted and pf wishes to all!!!
IP Logged

Suck it up Princess...

Shiraj
New Board Newbie
USA 

ow

king0fsnake

« Reply #65 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 12:17am »

First day on kudzu i had 1 bad hit at 2 but it only lasted 25 minutes and not even a shadow for the rest of the day after that. Looking forward to tomorrow now!
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #66 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 12:27am »

Grin   That's good news, Shiraj!

thumb
IP Logged

Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #67 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 5:33am »

Yea!............you guys are on a roll. Grin

Nani, why not throw in a couple B-50 Complex vitamins a day to the mix?

BTW, Codine is a naturally occurring constituent of opium.

John
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #68 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 8:39am »

John...I started taking B-Complex 50 and trace minerals at the same time as the kudzu. I take 1 B complex a day and 1/2 tsp of liquid trace minerals that include magnesium & lithium. I could take more of the minerals, but they're liquid and taste nasty. The herb store lady told me liquid was the way to go for speedy absorption. Next time, I'm buying the pills.  
Yesterday was stressful and confusing, lots of activity and sensory overload (sometimes triggers) and again...just a couple of very easy shadows. I find that I am getting a "regular" shadow (k2) at around 10:30 PM everynight. I've never been "regular"...all my HAs have been unpredictable in the past. Tonight I'm going to try a second kudzu at around 9 PM...just to see...

People...we may have found something here....
I can't tell you how my life and outlook have changed...after 4 1/2 years of chronic clusters....I feel human again.... Grin
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2005, 8:40am by nani » IP Logged

clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #69 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 8:47am »

on Feb 17th, 2005, 8:39am, nani wrote:
People...we may have found something here....
I can't tell you how my life and outlook have changed...after 4 1/2 years of chronic clusters....I feel human again.... Grin

What are you selling?  You're one of those sinusbusters people, aren't you...

just kiddin.  I am really glad this is helping you nani.  I am really happy for you.

Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #70 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 9:00am »

LMAO, Casey...
Actually, I have a "connection" for kudzu...
For a mere $199.99 a month, I can get good high grade kudzu root.... Grin
IP Logged

floridian

Email

« Reply #71 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 12:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Feb 16th, 2005, 6:13pm, nani wrote:

I would be careful about using kudzu with triptans - kudzu changes the serotonin metabolism, and we don't know how, or what interaction there might be with triptans. It might increase the effects of triptans - and too much is not good.    

Also, interactions with verapamil are possible. Traditional use says to take kudzu for high blood pressure but to avoid it when blood pressure is low.  This citation says that a related species lowers blood calcium, so it could theoretically increase the effect of calcium channel blockers.  

Here is a link to an article I am writing on kudzu - its part of a planned free cluster headache book online.   There are icons at the top to see it in a pdf format - nicer for printing.  

http://tinyurl.com/4tfwd

Quote:
J Reprod Dev. 2004 Dec;50(6):639-45.  

Long-term treatment effects of Pueraria mirifica phytoestrogens on parathyroid hormone and calcium levels in aged menopausal cynomolgus monkeys.

Trisomboon H, Malaivijitnond S, Suzuki J, Hamada Y, Watanabe G, Taya K.

Biological Science Ph.D. Program, Faculty of Science, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Tokyo, Japan.

To determine the effect of Pueraria mirifica (PM) on serum parathyroid hormone (PTH) and calcium levels on aged menopausal monkeys (Macaca fascicularis), subjects were treated with 10, 100, or 1,000 mg/day of PM. Blood samples were collected every 5 days for 30, 90, and 60 days during pre-treatment, treatment, and post-treatment periods, respectively. Sera were assayed for PTH, estradiol, and calcium levels. PM-1,000 had the strongest effect on the decrease in PTH (0.001<P< or =0.05) and calcium levels (0.001<P< or =0.03) during the treatment period. PTH levels remained low for the first 15 days of the post-treatment period (0.01< or =P < or =0.05). PM-10 induced a significant decrease in PTH level on day 80 (P=0.02) during the treatment period and a significant decrease in calcium level on day 75 (P<0.01). There were no changes in serum PTH and calcium levels throughout the study period in the PM-100 group. Estradiol levels decreased significantly during the treatment period in all treatment groups. The results suggest that long-term treatment with 1,000 mg/day of PM decreases serum PTH and calcium levels in aged menopausal monkeys, indicating that PM ameliorates bone loss caused by estrogen deficiency.
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2005, 12:29pm by floridian » IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #72 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 12:48pm »

Flo...I want to take this opportunity to thank you again for this info. This treatment has improved my life to a degree that I didn't realize was possible!!

I have been in a GREAT mood (even though there has been some unusual stressors in the past few days). Energetic, happy, focused and motivated. I am even more so on the ADD meds, which I have been able to take again. Could the serotonin action be helping me with my mood disorder, too? I am cyclothymic...my normal level of funtctioning falls in the below average range and I have what seem like "manic" highs, which in effect just bring me to normal functioning. Those "normal" moments are usually few and far between. This is my 7th full day of increased functioning and general good moods. Also...I am not using hormone replacement therapy now and it seems kudzu can even help offset future bone loss?  Damn...I'm so happy I could just.... Grin
IP Logged

Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #73 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 3:09pm »

on Feb 2nd, 2005, 1:57pm, floridian wrote:
The PDR says a typical daily dose is 9-15 grams (28 grams = 1 ounce), so that is 1/3 - 1/2 ounce, roughly.

Hokay. So I'm trying to figure this out in dog years. Checked out Kudzu pills at the local Health Food Rip Off store. Bottled 50 ct/$12.95, each pill rated at 615 mg, or 0.6 grams. That's approx 18 pills/day, unless you folks are taking some mighty big horse caps, or I'm missing an important point. Got the owner to check into bulk Kudzo after he quit laffing.

Enlighten me,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #74 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 3:36pm »

Randy, I think those amounts are for dried root, not tablets. I'm taking a blend that has 750mg of kudzu. The bottle says I can take 1-2 tablets up to 3X day. I have been taking just one a day...although tonight I will add 1 more tablet. Good luck...love, nani
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  27 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss