Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 4:26pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 5-HT activity in Kudzu »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   5-HT activity in Kudzu
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9  ...  27 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 5-HT activity in Kudzu  (Read 32695 times)
godsjoy777
New Board Veteran
USA 

HIS name is above clusters

godsjoy777  
Email

Re: 5-HT activity in Kudzu
« Reply #150 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 1:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks Nani......Thanks to you all for the help.....Now....if I would just get my stubborn butt to bed.....I am sooooo exhausted......but I was hit soooooooo hard last night I guess subconsiously I'm fighting sleep.....

My wonderful, precious husband.....conks out at 9:00pm like clockwork.....I, on the otherhand get so aprehensive during cluster season.....working on month 6......

Bless you guys,
Karen
IP Logged
PaulL
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #151 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 10:20am »

My headaches stopped about a month ago but lately I've been getting some very unpleasant shadows at the same time that my headaches came.  So I've started using kudzu for the last two days and it seems  to have stopped the shadows quite nicely.  It's not a test with the real CHs but it's suggestive and it's making life better.  I'd tried the kudzu about a week ago and the shadows went away.  Thinking that it was just the end of the episode I stopped.  Guess there's a long tail to this one.

I'm taking one Planetary Formulas 750 mg tablet at night to stop my 6am shadows.
IP Logged
BlueMeanie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #152 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 10:59am »

Has anyone who fits the below criteria also received postive results from this KUDZU stuff ?

(1) Has naturally occuring Cluster Headaches NOT caused by surgerys, brain anurysyms, car wrecks and/or accidents etc. ?

(2) That ONLY gets Cluster Headaches and NOT Migraines, CPH, Icepicks and other types of headaches ?

(3) That is Episodic and NOT Chronic ?

(4) In the middle or PEAK of your cycle ?

I'm asking because I'm a true believer that there are some commonalities in treatments associated with the type of situation you get your Clusters.

Congrats to those that it is working. Glad to hear you're PF and hope that KUDZU stuff keeps working  for you.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #153 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 12:20pm »

To clarify....I had episodic CH for 26 years before my brain aneurysm.  
I think Shiraj is episodic and in what should be the peak of his cycle.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #154 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 12:44pm »

started kudzu today.... Smiley
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #155 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 1:25pm »

I am a natural clusterhead.  No trauma here (except that of looking in the mirror every day.  I am episodic.  About my cycle, this one has been a rollercoaster, so who the hell knows whether it is peak or not.  I can tell you that my head hurt pretty bad, and then it felt better.  I think the Kudzu has helped a lot.  Other types of headaches: I have never been "diagnosed" with any, but I do get headaches that are dual sided and center in the forehead, raher than oned-sided in the eye (though, unfortunately, I get those too.)  I would call them migraines.  

Now that that is settled...

I am shadowing a bit in the mornings and evenings, about the times I usually get hit.  The shadows aren't too bad, and don't last too long.  Also, I feel the "trigeminal activity" that some have reported.  What that is I don't know, I would say very light shadows.  I just "feel" the right side of my head.

All that said, there has been a marked improvement for me since I started taking the kudzu.  Today is Day 8.  Yesterday, I moved from 2 pills/day to 3 pills.  I am on the Solaray: http://www.nutraceutical.com/search/view_product.cfm?product_index=3680

Hope it is going well for all,
Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Where I live: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #156 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 2:12pm »

on Feb 24th, 2005, 12:44pm, sandie99 wrote:
started kudzu today.... Smiley

Yeah...you go girl! I think you'll find some relief, Sandie. I really do!
Casey, I'm glad you're back to getting improvement.

Get in the boat, people. The destination is PF land!  Smiley
IP Logged

godsjoy
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #157 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 2:24pm »

I've been diagnosed episodic CH-been that way for 15 years with one year reprieve.....I usually have a cycle the 10th month after the last one finishes....Unfortunately this is becomming the longest of record yet....going on the 6th month....

I occasionally get migraines and some sinus and tension headaches too....I definately know the difference.....I had such a bad night the other night that my co-worker tried to lift the skin back up on my right eye(my cluster side)...She said it looked like I had a stroke or something....ONE HARD NIGHT WITHOUT O2.....Got some now....phew!!!!! And I started again this morning with the Kudzu....I am taking 900mgs this am....and plan to take the same this evening as the 750mg am and pm was not doing much....but of course I only got to take it for a day or so......I'm just anxious....can you tell? Grin
OK.....I'll keep going and let you know how it goes....I also am taking soloray 150mgs....but much more than one or 2 pills...
Bless y'all,
Karen
IP Logged

Think as one of action...
Act as one of thought
and pray...pray....pray...
ozzy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

As I Am

WWW Email

« Reply #158 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 2:41pm »

Blue,

I was formerly a natural episodic CHer for 14 years, then two years ago I became chronic.

Ozzy
IP Logged
BlueMeanie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #159 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 3:55pm »

I'm really getting excited about what you all are saying here.  Sorry if I ask alot of tough questions, but I'm a big skeptic when it comes to Clusters if you can't tell.  Wink

Hope it works for you too Karen. Please keep us posted.

One more question:  If this stuff works like a Triptan and you're not suppose to take Triptans, are you flurting with disaster and have you checked with your doctor about it ? It just seems that if your constantly contricting those blood vessels it may not be a good thing.
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #160 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 5:27pm »

Having just had a day from hell the nicest thing happend. I got an email saying  
"Your Order #661331 placed with VitaCost Online Store has been shipped to the consolidation center, where it is being prepared for international shipping."
NOTHING has helped today. I'd have eaten ground glass earlier if someone told me they thought it would have helped.
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #161 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 6:06pm »

[b][/b]Holy cow!!What a thread!!I just started Kudzu.150 X 2 a day,Tuesday.Going to give it a chance.Still having some shadows,but no CH kip 5 or above.Saying a little prayer(wait make that a big Prayer) it works.I'll let everyone know how it works out. SmileyDavid
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #162 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 6:44pm »

on Feb 24th, 2005, 3:55pm, BlueMeanie wrote:
I'm a big skeptic when it comes to Clusters if you can't tell.

Like you and your balding pate have a corner on skepticism around here???

If this stuff works like a Triptan and you're not suppose to take Triptans, are you flurting with disaster and have you checked with your doctor about it ?

Actually, none of us know anything. Mahatma Floridian is the master guru of info at this point, and he's the one that stated they may "trip" over one another......possibly.....kinda.
Nobody has any idea what will happen if mixed. No use asking a doc or pharmacist. They have no clue. We're in uncharted territory.
This whole thing is like a Star Trek show, Kudzu style. Damned interesting, too. No telling how much Placebo Effect is involved here.......
Once we dig out of this filthy snowstorm tomorrow, maybe I'll chaw down a fistful of Kuzu pills, and do a snort of trex. Beta testing has always interested me, but I want to make sure the ambulance can get me the hell out of this place in case I've "tripped" over an important detail.

Exciting times,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #163 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 7:36pm »

Hello - I'm an old newbie!  Found this site 5 years ago when I first experienced CH and thought I was going to die.  This forum was a Godsend.  After 4 months of CH, then only tiny, very manageable CH every now and then for the next 5 years.  Until now.  So, I'm back, and I never should have left you guys.  Found this forum about Kudzu and got excited.  Read the posts this afternoon at work, ran to my local health food store and picked up a bottle of Nature's Way Kudzu Root - 613mg capsules (same as Mr. Happy).  Came home and took two right away, along with one B complex and  one White Willow Bark (400mg).  The guy at the store recommended Willow Bark as an asprin substitute to take twice a day as a possible preventative.  Hey!  I'll try anything at this point.

I am female, aged 58, and apparently an episodic, but my episodes seem very unusual in that I had severe CH (head bangers) five years ago, then maybe k3 or k4 now and then, and now back to the head bangers.  I take Imitrex tablets only when I know the CH is going to be a doozy, and I've learned to tell by the speed at which the thing comes on.  Other than that, I take 3 extra strength Excedrin, ice packs, and tons of water, and, of course, those aren't working very well.  I am menopausal, not taking any HRT.  My CH start in the evenings - right around dinner time - great for a diet - maybe I'll lose weight.  I will have a mild one at around 6:00, then around 10:00 a 7 or 8.  Last night, it was reversed, had the biggie at 6:30, and it finally eased enough so I could fall asleep around 11:00, but I've had shadows all day, and right now am having about a 3.  

I'm excited to give Kudzu a try and will do my best to keep a diary of symptoms.  Wish me luck .

Keep the faith and be PF  Wink
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #164 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 7:48pm »

Sandy, sorry its hitting you hard, but glad you are in for the "trial."  I know that you read all the posts here.  I would just say to think about it before taking the imitrex in conjunction with the Kud.  At least until Mr. Happy trys it out tomorrow and reports.  If he reports from home, we might be ok, if from the hospital, we will know... Wink

Kidding aside, I really hope it works out for you.  Sorry your here, but welcome aboard.

Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Where I live: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #165 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 8:27pm »

I've been taking volumes of notes off this thread!

Since I'm a 4-5 yr cycler and just finished this past summer, it will be (I hope) a while yet.  But, i'ts so exciting to see my chronic friends finally getting relief!  My biggest hope is that our episodic friends will keep posting their results, and (of course) that the results for them will also be positive.

Perhaps we should all move south and start a "cluster colony"?  As a group, we could probably help with the threat of Kudzu invasion.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
ErikY
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #166 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 8:54pm »

Since I upped the dose of the Nature's way to 3 pills, 3 times per day, no hits for me.

A few shadows here and there, but no actual hits.

I should mention that I have also upped my water intake big time and water is a big preventive for me.

Whatever it has been, over 72 hours without a hit.  My cycle definatley is not over because I still feel activity in my eye and temple that I dont get when i am not getting the HA's.
IP Logged
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #167 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 9:18pm »

Oh well, guess I've joined the crowd.   Went today and picked up the Kudzu...

I finished a Pred taper on the 25th of January.   I had 42 days of total PF time.    However, 2 nights ago, the bastard came back.   I'm sick of this shit!   I hate these fuckin' ha's and the way they make me feel.

Sure hope the K works....if not, I may take the route of BobW and CB.

Good luck all,

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
PaulL
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #168 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 9:34pm »

RJ,

I once had a conversation with a top neuorologist at Mass General Hospital about how they go about testing new medication for migraine and cluster.  He said migraine tests are very difficult since there is a 50% placebo effect so you are never quite sure if the medication really helps.  On the other hand, cluster is easy since the placebo effect is 0%.  Based on that observation and lots of personal experience I think that Nani and all the rest are getting genuine relief from the kudzu.  The only real question at this point is whether it only works for a small fraction of CH sufferers, as is true of so many meds, or if it works for lots of people, like Imitrex.  Let's hope it's as effective as Imitrex, but only time and experience will tell.

Maybe the webmaster can add kudzu to the medication survey so that we can learn how effective it is as more people take it.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #169 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 12:03am »

Oh goody...it's great to see so many on board. Looks like we got some beta testing going on. This is really exciting...I hope it works as well for everyone as it has for me!!
  Smiley
IP Logged

unsolved1

Email

« Reply #170 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 12:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Interesting topic. So how many are trying this and how many people are benefiting from it ?? Should I be running to buy this yet ?

Unsolved
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #171 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 12:29am »

Sorry if I ask alot of tough questions,

Good ones Blue.
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #172 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 1:12am »

I started kudzu yesterday and so far.... NO CH! And no shadows.  Smiley
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

magman
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #173 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 5:10am »

Floridian,
Thank you for all of the research and compilation of facts presented here and in your online document.

Seeing the interest, number of people involved in this 'beta-test', and the need to track the results, I have added kudzu to CHATS under 'Alternative Meds Treatment'.

I urge all those now 'beta-testing' kudzu to use the CHATS system to track your progress. If you do not have a login or are having difficulties with your current CHATS user-id/password, please email me at chats-beta@kdlltd.com. I will provide a toll-free number for CHATS assistance in my reply email message.

C.H.A.T.S. Login

Warm regards,
-dan
PS Randy....your chats login was just tested and confirmed. Email on the way with particualrs.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #174 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 9:28am »

Thanks, Dan!! OK- I'm going to start doing this asap...everyone else in? BTW...One shadow yesterday and a tension HA.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9  ...  27 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss