Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 3:33pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 5-HT activity in Kudzu »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   5-HT activity in Kudzu
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25  ...  27 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 5-HT activity in Kudzu  (Read 32690 times)
KMT
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Fun loving @ heart

WWW Email

Re: 5-HT activity in Kudzu
« Reply #550 on: Apr 10th, 2005, 10:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

UndecidedSorry for that post.  Embarassed

Going to do an experiment with the Kudzu today.  I am not going to take it at all and see how bad I get hit.  Then tomorrow will get back on and compare.  Maybe it is helping and I just don't realize it.  Who knows.  Maybe this is the only relief I will get.

Am a little nervous but have survived so I will again.

Kim
IP Logged

aka...................................................... KimY
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #551 on: Apr 10th, 2005, 5:46pm »

Well, that's really the only way to find out what's going on, Kim. I'm glad the kudzu seems to be helping. Let us know how your experiment goes.

My best to you,
-Frank
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
ozzy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

As I Am

WWW Email

« Reply #552 on: Apr 11th, 2005, 9:47am »

Congrats Frank. I was very curious to see waht would happen to episodics. Now I know. I have been on Kudzu for a while 2-3 months. I have found that timing is important (Karen, that means you, don't forget to take it) I also had my first PF trip. I travel quite a bit for work and I usually get hit after I arrive at my destination or during flight. Change in cabin pressure, the dryness, lack of sleep, comfort, etc. I just got back from Alaska. From the East Coast that's quite a haul, but experienced no pain whatsoever. Melatonin is a must for these trips, keeps my body clock regulated. I drank, stayed up late, worked a lot (maybe in that order) and yet experienced PF time. But if I skip a dose, shadows creep up, and then I have to double up on the dose to go back to PF. I think in my case I won't just quit to see what happens just yet.

Ozzy
IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #553 on: Apr 11th, 2005, 10:37am »

Outstanding, Ozzy! Basically, it sounds like you hit every trigger you could, and still came out pain-free. That is AWESOME!!! Congratulations!
IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #554 on: Apr 11th, 2005, 10:41am »

That's great ozzy! I still shadow a little most days, but have had a few PF days, too.  Smiley
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
KMT
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Fun loving @ heart

WWW Email

« Reply #555 on: Apr 12th, 2005, 11:51am »

Well experiment done.  Not really seeing much difference on or off of Kudzu.  I have been having Kip5-6 the last few evenings off of the Kudzu but I am also dealing with weather.  Have been lucky only one time needed to use Imitrex.  Give it a week and then I will know more...

Still waiting on the insurance company to approve O2 tank at 12-15 L.  I'll probably be done with my cycle by then if it ever ends that is.

Glad for all who are having success with Kudzu... PF wishes.
IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #556 on: Apr 12th, 2005, 12:05pm »

I'm sorry, Kim.... Cry
Thanks for trying.   hug
Pain free wishes (and I hope you get your O2 soon)
 nani
IP Logged

KMT
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Fun loving @ heart

WWW Email

« Reply #557 on: Apr 12th, 2005, 1:20pm »

WinkThanks for all the advise though and who is to say that it might not help next cycle.  If this one ends that is.

Its ok I am a tough cookie even if I do some whining.  I don't give into defeat easy.

Sorry just went on a 3 mile run and feel like I am on a runners high and loving it at the moment.

Kim
IP Logged

godsjoy777
New Board Veteran
USA 

HIS name is above clusters

godsjoy777  
Email

« Reply #558 on: Apr 12th, 2005, 8:33pm »

Congrats Ozzy!!!!!
Don't worry....my husband now sends an instant message and e-mail every day to my work computer to remind me to take my Kudzu.....what a gem of a guy!

Kim,
My insurance only lets the O2 cost go towards the medical deductable which takes forever to get to....so who cares.....Just go for it....The rental on a tank is only something like $8.00 per month and refills are $12.00 per tank......The supliments are more expensive than that and at least I know the )2 is going to abort my attack....I went ahead and bought a tank and rent a second one for refills.....It's well worth it Kim.....
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2005, 8:37pm by godsjoy777 » IP Logged
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #559 on: Apr 13th, 2005, 5:25pm »

Hello to all.   Grin Grin Grin Grin

I think my cycle has ended!  I'm the one who doesn't like to post good news because, like Murphy's law, every time I did, I would get nailed the next day with a killer HA.  I started the zu during the first week of this cycle (began on 2/17), with very mixed results.  Shorter duration, less intense, but many many more HA during the days.  This was nor working.   Stopped the zu and everything else for a week, which was really Godawful, to "cleanse the system", so to speak.  Then went back on again in the hopes that the zu would work for me like it has for so many of you.

Again, mixed results - still had shorter, less intense HA, but still had more during the day.  This time, though, I stuck with it, and over time, the HA became more "scheduled" again, so that I could pretty much know when I would get hit.  I also stopped having hits during the night, so was able to get some sleep, and during the day, had some small hits at work but no biggies (except for one day when my poor employer was witness to a full blown k9).  I must admit, I did dip into the trex for the biggies.

I don't know that kudzu really helped my cycle, but I don't think it made it any worse, once I got going on a regular routine.  I also don't know that it has shortened my cycle.  My first cycle was very long (almost 4 months), the second was very short (just about 3-4 weeks), and this cycle was 7 weeks as of today.  The last 7 days I have had NO HA!!!
 Grin Grin Grin

To those of you that are finding relief from zu - KEEP IT UP.
To those of you that aren't sure that you're finiding relief from zu - KEEP IT UP.  It has helped me, not as much as some of the rest of you, but definitely helped.  

But for now - I'm PF!!! and I hope to stay that way!

You've all been so helpful to me.  I honestly don't think I could have gotten through this cycle without being able to read your posts, your successes, your failures, and your support messages.  I thank you all.  

Don't worry, I still plan on keeping track of you guys and giving my two cents worth whether you like it or not.

Love to all

Sandy
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
Boyce
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #560 on: Apr 14th, 2005, 5:26am »

So as to avoid cross-thread posting....I'm going to copy my post from my "Newbie from Indiana" thread in the Getting to Know Ya subject header into this post here....Kudzu certainly worked for to keep the beast away.....however, did it break my cycle?  results are inconclusive   Undecided

[on Apr 14th, 2005, 5:15am, Boyce wrote:
HI all.....

Wondering where I went?  Grin  I went to Hawaii, about a full week after my cycle ended, and tested my alcohol trigger with a week full of Luaus, beers and MaiTais    me&mb

well....my cycle ended after a few weeks on Kudzu....

Now I am a victim of too much beta testing....

I have three possible reasons for my cycle ending:
1. - Kudzu....4 weeks or so of it and the cycle is gone
2. - Massage....friend of my wife's who is a massage therapist, was giving me weekly massages, concentrating on the head and neck.
3. - Time....This was a 12 week cycle for me, which is longer that usual, tho not unheard of.

next cycle, I'll have to be more selective in my approach, as hard as that is to do....whatever gets rid of the beast for the moment is what I'll do....just like always...

PFDAN's to all!!!

IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #561 on: Apr 14th, 2005, 2:28pm »

Floridian,

Quote:
they mention 5-ht1A effects, triptans are mostly 5-ht1B/D ???

I was re-reading the first posts in this thread.  The original article says a 5HT-1 agonist.  It doesn't really specify 1A.  Any other info been found detailing which 5HT-1 subtype it affects?
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #562 on: Apr 15th, 2005, 4:27pm »

I'm starting my 11th week on the 'zu. Have been having an "odd" headache the last 4 nights. The only way I can think to describe it is a "reverse" CH. Always on my CH side, always at 10:30 PM. It starts in my neck, by the base of my head. The moves up rapidly (through my jaw and behind my ear) to my eye. The exact opposite of a normal hit. It ramps into a k5. Lasts about 30 minutes. Last night I increased my 9PM dose to 2 tablets. I still got "hit" but it was muted. Still lasted 30 minutes. Hmmmm     So now I'm taking 5- 750 mgs a day.
IP Logged

Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #563 on: Apr 15th, 2005, 5:48pm »

Damn... Nani, I dearly hope it continues to work for you. hug Hang in there.  Undecided
IP Logged

Lori
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #564 on: Apr 16th, 2005, 10:34pm »

I understand the possible dangers of mixing kudzu with verap and triptans but how about with other stuff alot of cher's take? Topomax, lithium, etc? I take lamictal and how do I know what activities or things this affects and is there possible interactions with lamictal and kudzu? I ordered kudzu but must take lamictal for my bipolar disorder.  

Thanks.
IP Logged

Blessings and PFDAN,
Lori

Psalm 23:4 ~ Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #565 on: Apr 16th, 2005, 10:43pm »

Lori...we just don't know at this point. This is still so new. I can tell you that I was on lithium and Neurontin when I started kudzu. I was able to taper off the lithium after about 6 weeks. And I've cut my Neurontin from 1800mgs a day to 300. Perhaps you could print out Floridian's and ozzy's medical info on it and discuss it with your dr or pharmacist.
IP Logged

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #566 on: Apr 18th, 2005, 10:40am »

Just an update.  I quit taking the kudzu as I could not see that it was doing anything for me.  I was using Solaray brand.  Started with 3 caps/day, wnet to 4/day and eventually 6/day.  Nada.  Felt no difference on or off it.

What is making a difference for me is the 9mg melatonin before bed.  Still getting hit but at 1/2 strength and duration.  Everything is a 5-10 minute Kip 1 now.  Easily handled with O2.  Been on it for 3 days.  Will probably start a thread on it after I've used it for a while longer.

BTW - Marc was on Solaray @ 15/day and nothing also.
IP Logged

"SHUT UP HUB!"
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #567 on: Apr 18th, 2005, 11:18am »

Sorry, Bob and Marc.  Sad  If you were on it for 7 days, will you both fill out Flo's survey?  

EVERYONE who has tried it for one week or more:  
Please fill out the survey.

Thanks and PF wishes to all, nani

edited to add: Bob, maybe you did it wrong?  Wink
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2005, 11:24am by nani » IP Logged

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #568 on: Apr 18th, 2005, 11:46am »

Quote:
Bob, maybe you did it wrong?

Posibility.  Funny thing is that the fungi treatment is thought to be effective in part because of the "indole" ring structure (I think).  Melatonin is also an indole.  Could be the legal alternative maybe.

Smoe day I'll get this stuff right! Wink
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2005, 11:47am by Bob P » IP Logged

"SHUT UP HUB!"
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #569 on: Apr 18th, 2005, 12:33pm »

Bob, How did it go with the Elavil?
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #570 on: Apr 18th, 2005, 4:54pm »

Elavil - nada!  Never went over 30mg/day which is really low.  My doc just doesn't understand that us clusterheads do everything big.

I'm using 9mg melatonin at night and that is making the attacks really light.  Where the night attacks had me poping cafergot and sucking O2 for 20+ minutes to knock them down, with the mel the O2 stops it in 5-7 minutes.  Still have the cafergot but not using it like before.

So:
Fungi small frequent dose = the cluster attacks continued to get stronger.

Kudzu = first week attacks got lighter (of course this may be a result of the fungi the week before).  Ramped up on kudzu but it the attacks got more frequent/strong.

Melatonin = mellowed them out to mild attacks, 3xday.  Only on day 3 of this though.

Trex = gave me my worst day, 7 attacks!  Never had that many before.  Trex sucks!
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2005, 4:55pm by Bob P » IP Logged

"SHUT UP HUB!"
alienspacebabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

yup. i am. i do. uh huh. you know it hon.

alienspacelizzie   MzClusterhead
WWW Email

« Reply #571 on: Apr 19th, 2005, 11:00pm »

Hi all,

I just heard from Lizzie2.

Apparently there can be some complications from kudzu use. She's been using kudzu for about a week. Last night she had extensive bleeding .... they had to do the sinus surgery again this afternoon. The docs said the inside of her nose is mush, and that kudzu is probably the culprit because it is a vasodilator.

So, this post has 2 purposes:

1.  be careful with kudzu if you're using aspirin or any other blood thinner

2.  vibes for Lizzie2

(this is also posted on the general board)
IP Logged

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #572 on: Apr 20th, 2005, 12:13am »

This is terrible. I'm already sending vibes and prayers.  Sad
What I find pretty troubling right now is that Carrie talked to her neuro about using kudzu. He actually read up on it at Flo's site and gave it the OK. Granted, he is not her ENT doc, but I assume he was aware of the surgery. It just reaffirms my sense that not even drs know what all potential risks and side effects of kudzu (or any alternative treatment) really are.  
Let's be careful, informed and use lots of common sense, folks.
IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #573 on: Apr 20th, 2005, 1:16pm »

I found this drug interaction site today. It has kudzu and other herbs and supplements on it. Just add all the drugs you take and it gives you any potential interaction info. Interestingly, it did not say there were any problems with kudzu and verap. It said the usual caution with verap and alcohol and verap and grapefruit juice.

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Interaction/ChooseDrugs/1,4109,,00.html
IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #574 on: Apr 20th, 2005, 4:45pm »

Nani

What a great site - I've bookmarked it for future reference.  Haven't had much chance to really delve into it, but it looks like it will be valuable to just about anyone who has to take medications of any sort.  Gonna run a scenario with all the "stuff" my husband takes for his thises and thats.

I'm truly sorry to hear about your "reverse" HA.  Sending my thoughts your way - keep the faith!

Sandy
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25  ...  27 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss