Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Cluster Headache CURE (Read 24448 times)
Potter
Ex Member

Re: Cluster Headache CURE
Reply #100 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 6:09pm

bakedcluster wrote on Sep 3rd, 2013 at 4:43pm:
[quote author=262930363120371A03372020450 link=1353155012/75#75 date=1354126637]Nope I’m not speaking for Dr. Shevel, I’m quoting him. As I recall him saying to me that, “
I can give you meds but if we do the ligation to artery your cluster headache will be gone for good

Although the previous threads here are relatively old, I have read them all with great interest. I am a newbie to the site but comment as my husband is a CH sufferer, we also live in SA and he has been to Shevel for the ligation treatment. I am very happy for Cluster Headache CURE that he found relief in the treatment he received (unfortunately in my husband's case, he was not so fortunate).
In retrospect, I would have done FAR more research than that which we did pre-treatment and even now would warn anyone considering the treatment, to SERIOUSLY not consider it.  Desperation can lead to silly decisions and that is the case with us.  Not only have we spent thousands of rands on having the treatment done - hence I have highlighted the sentence posted in Cluster Headache CURE's post above - my husband was told the precise same thing - seems to be a pitch in selling the procedure to possible candidates.
To cut a rather long story short, not only did the first ligation procedure not work (involved one cut on either side at the back of his head, cuts on each temple, cut above the right eyebrow, as well as cutting inside the mouth), he went back to Shevel as the CH did not cease. And he went back twice more after that - having two separate procedures done in one day. Botox injections did not work.
Needless to say, after all the thousands of rands spent on having the procedure done, he still suffers from CH and we are STILL spending wheelbarrows full of money on medication.
We don't live in the city Shevel is in and have to spend a fortune on transport getting to the clinic. Granted, he has footed the bill for two airplane trips to Johannesburg, but I don't feel in the least indebted to him for doing so.
So......what is the epilogue to this absolute nightmare story?  Shevel's advice is that my husband is to return to the clinic AGAIN as he is 'willing to operate'. But we have to pay our own way to Johannesburg and of course if the procedure doesn't work - fifth time around - well, what can Shevel do - at least he has loads of desperate people like us who are willing to do whatever it takes to perhaps have relief from this headache from hell.
My question is - cut our losses and have respite in the knowledge that by posting on forums such as these, we may warn others not to go the same route we did, approach a medical board to attempt to recoup some damages, return for a fifth procedure in the hope that this time around, something works and the CH is aborted for good?

Thank you.

Potter

IP Logged

Marc
CH.com Old Timer

TX
Reply #101 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 7:48pm

I will add my thanks to Mr. Potter's. Then, I will answer your question with my own anecdotal data, short and sweet.

- Been here since 1999 - some of the old timers know me
- I was chronic with CH's for 14 years, but I have my pain free life back
- I reached this point without bizarre surgeries, or dangerous drugs
- My biggest regret is that I didn't listen sooner

We are all different and some things work better than others for some people. Invest a modicum of research here and you will find answers that you never dreamed were possible.

Marc

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #102 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 8:46pm

I,  2nd. and 3rd. Marc's advice.

There is so much information on this site.  Please read until you understand it all.  It may take several days.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #103 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:26am

what Marc said!  Not PF yet, but I have my life back.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

stillgone
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Irvine
Reply #104 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 8:32pm

Wow, what a thread. I don't know if Dr. Shevel is ligit or not.  I do see a lot of correlations to my belief system regarding CH.  I do believe there caused by the swelling of a artery pushing up against a nerve.  I suffered too, but no longer, remission / cured, call it what you want.  I guess my point is don't ever give up.  I did it, you can too.  Just my opinion, you can yell or swear at me if you want; I've been through hell and back, I can take it.  God bless ya all.

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #105 - Sep 11th, 2013 at 8:14am

Now I'm really disappointed.  Danny Boy told me he was black but now I find he is as white as my sitting on part:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Potter
Ex Member

Reply #106 - Sep 11th, 2013 at 9:11am

Bob P wrote on Sep 11th, 2013 at 8:14am:
Now I'm really disappointed.  Danny Boy told me he was black but now I find he is as white as my sitting on part:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

That's funny.

Potter

IP Logged

dannyboy
CH.com Old Timer

Docs didn't design the
machine they're working
on

x0||||||
Reply #107 - May 31st, 2014 at 1:04am

Hi Guys,

I'm Danny. Ryan is a patient of ours. Was Smiley Sometimes we succeed. Sometimes we fail Sad Sometimes our successes are instant. Its not common but does happen. Ryan was one of them

There's a link on Clusterbusters that addresses much of this and I've just updated it

My apologies for being tardy, I know how much I'm missed

Where's Dennis O? Is he still around? I still wanna be him. And sailpappy? is he still alive? He doesn't like me much but one day he caught Jonny. I wish I could catch Jonny.

Its better for us to treat chronics. Then there's no question of cycles ending

Hi Bob! I missed you too Smiley You still the boss around here?! Dude, please, I'm in cognito. That twitter pic is not really me. My fro is just not credible when it comes to science 

Bedside manner is no substitute for a correct diagnosis - Bill Gates

IP Logged

dauber
Ex Member

Reply #108 - Jun 2nd, 2014 at 12:09am

I wonder if the new York rangers have what it takes to beat either the Chicago blackhawks or the LA kings?

IP Logged

Wayne
CH.com Old Timer

RedBull Rules!!

Christchurch, New Zealand|
Reply #109 - Jun 23rd, 2014 at 10:00pm

Interesting thread this. I was treated by Dr Shevel when I lived in South Africa. Quite an odd bloke actually, i went to see him for a second opinion when I was first diagnosed with CH and really didnt like what I was hearing about how the rest of my life was going to be. His team did a series of tests, confirmed the diagnosis of CH, put me on verapamil and told me all about oxygen as an abortive, 100% for that. Then they tried to sell be a massively expensive mouth piece (similar to a protector that you use for sport) that they swore would cure my CH by keeping my tongue off the pallet of my mouth. By that time I had found this site and was a little wiser so obviously declined the offer.
That mouth piece thing is the clinics main claim to fame and income generator and its used to treat tension headaches, with variable success I may add. The major medical aid groups there wont have anything to do with him.
He called me just before I left SA to tell me about the cauterization procedure. I never followed up as I put it in the same basket as the mouth piece.
I think he seriously believes in what he is doing but can be pretty unscrupulous wrt recommending things that will provide him with an income but not necessarily help the patient.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

IP Logged

PJJM68
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reply #110 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 7:48pm

I had the exact same experience as Wayne, the mouth piece did absolutely nothing for the headaches, but from what I know almost every person who goes to the clinic gets one of those!!!!

Having read the entire thread from beginning to end today I cannot help but ask myself the question: How is it that Cluster Cured knows so much about the CH's and the hypothalamus and and and.... Is he getting his information from Shevel. I have had these demons visit me every year for the past 15 years, I have read so much information on them but if you had to ask me about them there would be no way that I could use the terminology that Cluster Cured uses. Or is he just copying from Wikipedia????

Cluster Cured, I am really happy for you that you have got rid of the pain caused by clusters but I don't think you have actually found the ROOT cause of a cluster, and until the root cause is found, with no doubt, there cannot be a cure.

Another question I have is regarding "triggers" why do these CH's only appear for a few months at a time if I do not change my diet or way of living for the rest of the year. Surely a trigger would "trigger" a cluster each time I take the "trigger" Like a migraine, a known trigger is chocolate (for some people) and every time they eat chocolate they will get a migraine. I change nothing but every year when it is high summer I suffer with them for about 2 months, but as I said I never change my eating habits or my lifestyle?? This is really confusing me.
Bless you all. Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2015 at 8:40am by PJJM68 »  

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #111 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 10:02pm

Would seem to me he cares more about his bank balance
than his patients.

Hoppy
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2015 at 10:07pm by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

HoustonP
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #112 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 4:51pm

I'm from Johannesburg, South Africa. Dr Elliot's home town. I see some negativity on a few forums however he has also had resounding success with some individuals. I tracked a few patients down using their testimonials and made surprise calls. The treatment did not work for some and on the other hand I get laughter from those that are headache free for some 5 years. I will schedule in-person visits to see whats up. Works for some...others not. Guess that's just how the cookie crumbles. A family member (Mum) in need of treatment has seen Dr Shevel a few days ago. She felt instant relief when Dr Shevel placed a pressurized band around her head. Almost 100% pain relief. This is evidence to suggest that the arterial cauterization procedure may infact work... (head band pressing against arteries effectively simulating post-surgery results). I'm doing as much research as I can and over the next few days I will personally visit a few patients who have had success. I will report the results here. I'm not saying I'm sold on the idea of the surgery... its just that there are some people who are happy after the surgery and the pressurized head band seems to work. I'm just as skeptical as you guys are. I just hope there's a good chance that this is a good solution. Will let you know...

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #113 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 10:56pm

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Potter
Ex Member

Reply #114 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 1:49pm

HoustonP wrote on Aug 14th, 2016 at 4:51pm:
I'm from Johannesburg, South Africa. Dr Elliot's home town. I see some negativity on a few forums however he has also had resounding success with some individuals. I tracked a few patients down using their testimonials and made surprise calls. The treatment did not work for some and on the other hand I get laughter from those that are headache free for some 5 years. I will schedule in-person visits to see whats up. Works for some...others not. Guess that's just how the cookie crumbles. A family member (Mum) in need of treatment has seen Dr Shevel a few days ago. She felt instant relief when Dr Shevel placed a pressurized band around her head. Almost 100% pain relief. This is evidence to suggest that the arterial cauterization procedure may infact work... (head band pressing against arteries effectively simulating post-surgery results). I'm doing as much research as I can and over the next few days I will personally visit a few patients who have had success. I will report the results here. I'm not saying I'm sold on the idea of the surgery... its just that there are some people who are happy after the surgery and the pressurized head band seems to work. I'm just as skeptical as you guys are. I just hope there's a good chance that this is a good solution. Will let you know...

If yer Dannyboy fer sure go and get some cauterizing of yer brain,  if not don't waste your time.

Potter

IP Logged

Ilndguy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Michigan
Reply #115 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 7:06am

Good morning all

I am ew to this site and do not know of Danny or The doctor and I know there is no cure at this time. My cycle is hopefully ending and I'm getting nothing but shadows most of the day. After reading all the comment from cluster cure I put my finger in my mouth and pressed firmly on the outside of my upper gum at my back teeth. I don't know if it is in my mind but the shadow seemed to stop. I would like to know if anyone with a dancing headache would try this and if it would help. Just trying to help

Ilndguy

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #116 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 9:09am

Ilndguy,

Sounds a bit weird, but then CH is weird. I'll give it a try and let you know.

Cheers,

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

dauber
Ex Member

Reply #117 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 4:15pm

Oh, Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From glen to glen, and down the mountain side.
The summer's gone, and all the roses falling,
It's you, it's you must go and I must bide.
But come ye back when summer's in the meadow,
Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow,
It's I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow,—
Oh, Danny boy, O Danny boy, I love you so!
But when ye come, and all the flowers are dying,
If I am dead, as dead I well may be,
Ye'll come and find the place where I am lying,
And kneel and say an Avè there for me.
And I shall hear, though soft you tread above me,
And all my grave will warmer, sweeter be,
For you will bend and tell me that you love me,
And I shall sleep in peace until you come to me!

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #118 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 9:46pm

Llndguy, I've long done something very similar. No idea how it works but I'm sure it does.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!