Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 4:01pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 5-HT activity in Kudzu »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   5-HT activity in Kudzu
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11  ...  27 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 5-HT activity in Kudzu  (Read 32694 times)
godsjoy777
New Board Veteran
USA 

HIS name is above clusters

godsjoy777  
Email

Re: 5-HT activity in Kudzu
« Reply #200 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 5:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Checking in....

I had one more Cluster as usual (these days anyway...that's 3 per night) last night.....after my middle of the night check in....I abort with O2.....then I awoke and inhales some more O2 for a little shadow before I had an early appointment to keep.....sigh....wonder when I will get sleep....I took 600 mgs Kudzu again this am and will again this pm......and as suggested add some meletonin with it....I have put a timer by my bed so when I start sucking O2 I will wake up before I waste all the oxyen.....

Hopeing for some relief soon...You all are giving me hope....so I press on....what else can I do?

Love you all,
Karen
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #201 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 5:39pm »

Karen, I also added B Complex 50 and magnesium at the same time I added the kudzu. Perhaps they will help?
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #202 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 12:50am »

zu'ing the kud for two days now.

chowed on two capsules yesterday and one earlier today.

moderate shadow this PM.    popped two zu's as soon as the tickle started.  fine two hours later... which may be unique... my shadows tend to nibble on my skull for 6-8 hours usually.  still aok... laid bait for the beast in the form of multiple tequila-based beverages... no sign.
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
Shiraj
New Board Newbie
USA 

ow

king0fsnake

« Reply #203 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 2:53am »

(1) Has naturally occuring Cluster Headaches NOT caused by surgerys, brain anurysyms, car wrecks and/or accidents etc. ?

Yeah got them starting when i was 14. No surgery or whatnot

(2) That ONLY gets Cluster Headaches and NOT Migraines, CPH, Icepicks and other types of headaches ?

Yeah only clusters here. I dont think ive ever had a regular
headache.

(3) That is Episodic and NOT Chronic ?

I didnt even know you could be chronic at this til i saw this site. I wish i could give chronics a medal or something.

(4) In the middle or PEAK of your cycle ?

Yeah i should be at the peak of mine right now.

IP Logged
eddie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

PFDAN TO ALL

« Reply #204 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 12:48pm »

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/HerbsTake/0,3927,552062|Kudzu,00.h tml

may help, interesting  

cook with it to mmmm!!!
http://home.att.net/~ejlinton/jelly.html

the link above works now if you want to cook with kudzu
LOL

« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2005, 8:30pm by eddie » IP Logged

PFDAN TO ALL>><< http://www.putfile.com/ededearl>>><music> http://www.myspace.com/pamneddie
godsjoy777
New Board Veteran
USA 

HIS name is above clusters

godsjoy777  
Email

« Reply #205 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 3:50pm »

Thanks Eddie....very interesting......It should also help with menopausal symptoms.....cool...thats just one more thing I'm going through....but nothing....absolutely nothing compared to the Clusters.....so I am still getting hit 3X per night....I added some magnesium that I found I had in my suppliment drawer....and some meletonin last night....at least I got some good sleep for the short hours I did get....and interesting dreams....

I guess it has been about 3 days this time around on the kudzu so far....waiting for some nitetime relief.....I take a good natural multivitamin as well.....so I get plenty of vitimins.

I think I take more meds than my husband now....which is remarkable....He is a kidney transplant patient and takes a bundle of pills both am and pm..... Shocked

On with the experiment!
Love you guys,
Karen
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2005, 3:52pm by godsjoy777 » IP Logged
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #206 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 6:37pm »

Hmmm helps with menopausal symptoms??  Ok, where do I get a bottle?  Even if it doesn't help with the clusters, I'll take it for hot flashes!

Guess I'm off to GNC in the morning.

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #207 on: Feb 28th, 2005, 8:55am »

This is my 25th day without a hit. I was startled awake this morning and started to feel like a hit might be coming. I got really nervous...and just as quickly as I felt it might come on...it was gone. A 2 minute jab. Still shadowing ever so slightly.  Smiley
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #208 on: Feb 28th, 2005, 9:27am »

Here is my report of my first weekend on “the root”. My Nature’s Way Kudzu Root extract arrived via UPS on Friday. Being mid-cycle, I thought it would be worth a go. My HA’s were being triggered this time from running/vigorous exercise. No middle of the night wake up calls in this cycle yet but I was seeing my cycle deepen in severity (had a true kip 10 on Wed of last week) and was walking around with a general shadow for a couple of days. I presently take no preventatives or abortives.

I took 2 caplets on Friday afternoon and then 2 more on Friday before bed. Had my first wake up in the middle night at 1:30 a.m. with a Kip 3. It was very brief, lasting only 30 minutes. Then another (about Kip 2) at about 4 a.m. This was definitely a change in cycle behavior for me. On the bright side these were among the lightest and shortest lived clusters I have had to date.

Took 2 caplets Saturday morning, two more at lunch and two more at dinner. Was a little tired so went to bed early Saturday. Woke up with HA (Kip 3) at 11:30 p.m. Took dog out in cold air and it was gone within 30 minutes. Slept rest of night.

Haven’t had vigorous exercise in three days. Also haven’t had a beer in three days. Kudzu Root is supposed to help with that also…. Apparently the Chinese used to use this for withdrawal symptoms from alcohol.

Sunday, took regimen of capsules, morning, lunch and dinner. No clusters Sunday night.

I know they are still in there. I can sense them lurking around in there but PF for Sunday.

Will keep you posted as I am going to yoga tonight to see how we do through exercise.

Have not felt any remarkable transformation as a result of taking it, but would recognize the change in cycle behavior and the shortened length and decreased intensity as possibly attributable. But, as you all know, who knows for sure? My cycles are often different from each other, my triggers are not always consistent, although my severity is rarely as light as the last couple days.

Initial judgement --- maybe, there's sumpin' different goin' on.

IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #209 on: Feb 28th, 2005, 9:41am »

regarding the price queries....

i found my supply of Nature's Way (50 capsules/613 mg) from www.good-earth.com for $8.61. This does not include shipping, and since I rushed them for shipment my cost was not reflective of their std. shipping charge.  

IP Logged

seasonal boomer
ozzy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

As I Am

WWW Email

« Reply #210 on: Feb 28th, 2005, 12:57pm »

Friday I got hit. Not major maybe a K5-6. Since then I have upped the kudzu to 600 mg daily (as opposed to 300). Shadows today, but they have vanished. Stilll going.....

Ozzy
IP Logged
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #211 on: Feb 28th, 2005, 5:09pm »

Started Kudzu evening of 2/24 - now in my 4th full day of doses - 2 613 mg caplets per dose - 6:00 am - lunch - before bed.  I can honestly say - THIS IS GREAT!!!
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #212 on: Feb 28th, 2005, 5:13pm »

Sorry - must have hit wrong key or something - anyway - to continue.  No major CH at all in the last two days.  Teeny Tiny little hits now and then - shadows, etc.  But what an improvement.  I'm sold!  I even had a beer yesterday (first one since this CH-- began), with no bad effects.  Going to keep on going with this stuff.

How is everybody else doing???

Be PF!!  Keep the faith!!

Love ya all. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #213 on: Feb 28th, 2005, 6:04pm »

Kudzubusters.com?
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #214 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 12:19am »

on Feb 28th, 2005, 6:04pm, Bob P wrote:
Kudzubusters.com?

LOL Bob...that's going to be Flo's new website.  Grin

End of Day 25:  Due to a rodent sighting, a 1970s era malfunctioning smoke alarm that can't be unplugged and a very high strung child...last night was sensory hell for me. I awoke with an "almost" hit this morning and today has been my worst day so far. I shadowed slightly higher (k3) for slightly longer (45 mins each) more often ( probably 4 total shadows) today. I'm positive it has to do with the lack of sleep and adrenaline rush from the sensory overload. I have not taken any additional kudzu today, but will tomorrow if necessary. I am also down to 300 mgs of Neurontin a day (since yesterday) which is 1/6 th my prescribed dosage and 1/3 what I was taking when I started the kudzu.
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #215 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 11:09am »

Day 5 on the "zu".

Was able to complete a  full power yoga class, and run 5 miles within the last 24 hours without triggering.  Didn't even have one last night in the middle of the night. One or the other should have triggered a CH, based on where I usually am in my cycle at this point.

Is it the Zu? Hell, I don't know. Something has definitely happened after I started taking it. The cycle was altered in some way -- you all know what I mean -- there is just something different going on, I can't really pin it down.

No side effects that I can tell.  

Cool
IP Logged

seasonal boomer
floridian

Email

« Reply #216 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 11:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Mar 1st, 2005, 12:19am, nani wrote:

LOL Bob...that's going to be Flo's new website.  Grin

No, you won't find me on the kudzubusters website.    

Maybe crazyforkudzu.com or cultofkudzu.org  

Hope today goes better than yesterday, Nani.  
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2005, 11:37am by floridian » IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #217 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 12:19pm »

As some of you may have read on the general board, I just started taking the Zu. Planetary Formulas. The label reads, 750 mg, 120 tablets. "Botanical support for alcohol cessation." Roll Eyes Recommended dosage: 2 tabs T.I.D, between meals. Total daily dosage would be 2250 mg, then, right? Is this a high enough dose? The stuff cost me $20, but if it cost $50, I still would have bought it.

« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2005, 12:19pm by Jeepgun » IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #218 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 12:34pm »

Well, crap...I just had someone who is not old read the small print on the bottle...750 mgs is one serving, which is 2 tablets.  ohjez DOH! I'm only taking 2 tablets a day, so in effect...I started taking 375 mgs a day and now take 750 mgs a day.
Off to call the eye doctor now... Embarassed
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #219 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 12:59pm »

the Natures Way are 613 mg per capsule -- but do have a serving size of 2 capsules, going on to describe the serving size as 1,226 mg. I have been taking 2 capsules per dose, 3 times daily -- so a total of 3,678 mg.

i did find that i had to get to the barber shop today, when I hadn't noticed my hair being that long a few days ago..... think i'm overzuing it?
IP Logged

seasonal boomer
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #220 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 1:16pm »

on Mar 1st, 2005, 12:59pm, seasonalboomer wrote:
the Natures Way are 613 mg per capsule -- but do have a serving size of 2 capsules, going on to describe the serving size as 1,226 mg. I have been taking 2 capsules per dose, 3 times daily -- so a total of 3,678 mg.

i did find that i had to get to the barber shop today, when I hadn't noticed my hair being that long a few days ago..... think i'm overzuing it?

That's hilarious! I just looked in the mirror last night and thought...damn, my hair needs cutting...already!

I don't even care if my lip gets hairy...I'll take relief and mustache waxing anytime.  Grin
IP Logged

clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #221 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 1:36pm »

on Mar 1st, 2005, 12:19pm, Frank_W wrote:
As some of you may have read on the general board, I just started taking the Zu. Planetary Formulas. The label reads, 750 mg, 120 tablets. "Botanical support for alcohol cessation." Roll Eyes Recommended dosage: 2 tabs T.I.D, between meals. Total daily dosage would be 2250 mg, then, right? Is this a high enough dose? The stuff cost me $20, but if it cost $50, I still would have bought it.

Frank (and others) - I have questions about the whole dosage thing.  I posted the following on the survey thread:

Quote:

One thing that raises a question for me is the dosage.  Some people here have posted that they take a blend which is like 750 mgs.  Mine say Kudzu extract, 150mg, 2% daidzin.  On the back of the bottle it lists Kudzu root - 165mg; Kudzu root extract 150mg, of which is guaranteed 2% daidzin.  When asking about the dosage, is it more accurate to ask about the "active" ingredients?  I wonder because I have found significant relief with this mixture, which could be construed as a much smaller dosage than say, the brand taken by nani which is something like 750 mgs.  Is it better to speak of the amount of Kudzu in the mixture rather than the size of the actual pill?

Should we speak more in terms of the amount of kudzu in the tabs, rather than the size of the tabs themselves?  I think that, because we are all not on the same type of pill, it might lead to a lot less confusion.

Just thinking...

Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Where I live: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #222 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 2:16pm »

Well, unfortunately, the label on the Planetary Formulas bottle doesn't list milligrams for active ingredients. It just says, "A proprietary blend" of:

1.5g (daily value not established)
Kudzu Root, Kudzu Flower, Hovenia Fruit, Coptis Root, Poria Cocos Sclerotium, Grifola Sclerotium, Atractylodes Root, Codonopsis Root, Saussurea Root, Shen Qu-Massa Fermentata Extract, Green Citrus Peel, Cardamon Fruit, and Ginger Root.

Other ingredients: Sorbitol, stearic acid, colloidal silicon dioxide, modified cellulose gum, and magnesium stearate.

"Planetary Formulas Kudzu Recovery features the roots and flowers of kudzu (Pueraria lobata) which have long been used in Chinese herbalism to help lessen the desire for alcohol. Researchers have identified two constituents in kudzu responsible for this activity, daidzein and daidzin, which in animal research have been found to cause a similar effect. These are combined with coptis, a primary cleansing and liver-supporting herb from Chinese herbalism and other key botanicals historically used to reduce cravings.

Lifestyle Recommendations: To decrease cravings, maintain adequate caloric intake by eating rregularly scheduled meals, avoid simple sugars, and supplement with GTF chromium and a B-complex vitamin. Avoid excess stress, exercise regularly, and promote a calm mental state of well-being."

A calm mental state? A CALM MENTAL STATE??

okay...  Grin I try...  Wink
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #223 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 2:32pm »

"A calm mental state"

What does Kudzu have to do with Vermont?
IP Logged

seasonal boomer
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #224 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 2:44pm »

I can't decipher any furhter info from the bottle eaither, Casey. You have a good point. I can't get into trying to coordinate that info. Kudzu didn't make me any smarter, I'm afraid.  Undecided  I'm having a better day than yesterday, so I suspect I was right about sensory overload, lack of sleep and adrenaline being a trigger for a bad (only since kudzu - yesterday would've been an "easy" day before I started it) day.  

I have a clusterbuddy who does not post here who is also trying the kudzu. She wanted to report that she has gotten some relief overall, but had to take a trex shot in desperation. She did not feel any adverse effects from it.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11  ...  27 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss