Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 5:15pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 5-HT activity in Kudzu »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   5-HT activity in Kudzu
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17  ...  27 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 5-HT activity in Kudzu  (Read 32699 times)
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

Re: 5-HT activity in Kudzu
« Reply #350 on: Mar 9th, 2005, 9:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

(Sorry Nani, forgot to post to the "kudzu" thread)

Okay, I decided to stop tapering after my lunch dose yesterday and stop altogether. And with un-f&*#@ing believable coincidence to Frank, got hit last night about midnight. On the BRIGHTSIDE...it was only a Kip 3 to 4 and lasted for about 45 minutes. I don't usually get little ones, most of them fully blooming into 6-10's --- so, as I say, not too bad. almost exactly like the ones I got the first couple nights on Kudzu.  A Kip 3 seemed like a walk in the park and I actually found myself with wierd sense of glee that it wasn't advancing last night as I sat in the dark.  

So i'm going to stick it out for a few days off the kudzu and see if the cycle wraps up completely.  

This is not all that disappointing to me. I definitely have results from the Kudzu, and this continued behavior indicates that this stuff is doing something. I'm really trying to test things here to see what the actual effects are -- and since I take nothing else this may give some indication of the potential of Kudzu. We'll see how tonight goes staying off.  

My major concern with Kudzu is whether it is blunting the effect, kind of like white noise, leaving you with a hypothalamajingy that's still on the fritz. Which isn't altogether a bad thing, but I so look forward to a cycle's departure that i'm obsessing on this concern.  
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
Boyce
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #351 on: Mar 9th, 2005, 10:57am »

on Mar 8th, 2005, 10:21am, LeLimey wrote:
okay I have my natures way kudzu and I started off with 2 tabs (613mg) 3 times a day. I'm taking verap too and also b complex and magnesium. All day sunday I was so dizzy I couldn't even sit up without feeling like I was going to fall over.  
SO.. yesterday I cut it to one tab 3x daily and got the brown and tacky stuff hammered out of me last night.
I've decided to try taking 1 tab 6 x a day again today but I'm going to space everything out so I don't take verap and zu at the same time ever.
Has anyone else been really dizzy and did it go?
Other than the dizzyness its been great. Apart from last night I had one hit since starting it but more shadows.

Hey Helen....

I'm taking 150mg Solaray ( http://www.affordablesolaray.com/3680.html ) and the first day or two was taking 2 capsules (300mg) at lunch and two more at bedtime.....and I felt like you describe...tired, weak, and dizzy.  

I started spacing them out, 150 w/breakfast, 150 w/lunch, 150 w/dinner and 150 before bed sleep I don't feel tired/weak/dizzy anymore and have only had shadows since I started the Kudzu, and I can manage them with a couple enteric-coated apsirin...

Hope your PFDAN's continue!  thumbsup

--Boyce
IP Logged
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #352 on: Mar 9th, 2005, 5:58pm »

A vigorous grower, but a few gardening tips for kudzu are here:

http://www.locksley.com/kudzu.htm [/quote]

laugh laugh laugh laugh

Are you kidding????!!!! I think this stuff is growing in my
front yard.  Anyone want to buy my lovely 4 bedroom ranch?
I'm willing to negotiate!
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #353 on: Mar 9th, 2005, 6:07pm »

Wall friends - especially Nani, the Kudzu does not seem to be working for me at all.  It started out great - the first week on it was marvelous - short HA, lower K levels.  I was a very happy camper.  Then, I started getting hits all day long and all night long, when before Kudzu, I only had CH in the evenings.   Also had "other" HA.  It got especially bad during the day when I was at work.  Hits weren't at the 10 level, but they were high enough that I had to shut the door to my office, turn off my phone, and pace around my desk for 15 to 20 minutes.  Not bad you think, but I had to do this at least four times a day, only to go home and get hits all evening and night long. The only meds I was taking was the Kudzu (Nature's Way 613 mg capsules - 2 caps 3 times/day as directed on bottle)  

On Friday 3/4 I stopped "cold turkey" ALL meds.  Used nothing except water and ice pack.  My CH are still with me, unfortunately, but, again, only in the evenings - no at work (just shadows), and no at night.  I'm going to stay in this routine for a week and see how things go. - sort of "clean out my system", so to speak.  Then I'll give the Kudzu another shot and see what happens.

I'm so happy that it's working for so many of you.  Wish I could say the same here.

Luv & kisses  XXXOOO

Kiss Kiss Kiss
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #354 on: Mar 9th, 2005, 8:48pm »

Cry  I'm sorry, Sandy.... Sad

Can you get some oxygen to help you ride out the de-tox? I'm glad you want to try again, I think it's worth a try. I'm sending hugs and PF vibes, sweetie.... hug     Kiss    nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

Re: 5-HT Non-activity in Kudzu
« Reply #355 on: Mar 9th, 2005, 9:49pm »

on Mar 9th, 2005, 6:07pm, Sandy_C wrote:
I'm so happy that it's working for so many of you.  Wish I could say the same here.

Chide thyself not, lass. Every vote counts, both negative and positive. A 100% success rate would be kind of unbelievable. How's the "yellow" thing going?  

Keep the faith.
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #356 on: Mar 9th, 2005, 10:48pm »

Off the Verap for 4 days now.  Since I went off the Verap I have experienced a definite increase in shadows/minor hits.  Not too much, way less painful and way less frequent than my normal hits/shadows.  Although the shadows on that first day were worse than they are now.

Tomorrow will be day 21 on Kudzu for me.  Not completely pain free, but an incredible improvement from where I was 3 weeks ago.  

On the downside, I only have enough Kudzu to get me through tomorrow, and then I am out.  My local store ran out, and ordered more for me, and promised it would be there by tomorrow.  I found it at the store down the street, but it is a different brand/concentration/concotion, and I want to stay with what I know works.  I am in class all freakin day tomorrow, so hopefully I can get it Friday without skipping a beat. Cutting it close tough.

Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Where I live: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com
Shiraj
New Board Newbie
USA 

ow

king0fsnake

« Reply #357 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 12:14am »

hey seasonal boomer good luck to ya. Im about to try the same thing. My cycle should be just about over and im stepping down the dose to only 750mg a day from 3000. I hope the cycle actually ends and wasnt just being delayed or some such bullsh*t.
IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #358 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 8:07am »

Good luck, Shiraj.

After going completely OFF of kudzu, I got hit pretty hard, the night before last, so yesterday, I took a dose in the morning, and another, just before bed. I was completely pain-free yesterday, and didn't get hit last night, either. Life is good! Smiley
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #359 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 9:49am »

Stayed out of the zu Tuesday and Wed and into today and didn't have any hits last night. Full night of sleep except for my sweet Lab waking me up for "potties" at about 3:41 a.m. I didn't go hard at the vigorous exercise last night as I had planned (just didn't feel like challenging things that directly) -- we'll see how gutsy I feel tonight.

That news from SandyC is sad, but you still see it did "something". This stuff, even in those that are not experiencing great relief, is goofing with cycles in some manner. Hoping Flo's making some sense of the limited data being yielded.
IP Logged

seasonal boomer
floridian

Email

« Reply #360 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 10:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Mar 10th, 2005, 9:49am, seasonalboomer wrote:
This stuff, even in those that are not experiencing great relief, is goofing with cycles in some manner. Hoping Flo's making some sense of the limited data being yielded.  

The data gives a strong indication that kudzu does help many people with clusters - I think it is clearly beyond any random sampling error or 'placebo' effect.  It gives decent to excellent relief to maybe 80% of the people that tried it (rough approximation, haven't crunched numbers yet).  

It isn't a cure - it is a treatment.  It helps some people that were not able to control their headaches using other therapies. Reported side effects are mostly mild and seem to be less a problem when the dose is divided up more.  

13 people have given one week data, and a few more people have reported good results but haven't filled out the 1 week survey.  
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #361 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 10:51am »

Cool!
another weapon in the batbelt.
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #362 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 11:19am »

Quote:
Reported side effects are mostly mild and seem to be less a problem when the dose is divided up more.

Just wondering if the "pulsing technique' that Chedden introduced for Lithium would be as affective with the Kudzu.
any info on 1/2 life, absorbtion time with the kudzu?
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #363 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 12:09pm »

on Mar 10th, 2005, 11:19am, karma wrote:

Just wondering if the "pulsing technique' that Chedden introduced for Lithium would be as affective with the Kudzu.
any info on 1/2 life, absorbtion time with the kudzu?

I think some of us have taken that approach already. If there's any regularity to hits and shadows, dose before them. I'm not sure it has to be as complicated as the lithium method that was introduced. Early on in this trial, I developed a "regular" 10:30 PM shadow. (I am never regular.) If I took my kudzu by 10 PM....no shadow.
IP Logged

vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #364 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 12:11pm »

I imagine the pulsing teCHnique could be applied to any of the medicines to enhance their effectiveness.

a big question still to be answered is what happens after Kudzu is withdrawn.

Will the symptoms return? or is the cycle broken for good?

Right now all we know is that it stops the pain (or masks most of it) while taking multiple daily doses...
right?
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2005, 2:07pm by vig » IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #365 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 12:37pm »

I've reduced my dosage of kudzu to twice a day. I take two tablets upon awakening, with my multi-vitamin. Then, just prior to sleep, I take the other dose of kudzu. So far, this seems to be working well.
IP Logged

toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #366 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 7:24pm »

Doing the zu 16 days now. Did great for the first 8 days,just a few shadows.Then a killer,didn't last long but a kip 9 for sure.Then another week almost PF.But today as soon as I got home from work the friggin' deamon stabbed me in my right eye.02'd my way out of it,and now just dealing with some shadows.I'm going to increase my Kudzu by 1/3 and start taking one in the morning and two at bedtime(I'm doing the Solray extract 150 mg.)Hope it works.Sure do appreciate the input all of you have put into this thread.For the first time in many years I've found something that might really work.Just have to fine tune my dosage.Thanks to all and have a PF night. CheesyDavid
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #367 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 8:23pm »

David, last week, there was a day when I got nailed with three low-level hits throughout the day, so before bed, I took a fourth dose. That seemed to do the trick with no adverse side effects. The next day, I was back down to the normal dosage. I don't know if this will help you in a similar manner or not... PFDAN's to you, bro'.
IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #368 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 9:22pm »

[quote author=vig link=board=meds;num=1107368408;start=350#364 date=03/10/05 at 12:11:48]I imagine the pulsing teCHnique could be applied to any of the medicines to enhance their effectiveness.

a big question still to be answered is what happens after Kudzu is withdrawn.
Will the symptoms return? or is the cycle broken for good?

Right now all we know is that it stops the pain (or masks most of it) while taking multiple daily doses...
right?[/
quote]

I've been thinking about that first question for a couple of days now, Paul. I am not anxious to find out in my case. But it's a question that should be answered, especially for chronics. I'm enjoying too much PF time to put myself out there on that limb yet. Like Frank, I'd be willing to take it everyday for the rest of my life if it continued to give me this much relief.  

As for your second question... Right.
Tomorrow I will have been on this for 5 full weeks. My PF time has increased to about 95% of the time. I am still taking only 1/2 the recommended amount on the bottle. And I've drastically reduced my prescription prevents, also, hoping to get off them completely at some point.  I think the biggest change for me though, is not so much the PF time, but the way I deal with the pain. Before kudzu, I would have an occasional moment here and there during the day when I'd think..."Hey, I'm PF at this moment!" And I'd savor each minute, because they were so few and far between. Now, every so often I notice I'm having a little shadow and I think "F*ck...a shadow....what a PITA!" But then, it's gone in a couple of minutes and I go right back to taking PF time for granted.  Smiley

Edited to add: My local herb store was out of kudzu the other day, so I went online and ordered from www.iherb.com  I went for free standard shipping and the bottles cost $5.00 less already. I ordered it Tues and I just received it today!
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2005, 9:36pm by nani » IP Logged

Boyce
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #369 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 10:25pm »

on Mar 10th, 2005, 9:22pm, nani wrote:

.......snip.......

And I'd savor each minute, because they were so few and far between. Now, every so often I notice I'm having a little shadow and I think "F*ck...a shadow....what a PITA!" But then, it's gone in a couple of minutes and I go right back to taking PF time for granted.  Smiley

.....snip.......

I know that feeling as well....pain free days are kinda like sex...they're easy to take for granted until you're not getting any  Grin

8AM tomorrow morning will be exactly one week off Relpax and onto Kudzu for me.....have to remember to fill out the survery....

g'night all....   snore
IP Logged
godsjoy777
New Board Veteran
USA 

HIS name is above clusters

godsjoy777  
Email

« Reply #370 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 11:59pm »

I had one night where I only got hit once...small li'l hit that went away with O2 and then slept .....then one FULL WONDERFUL NIGHT.......aaaahhhhhh Grin where I slept all the way through the night without a cluster at all......then last night I got hit twice....about a kip 4 to 6.....hmmmm...a bit of a bummer as my hopes got up.....this cycle is the wierdest ever.....I wonder if it will ever wind down....either way I'm taking 2 pills in the am and 3 pills at night of Nature's Way and its time to buy some more....hmmmm....don't know what kind this time....but either way I think it might be helping and I don't want to stop....
G'night all....sleep well....and pain free! Kiss
IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #371 on: Mar 11th, 2005, 7:58am »

Okay: Back to the regular recommended dosage, today. I got nailed last night with a Kip-6 that lasted for about forty minutes. *sigh*
IP Logged

clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #372 on: Mar 11th, 2005, 8:09am »

Sorry about the hits Frank.  I hope it improves.

I had shadows all day yesterday.  And I feel them again this morning.  I have been off ther Verapamil for like a week now, and am wondering if it leaving my system is what is screwing me up.  On the other hand, it may be that the Kudzu and Verapamil together were doing something good for me.  If the shadows continue/worsen, then I will try going back on Verapamil at a low dose at first, and see what happens.

BTW - Do we have the record for longest thread yet?  Not that it matters, just wondering?

Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Where I live: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #373 on: Mar 11th, 2005, 9:17am »

Whatever's working for you, Casey: Stick with it!!

That's why I'm going back to the recommended dosage. I know it worked, and I know it will continue to work.

As for the longest thread, this one is certainly getting there, isn't it? LOL

Hang in there! PFDAN's!
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #374 on: Mar 11th, 2005, 9:30am »

Haven't had anymore kudzu in 4 days now. No hits since Monday's brain tickle. I've decided I won't push it by trying to catch up on marathon training and simply withdraw from Apr 16th marathon. Moments of clarity --- run and get hit hard, or relax and be painfree, hmmmmmmmmmm.  

Sorry to hear your getting hit Frank. I feel as though my test is showing that my cycle wasn't extended as I feared and that as a preventative it did what I hoped for during cycle -- and after a transition day or two I seem okay coming off of it. And the fear that Kim had yesterday that you may have to take it through your whole cycle may be true --- leaving you to be the judge of when you think your cycle is truly ending and the timing of coming off of it. Since there seems to be these wierd transition days upsetting the cycle behavior with wierd hits, goofed up timing, etcc... it is probably best to be safer than sorry --- since the there don't seem to be any substantive side effects.
IP Logged

seasonal boomer
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17  ...  27 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss