Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 4:55pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 5-HT activity in Kudzu »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   5-HT activity in Kudzu
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10  ...  27 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 5-HT activity in Kudzu  (Read 32697 times)
floridian

Email

Re: 5-HT activity in Kudzu
« Reply #175 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 9:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks, Dan,

I think CHATS is the best way to gather data in a consistent format.  And whether people are trying kudzu or not, please think about beta-testing this important software.  

I agree with PaulL that there isn't really a placebo effect for clusters (believing in a sugar pill will not stop the beast). But there is problem with the unpredictability of clusters - if an episodic starts a new treatment a few days before their cycle winds down, they may mistakenly believe that the treatment was of value.  I don't think that is what is going on here (experienced chronics and episodics are reporting rapid improvement!), but systematic observation is a good thing.
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2005, 10:46am by floridian » IP Logged
Racer1_NC
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Beeeyul the Cat"

Email

« Reply #176 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 12:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well folks...count me in on the Kudzu testing. I've purchased the NATURE'S WAY Kudzu Root 613mg bottle. My local health food store had 2 different types, but I selected this one because it seems several people here have started on this brand so I will as well.

I'm cronic, but the CH is controlled well by Verapamil 240 x 1. I taper off the Verap about every 6 weeks, just to check if the CH is still hanging around......in 2-3 days the beast returns. My plan is to start the Kudzu, and then taper off the Verap in about a week.  

Time will tell......but damn I hope this works.

Bill
IP Logged

"Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime."

Eventus stultorum magister.
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #177 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 1:00pm »

I'm in also. Mine is supposed to arrive via UPS today as none of our local healthfood and vitamn stores were carrying the Nature's Way. Just can't stop humming that song everytime I see the name "It's nature's way of telling
you something's wrong It's nature's way of telling you in a song"
I ran around checked about 5 stores -- so call ahead and save the running around.  

An alternate brand had the wonderful subtitle on the label "For alcohol cessation". No, how about Cluster Headaches for alcohol cessation......

IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
ArCane
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Onward through the fog

Email

« Reply #178 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 3:24pm »

I have a question about kudzu.   I know everyone is trying it out and not all the results are in, but I was wondering.  Im an episodic clusterhead.  Since this stuff is working for you chronics and helping episodics in a cycle, can this help me prevent a cycle all together?  Im not in a cycle now and Im curious.  If I take it everyday could it help prevent a cycle from starting or prolong my PF time?  Would it be worth a try?  How would I know its working?  Thanks all.
IP Logged

Alchemy’s First Law of Equivalent Exchange: To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
floridian

Email

« Reply #179 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 3:55pm »

on Feb 25th, 2005, 3:24pm, ArCane wrote:
I have a question about kudzu.   I know everyone is trying it out and not all the results are in, but I was wondering.  Im an episodic clusterhead.  Since this stuff is working for you chronics and helping episodics in a cycle, can this help me prevent a cycle all together?  Im not in a cycle now and Im curious.  If I take it everyday could it help prevent a cycle from starting or prolong my PF time?  Would it be worth a try?  How would I know its working?  Thanks all.

Good questions.  My guess is that if you know a cycle is coming on, it might prevent it or blunt it, but that is speculation.  How would you know its working?  My cycles are only in the summer, but not every summer, so I wouldn't know for sure that it is working.
IP Logged
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #180 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 4:38pm »

I'm episodic and in a remission right now, but I'm going to give it a try at the first sign of a cycle starting up.  I have been fairly good at identifying the beginnings of cycles over the years, and hopefully, although it would be anecdotal, I would be able to see if kudzu makes any kind of difference.
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
Melissa

Email

« Reply #181 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 4:47pm »

Just wanted to say I've been following this thread since it began.  I feel very encouraged by it and want to thank those who are trying this possible preventative for experimenting.  Hopefully, if things go well, I'll try this route this year as I am expected to get my cycle in Sept.  

thx,
mel
IP Logged
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #182 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 5:15pm »

Started Kudzu last night - two capsules 613 mg each.  Had small k3 around 7:00, which is usually my VERY bad time, so this was great.  The rest of the evening went fine, some shadows and tingles, but no real hit.  Bed at 11:00, and was awakened at 1:00 AM with a CH.  This is really odd, because I have NEVER been awakened in the middle of the night with a HA.  Got up, took 3 excedrin, 12 oz glass of water and ice pack figuring I'd be up for quite a while.  Low and behold - 15 minutes later - GONE!  Wonderful.  Went back to bed and slept the rest of the night.

Took two more Kudzu this morning - some shadows and activity - no hits.  Two more at lunch about 1:00, back to work, and at 2:00 got hit - again not a biggie, and lasted about 15 to 20 minutes with excedrin and ice pack.  

So, bottom line - less than 24 hours and I DO see some improvement.  Some oddities also - someone else (can't remember who) posted that he had noticed shadows and activity on the opposite side of his head.  Me too!  Wonder what this means????  So far mixed results - but promising.  Gonna keep going.

By the way - my urine is the brightest color yellow I've ever seen.  Is this from the Kudzu or the B complex I'm taking in the morning?

How do I get to the chats???  I apparently don't have a CHAT log in or something because it won't let me in.

Have a PF night.

Sandy Huh
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #183 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 8:32pm »

Well, good news from me...

I started the Kudzu yesterday.....had no shadows last night.....and NO CH!!!

YEEHAW!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this really works..... Huh

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #184 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 10:26pm »

Jean...repeat after me...it will work, it will work, it will work...  
I'm so glad you found some relief with this. It seems the news keeps getting better and better... Smiley

Sandy, maybe you should try a dose at bedtime to see if it keeps the nighttime hits away.  

Me...still doin' great!  Again not 100% PF, but tiny shadows for a few minutes here and there. I can live with this!   Smiley
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Damon
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #185 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 1:27am »

Thank you all for the valueable info. Will start trying tomorrow after neuro appt.  I am curious about one thing, Kudzu works on alcohol cravings and alcohol triggers HA's, is there a connection? Huh

PFDAN to you all,
   Damon
IP Logged
godsjoy777
New Board Veteran
USA 

HIS name is above clusters

godsjoy777  
Email

« Reply #186 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 3:17am »

I'm up after sucking O2 for 2nd CH hit of the night....Started the Kudzu the other day again....taking around 600 mgs am and anothe 600mgs pm....still get the 3 hits in my sleep ....11:30....1:30 and 3:30....then I have to get up to go to work at 6:30 .....how long can this go on?

Will keep taking the Kudzu....I'm taking 250mgs of Zonegran as well in the pm and Excedrins PM when necessary and lots of O2....I wonder which brand of Kudzu seems to be the best....I have noticed a tightness in my chest during the day which is what I was experiencing earlier in my cycle which I thought was due to my triptal intake.....thus switching to the "back to the O2....natural way".....Anybody else egt the tightning of the chest?

Karen
PS....I couldn't log into that journal things either...any clues?
IP Logged
ArCane
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Onward through the fog

Email

« Reply #187 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 4:37am »

on Feb 26th, 2005, 1:27am, Damon wrote:
   Thank you all for the valueable info. Will start trying tomorrow after neuro appt.  I am curious about one thing, Kudzu works on alcohol cravings and alcohol triggers HA's, is there a connection? Huh

PFDAN to you all,
                  Damon

Good question!
IP Logged

Alchemy’s First Law of Equivalent Exchange: To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #188 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 7:14am »

Thank you Dan, I'm in CHATS.    Please give me some basic information on what type of information you think I should enter - how detailed?  Remember, I'm a real Newbie,   I know  I need to specify what I'm taking, dosage, times of day, etc., and report CH, HA, side effectcs.  Is there some specific format I should follow?  

Sorry to be such a dummy, but I don't want to screw up results by doing something stupid.

Thanks

Sandy
IP Logged

And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #189 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 9:14am »

OK.I've read thru many threads and seen all kinds of dosages.I've got Kudzu Extract 150 mg.Right now I'm taking 1-2X a day.Should I increase dosage?Or stay with this and see if it works,or increase it right away?Started on Tuesday so I'm in my 5th day and Shadows have still been hanging around with some spikes but no real kick ass CH.For as much of this stuff that grows in the south is sure is expensive.Solray 150 mg. 60 caps.is $17.00 anyone have a cheaper source? HuhDavid
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #190 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 10:06am »

Legal Status: WSDA Quarantined Plant

annual Kudzu Festival in Blythewood, Georgia.

Detrimental: Kudzu is a highly aggressive invasive plant which is extremely difficult to control once established. According to researchers at Clemson University, lands infested with Kudzu are generally good for only one purpose – growing Kudzu. Kudzu is so aggressive it covers and smothers all other plants in its path resulting in solid single species stands eliminating native species and natural diversity. Trees may be covered with kudzu and damaged by the weight of the vegetation resulting in loss of limbs or tree death from insufficient light necessary for photosynthesis. Once established, Kudzu can render lands unusable for timber production or agriculture. The Congressional Office of Technology estimated the economic costs of Kudzu at $50 million annually (Hoots and Stewart, 1997). Control costs are estimated to increase by $6 million per year (Agricultural Research Service) as landowners struggle to contain this plant. The weight of the vines can bring down power lines and collapse buildings.

pictures to follow

IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #191 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 10:38am »

on Feb 26th, 2005, 9:14am, toolong wrote:
OK.I've read thru many threads and seen all kinds of dosages.I've got Kudzu Extract 150 mg.Right now I'm taking 1-2X a day.Should I increase dosage?Or stay with this and see if it works,or increase it right away?Started on Tuesday so I'm in my 5th day and Shadows have still been hanging around with some spikes but no real kick ass CH.For as much of this stuff that grows in the south is sure is expensive.Solray 150 mg. 60 caps.is $17.00 anyone have a cheaper source? HuhDavid

David,

Solaray is what I have.  Here in Canada it is $26 for 60 caps.  Even with the exchange that is no good.  I am taking it 3x a day and it is doing well for me.  folridian can correct me, in fact, anyone can, but I am not sure it is the size of the capsule that matters, but the amount of the active ingredient that is included.  The Solaray is 2% daidzin, or, 3mg.  I should go back and read the articles floridian posted again, because I am not sure which ingredient affects the receptors.

I am going to taper my verapamil, as, I am having trouble sleeping again.  When I was on 480mg of verap I was having shortness of breath and dizziness, and a really hard time sleeping because I couldn't breathe, possibly from low bp.  I went down to 320mg, and started sleeping fine, with no dizziness.   Now up to 3 of the Solaray Kudzu capsules a day.  Since Kudzu can also be effective for BP, maybe, since I am having trouble sleeping, maybe it is a bit low.  I don't know.  But I will taper the verap starting today anyway.

As for headaches.  A few minor shadows, and no hits.  Last night I had a wicked headache, but it wasn't a cluster.  Dual sided in the temples across forehead.  Not centered in right eye.  Tension? Migraine?  I don't know.  Took 2 Midrin and I was fine.  And, no rebound.  Today is day 10.  So far so good.

Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Where I live: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #192 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 11:09am »

Recap of day 2 on Kudzu - Been taking 2 cap, 613 mg each since 6:30 pm Thursday 2/24.  First night and yesterday afternoon at work, as posted earlier, a little strange.  Last night and this morning, even stranger.  Pretty much PF most of the afternoon and early evening yesterday.  About 9:00 last night, started to get a hit, so took my excedrin and ice pack - 15 minutes later - all gone - wonderful.  But, and this is a big BUT!  For the rest of the night, I got hit after hit after hit, just just shadows, real hits, each one stronger than the last one.  I would have about a 30 to 45 minute break between hits, and each hit would last about 15 to 20 minutes.  Ended up taking another three excedrin, (6 in aabout a 3 hour period) which can't be good for my stomach.  This went on until 3:30 this morning, when I finally collapsed in bed and slept.  Since awakening this morning, I have had constant shadows, bordering on a hit, but not quite.  Also, bloodshot right eye, dull ache in right ear - feels like pain from wax buildup in ear.  Had sensations of dull HA all across my forehead (tension??), but a hot shower and shampoo seems to have eased that one somewhat.

The Kudzu is definitely lessening the duration and intensity of the CH, but is seems to be changing the patterns and causing some other little problems for me.  I wonder why??  Anyone got ideas?  

I'm still going to continue the Kudzu - and Nani - you are right, I haven't been taking a dose before bedtime.  Will do tonight.

Thanks for the info and support.  Hanging in there!

Cry
IP Logged

And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
floridian

Email

« Reply #193 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 12:48pm »

anyone have a cheaper source? HuhDavid

Several people mentioned vitacost.com.  I put a link to that in the kudzu article.  

http://med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Kudzu
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2005, 12:48pm by floridian » IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #194 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 12:52pm »

Quote:
The Kudzu is definitely lessening the duration and intensity of the CH, but is seems to be changing the patterns and causing some other little problems for me.  I wonder why??  Anyone got ideas?  

Several reports sound similar to what can happen with clusterbusters ... one person (in an email) who has tried both said that kudzu did feel similar to shrooms.  We do know that sometimes the beast makes a bumpy exit when that alternative treatment is tried.  

We don't know if a short course of kudzu will banish the beast, or if it has to be taken for the whole cycle (or long term for chronics).
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2005, 12:59pm by floridian » IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #195 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 12:56pm »

http://www.iherb.com/kudzu1.html

price is 12.03 a bottle and an online order discount after that. free shipping.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Melissa

Email

« Reply #196 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 1:52pm »

on Feb 26th, 2005, 11:09am, Sandy_C wrote:
About 9:00 last night, started to get a hit, so took my excedrin and ice pack - 15 minutes later - all gone - wonderful.  But, and this is a big BUT!  For the rest of the night, I got hit after hit after hit, just just shadows, real hits, each one stronger than the last one.  I would have about a 30 to 45 minute break between hits, and each hit would last about 15 to 20 minutes.  Ended up taking another three excedrin, (6 in aabout a 3 hour period) which can't be good for my stomach.  This went on until 3:30 this morning, when I finally collapsed in bed and slept.  

Sandy,  

Just wondering why you keep popping the Excedrin?  Maybe you should try taking Aleve instead for the shadows, to try and keep your CH's from rebounding?

Smileymel
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #197 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 2:11pm »

http://www.jjanthony.com/kudzu/houses.html
 Grin
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #198 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 3:10pm »

OMG this stuff is like a creeping crud....

laugh
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Shiraj
New Board Newbie
USA 

ow

king0fsnake

« Reply #199 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 3:55pm »

Hey im checking in again my clusters are all gone but i get nasty shadows on wednesdays and saturdays that last a few hours. How wierd is that. Any good tips for getting rid of the shadows?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10  ...  27 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss