Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Send Topic Print
Dopiest responses to CH (Read 50862 times)
Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: Dopiest responses to CH
Reply #150 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 1:28pm

Who taught you to speak to your father that way? Grin

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #151 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 1:32pm

Grin Grin Grin

Chiggy, I like your style! Looking forward to seeing more of your posts! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

1968eric
CH.com Junior

Hawaii
Reply #152 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 11:04pm

Two more recent ones (very typical but dopey nonetheless) that come to mind:

"Why don't you just take a nap until it passes."

"You must have a lot on your mind, go get a massage."

(As if I'm going to waste good money on a massage when it might be interrupted by a CH.)

eric_oahu  
IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #153 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 11:44pm

Bumped for the benefit of our many, many new-found friends who may have heard something similar during their Cluster careers.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

jkclevel
CH.com Newbie

Boston, MA
Reply #154 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 12:08pm

I had sort of the opposite where I said something a little dopey for normal headaches but in doing so conveyed to the other person a bit of context for CHs.

Me: "I had an CH earlier but didn't have my O2 or imitrex with me so I was just listening to some loud music through my headphone"
Them: "Why would loud music help with a headache?"
Me: "Well, it doesn't really help, but its sort of like squeezing your skull really hard with your hands or banging your head on something when you have a headache"
Them: "Why would you bang your head or try to crush your skull if you have a headache?!?!?"
Me: "Oh... I dunno, it's just something people like do"
Them: "I don't think it is"
Me: "Really? It's at least sort of common for cluster headaches"
Them: *silent but looking concerned for me*

IP Logged

crouchingjedi
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #155 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 2:29pm

I normally try to keep the CH thing kind of just between family and close friends, but it has kind of interfered with work a little bit this time, so it has come up in conversation. I love when I get the response, "oh yeah, I get those cluster headaches too."

I want so badly to say, WOW! Both you and I are within the .1% of the population that gets these! WOW!

But I just don't have the energy to explain nor the sarcasm to invoke.

IP Logged

ttnolan
CH.com Veteran

beats me

Scotts Valley, CA
Reply #156 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 6:07pm

Stumbling out of my room in the morning...
GirlFriend: "You look like crap."
Me: "Ya, didn't sleep, kept getting hit every time I tried to lay down."
GF: "Well, you don't have anything you have to do today, so just go to bed and get all the sleep you need."
I didn't even have a response for that one.

IP Logged

AubanBird
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

everywhere...
Reply #157 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 1:00am

i really dont know what the dopiest response i have ever heard is, but i know who it probably came from...  good ol' Mom and Dad.

what is it about parents?  of all the people who give advice, they are the most oppressive about it! 

i avoid the topic at all costs with my father.  he just doesnt get it.  whats even worse than that is he has experienced some incredibly painful headaches in the past, but for some reason his went away several years ago.  NOW, looking back, he is convinced it was a change in diet.  conversations usually follow something like this:

him:  you still getting those headaches?
me:  yes
him:  you need to stop eating things your allergic to.
me:  i dont eat anything im allergic to.
him:  you must be, your still getting headaches
me:  stop eating oranges and you will stop aging
him:  no i wont, that makes no sense
me:  oh.  wait, i thought that was the kind of logic we were using today?

my mother is much more bearable.  even so, she usually suggests some form of magnetic bracelate or some such crockery.

fortunately, i have not had a headache in a while.  i also havent seen my parents in a while...  next time my dad brings it up, ill tell him im allergic to him. Grin
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2012 at 1:01am by AubanBird »  

IP Logged

ClusterHK
CH.com Junior

Ouch!

Now in Sydney, Australia!
Reply #158 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 12:04am

"No, we can't just have people walking in here and helping themselves to whatever medication they want, so the answer is NO. You queue up like everyone else and the doctor who will determine whether you need emergency oxygen or not."

Spoken by a medical practitioner...
... in a hospital
... in the Emergency Room
... when I suggested that I should be given a letter to show the triage so that I'd get oxygen immediately.

I have a sneaky suspicion that in this sort of situation, "suicide headaches" quickly transforms into "homicide headaches". Tongue

Now trying a beer test - fingers crossed.

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #159 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 5:56pm

"Oh, I've had one of those once." LOL. The very opposite of cluster headaches, of course. You can't just go to bootcamp ONCE, you gotta stay for basic training! Silly plebes.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

primetime
CH.com Junior

Still standing....barely

Baltimore, MD
Reply #160 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 1:22pm

Nothing new really to add, some great posts though. Funny and sad all at the same time.

I think it's human nature to try to "1 up" others. Yeah, you're busy but I'm REALLY busy, etc, etc. It may not even be a concious response in many cases, just an effort to shift the focus to themselves.

Or it may not even be that nefarious in nature. The typical "yeah, I get bad headaches, too" response may be in an effort to empathize or commiserate to a certain extent. Perhaps the friend or loved doesn't want the clusterhead to feel alone or isolated so they offer "yeah, me too" canned response. But if that person knew how unbelievably frustrating and annoying that was they wouldn't do it.

And let's face it, they don't get it and no one except another clusterhead can truly get it. The pain, the fatigue, the fear, the isolation and the other flood of emotions that come with a cluster attack are something that simply cannot be understood by anyone other than someone that has lived through hit after hit, cycle after cycle.

All I can say is thank god for this place and everyone here.

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

IP Logged

idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Reply #161 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 5:33pm

"here have some gum, it'll help"

"you must be on drugs" <- back when I was still in school, one of the vps told me this during an attack and I almost punched him in the face.

"breath deeply, it's the same oxygen you get at home" a great quote from the school nurse, which despite being in the throws of a kip 8, I managed to squeak out a laugh and tell her to fuck herself.

IP Logged

helplesswife
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Ontario, Canada
Reply #162 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 6:21pm

My mother:  "Did he try taking an allergy pill?"

My father to my husband:  "They've go you misdiagnosed...it's all the dust in your shop, the msg's in the food...you need to go organic..."  and it goes on and on...

IP Logged

ClusterHK
CH.com Junior

Ouch!

Now in Sydney, Australia!
Reply #163 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 3:30am

If oxygen works, it's a sure sign that you have cardiovascular and/or metabolic issues and it will only get worse as you get older.

(From a medical lab technician who thinks that staring at test tubes of blood all day makes him qualified to diagnose everything.)

Now trying a beer test - fingers crossed.

IP Logged

Tim in Texas
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Kerrville Texas
Reply #164 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 10:59pm

"Did you take anything for it?"
"Maybe you should see a doctor...."
" Yeah I get bad Mirgraines too....take 3 Tylenol PM's and go lay down......it cures mine"
"Are you gonna be ok? Maybe I should drive you"
""Oh I have a friend whos brother's sister's first cousin on her Mother's side gets those too. You should....."
There are so many. When they try to relate their puny Migraines to my CH's, or give me something stupid like an 800 ibprofern.....it irritates me. But the number one thing that irritates me is when you gotta "Monster" and they try to sit next to you and talk and won't shut up. I realize that they all mean well by their feeble attempt to comfort me, but man I don't want to hear anything abou CH's from someone who's never had one.

IP Logged

Tim Cobb
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #165 - Nov 21st, 2012 at 7:02am

From a good friend who is a herbist- "drink more water"

IP Logged

Tim Cobb
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #166 - Nov 21st, 2012 at 7:08am

jkclevel wrote on Oct 22nd, 2012 at 12:08pm:
I had sort of the opposite where I said something a little dopey for normal headaches but in doing so conveyed to the other person a bit of context for CHs.

Me: "I had an CH earlier but didn't have my O2 or imitrex with me so I was just listening to some loud music through my headphone"
Them: "Why would loud music help with a headache?"
Me: "Well, it doesn't really help, but its sort of like squeezing your skull really hard with your hands or banging your head on something when you have a headache"
Them: "Why would you bang your head or try to crush your skull if you have a headache?!?!?"
Me: "Oh... I dunno, it's just something people like do"
Them: "I don't think it is"
Me: "Really? It's at least sort of common for cluster headaches"
Them: *silent but looking concerned for me*

Now thats Funny and I can totally relate as I sat in the cxr with the stereo cranked one time just to break the pain

IP Logged

Chen
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Israel
Reply #167 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 11:50am

my family doctor after my mom and i diagnosed me (from the internet) with CH - "you don't have CH, you are not a 40 years old man how smokes and drink..."
another family doctor: "i know what CH is, believe me, you don't need imitrex injections, there are very good pills for CH...."
and another one, when i had streptococcus and in a cycle: "you think that your head hurts from the CH, but it's from the the streptococcus..."

IP Logged

CH Keith
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #168 - Nov 26th, 2012 at 2:35pm

I was at work trying to work through a hit and when my customer asked what was wrong and I told her I had CH and tried to explain in general terms, she told me that she recently converted to her new religion and she learned that "headaches" are really just memories of earlier trauma.  For example, if I fell off my bike when I was a child and hit my head near a freshly cut lawn, then I would get a headache everytime I smelled a freshly cut lawn.

I don't really remember a time that someone pushed their thumb into my eye socket as they were hitting my head with a hammer while I was sleeping, or when I was driving, or when I was working, or any of the other seemingly random times that this "memory" comes back, but good to know.

IP Logged

idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Reply #169 - Dec 8th, 2012 at 5:15am

"Your energy meridians are blocked"

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #170 - Dec 8th, 2012 at 12:48pm

My Top 3 dopiest responses i've been told include...

"Stop thinking about it, it's all in your head!"

"I had one of those once!"

"Go lay down!"

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Reply #171 - Dec 9th, 2012 at 6:57pm

I was recently told it was because I eat Gluten and if I stop eating gluten, my headaches would go away.

:headdesk:

IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #172 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 9:48pm

"Probably low blood sugar" (though that could a trigger)
"When the going get tough, the tough get going" (not quite sure what that was supposed to mean)
"Just think of how much your wife suffered when birthing your child" (yes, and did she birth 3 of them a day for a 3 month period?)

Oh the classics Cool
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2012 at 9:48pm by japanzaman »  

IP Logged

JArnold
CH.com Newbie

x0|Chesnee|USA||0|0|SC,South_Carolina
Reply #173 - Dec 11th, 2012 at 4:48am

I was recently in the er with a kip 8 spike.  The nurse turned off the light and came back with a hydrocodone.

Had a neuro once tell me I could just take Aleve.  I insulted his intelligence before walking out. 

Did find a neuro in Charleston SC that understands CH.

IP Logged

adamski
CH.com Junior

THANK YOU CH.com!

uk
Reply #174 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 5:43am

there is a few such as ....i get them ....do you smoke .....stop drinking coffee.....you worry too much....hes got a headache ....i hate it being described as a headache .....or when people laugh and joke about it like its a funny issue to them ....some people ignorance is an understatement

ADA
WWW adamski  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!