Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 4:01pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 5-HT activity in Kudzu »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   5-HT activity in Kudzu
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18  ...  27 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 5-HT activity in Kudzu  (Read 32693 times)
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

Re: 5-HT activity in Kudzu
« Reply #375 on: Mar 11th, 2005, 10:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks, Boomer. I don't mind taking this stuff for the duration of the cycle. The thought of it doesn't bother me in the least. Smiley

I'm glad your cycle seems to be coming to an end. I tried going off of the kudzu for a few days, and was pain-free until the third day, so be cautious, yet optimistic. Good luck and PFDAN's!
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #376 on: Mar 11th, 2005, 12:24pm »

The strangest thing happened to me this morning. I think the best way to describe it is a "phantom" hit. I noticed my left (cluster side) nostril running for a few minutes, than my left eye started watering and drooping...a lot. I looked in the mirror and saw a k9 face... really droopy eye with some swelling. My eyelid was twitching, too. But the strange thing...absolutely NO PAIN. Not even activity or pressure to speak of. Just like a hit would've, it lasted about 40 minutes. I drove mooshie to school and even ran a couple of errands and it didn't affect me in the least. Hmmm...
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #377 on: Mar 11th, 2005, 12:53pm »

"I looked in the mirror and saw a k9 face"

Nani,

So, was it like a German shepherd, or more like a Lab face?

On as serious note. That's freaky isn't it. Something is wierd with this stuff. As most of us discard most of our vanity at the entrance to the CH festival, I guess i'll take K9 face and no pain, asopposed to K9 face with M-80 eye.

IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #378 on: Mar 11th, 2005, 12:57pm »

on Mar 11th, 2005, 12:53pm, seasonalboomer wrote:

"I looked in the mirror and saw a k9 face"

Nani,

So, was it like a German shepherd, or more like a Lab face?

On as serious note. That's freaky isn't it. Something is wierd with this stuff. As most of us discard most of our vanity at the entrance to the CH festival, I guess i'll take K9 face and no pain, asopposed to K9 face with M-80 eye.

ROTFLMAO, Scott!!! I didn't even notice that! If I had to pick a breed...maybe a pug? I agree...pain free and droopy works for me.
IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #379 on: Mar 11th, 2005, 4:39pm »

Well, it's been a full week since I stopped the Kudzu.  Hasn't been a very pleasant week, but at least I think the "system is cleaned out now".  Going to begin the Kudzu again tomorrow.  This time, I think I'll try pulsing the doses.  Instead of 2 morning, 2 noon, and 2 evening, I'll spread the 6 capsules out evenly between 7:00 AM and bedtime.  We'll see.  Wish me luck!

IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #380 on: Mar 11th, 2005, 4:43pm »

Good luck, Sandy. I noticed the same thing: When I take the final dose too early in the evening, I still get hit at night. If I leave it until just prior to going to bed, I don't get hit. PFDAN's.
IP Logged

Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #381 on: Mar 12th, 2005, 12:29am »

on Mar 11th, 2005, 12:24pm, nani wrote:
I think the best way to describe it is a "phantom" hit. I noticed my left (cluster side) nostril running for a few minutes, than my left eye started watering and drooping...a lot. . really droopy eye with some swelling. My eyelid was twitching, too. But the strange thing...absolutely NO PAIN.. Hmmm...

This is something that some people using shrooms mention. Sometimes a few of the related autonomic responses remain for a while, as the cyle ends. The first thing to go is the pain....which, if we all had our choice, would be just that.

If you were a shroomer....I'd advise taking a small booster dose to wipe out the remaining vestiges of the cycle if they continued. Not that I know anything about the kudzu treatment but you might want to consider upping your dose for a day or two?, if these signs continue or worsen. I know you've been holding back on that very thing but I'd be interested in hearing what your kudzu buds think.

keep the faith,
An interested spectator,
Bobw

IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
jokrs2
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Eventually He will make us pain free!

Email

« Reply #382 on: Mar 12th, 2005, 12:38pm »

Hi everyone.  
I have just completed my 8th day on Planetary Formula Kudzu Recovery 750mg pill 3x/day between meals. During this time I went through complete Morphine withrawal after taking daily for the last 14 years. During the last 9 days I have not taken Imitrex. Because of the properties of the Kudzu my withrawal symptoms were not at all severe peaking at 32 - 35 hours and it has now been over 58 hours and I just have some residual sneezing and low back ache, but not bad. I had a CH hit 2 days ago while I was in full withdrawal but it never went to a 10. CH GREATLY diminished with only a slight shadow this morning. Hits are not lasing as long and I didn't have a full blown one when I woke this morning. I would like to add that I believe the Morphine was not helping my CH as is now evident, and was actually causing rebound migraine. I am so excited about the results of Kudzu I am now covered with goosebumps telling you about my experience with it. I for one will be staying with Kudzu from here on, what a Godsend. Hoping everyone else finds their answer and relief. God bless.  Cheesy  Your friend, Joe
IP Logged

Given strength, courage & a sound mind!
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #383 on: Mar 12th, 2005, 3:39pm »

and I have goosebumps reading your post Joe.

God bless ya man!
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #384 on: Mar 12th, 2005, 6:04pm »

OUTSTANDING, Joe!! WHOO-HOO!!! *shooting off Roman Candles* Fantastic!!
IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #385 on: Mar 13th, 2005, 12:30pm »

Day 37 on kudzu....
observations:
While I may be 98% PF all week, weekends are only about 80%. The shadows are still short lived and easy, but there are more of them. I'm not sure why, yet...

I have cut way down on other prevents, but I ran out of Verapamil and found that morning to be especially difficult. I have very high BP, so that's probably why.

I did increase the kudzu the day after the "phantom" hit, but I'm not sure it made much difference. Since I'm chronic and big hits never had much of a pattern, I'm not sure it makes much difference. I still did not have any pain during that "hit".  

And finally...
the other night I took the kids out for ice cream. The place was packed, very noisy and had ceiling fans that threw strobe like shadows all over the place. Normally, these things would have been triggers. In a way, they were. While I had absolutely no pain or even activity...I suddenly became as agitated and unable to be still as if I were getting hit. All the physical and emotional responses to a CH, except for the actual HA. I had to pace outside the shop while my hubby and kids enjoyed ice cream.  Sad

edited to add:  I'm still not complaining, mind you...I wouldn't trade this for anything.  

Ooops...and another observation I forgot to add before:

Kudzu has not helped with my inability to sleep like normal people. I still suffer from insomnia and get overwhelmingly sleepy in the middle of the day.
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2005, 1:39pm by nani » IP Logged

LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #386 on: Mar 13th, 2005, 12:48pm »

Nani my husband gets migraines and he always seems to get them at weekends. He has a theory that because you have more of a set regime thourgh the week, work school etc that when you interrupt that at weekends it is what triggers his migraines. Seems to make sense to me... what do you think?
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #387 on: Mar 13th, 2005, 12:54pm »

on Mar 13th, 2005, 12:48pm, LeLimey wrote:
Nani my husband gets migraines and he always seems to get them at weekends. He has a theory that because you have more of a set regime thourgh the week, work school etc that when you interrupt that at weekends it is what triggers his migraines. Seems to make sense to me... what do you think?

That does make sense, Helen. Thanks.
IP Logged

floridian

Email

« Reply #388 on: Mar 13th, 2005, 2:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Yep, sleeping and eating get less regular during the weekend.  When applicable, more alcohol consumed over the weekends.  More time spent in bright light.  Etc.  

Quote:
Headache. 1999 Jan;39(1):11-20.  

Weekend headache: a retrospective study in migraine without aura and episodic tension-type headache.

Torelli P, Cologno D, Manzoni GC.   From the Headache Center, Institute of Neurology, University of Parma, Italy.

Our retrospective study was aimed at determining the existence of weekend headache and, if so, whether it has the same clinical features as migraine without aura and episodic tension-type headache, or whether it occurs as a separate form of headache which could find its own place in the International Headache Society classification. For this study, we reviewed the clinical records of 120 patients with migraine without aura and 120 patients with episodic tension-type headache randomly selected among all those referred to the Headache Center of the University of Parma Institute of Neurology between 1985 and 1996. A review of these records suggests that weekend headache exists for both types of headache considered. Clinically, it is interesting to note that the male-to-female ratio for the weekend form of tension-type headache was 1:1, as opposed to 1:3 for general episodic tension-type headache. As regards classification, no evidence so far seems to suggest that weekend headache should be considered as an independent entity. Apart from certain features that appear to be peculiar to this form of headache-such as increased pain intensity-it thoroughly fulfills the diagnostic criteria of the primary headaches from which it evolves. Finally, a few clinical features suggest that the weekend may simply be a triggering factor in migraine without aura attacks, while playing a major role in episodic tension-type headache. However, weekend headache is a clinical entity that clearly needs further study.
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2005, 2:51pm by floridian » IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #389 on: Mar 13th, 2005, 3:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Caffeine withdrawal a trigger among big coffee drinkers that sleep late:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed &dopt=Abstract&list_uids=1576651

not CH specific, but maybe relevant.
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2005, 3:06pm by floridian » IP Logged
ozzy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

As I Am

WWW Email

« Reply #390 on: Mar 13th, 2005, 9:18pm »

My Kudzu report, day # (no clue, it's been a month at least) Since it's been working so great for me, I decided it was time to help my wife with her "monthly"migraines. She responds incredibly well to the triptans. So she started on 3 kudzu's a day. Halfway though the wekk, without an ounce of pain she decided that it was working well enough so she stopped taking them. 24 hours later she got hit with a pretty good migraine. (as I found out before, 'dzu is great for shaodws, not for actual hits) At this point she decided to take Imitrex NS. It usually works. Not this time, it hardly touched it. She had to take a second dose later that day to reduce the intensity of the migraine. Since then. She had one more migraine. This week is over and we learned the lesson(s). Next time, she will take 'dzu for the whole episode.  

The second lesson (possibly, or just conjecture) is that Imitrex, or perhaps other triptans may not work as desired during kudzu treatment.

I also think that there is some additive effects with the kudzu, i.e. the longer you take it, the more stable your system becomes. At some point, you reduce the dose until, you don't need it. Only time will tell.

Ozzy
IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #391 on: Mar 14th, 2005, 7:42am »

Fantastic, Ozzy! The news on kudzu just seems to get better and better... Smiley
IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #392 on: Mar 14th, 2005, 8:27am »

Kutzu- round two update.

On Friday I told you I was going to try the zu route again on Saturday morning, since first attempt failed miserbly.  Friday night, Igot hit with a lovely k9 right before dinner, which I completely missed (and we were having steak and crab legs!  Cry).  Horrible night.  

Saturday morning, heavy, heavy shadows and sheer exhaustion.  Took first zu (1 cap) at 7:00 am, and spread them out, one cap every three hours (6 total for the day).  No major hits on Saturday, just all day long shadows and tiredness (lack of sleep, I'm sure).

Sunday morning dawned - gorgeous weather - gorgeous day.   Some baby shadows here and there but absolutely nothing happened.  Went shopping with hubby to "fun places" like Home Depot and Lowe's (oh joy).  Had lovely dinner last night and sat down for a nice evening.  At 8:40 got CH - about a level 5, lasting until 9:20.  Not bad.  Then, for the rest of the night had very very sharp pains in the tri-whatever it is nerves (i can't spell it and I sure as heck can't pronounce it).  These were not like my typical CH - no droopy eye, no runny nose, just these God awful shooting, stabbing pains in my head from top of scalp all over right side down into right side of neck.  One "attack" would come on and last about 20 to 30 minutes, and then back off for maybe an hour until the next one.  I was up half the night with them.

What is this?????l   Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

Sticking with the zu, though.  Not gonna give up without a good fight.

IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #393 on: Mar 14th, 2005, 9:20am »

Sandy, when I first started the kudzu, I was getting some "icepick" pains, but they were very shortlived. I used to get them now and then before kudzu as well, but they increased my first few days on kudzu.  
I don't know if your's are the same, since they last much longer.  Huh
Gosh...I hope you feel lots better very soon.
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #394 on: Mar 14th, 2005, 10:27am »

A full week after stopping taking Kudzu root extract and I feel as though my cycle has indeed finished. A PF weekend which included running in warm temperatures and red wine (that's not bragging --- that's my way of taking a big stick and poking the beast to see if he's really in hibernation or simply taking a short breather.)

My summary of the experience. All indications are that it worked and I think anyone who is either not having success with other preventatives, or is tired of the side effects from their present med regime should give it a try. There is very little to lose, it would seem --- and the potential of a great gain and improvement of quality of life.

If and when my Fall cycle shows signs of coming I will start immediately with the Kudzu again and evaluate the efficacy again at that time.

Many thanks to all keeping all this info flowing and PF days to everyone. Floridian, you're quite a CH citizen. Please feel free to contact me regarding my experience if you have questions.

Scott

« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2005, 10:30am by seasonalboomer » IP Logged

seasonal boomer
clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #395 on: Mar 14th, 2005, 10:45am »

on Mar 14th, 2005, 8:27am, Sandy_C wrote:

Sticking with the zu, though.  Not gonna give up without a good fight.

Way to go Sandy.  Whether its with Kudzu or something else, fight the beast.  I hope it gets better for you.  I have had some bouts with sharp shooting pains on my cluster side since taking the Kudzu.  They ususally are very short lived, and quite frustrating.  

Stick with it and let us know how it turns out.

Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Where I live: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com
ozzy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

As I Am

WWW Email

Re: 5-HT activity in KudzuScott,
« Reply #396 on: Mar 14th, 2005, 10:58am »

Sandy,

that is similar to what I felt the first day. It waned with time to PF

Scott,

Congratulations! Way to kick the beast's ass!!

Ozzy
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2005, 10:59am by ozzy » IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #397 on: Mar 14th, 2005, 11:10am »

cool stuff people, keep it comin'....
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #398 on: Mar 14th, 2005, 11:14am »

That's great, Scott! I'm so happy for you!  Grin
Don't go away...stick around and encourage others!!
IP Logged

Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #399 on: Mar 14th, 2005, 12:00pm »

Wonderful, Scott!! I've been taking two kudzu and one half of my two-a-day multi-vitamin as soon as I awaken. Then, around 3-4 in the afternoon, I take the second dose of both. Then, just prior to sleep, I take the third dose of kudzu. This has kept me pain-free, so far. Smiley
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18  ...  27 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss