Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
Dopiest responses to CH (Read 50836 times)
idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Re: Dopiest responses to CH
Reply #200 - Oct 2nd, 2013 at 7:07pm

23yearsofch wrote on Oct 2nd, 2013 at 5:12am:
my mom, bless her soul, suggested i try "tapping" during a cluster, its some kind of new age tap your head with your fingers treatment,she still doesnt understand how violent and brutal they are as she has never seen an attack, there will be no forehead tapping while im mid-attack  Shocked

I got this from my therapist and several friends.
MY SIDES.
MY SIDESS

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #201 - Oct 6th, 2013 at 9:07am

At Work one day the Topic of Headaches came up and I mentioned Cluster Headaches, one person said...

"Oh I've had those"

me: "Really what do you take for them?"

"Excedrin Migraine"

me: "Did it work?"

"Yes it did! You should try it!"

me:   At this point I Turned and walked away with no comment and an Eye Straining Eye Roll  Roll Eyes

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

maryo
CH.com Veteran

Johnny & Roy puzzle where
to apply the O2 mask

x1|Little Deer Isle|USA|usa|536|53|ME,Maine
Reply #202 - Oct 6th, 2013 at 9:26am

Because of stupid (STU-pid!) responses I stopped telling people about my clusters. Because most of the time they said "Do you think it's stress??" Of course if I gave up ____ or took [vitamin] that would do it. Then there were the commiserators who knew how it felt because they had clusters too and proceeded to tell me how they treated their migraines. There were the doctors who said "you couldn't have clusters, only 5% are women." Thirty years of NO support until I found this forum (although my kids and ex-husband were very understanding).

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #203 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 6:57am

Bella wrote, 10/16/13.

I live in a small town in Sweden. I was sent to a neurologist supposedly an expert in headaches. Just dissapointed when the answer I got was that CH is a headache most common among 50 year old alcoholics.

IP Logged

Narung Poole
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #204 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 3:33am

Responses?? Ya,,
I strongly remembered the day when I was feeling like Hell  Angry
just because of headache and at that time I was in my college so I told my friend that I want to go home,, he replied uhh,,
Lets go we'll have a drink together and you'll be fine  Lips Sealed

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

CH Brain
Ex Member

Reply #205 - Mar 22nd, 2014 at 8:28am

Here's one for all those people who say to you, "Oh, I had one of them once..."

IP Logged

Brad C 406
CH.com Newbie

@Dale_Yeah406

Georgia
Reply #206 - Mar 30th, 2014 at 11:58pm

This thread is awesome because us with CHs know 99% of people do not have a clue.

I am on week 4 of a cycle now and was told today by a friend since pain killers don't work its either in my head or a brain cancer, and the only fix now was voodoo!

You know how your are at week 4 of no sleep and 3-4 CHs a day, I lost it on this guy!
I said, "you are freaking right, I need voodoo to suck the demons out of my brain"! Hell at this point if I thought voodoo would work I would be out with a witch Doctor burning candles dancing naked around a dead goat and a bonfire!

A couple from out Sunday School class told my wife that she gets headaches also and the only thing that works is rubbing olive oil and fresh peppermint oil on my temples. (Serious, who has the time to mix peppermint & olive oil during a CH!?!?!)

The best thing I have found to tell people is that I have brain damage caused by a dirt bike accident. It's not all a lie I have had bad wrecks on dirt bikes, but in reality it had nothing to do with CHs but people just say sorry and move on. During a cycle the worst thing in my opinion is a stupid response, it just sets me off! God forbid if I am on a steroid at the time, I will lose my cool and go off the deep end.

Anyway thank you to all my CH family I love all of you, just remember according to the world this is just in our head, and that's a fact it is a pipe bomb in our head!

Thank You,
Brad814
@Dale_Yeah406
IP Logged

bcsanders
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #207 - Apr 1st, 2014 at 8:23am

About a month ago I was in the middle of one of my worst cycles while at accepted students day at a college my daughter was starting this fall.  I got a kip 9 for like an hour and a half.   I was roaming the campus as my family did the school stuff.  I finally found a comfortable place temporarily rocking myself in the backseat of my car.   I am texting my wife the pain is so bad, it wont go away...clearly over the standard 40 minute headache for me.  The text back that I got was .. did you go see financial aid yet.....

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #208 - Apr 1st, 2014 at 8:30am

Hmmmmm...on the one hand, you do have to admire her ability to stay on track! Wink Ouch!!!!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

shortstraw
CH.com Junior

02 blows - thankfully

Perth Western Australia
Reply #209 - Apr 2nd, 2014 at 5:05am

This one came from my adoring wife and wonderful supporter.
I was in the middle of a Kip 6-7 and she said to me
"When you've finished this attack can you measure up the space for the TV" (what the)
In her defense, it was in the early days and I had said to her "between attacks life is normal" (so so !)
I remind her of it often
I suppose she took me at my word ! ….. and  I did measure it up. Smiley
And I still love her

There are things worse than clusters .... just

IP Logged

jason1212
CH.com Junior

I'm out of my mind please
leave a message

Tampa, FL USA
Reply #210 - Apr 2nd, 2014 at 11:28am

The one I always get that always annoys me goes something like:

me: I get horrible cluster headaches for like over 20 years, theyre the worst pain imaginable theyre ruining my life.

other: Have you tried Excedrin

me: yeah, it doesnt work

other: maybe then, you should see a doctor

me: you think?

IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Reply #211 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 2:29pm

A doctor recently told me that I needed to try "relaxation and yoga" for my headaches. Obviously, he was an idiot !!  
Smiley

IP Logged

Jaymie
CH.com Newbie

Punk Rock MacGyver, Nerd
Ectraordinaire.

British Columbia, Canada
Reply #212 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 12:06am

The most common agitator is some derivative of  "oooh, that's why you have the oxygen tank...I get migraines AND cluster headaches. I just take some painkillers and sleep it off."
-no more though, totally just saying defective hypothalamus and leaving it at that.

The worst by far for me though was my future mother-in-law.  After diagnosis but still while fighting for treatment.
She walked in on me having one she was warned would happen at 11o'clock and that I need to be alone for it. She literally climbed on top of me. Wrapped herself around me trying everything in her power to stop me from trashing.
•"Shhh, it's ok, shhh, it's over, they can't hurt you anymore baby, mommy's here, shhh, stop, stop, shhh"
It took  Kyle and his step father on top of my even more panicked thrashing to get her off me. When they pulled her out of the room reminding her I need to move and be alone until it's over she lost it at Kyle  yelling angrily
•"How the hell did a team of reputable brain doctors diagnose her with some obscure disorder? ONLY EMOTIONS CAN CAUSE PAIN LIKE THAT!  It's painfully obvious what she's going through is a symptom of posttraumatic stress syndrome from horrible sexual assault when she was too young to fully remember! Now let me back in there she needs me!"

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #213 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 4:06am

Your mother in law has it the wrong way round. It's not the emotions that cause the pain. It's the pain that causes the emotions.

Still, at least she cares enough to fight for what she thinks is right for you.
Maz.

IP Logged

Jaymie
CH.com Newbie

Punk Rock MacGyver, Nerd
Ectraordinaire.

British Columbia, Canada
Reply #214 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 12:51pm

Yeah,  she fights for every scenario she makes up in her mind over reality and data... but she does care.

IP Logged

Peter B
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Boston, MA
Reply #215 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 3:52pm

My father, a psychiatrist, has insisted that it is: stress, diet, or for the latest, PTSD for when I was mugged at gunpoint 20 years ago (even though I got clusters years before the mugging). Insists that he specializes in headaches so he knows best.

Sigh - he cares, I know, but....read up on the condition, please?

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #216 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 3:44am

A private conversation in the pub today about CH was interrupted by a rather loud lady who left us in no doubt that there is no greater pain on earth than childbirth. Nor can there ever be!

Us blokes know nothing about pure agony and this catastrophe that women must suffer is all our fault anyway, horrible and hateful creatures that we are.

I simply agreed with her and said I truly hope it's the most awful pain she ever has to endure, and I admire her for living through it to tell the tale.

I meant it, too.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #217 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 10:17am

AussieBrian wrote on Apr 24th, 2016 at 3:44am:
A private conversation in the pub today about CH was interrupted by a rather loud lady who left us in no doubt that there is no greater pain on earth than childbirth. Nor can there ever be!

Us blokes know nothing about pure agony and this catastrophe that women must suffer is all our fault anyway, horrible and hateful creatures that we are.

I simply agreed with her and said I truly hope it's the most awful pain she ever has to endure, and I admire her for living through it to tell the tale.

I meant it, too.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Well, I can attest to the fact that CH is a hell-of-a-lot worse than Childbirth - having experienced both.

At least with Childbirth you've got something to show for it and you don't have to go thru it again every hour or two.  Kiss

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Rumeke
CH.com Veteran

Westfield, NC
Reply #218 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 1:37pm

Amen Barbara! I've had 3 and would gladly have 20 more (if I wasn't so old). No comparison!

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #219 - May 4th, 2016 at 8:28am

I agree with you girls.  I'd have a baby any day instead of CH.

IP Logged

musophil
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

West Midlands, (olde) England
Reply #220 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 7:39am

This thread is amazing.  Grin

IP Logged

Jackie A
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #221 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 2:24pm

This thread is great!  Some very funny posts.  I was recently told to take an Advil and have a glass of wine  Grin

IP Logged

LittlePiggy
Ex Member

Reply #222 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 6:13am

I told a work colleague about my CH and it turned into a competition with her migraine. I surely know migraine, I had it as a teenager, and know it is bad enough. Well, I tried to explain how this has nothing to do with migraines. And she said well, it's still just a headache and kept on explaining how her face was numb from the pain she had to endure.
Eventually I agreed. It's "just" pain. And wished her the best for her migraines.

I mentioned this in another post (when I was linked to here to read about what people get to hear from non sufferers):

I am a vegan, and you wouldn't believe how many people develop a sort of hate for my life style choices. Well those people it seems are almost happy to hear that I have CH, because now they can say HA told ya. Eat some meat and it'll go away Smiley
I tried to explain that from all the vegans and vegetarians I know (and I know hundreds of them) I am the only one to have CH. So by any statistic this has nothing to do with it. (Not that I hadn't considered it, honestly if it was in my hands to put a stop to CH, OF COURSE I WOULD DO ANYTHING, eat meat, hell I would eat human flesh if it meant to stop CH) But they put their fingers in their ears and go lalalala..

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #223 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 7:34pm

Comparing CH to other painful conditions isn't easy and I've got CH, migraines and CRPS.

CH wins for the absolute pain, zero question about this from this combination, however with abortives I know I can kill the pain in a few minutes and even without, the pain is over in around an hour or so.

Migraine is different in that whilst the pain never reaches CH levels over a kip 6 or so, the duration can be significantly higher, with some people having migraines that can last days / weeks or longer.

CRPS is different again with the pain level being higher than migraine, but not more than a kip 8, but it can last months / years.

So for ranking the absolute pain, it is CH, CRPS, migraine. But for life impact it is CRPS, migraine, CH.

But that is just for me. We're all different.

A few years ago I had a similar discussion with someone I was working with and it turned out that we both had migraines and both had CH, so we called it a draw.

IP Logged

AubanBird
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

everywhere...
Reply #224 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 1:17am

About the only people i bother explaining the pain of cluster headaches to anymore are dentists.  I don't accept local anaesthetic,  i hate the numb feeling.  But, i don't flinch when i am in the chair.  Root canals, fillings, extractions, oral surgeries, it doesn't matter.  My heart rate doesn't even go up.  When they ask me if i have lost feeling to my mouth(always happens), i tell them no, i suffer from cluster headaches, so dental work has become a walk in the park for me, since cluster headaches are MUCH worse. 

Thats not the actual reason i can go into the trance, as i learned that trick as a kid...
  Regardless, a dentist who just got done peeling your gum off the bone and grinding part of your jaw away, knowing you felt every bit of it and didnt so much as breath faster, is not likely to discredit your description of pain.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!